Monday, September 22, 2008

Treasure Hunting

Once again, I was out on Saturday looking for treasures. I sometimes try to talk myself out of going, but usually wake up rarin' to go and so out I went again. I'll show you first the things I saw but didn't get. This wicker vanity and chair was $75. Not a bad deal.
And this wicker chair with cushion was $60. A dealer swooped in right after I took these pics and offered to buy them all. I imagine she got a pretty good deal on it. Extra blue/white fabric was on a bolt too.
This pretty old mirror was $10. I passed it up, cause I have mirrors in my closet that I'm not using right now.
I really hit a good sale with about 4 ladies who went in together and they had some really good stuff. I didn't see a price on this little chest, but it was cute.

And at the same sale, here's what I bought:
You know when you have a wish list of things you'd like to find? Well, as usual if I wait long enough a deal will come to me and this weekend I scored on a couple of things on that mental wish list of mine. I almost bought a firescreen at Tuesday AM at their last sale for $50, but decided to wait. Boy, am I glad I did. This heavy iron screen was $5 and I love the simplicity of it. All it needs is a fresh coat of black satin paint and it will look lovely in my livingroom.
And since I happened to have some black satin spray paint around, I got it done in time to show you. It's a great addition to the livingroom.
This really old vintage suitcase was $2. I snatched it up fast for that price. This thing has to be really old.
Check out the inside. It's a very cool piece! I decided to add it to the top of the entertainment center along with the globe I found last year at a yardsale. That vintage travel thing...
This little square planter was $1, a vintage tin look.
And check out the black/white shade that will go in the new guestroom redo. It was brand new with the tags still on and I got it for $3. I wasn't sure it would work with my current lamp in there, but it does! Now I can figure out what to put on the other 2 lamps I found at the yardsale last weekend. I will probably cover my own shades.
Pretty blue pillow was $2 and will also go in that room. Much prettier than this pic shows. It has been so much fun to see what I can find at the yardsales to redo this room on a budget. I'll show you on my next post some of the things I have found for this room so far. The hunt has been fun!
Now, this looks like a jumbled mess of fabric. It's really several large pieces of fabric which someone used for curtain panels (hemmed on one end), I have no idea how much is here, but I'd say about 10-12 yards at least. It needs a good washing, but I got it all for $5. And what will I do with it, you ask? Well, I may end up doing a slipcover for the chair and ottoman in that room so this will be perfect if I do have to do that. For that price, I couldn't pass it up. And if I don't use it, I can resell it later. It's a creamy white with an embossed pattern of squares and has sort of a lineny texture to it. I will be showing you Grandma's aqua chair in my next post and I'm still hoping to use it, but this will be my backup for a slipcover just in case I need it.

Now, wait til you hear the next story! I saved the best for last. On my wish list was an outdoor fountain to put on the brickwall next to our new patio space in the backyard. I know those fountains cost a lot of money, but I figured one of these days, I'd save up and find a deal on one. Well, this weekend was the deal. And the BEST PART?! It was free...yes, you heard me....FREE! You can't get any better than that, people. I went to one last sale on the way back home and these 2 ladies had some really great stuff. I didn't need any of it, but I was looking at this fountain and it said "make an offer". So we chatted about it, I asked how it all went together and I kept looking around. She came over to me and said, listen...if you want it, I'm just going to give it to you. I was going to ask $25 for it, but I am moving and just need to get rid of it, so if you can get it home, it's yours! Didn't have to say that twice! It's VERY heavy, some sort of cast concrete product and the back part where the lions head will mount is copper. It's got some age on it, but is just gorgeous.

I went home and got my big, strong hubby...he was gracious enough to drop what he was doing and come with me to get it. I have SUCH a good hubby. So, now it sits near the patio and I will work on getting this fixed up for next spring. I have plans to landscape this area next year. Can you say WOO-HOOOO with me?! I am SO excited! I got him home in plenty of time for the Alabama/Ark. game. Roll Tide, we won!

Needless to say...it was a very good thrifting weekend!

If you get Better Homes and Gardens, do not miss the article on one of our very own, blogger/designer, Joni of Cote de Texas. There's a really nice feature on her house in the new October issue. Take a look at French Texas. Congrats Joni!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

74 friends stopped by:

Bo said...

Ms. Rhoda...I declare your Garage Sale Fairy Godmother does smile on you! That fireplace screen is awesome...but that fountain is the deal of the century...when I've seen those in mags or home centers, I always have wanted one! I do subscribe to "Better Homes & Gardens" so I'll get to see Cote De Texas home. ;-) Bo

paintergal said...

Congrats on the wall fountain! What a great find. You do discover the greatest stuff.

Tonja said...

What a great find on the fountain! It looks like a very good one too. And, to me, the grubbier they look, the better!

Inspired Kara said...

I will say WOOO HOOO indeed!

I have the perfect place for that vanity!

Becky said...

OK, I'm going to forgive the tide for rolling all over my hogs this weekend! HA!! Glad I got that off my chest!

WOW WOW WOW, is all I can say about your finds. I wish I had that chest. My daughter is needing one and I can just see it in black.

I think the fountain is my favorite this week. Can't wait to see it in your garden next spring.

Jill said...

I enjoyed seeing all your garage sale goodies! What a wonderful fountain...and for free...wow!

I have been visiting your blog for about a month now, I enjoy your decorating style.

~Jill

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Love it all, Rho. Nice score on the fountain - can't wait to see what you do with it. Can't beat free!

Valarie Lea said...

You did so good! I am going to have to start doing some strategic yardsaleing. I still have not hit that many good ones.

Toni said...

Rhoda, what cool things you found this weekend! I have to agree with brown-eyes - your Garage Sale Fairy Godmother really does smile on you! I can't wait to see the black and white room makeover!

Kristi said...

Oooo I always LOVE your yardsale adventures, never stop posting about them! Congrats on the fountain. I love fountains, they are so relaxing. Also congrats on the firescreen. I'm so excited for you!

I found a bunch of really nice clothes and shoes for my daughter this weekend at sales as well as a couple of educational toys and a 25 cent Clifford stuffed animal which my son has allowed to sleep with him. He never has let any other animal sleep with him outside of his trusted bear!

the undomesticated wife said...

Wow, you really did get some good deals...especially the fountain!

ROXY said...

My Gosh, what luck scoring that fountain! I simply love it:) Congrats on a great find!

Courtney said...

I am so envious! yard sale season was over here as of Labor Day weekend. We already have chilly fall weather and there are very few deals to be found. I LOVE the fountain...and the fact you got it for free. Didn't that just make your whole day? And I also adore the black/white lampshade. Fab!

Twice as Nice said...

Twin and I just started to go to yard sales. I hate to say it but I always thought they were beneath me. But that is because we don't have the good ones you seem to have in the south. But we have gone to a few this summer and had some luck. Our mother loved them and like you she would have in mind something she wanted and even if it was something unusual she would find it!! If we lived by you, twin and I would be joining you every weekend!

Sallie said...

Love the steal you got with the fountain!! I finally won something free on freecycle this weekend.. a box of antique door handles.. can't wait to figure out something creative to do with those :-)

God bless,
Sallie
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/anderklan/seasidetales

Darlene said...

OMG...you find the neatest things!! WOW that fountain for free!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

Wendy said...

My goodness...I wish I had your thrifting prowess...you always find such wonderful stuff!!! Oh, and I saw the article in BHG...really great!

Joanna said...

Free!?! That is fabulous! Your finds are always great.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Rhoda,

FREE ~ I love that word lol and I love that fountain !!

Thanks for the heads up on the article in BHG, I love her blog.

Looking forward to seeing Grandma's chair !!!

Have a great week,
Kathy :)

Natalia said...

O.M.G....FREE!? I'm completely green with envy sitting here. Head to toe, green. I had just posted about wanting to put in a fountain, lol! How much sound do you think they block? :) Wow. Fantastic finds all across the board, you have a great eye.

The Hinesley House said...

You always find some of the greatest things on your yard sale adventures. Great job!

Adrienne said...

Wow! You did great! Can't wait to see the room you are putting together. And that fountain? It's going to be fantastic. Patience pays off, doesn't it. I have a wish list and slowly, ever so slowly I'm crossing things off. It's fun. ~Adrienne~

Sandi McBride said...

You have to be the luckiest yard/garage sell person I've ever seen. Good grief, and I was so thrilled with my dozen little bird Christmas tree ornaments for five dollars and just look at what you have! I haven't been able to leave a comment lately because my computer couldn't seem to navigate the leopard pattern...then all of a sudden, she pulled it right out...thank heaven!
hugs
Sandi

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

You did indeed get some great stuff this past weekend! I didn't get a chance to go to any garage sales this weekend due to having to finish up on daughter's birthday bedroom surprise. To see pics go to my blog & there is a link to see the pics on RMS.

Anonymous said...

Great finds you have there Rhoda! Thanks for the heads up about Joni's article. I'll be sure to pick the magazine up. I almost did just that the other day!

I love the fountain!

Anonymous said...

Love the wicker! What a great deal on the gorgeous fountain. I don't think I'll ever find such great stuff!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, another fun day out thrifting! Great deals, but that fountain just takes the cake. Can't believe you got it for free. I'm so happy for you. I also love the pattern on the white fabric. That will look good on your slipcovers.

The cushions on the wicker chair was a pattern I used to have as a dust ruffle, Waverly's Savoy. I used it with a chintz from Mario Buatta called Nancy, and everytime I see it, I still smile. Thanks for sharing your finds.

And thank you for telling us about Joni's house. I'll be sure to pick up a copy of BH&G at the store. :-)

Sheila... who is wondering if you got my email???

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Really nice finds! Love the large pears on your mantel! :) ~Rhonda

Southerner said...

No way! I want an outdoor fountain so badly! I cannot believe you got one for free + backache. I have a friend that you can see it in her eyes when I mention that I got something at a garage sale that she thinks it is beneath her. No matter how many items I show her she still goes and pays sale prices at stores. People just do not see what they are missing buying junk from other people. Glad to have friends who do see the fun of the hunt!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I bow at your feet, oh Yard-Sale Queen! LOL! You find the best deals and the best stuff anywhere!

Congrats on your wonderful finds!

Unknown said...

FREE? Ohmygoodness! What a deal! I can't wait to see it up on your porch!

dewy23 said...

Thanks for the good idea on the fireplace screen! I have a beat-up old brass (fake) one....I'm going to pull it out and spray it black. Did you use a high heat paint? I haven't used the fire place in ages because we're afraid one of the dogs may get too close!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda, you got some steals of some deals! COngrats!

Beth at Aunties said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth at Aunties said...

What fun finds! I swear I need to move to the south. I never find garage sales with much other than kids out grown clothes.
I LOVED the way the firescreen turned out. And for 5.00! Awesome. (My sons then ages 10 and 7 once went to a garage sale down the street in the AM and wanted a pool table. They didn't have the 150.00 but kept going back all day long... ended up with it for 4 .00 later that evening:) Patience and time does pay off!
Because of you and others I being sold on spray paint and started my first project. You are so inspiring!
Beth

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am always just STUNNED at what you find. Broken toys and smelly clothes are all that seem to be around here. The fire screen looks wonderful and I anxiously await seeing the fountain in place. Wow!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yes, my favorite kind of posts. I have been so busy with the couponing/grocery things that all my yard sale finds have been going without any recognition at all....they're sad. :)

Missy Wertz said...

Oh WOW Rhoda!!! What great finds you got this weekend! Where did you go? You did good girlfriend. Real Good!

What fun and exciting! And that fountain! What a score! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very good thrifting indeed! The wall fountain is awesome! You always find the best things!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Wow Rhoda...you got some deals. I love your fountain!

It never ceases to amaze me what people will get rid of at a yard sale. But I can understand why someone wouldn't want to move that! You do have a sweet hubby!

I haven't been in two weeks...need to make time for it this Saturday!
Diane

Essential Oil Premier University said...

YOU DID GREAT!!!!! I have a decorative fireplace screen that I place in front of our fireplace in the off-season too. Such a nice touch. Love your fountain, can't beat that deal. I posted about our fountain in our courtyard area a little while a go. You will love the sound of this fountain. Our oldest daughter's bedroom is right above this courtyard and she adores evenings when the windows are open and she can hear the water trickling!!

Blessings,

Sher

Tami said...

Love the fountain! What a great find, just beautiful!

windycorner said...

Wow! You always come across the best stuff. I can't wait to see that FREE fountain up and running. It's going to transform your garden.
Holley

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

YAY free!!! :)

Such great finds, as always.

I also love to see how many people are online each time I come here. :) I get excited on my own blog when there are 8 or 10 and ANYTIME I stop in here, there are 15-20 at least. haha!

We all love you Miss Rhoda!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

DOUBLE WOO HOOO FROM ME! Oh MY! I mean, free. FREE! I would have strapped to my back like a sherpa to get it out of there (though getting your hubby was probably a wiser move. ;-)

And...I spy a globe like one I just yard saled this weekend. I'm working on my post now so will mention yours. :-)

Chelsey said...

WOW! That is awesome that you got the fountain for FREE! What luck you have! I also adore the screen that you got for your fireplace. I havent been able to find those for less than $50-$60. What a great deal. I always look forward to seeing your yardsale finds.

Michelle said...

Congratulations on the fountain. I'll be watching for your spring landscaping redo. :)

Isn't it a satisfying feeling crossing off something on the mental list when you find something at a yard sale?

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

You ARE an expert yard sale woman!! Excellent finds. I can't wait to see how beautiful your fountain will look in your new garden :)

Oh and I loved loved loved that tour of those two old homes. The doors on that first one were gorgeous!

hugs,
rue

The Beauty Bargainista said...

what amazing finds! wanna come to austin and take me shopping? :)

Rosemary said...

Wow Rhoda,
You did great at these sales. A free fountain, you can't beat that price. It's a really great one too.
Have fun with it.
Love your fireplace screen. It looks great with a new coat of black paint.
Have a great week,
Rosemary

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, Great Finds! I am sure you will do wonderful things with them! Nancy

Ms. Tee said...

Oh my goodness, you find the absolute best stuff ever!
I love it all - wish I could've gotten that little brown dresser. I've been looking for one for a while now.
And congratulations on the fountain! So neat that you got it for free. Thanks for sharing it all - it's funny how happy I can get just looking at yard sale finds. :)

Sue said...

GREAT finds! Love the fountain and the price even better! I know what you mean about not intending to go....I did the exact same thing, but instead of garage sales I'm going to Thrift Stores. Never know what I'll find.

Anonymous said...

lol, Rhoda you sound like me with my beachy bedroom project I am shopping for now. IF mine will come together just half the way you decorate I will be tickled pink!!! Or should I say, blue? ;)
Man I could just feel the fun you had in your post!!! I am SO EXCITED for you on all your finds! And man WHAT a bargain you got on that fountain! ;) Just wait until she sees it in some magazine in the future! lol She'll be thrilled she gave it to you!!!
Congrats again!!!! wooooooooooooo whoooooooo! Way to go Rhoda! I just LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Another bountiful yield, Rhoda. And, what fantastic looks you have created.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a day you had shopping! The suitcase is probably the neatest thing ever! Vintage luggage is something that captures my attention...Don't you just want to know the travels it has made?!
Have a great week,
Jen

A Hint of Home said...

You sure did find some great buys. You really have an eye for how it will look after you redo something.
Chelsea's redo looks great too.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Yippee for you Rhoda! What a great weekend of bargain hunting! I agree, the hunt is so much fun! I might have to make a trip out this weekend to see what I can discover too!
Carrie

Amanda said...

Wooo Hooo to you and the fountain. What a deal! I cant wait to see it all fixed up. You are the Yard Sale Diva!!!!

Kelly said...

Love the fountain! I can't believe you got it for free. I am a huge fan of those free finds, and have no qualms about picking up trash by the side of the road. How fun it is to take something, put a little work into it, and see how nice it looks. Hooray for you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR NEW FOUNTAIN!!!
Oh that is just beautiful - I am thrilled for you! You got amazing things this time Rhoda! Your firescreen is perfect too!

xo,
Kim

nikkicrumpet said...

Sheeesh...take me with you next time...you find the BEST bargains. That fountain is going to be AWESOME!!! And I would have snatched up that $10 mirror in a heart beat.

Bonita said...

I love how you are so patient to wait for the things on your wish list and they always turn up at the right time and price. I've learned that lesson from you- to a degree- and found that it's so true. Can't wait to see that black and white room!

Unknown said...

That Fountain is quite a prize! Love the fabric too...
You are an inspiration to even the best hunter.
~Liz~

Anonymous said...

oh Rhoda, I soooo would have like to be with you on the expedition (I think I said that last week too haha!).

It's actually interesting that if you wait long enough you get to find what you want and wow what an absolutely fabulous find for free. I can only imagine the racing heart and happy dancing butterflies in your stomach if you get the same thrifting high as I get...which by your blog ya know I reckon you do lol!

some great finds for the room redo as well, I'll be interested to see how much you spent on that in total, that will make for a great read

the fabric was a super deal, I've had a good find like that too recently on curtains..it's only recently that I discovered looking at curtains while I thrift, I kinda passed them over before never thinking I would find anything that nice, now I always look, I saw a pic in a magazine of some silk drapes tied in a certain way, I am just *waiting* to find something that fits the bill and I'll be laughing

happy thrifting

Sarah

KM Studios said...

WHOOO
HOOOOOO!!!
That fireplace screen looks like a million buck!

Great Find!!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

AWEsome stuff, but FREE...you're killing me...I haven't been YSing in weeks.

niartist said...

WOW! What a deal you got on that fountain! Kudos!

Unknown said...

What a great day you had, bargains, a fabulous hubby, and a winning game! Can't get much better than that!

Kelly said...

What grand treasures you have found!! Very inspiring to all of us "junque" DIVAS!

In the Spirit of Autumn Bliss I would like to invite you to my Autumn Giveaway!!

Beautiful Blessings~Kelly Maria

Kristi said...

That fountain is so cool! I bet your husband just rolled his eyes... mine would have... :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you are a girl after my own heart. I love thrift and yard sale shopping. I have to say you are an expert at seeing 'what could be.' Love that fire screen and all of your treasures. I can't wait to see your finished room.

Hugs, Jeanne

Lettered Cottage said...

Great yard sale pics Rhoda.
That fountain story was amazing!
I got a message on my blog from an editor from Better Homes and Gardens, who had found me through Joni's blog. She said they had just been to Joni's place and were going to run a story on her soon. Thanks for the heads up about it....I've got to go get that issue!
I'll let you know when they submit my story, hopefully my little place can grace the pages sometime too! What a dream come true that would be! :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

sheila from life @ #17 said...

well, you've finally done...after the whole fantastic-free-fountain thing, I've got to move to Alabama...

nope, sorry...got to go tell the DH....