Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fig Cake

My sister-in-law, Sunni, made this fig cake for my hubby's birthday in August. I did not expect that I would like fig cake. Boy, was I wrong. This stuff is SO delicious, you will want to lick the plate. She said this is a family recipe from their Cousin Betty down in Moulton, AL. I'm glad it found its way to us and now I'm sharing it with all of you.

Fig Cake

3 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk (do not use non-fat)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups sugar (I cut the sugar down slightly)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves

1 & 1/3 to 1 & 1/2 cups chopped figs (don't crush them, but gently chop with knife or fig preserves will work too)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, fold in pecans and figs. Pour into greased & floured Bundt pan. Bake at 350* for approx. 30 -35 min. Check for done-ness with toothpick. Mine wasn't done after 30 mins. so I left it in about 5-10 more minutes.

Buttermilk Glaze

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 TBL light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring all ingredients to a rolling boil and cook 3 min. Allow glaze to cool before drizzling over cake. use toothpick to poke holes in cake, so glaze can go down into it. Next time, I will cut the butter in half for the glaze. I think it would be just as good.
Come back here and tell me you love me for sharing this recipe. Your family will kiss you after they lick their plates.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

28 friends stopped by:

Tara said...

Rhoda

Southern home recipes are the best---I'm going to try it!

:0)
Tara

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I've have been looking for a bundt pan at garage sales for awhile, but now I'm going to have to break the bank and buy one. This looks delicious!!! I love figs and never had or heard of fig cake.
I love your recipes and know I'm in for a treat. Thank Sunni for sharing..and you of course! Mary

dec0r8or said...

Hey I have an idea! How 'bout somebody ELSE bakes that and sends it up north to poor ol' me? Hee! (I'm not much of a baker, but BOY does that look GOOOOOD!)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so happy to find this wonderful looking fig recipe. Yum.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I notice they have fresh figs on sale at Publix...Ta-da!
Thanks for the idea.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, this looks scrumptious! I love fig preserves and fig cake. My grandmother used to make both. I will definitely try this and really appreciate you sharing the recipe!

XO,

Sheila

Joanna said...

That looks delicious! I will have to make this for my dad. He loves figs! Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

paintergal said...

I don't think I've ever had figs. Are they similar in taste to dates? (Of which, I haven't had many! Ha!)

The Berry's Patch said...

Scrum-delicious! I love all your recipes!!!

Ms. Tee said...

I love figs - I can't wait to try this one! :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey Carol (paintergal), figs are different than dates, but they cook down & you really can't tase them in there. Think fig Newtons, but I really don't like fig Newtons, but I sure like this cake,

By the way, I think you could cut 1/2 the butter out in that glaze & it would still be fine. It calls for a whole stick of butter, next time I'm going to cut it in 1/2. It's very buttery & moist, swimming in that glaze. I think y'all will like it!

My parents have fig trees, so I'm sure my mom will make one of these for my dad. I took some for them to try when I went to the mountains.

Blogger said...

CAKE!!!!!!!!! And a yummy looking one at that, I'm definitely going to make this one, thanks for the recipe, Rhoda!!!

Bella

Unknown said...

Hey! Awesome! I have to bake something for Bible Study in the morning. Maybe I'll make that ....

Thanks!

~~Liz~~

Anonymous said...

Yum!! My dad has a fig tree in his back yard and just gave me a baby fig tree that sprouted from his. We have fresh figs all the time and they're TDF! I love dried figs and eat them all the time. This recipe sounds like a keeper - and I don't even bake! LOL

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, yes, you are loved! I have an especial weakness for buttermilk icing. I haven't ever made a fig cake (although I seem to recall a recipe from the 70s that called for a jar of fig baby food?? Or did I dream it?).

I can't wait to make this. It's such a fresh dessert to serve during fall, perfect for Halloween parties and even Thanksgiving dinner. ((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful and definitely one to try! The buttermilk glaze sounds especially divine.

Your room redo looks great. It is amazing what moving around and adding from your own collection will do for a room.

Have a great weekend,
Jen

Bo said...

I have tried and LOVED every recipe you have posted (since I've been reading your blog) so...even though I detest FIG NEWTONS (& now I've read you do too)..by golly, I'm going to try this one...but I guess I'll have to be using Fig Preserves...don't think I've ever seen fresh figs in any of our gro. stores...OK..I'll report back later..my DH LOVES Fig Newtons so he'll probably LOVE this cake.. Thanks! ;-) Bo

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Oh. My. Word...

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and love it. I've not made a fig cake but yours sounds delicious.
Very informative blog. Love it. :)
Judy

Lorilee said...

MMMM sounds yummy. I made fig preserves a few weeks ago. They are one of my favorits. My mom made a fig preserve cake. I want to try your recipe!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Thanks, Rho! Looks delicious...I don't mind a fig newton or two, so I bet this will be yummy!

aimee said...

I truly am a Yankee. The only figs I have ever eaten were in Fig Newtons. LOL! I seriously need to get out more. I'm baking this next week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing-it looks yummy for the tummy. Plan to go to local curb market and buy some figs and make this week.

Cindy said...

I love figs and that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Ihave a fig tree in my front yard. I hope they get ripe soon. This looks delish!-Lorie

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I have eaten figs my entire life but have never had fig cake! I am so anxious to try this! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! I've never had fig cake, but this recipe sounds like a keeper. I'll make a copy for sure.

Hugs!
Kat

Shirley said...

I made this cake this weekend. It is to die for. I made it with fig preserves.