Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Black & White Plan & the Aqua Chair

Black and White....LOVE it!

You'll see that I've been busy with the yardsale lamps I found recently. After seeing some rub-on transfers that Manula, at Pleasures of Homemaking, found at Hobby Lobby for her white pumpkins, I got a couple of packages and went to work on beautifying these lamps and they worked like a charm. I'm still deciding on lampshades, but I'm leaning towards covering some drum shades with a black/white fabric...still to be determined and I'm looking for some inexpensive lampshades.

So, that guestroom redo is definitely in the planning stages now. I have been collecting a few things that I think are gonna look fab in there with the black/white damask. You saw the cute little pillow I found at the yardsale for $2 (down too, by the way!). Picked up 2 zebra plates at TJ Maxx for $4 a piece. And a blue pillow sham from Tuesday AM. I think it will go in front of the black/white shams and the accent pillow in front of that. I don't think I'm gonna go overboard on pillows in here. Wall color will be similar to the pillow sham color or in between that and the blue bowl...still to be determined. I was browsing in an antique shop and found the pretty vintage painting for $9. Loved the colors in there & will have to find the right spot for it in the room, it's not very big. And the aqua planter with lime green inside was a Homegoods clearance find for $5 & perfect for my color scheme of mostly aqua accents, with a smidge of lime green. This room is gonna be SO much fun to put together! Just thought you'd enjoy a sneak peek. I'm going to work on it slowly though & not get too much in a hurry. I like to let things come to me. I also snagged some original oil paintings that Grandma Eleanor did of beach scenes, so I think I'll use those in this room.

I still don't have the aqua chair here at my house...gonna have to work on that one with Grandma Eleanor. But I did go up into their attic and take a sneaky pic for you to see. Isn't it the cutest? You see, she still thinks that this chair is going over to the little cottage once the work is done and that she is going to stay there for awhile. That is not the case (she'll get to visit, but no way is she going to move in there), so I'm going to have to tiptoe around this one and not rile Grandma up over it. She was recently talking about how she is going to plant some roses over there. Oh my, the delusions of grandeur! She's almost 90 years old and has no business trying to plant flowers over there, especially for someone else to enjoy.

I do think that eventually she'll let me use it in my room, I just have to let this play out with the cottage and not try to rush it so my redo may take longer than I expected. I took a bunch of pics at their house, as well as more in their current attic and I'll share those with you next. Talk about the stuff, they have got it! While in TJ Maxx, I couldn't resist this big fat monogrammed mug for $4. Always need another to sip something hot from in the coming Winter. That's me and my niece, Lauren, in the pic on my office shelves in case you are wondering.

Just a sneaky peek from me!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

49 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

You are going to have the best time redoing this room, and you are well on your way! I enjoyed seeing all of your finds and can't wait to see the end result. I might have to go check out Hobby Lobby for some decals. I've got a little fall project up my sleeve, too.

You've proven once again how much fun it is to go thrifting! I believe I hear some stores calling my name. Hey, anything to get out of the cleaning project that's lurking. ;-)

Great finds. Continue to have fun with the project!

XO,

Sheila (who can't wait to see Grandma's attic)

Bo said...

I do believe you have a radar for bargains...and GOOD ones at that...
your room is evolving beautifully, but of course it would, 'cuz you're Ms. Rhoda...decorator-extraordinaire! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun project for you. I love blue and black colors together. There is so much you can do with it. The rub-ons for the lamps are a great idea. I adore the chair that you have you eye on. It looks so cozy to curl up in. I hope that now the kids are completely enveloped in school and the canning is nearly finished that I can finish some of the projects around our house from where we moved over the summer!
Have a wonderful day,
Jen

Missy Wertz said...

The room is going to look so good! I agree, you do not need to get grandma all riled up right now. In time, you will get that chair and it will be perfect.

Caren said...

I don't know how I missed a bunch of your posts this week. I didn't comment because I just read them today but trust me, I loved them all.

The Chelsea redo looks fantastic! I love the modern print with all the colors in it, it's amazing how a couple hundred dollars can add SO much to a home. Nice work as usual. I'd love that as a job, I know I'd be good at it. Did you go to school for that or are you just creative and good at marketing yourself?

Your black and white room is going to be gorgeous. I can't wait!

Becky said...

Can't wait to see the finished projects! Come over and enter my giveaway!

Wendy said...

I love the lamp! And the mug!! Just love me a monogram!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

As usual I just love your projects! Great lamp with the rub-ons...I am quickly becoming obsessed with them every time I see another adorable project like that! And that chair...it SO belongs in your house. You will get it done, I am sure! :)
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I had your patience. My problem is that I usually decide I want to do something and rush, rush, rush. My living room re-do is taking some time and I've just had to accept it.

Your bedroom will be perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

The lamp redo is great. I'm going to have to look around for some of those rub ons.

The guest room redo looks wonderful. I'm looking forward to more peeks!

CMB said...

I re-did my daughters room in black and aqua a few months ago...we love it and you will too!

Natalia said...

Oooo, love that chair. And the whole color scheme. I bought 4 plates at Goodwill in that color range and I'm itching to use them because the color is just that pretty.

BTW, I just happened to be searching for pics of GG's gorgeous laundry room yesterday on GW...having no idea this was you...or you were she...the pic widget just made me put two and two together. Doesn't it just figure! One of my favorites in forum land turns out to be one of my favorites in blog land. Even the big ol' world wide web is a small world after all...

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

It going to look fabulous!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Loving all of those fabulous black & white prints. Now I'm starting to think my "neutral" room (all taupes...also called "The Napoleon Room" due to a large portrait of the little man ;-). The room’s almost “blog post worthy”) may get the black and white bedding treatment. Hmmmm...you’ve got me thinking, once again!

You gotta appreciate Grandma Eleanor’s tenacity! ;-)

Angie said...

I cannot wait to see all those awesome pieces come together! You are smart to actually plan it out. I usually jump the gun and start something before I've really thought it out. It is going to be beautiful!!!

Darlene said...

That room is going to be FABULOUS!!! I already LOVE all of the things you have for it. I think I am going to have to try those rub-ons. I keep seeing them all over blog-land and I LOVE them!!

Grandma sounds like she is something else and at her age....rip roaring and raring to go!!!

paintergal said...

Rhoda, this room is coming together! Love all the pieces you're collecting from here and there.
I have a technical question for you. I've tried to add links in my posts but somehow they are getting blocked. Any idea how to change settings on my computer so the URL's will be active?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, those decals are pretty cool! I think I'll try some on plates next. The lamp looks great!

That's going to be one gorgeous room when you're done!

Grandma Eleanor's chair is wonderful. Does she not know that the house is to be sold? I hope I'm still able to plant roses at 90!

Manuela

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

The lamps look great! I think a drum shade would be so pretty with them.

Love that chair! It is just lovely!

Joanna said...

Oh I can't wait to see pictures! The room is going to look great!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

How fun! That room is going to be a wonderful guest room! Only your guests will never want to leave! LOL!

paintergal said...

Thanks, Rhoda. Yes, I was using the insert link button at the top of the posting box. But the links aren't working.
I have a question in to the Blogger helpline. We'll see if I get an answer.

Lisa (aka) French said...

This is going to look marvelous! French;)

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love this. It looks good so far, and I will enjoy watching your projects as they unfold!!! Those decals are great, what agood idea...must of been thought of by a woman!!
Blessings,
Debbie

Cindy said...

It's great to see a work in progress...I really can't wait to see how the room comes together. I can tell it's going to be beautiful already! I love that chair. I think I would be sneaking it out of the house while grandma was sleeping...shhhh you didn't hear me just say that!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result. Love your color scheme!

Mrs. B said...

The lamps look so cute! I really want to find some of those rub on transfers. I love black and white. That chair is adorable. But don't upset Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I started to buy 3 of the exact same mug at TJ Maxx the other day. They had the initials I needed for my hubby, daughter and me. If they are still there when I go back, they are SO mine.

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Rhoda :)
What great stuff you found - I can't wait to see it all come together. I really like the rub on transfers - what a great idea!

Saucy said...

I love monograms. Ode to the power of black and white - all of it. Love it.

KM Studios said...

what a tease..now I can't wait to see this room!!
PLease tell me you are going to paint the frame on that painting in black..please! That is a very modern pallete you have there (quite beautiful) and I dont think the gold would do it justice. Just my thoughts!
Great finds though..Ill be back soon to see if the room is done.

Deserae said...

I love the black and white transfer on the lamp!!! The fabrics you have picked out for the guest room makeover are fabulous! I just can't believe most of it came from garage sales!!!! We never have sales like that around here. The aqua chair is going to look amazing in there when it finally makes the trip home :o) I can't wait to see the room come together....It will be nothing short of amazing I'm sure!!!
~Des

Free Art Printables said...

great black and white. I have that damask stamp and I use it all f the time!

Unknown said...

I'm loving the b&W these days, too! You always have such interesting pieces!

Kudzu said...

It looks like you've had great luck in your treasure hunting, and I hope to have the same luck, and can't wait to see how it turns out.
I'd like to tell you that I tagged you, and I chose you because of the inspiration I've gotten from you.
Thanks Rhoda,for being around!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You have been busy. I love that you wait to put a room together until you have found many of your treasures. It's such a great example that we don't have to always "impulse buy" to be a happy shopper. Sometime the thrill of the hunt, and then the "score" is the best thing of all. :)

Sandi McBride said...

My Goodness Rhoda...I'm wanting you to start telling me how you are going to control a 90 year old Grandma and if you're successful, I'll try it out on my 94 (yesterday) year old father who thinks he may like to go sky diving...because Prez George (Senior) did. Yeah. Right.
hugs
Sandi

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I cant wait to see it all together! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your guest room make-over. Love the direction you're going!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the final product! It's gonna look great. I think the aqua color is a perfect color for you!

Lettered Cottage said...

Okay, you KNOW I have to have a little aqua and green bowl like that. Hopefully there will be another at Homegoods when we go!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, You got a great collection going on there. Collecting all those things is fun isn't it?

I love hearing the story of Grandma Eleanor....got to give her kudos for tenacity...still going strong at 90.

Love that mug and want one real bad, but found none at my TJ Maxx....I checked!

I'm looking for some matelasse slipcovers for wing chairs...if you know of a source let me know.
Take care, DebraK

Anonymous said...

I love gathering the supplies, so much fun and even better when you do it thrifting because you get the thrill of the hunt...yesterday I went to the beachy shop I like and thought to myself imagine just being able to buy everything here that I like, like a magazine stylist would, that would be very nice and oh so easy....BUT you don't quite get the happy dance or the thrifting buzz

great post Rhoda, as ever lol!

Sarah

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Can't wait to see the ROOM REDO!
Love the rub-ons - very clever idea.
Hope you have had a great week and enjoy your weekend.
Blessings,
Sandy

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda! I love black & white, considering re-doing my kitchen (when we remodel) w/these colors and a touch of green!
Hope you are doing well!
Sandy

nikkicrumpet said...

I gotta add some of those rub ons to my "get list" The lamps are gonna be KILLER!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, So looking forward to seeing the completed room. Good deals are such a blessing. Karen

Kat said...

Rhoda...such a tease! You leave me hungry for more. The lamp is beautiful and I love all your bargains.

Ginny’s Lazy B Ranch said...

I just love seeing all of your finds!! I love to find bargains. It's like a treasure hunt. I'm getting rid of some of my junk and making daughters room into a craft room. I'm going to have to keep checking your blog for wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing.