Thursday, September 4, 2008

A ReDesign: Before & After


BEFORE
Before and after pics are the best way to show the changes in a room. I recently had the pleasure of working with a new client, Melissa, who got married in June and moved into her hubby's established home. She called me after seeing the newspaper article with my business information and asked for help. She really wanted to bring more of her personality into the house and meld their two styles together and she was having a hard time figuring that out. I went out and met with them, we came up with a plan of action and Melissa began to shop for a few key pieces that we initially talked about.

Melissa and her hubby knew what they liked, they just needed some clearcut direction on how to get the ideal familyroom put together. We also worked on the foyer. You can see from these pics that a very bad faux finish was in place. It was there when her hubby moved in the house and he didn't bother to change it. That was one of the first things I addressed and advised them to paint out that foyer one color, the same color that was flowing up the stairs.
AFTER BEFORE

Luckily, they still had some of that paint and she was able to get that done pronto. Her hubby had purchased this bench and shelves from Pottery Barn and while they are great looking pieces, they did nothing to enhance the foyer space. This should be the place to make that first impression when someone comes in the door. Bad faux finishes and cluttery furniture don't do the trick! So, I advised Melissa to shop for a foyer table they could both be happy with, as well as a nice colorful piece of art for the walls.

AFTER
And here is the AFTER, foyer table in place and the artwork. She added a new lamp and a few new accessories here. She picked up this other smaller companion oil painting for the little nook going into their bedroom and they both make a nice statement.
BEFOREBEFORE: This is the room as it was when I first met with them, except the old rug was very neutral, with no color. This is already the new rug in place. I told Melissa that once everything that was needed was purchased and in her house, I would come back over and we would empty out the room and I would put it all back together again. Just like on TV! And that's exactly what I did.
BEFORE: Wall on right coming into the familyroom, a set of Pottery Barn bookshelves with a fountain in the middle. AFTER: Melissa already owned the olive green sofa pictured here, so that was brought in and the rug was the only other thing she purchased for this room. I brought back all the accessories and shopped other rooms in the house to fill in where it was needed. We talked about colors to bring in and decided to get a rug that had olive greens that will pull into their diningroom, as well as working with the olive sofa. I told her I would like to bring some blues into the room and she was very excited about that, so made sure the new rug had blues in it. We used all her things and just moved them all around. That's the fun part about a redesign! Notice the fireplace here. It got a makeover too, per my instructions, and they did that after this redesign day. BEFORE: The red brick fireplace was a little blah and needed some major perking up. I advised them to glaze or paint the brick to tone it down & make it flow better with the contemporary feel of the room. She ordered a fireplace glazing kit and they did it themselves. I also told her to paint the mantel black. Notice the changes above the fireplace too, when you see the "After" shot below.
AFTER: The newly glazed fireplace looks great! Since their dogs are a big part of their family, I brought this dog pic from another room and it's Melissa's favorite pic, so why not highlight it over the fireplace? She had this pair of faux plants and I added them up there for some visual height and fun. ALL AFTER: This shows the Pottery Barn bookshelves moved to another wall and pushed together for more impact. This area was great for displaying all their collectibles. I used all their artwork, just moved them to different areas.
The bookcase was moved to this large wall, where it takes center stage in front of the sofa. It's a very pretty piece and looks much better on this wall where it can be appreciated. The blue fish on top was brought in from the bedroom and she already had the mirror, I just added it to the mix. The plant up there is real and looks pretty trailing along the top. Those 4 prints are original photographs that her hubby took.
Back to the bookshelves, I arranged all of those with pretty books they had, along with collectibles and family photos for a very pleasing look. All the pops of blue really add a nice contrast to the black shelves, as do the photographs on the wall above.
I loved the & sign and decided to display it in the middle. They had some nice pieces to work with that meant something too. You can see the pops of blue in the accessories, which really work well in the room.
I added a sofa table behind the sofa, with a lamp (brought in from the bedroom), accessories, and the artwork that used to be over the fireplace. See the pops of blue in the candles and single pillow on the sofa? Works well to bring in that color around the room.
They have large windows in this room that bring in a lot of light. I advised her to just leave them open with no other window treatments since this room is casual. They have blinds so don't really need more fabric in here, so we'll just leave them alone. I love the big real ficus tree in the corner.
You can see what a colorful rug she found and I thought it was perfect for them. This was one case where I sent them to do the shopping, since they already know what they like. That worked best in this case and then I came in and did the redesign of the room to pull it all together. I just loved using what they already had to completely change the space.

Melissa sent me the sweetest email:

Rhoda, thank you so much for yesterday. I have enjoyed my room SO much! This morning I got up at 6:30 to just sit in there and drink my coffee. It is so peaceful which is what I was looking for. Now, I can enjoy my home! Thank you so much. This was more than just a room re-do. I can't tell you how much peace it gives me and totally eliminated conflicts. Thank you, you are heaven sent! You had the greatest ideas, and pulled them together with expertise and ease!!


Now, THAT makes my day! Hope you enjoyed the redo! I sure enjoyed orchestrating it. Thank you Melissa, for allowing me to come in your home.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

70 friends stopped by:

Missy Wertz said...

Rhoda, This looks so nice! And those foyer walls! Thank God you can to the rescue!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, you did such a nice job with this redesign. Sounds like the client is a happy camper, too. Isn't it wonderful to help someone have a nest they can truly enjoy? Way to go! I love happy endings. :-)

Hugs,

Sheila

Georgia Girl said...

Oh I love all the changes....I just wish I had that eye of yours. I really need some major help in my new house. Boy maybe soon I can figure what to do and where. I am reading a lot lately. Thanks for sharing!

duchess said...

What a nice family room & it looks so comfortable. It seems to reflect their personalities really well.

Good job.

paintergal said...

I didn't realize you were taking on clients. You did a great job on their house and I'm sure the owners are enjoying it.
I especially love what you did in the foyer.

Twice as Nice said...

Great job Rhoda! It is so much more warm and welcoming. It just goes to show that you don't have to purchase expensive pieces, just use what you have properly. The transformation is awesome.

Michelle said...

Rhoda, the makeover looks lovely!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhoda, The makeover was great! And I was impressed that you used most of what she already had! :)

~Rhonda :)

Kristi said...

You did an AMAZING job, you are so talented and have a great eye for these things. That comment you received make me love you even more. You are not just about aesthetics, but about comfort, providing a peaceful haven and personalizing a space for the person you are working with. I wish I could have you help me with our house... just for a day! (It takes me forever to do one little thing and then I often agonize over whether I did the right thing).

Anonymous said...

Nice job! It was great that you used what they already had - just moved things to a better position. And I love the foyer - it looks so much more inviting and less cluttered.

Bo said...

Wow...is it too much to ask you to try out for DESIGN STAR?...or is it, who needs the aggravation when you are already building a happy clientele? ;-) Bo

Lettered Cottage said...

Rhoda,

I enjoyed reading through and looking at all the photos in this post. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Becky said...

WOW!!! Rhoda, what a GREAT job! The room looks so inviting now.

sandra/tx said...

That's a great redesign, Rho. Both rooms look so much better.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
Wow, that's a great transformation. I love how playful it all turned out! Sounds like you had a wonderful homeowner to work with too! Thanks for sharing.

-Hayley

Deserae said...

What a huge difference you made with a few new pieces of furniture and re-arranging and accessorizing!!!!! The rooms look fabulous...great job :o)
~Des

Carry Grace said...

What a great redesign! I really love the fireplace.

Beth at Aunties said...

You have a wonderful eye and turned a ordinary space into an inviting and relaxing home to be in. It seems you made a happy couple happier! Great re-design.
Beth

KM Studios said...

Hi Rhoda,
(this is my verry first post here...ta da!!)
Anyway..nice transformation! I especialy like the bright colored art work in both the foyer & over the mantle. It ties the rug in well perfectly!
Nice use of a bright palete!
Ill certainly be checking back for more eye candy!

windycorner said...

What a difference! You brought balance into that room beautifully.
Holley

nikkicrumpet said...

Wow what an amazing change. Even some of the very subtle things had a huge impact. The fireplace is especially a much needed change. I love the black mantel. You really did a great job and I can see why they think you were sent from Heaven!

Kat said...

Oh Rhoda! Youve done it again!! I know Melissa has to be thrilled. She probably learned alot during the time you spent with her. I loved the before and after pictures. The room looks pulled together and comfortable.

Darlene said...

That is absolutely a wonderful redesign. I always love watching those shows and YOU are the show!!! WOW...what talent...I just LOVE it!!!

Caren said...

Nice redo! You could have suggested simply getting rid of that horrible faux finish and right there made a big difference. Everything you suggested looks great!

Unknown said...

It turned out wonderful! And her peace (and not conflicting with her husband) is the best payment in the world for you! How incredible!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love the redo. Redo's are definitely one of my favorites! I think the biggest impact is the bookshelves, how you put them together and then changed the books and pictures around. It looks so beautiful. Wow. Great job, and you gave us alot of ideas. Thanks,
Blessings,
Debbie

Ribbonwood Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Southerner said...

That room looks so good. When I first looked without reading I thought you faux painted the walls and I had the before and after mixed up and thought you had really messed up this time! I am so glad that you are finding people and growing your dream.

Valarie Lea said...

I love the look in there. Very casual and comfortable with style. I really do like the pops of blue you did also. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the change to the fireplace!!! Looks very nice.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda you did a fabulous job! The foyer looks soooooo much better without that faux finish and the fireplace mantle looks great black. It all looks tons better!

Manuela

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

SO, so, so much better - especially the foyer! Great job, Rho! Enjoyed seeing all the pictures.

Mim said...

Rhoda.
You are certainly inspiring and may I ask.. do you ever sleep?
You seem to have so much energy, and so I come here to be motivated.
Thanks so much and fun to see your ideas and for sharing all the pictures.
Mim

Terri Steffes said...

Rhoda, nothing pleases me more than when someone redoes a room using what the owner already has but using it better. This is a masterpiece that should be on HGTV somewhere!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job Rhoda! I know your client must be thrilled - and I know you gave them 150% of your efforts.. Bravo!

xo,
Kim

Joanna said...

It just looks great! That faux finish was just not pretty! Although it was in style there for a while, we had something similar in our home in AL.

Oh, I started a new blog for my personal stuff, decorating, ideas and such, check it out! http://thissoutherngirlsnest.blogspot.com/

I have been inspired by so many wonderful bloggers! : )

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You have the best job! I just love redecorating, and I am sure your client was so happy with the changes! Impressive work! :)
Carrie

Mrs. B said...

Hi Rhoda! What a change! I bet that was fun to work on. I really like the fireplace makeover!

Anonymous said...

What a transformation! I love what you did. You created such a happy space for them. Great work!

-- Brandi

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, The room redo is fantastic. I didn't even know there was a fireplace glazing kit! My favs are the new fireplace & mantle & the couch from another room.....oh...& the rugs!
Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

rhonda: the changes look great - can you tell me how you paint or glaze the brick on a fireplace
thank you sse6@juno.com

Janet said...

Rhoda,

Where do you get a "fireplace glazing kit"?? I need one desperately. Could you e-mail me with the info please?

I see that you have joined the Seasonal Decorators on BD. I have no idea how it works, but I am certainly game to learn.

Janet @ Housepeepers

Katrina said...

Great job! Amazing. Looks so much better :)

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I always enjoy looking at your makeovers and studying the little details that you throw in.

It is great that you were able to use lots of what they already had.

I think the fireplace difference is really dramatic! And the idea of putting the bookshelves together was a great one.
Great job...and thanks to your client for allowing the photos to be published on your blog!
diane

Our Complete Family said...

Wow! I just know you walked away with some happy clients sitting in their lovely 'new' home enjoying looking at all of the wonderful changes! How neat to see! The fireplace was the biggest 'wowzer' of it all!

Unknown said...

Great job Rhoda. Before and After's are my favorite things to see. Love the changes.

Mikki said...

Wow! Great job. I especially love the foyer makeover. It looks SO much better. I love the new color scheme in the living room too. That rug is awesome. I see on the bookshelves are some speakers (it looks like). I am so happyt to see that, usually on the design shows, they just eliminate those pieces from the rooms, because they're unattractive, but you know they have to end up back in there anyway. I like how you made it work. Almost, not even noticable.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Looks great Rhoda. I am Happy they painted that foyer! What a change for the better. Blessings, Nancy

Free Art Printables said...

I love what you did with this redesign rhoda. Everything looks so warm and inviting... That faux was an oh-no! Thanks for showing us your super-talent as usual!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Lovely work;) French

The Berry's Patch said...

The room was pulled together nicely. It's amazing that little changes can make such a big impact. Great job Rhoda!

Joy said...

Isn't it so much fun to help make someone's house their home! It's a rewarding job.

Suzann said...

You did a great job! Now, if someone would just come here and solve all my dilemmas.
Well, okay, back to reality. Funds will not allow for that luxury. I love the direction you gave them, it is all much nicer now. I imagine that she is beyond grateful and will continue to be for a long time to come.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yep - that is the sweetest email. I am sure when you read things like that you realize that this definitely isn't just a job.

Cathy said...

Great job Rhoda! Good luck with you new business.

Cathy

Inspired Kara said...

Rhoda it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I really love the & sign in between the four prints. I may be putting that to work on my office space!

A Hint of Home said...

I like the changes and looks so much better. It all seems to fit their tastes wonderfully.

The Whitfields said...

I love the layout of your blog & if I ever need an interior decorator I will surely call you since I live in Atlanta!

Sarah

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Holy cow, girl! This is amazing! I'm especially drawn to the fireplace makeover...AMAZING! We just moved into a 13 year old home and have done lots of remodeling. My hubby raised the fireplace box and added a nice sized hearth. It has travertine surrounding the fireplace and on the hearth. I would like to add a mantle, but not quite sure how to go about it. Wish you were here! :-)

~melody~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for the great comments! I'm so happy that you all love it too.

A couple of people asked about the fireplace glazing kit. This is what they used, in Twilight Taupe:

http://www.brick-anew.com/shop/brick-paint/page1.html

I'm sure if you are good with picking colors, you could probably duplicate this for less money, but they ordered the kit & did it DIY & it really turned out great.

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

hi Rhoda

sigh I do love coming by your blog...I just sat down with a cup of coffee and had a lovely browse, I am itching to move my sitting room around, the sofa is so against the wall, looking at the photos of your makeover makes me even more raring to go, isn't it amazing it looks so much more welcoming, I bet the client is soooo happy, I can imagine too that I would have just sat there, taking it all in!

isn't it just so amazing what can be done with stuff we already have??

so pleased that you got results from the article, I am sure the ball will really start to roll now

I would love to do something similar in terms of a business, in fact I am very tentatively in the back of my head planning to maybe start moving this from a hobby to doing it for other people...how did you get started, if you don't think it rude of me to ask?

Sarah

Picket said...

Hey Rhoda! Great makeover girl...and that is wonderful that she found you thru the newspaper article..but my absolute favorite thing was that fireplace makeover!!!!!! I never knew there was such a thing as a glazing kit for a fireplace and that black paint on the mantel..ohhhhhh my word...the transformation is gorgeous!!!!! That young couple should be thrilled with their new look! great job my friend and I hope business continues to boom for you..have a great weekend girl!

dec0r8or said...

Very nice job, Rhoda! And the customer is delighted, which is the whole point, right? I have to say, that faux finish was hurting my eyes...lol. I'm glad you had them paint over it! Great job all around!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I agree with Melissa, you did a wonderful job on the redo of their now lovely home. It looks more spacious, warm and welcoming. I can see why Melissa enjoyed her surroundings so much, that she loved to sit, reflect and drink her coffee.

Have a great weekend.

Jeanne

Justabeachkat said...

Great job Rhoda! I'm sure the home owner was quite happy.

Hugs!
Kat

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Rhoda, this is fabulous! The mantle makeover was pure genius!

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW... lovely redesign! You do nice work!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

What an amazing transformation!! The foyer is so much nicer without that faux finish. And I really loved the fireplace makeover with the black mantel. What a difference that made. Thanks for sharing this redesign with us. -Julia :-)

ellen said...

Wow! Love it. Is the dog picture about the fireplace something that could be framed? I think it would look so much more substantial with a simple but really wide black frame.

Anonymous said...

I love the room you redid..Do you know what color paint was used on the walls and where she found that beautiful rug?
I just discovered your blog but plan on returning. I too, love to decorate and go to yard sales.