Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grandma's House

Recently, I told you all about Grandma Eleanor, my hubby's almost 90-year old grandmother. She is a character. And I mentioned that she has a little house that is going to be put up for sale soon. After it gets cleaned out. That might take awhile. His sister has moved out of there to another place and so we've been over there a few times to check it out. It's just a small cottage, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, full basement. The sister is still cleaning out this week in fact. And now it falls to my hubby to get the place fixed up and ready to sell for grandma Eleanor. This is the house that Eleanor was going to paint herself. With the Tangerine Dream paint she bought at Lowes, that got remixed. So, fixing it up very soon will be the first order of business. Clean out the rest of the junk that's left, get someone in to clean the place floor to ceiling AND hire painters to come in and paint, inside and out. Quite a job!
The backyard is really cute, needs some work, but could be a nice place.
We'll go inside for a minute. This is the livingroom. Lots of junk still left in here. We're hoping most of this is gone by the end of this week. Tiny kitchen
Fireplace in the livingroom. The walls in here are plaster. That's not going to be fun to fix. Thank goodness, we are not going to tackle it ourselves. Grandma will hire it out with my hubby being the supervisor.

Backporch. See that bakers rack. It's now at my house. I scored a few things that got left behind, so now I'll put them to good use.
Like this bird bath, I really wanted a birdbath, now I have one.
And I scored another teacart. Bigger than my other teacart, this will be good for outdoor parties. It's already home in my backyard.
This is a piece of marble that fits nicely on my little plant stand for a side table, it's very thick & heavy.
And the baker's rack....can't decide if I should just keep the rack and teacart black and rusty OR paint them a yummy aqua color? I'll be using these for serving when we have outdoor gatherings. I'm thinking AQUA for a pop of color out here and there's aqua in my fabric. What do you think?

My hubby rolled his eyes when I asked him to go over there with me and drag this stuff home. I couldn't let it go to waste. He said, why do you want that rusty old thing? He should know me better than that. The basement was packed full of stuff, not sure what is left. He has forbidden me to bring home anything from the basement for fear of mold.

Darn it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

63 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Rhoda you are too funny, and what's up with Peter he should know better lol !!!

I think those pieces will be great for your out door space.

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

nikkicrumpet said...

I can't believe your hubby still doubts you. Doesn't he realize you are FREAKING MAGIC...and you've saved him a ton of cash over the years! I can't wait to see the end result. And I'm thinking aqua would be so much fun!

paintergal said...

What an adorable house. I'm sure it's full of memories.
It has some great features and I bet it will be snapped up quickly.
I love the awning over the front door. Cute idea.

Katie said...

That is such a darling, sweet cottage! OH...I love that kitchen! I know I am probably the only person in the world who would say this...but I LOVE tiny little kitchens like this. And I love to cook and bake, so it's not like I don't ever use a kitchen...haha! This little gem of a place could look so special. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Grandma's house is so cute! Great that you're able to rescue stuff from her house! Aqua would be nice on the baker's rack.

Manuela

Twice as Nice said...

This house gives you the perfect opportunity to try your hand at staging. I think you will do a wonderful job and it will sell quickly! Make sure you take plenty of pictures to show us.

Georgia Girl said...

Oh I love all those things you are bringing home...I would love an ole small cute house like that and the back garden would be so pretty with flowers galore...

Mim said...

Rhoda,
Too funny, sounds like my husband, when I want to stop along the road to rescue a chair or table, left out for the junk.
I love doing that.
Your finds from gmas's house look great.
I tend to go for the rusty, chippy look.
Be sure and show us the 'after' pics of grandma's house.
Mim

Anonymous said...

That little cottage will be a doll house by the time you guys get it cleaned and painted and "on the market"! Oh, that little yard looks so sweet, too.
You did "good" with the bird bath and baker's rack and my,oh,my---that tea cart! I have been looking for one of those for a long time!! What a fun post today! Dana

Bo said...

Grandma's cottage is so cute, all that's missing is Little Red Riding Hood & the Big, Bad Wolf...
I'd like to browse the basement myself..Have fun, ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

I love the house. It has GREAT bones, and it looks like it's not going to be a hard fix at all. The kitchen is cute and cottagey with its wood cabinets, the yard is wonderful, the fireplace is beautiful, and the floors look like hardwood. This is a dollhouse!

It's the kind of house that would be adorable with climbing roses, window boxes, etc. Can't you just see it? That might have to wait for the next owner, but I see real possibilities. :-)

In terms of your iron work, I love black iron, but if you want to go aqua, they have some aqua spray paint at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. I bought some to paint an antique chair that I had in the yard and used as a plant stand. Either way, I know it will look good. Love that baker's rack (and the other goodies). What a score!

Hugs,

Sheila... who is on a loaner computer and didn't want to sign into my account!

Trixi said...

I have to say, I love the new aqua spray paint.
That little cottage is so cute. It wouldn't happen to be in Homewood would it. My aunt lives in Homewood and several of my cousins. It looks a lot like my aunts tiny kitchen.
It looks like you have quite a bit of work ahead of you.
The tea cart is perfect!
Thanks for sharing.

Lettered Cottage said...

Hey Rhoda!

I want that little cottage!

I'm having a GIVEAWAY over at my blog and would LOVE to have you participate...anxious to hear YOUR description. :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

How cute! Should be fun to see the transformation!

JoAnne said...

This is such an adorable house. And, I say paint them aqua. You can always change it later if you don't like it. Can't wait to see what you do.

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Great pieces! I love that little corner cupboard in the livingroom pic! Wish I could snag that! LOL!
With some work that little house will be adorable! The yard has good bones too.

Unknown said...

Great pieces for your outdoor space. I bet grandma would be proud to see them being used at your house!

Joanna said...

That little house reminds me of the one that my mom used to go and clean. There was a little old lady that lived in it, Ila Mae was her name, it was in Mt. Brooke. So quaint!

Sue said...

Love your grandmother gifts---Hey I like her spirit--hope I want to paint a house at the age of 90.

THanks for the mantle post---very helpful like all of your posting (helpful answers)

Where is the cute house located?

Sue

windycorner said...

As the realtors say, "It's a dollhouse". So cute. I'm sure you can see all the potential there. And that garden is lovely, so peaceful looking. I vote aqua for your treasures you brought home. It would really pop against your other colors.
Holley

St. Casserole said...

Great blog!

Thanks for all the work you do for your readers!

Inspired Kara said...

Go AQUA girl!!!

I love Grandma's little back yard pathway, and that fireplace! Wish I could move in!!

Tara said...

Rhoda

I think the aqua would be great! Go for it!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I vote for painting it aqua!! Let us see if you decide to paint those pieces!

Cindi said...

Hi Rhoda,
I vote for aqua! So fun and fresh!

That house is adorable...and that kitchen is so darling. I love old kitchens like that. They have so much character.

Salmagundi said...

What a cute house; and with your great touch, I'm sure it will sell super fast. Sally

sheila from life @ #17 said...

you know, I'm just going to say a little prayer for that little house that somebody with exquisite taste and a happy personality will buy it...and then will you please knock on the door and ask to take photos for us all?

hah :)

(although it isn't bad, really...)

Kat said...

That cottage is cute and the yard....Id love to get my hands dirty there.
I love the chippy rusty iron look but I also know you have a knack for taking the ordinary and making it extrodinary. So go for the AQUA. I cant wait to see this redo.
LOL on the hubby comment. Mine does that eye roll everytime I say...Ive been thinking...
He says when I get to thinking it means work!

Glenda said...

Well I don't envy you at all. I did this with my parents home.

First thing I noticed was the floral rug in the living room. It looks like it needs a good cleaning, but looks pretty.

And that rack, you can't find those around much. Scrub it and paint it. Aqua, or what ever soot your fancy.

Ciao

Katy said...

I think that house is adorable! With a lil TLC and paint....it will be perfect!!! :) I bet someone will snatch it right up! :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Isn't it SO MUCH FUN to be able to find great throwaway stuff?! I have been able to do that a few times. I say-paint the tea cart and bakers rack a glossy black and accent it with the aqua flowerpots and cute serving pieces and tablecloth.
Have fun! Sharon

Valarie Lea said...

Those are going to look great, and they came from Grandmas house. :)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I think this little cottage has great potential. And good for you for rescuing some truly wonderful pieces. I think I'd be inclined to paint at least one of them aqua. If you don't like it you can always return it to black, but just imagine if you DO like it! Aqua sounds quite bold and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What a cute house. Im sure when yall are done with it it will be someones dream cottage~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks for all the fun comments on grandma's cottage. I'll be sure & keep y'all up to date on what is going on with it. First things first, get it cleaned OUT and UP. Then painted and ready for sale. It's been in dire neglect for a few years.

A few asked where this cottage is located. It is in the Crestwood area of Birmingham, not in the greatest part of town. But, because it is closer into downtown B'ham, the prices in this little neighborhood for similar sized homes are about $150K. Now that amazes me!

Unknown said...

I vote for aqua. Qhat a great color and one I would never have thought of. I put our old baker's rack on our deck also and put some cute hand painted birdhouses on it. Great ideas Rhoda.

Ms. Tee said...

What a cute little house! And I totally vote for aqua for the baker's rack! :)

Sue said...

I think aqua too. Your hubby's comments sound just like something mine would say. Email me and I'll come help you get some of the stuff home if you need me.

Chelsey said...

I love the back yard, it has potential for sure! The tea cart is a must have - good thing you snagged it! I just found your blog this week and I am hooked!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

What a darling little house. Too bad most people don't live like that today. It will look fabulous all cleaned up and newly painted.
Donna

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

We can't wait to see what you do with all the fun finds you've brought home. Make sure you remind us when you finally post the updated versions.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your husband reacts like mine would have....with the rolled eyes....but when he sees what you do with it...he'll come around.

My first reaction was to paint the bakers rack aqua..but whatever you do it will look great when you finish accessorizing it!

Love the bird bath. I have one that came from an estate sale, and I love mine. They look better with some age.

It is hard to believe that that house will bring that much. We had a real estate agent from here tell us that property was really high there...her daughter had a hard time finding something affordable!

Have a great weekend.
Diane

Saucy said...

That is a delightful baker's rack, I painted almost an exact one like that aqua and green... and then I took a blowtorch to it and set it on fire just a little bit (sounds scary!) but it worked like a charm. Then I touched the edges/corners with slight silvery paint and on that top curly bit, I fastened a nice fridge magnet in the middle there with epoxy so it will never budge! It looks dreeeeamy.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Aqua!!

We just scored some treats from a family house that's going up for sale, too. One of these days I'll get around to posting pictures of my finds!

Picket said...

Morning girl...love all the pieces you have and I know they will be beautiful when you get thru working your magic on them! lol Has your ears been burning? I have been talking about you girl! lol I want you to know you have inspired me yet again with that mantel post you did...I just finished my new project and I thank you ever so much for the inspiration...just doing it actually helped my spirit this week...thanks girl...come take a peek when you get the chance!

mrsben said...

(Was over at Picket's and thought to take a gander at the F/P Mantles.) What a delightful suprise as your Blog is so informative.
The cottage is adorable and the b/yard space has such great potential. Will be checking back in to see what magic you have created in sprucing it up, and oh yes; "what is one man's junk is another man's treasure". I'm sure the Baker's Rack and Tea Cart have found a good home :)
Wishing you a beautiful weekend!

Michele said...

Hi Rhoda...I love that bakers rack and tea cart...you scored big time! I love aqua and I say go for it!

Hugz,
Michele

Liz Harrell said...

You know, when I say the word "aqua" now Matt's face goes pale and he vanishes. Cause it usually means paint, which means work. :)

What a lovely little house.

Julie said...

Please keep us in your prayers - Hurricane Ike is headed straight over our farm. We expect a rocky few days with all of our animals. I will try and keep my blog updated.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, I have to agree with everyone, that place has tons of possibility. It could look like a fairy tale cottage!

Shame on Peter for keeping you out of the basement! You couldn't keep me out...I know you'll somehow get down ther for a treasure hunt.
Take care, DebraK

Joy said...

I found the yummy sea glass paint at Lowe's. It's rustoleum's american accents line. At my Lowe's it was on a bottom shelf, so I missed it the first time I looked. It's a really soft blue green.
I hope you can find some. I know you'll love the color.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

What a sweet cottage, THAT will make a fun before and after!

Happy weekend,
Melissa

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

LOTS of potential. Cute with great bones. I know you could work you rmagic and have it magazine perfect.

Deserae said...

OMG what a cute little house! How great that you were able to bring a few goodies home to enjoy :o)
~Des

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I say you paint that rack. If you have anything to do with fixing that little place up, it's going to be a million bucks. Just stumbled upon your site based on a comment from Mo on GI about bloggers...glad I checked it out!
stewcarol

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rhoda! What did she do with all the stuff?! You know I'd have loved to be there going through the trash. LOL What about that little hooked rug I spy?

TinaTx said...

That little house has lots of possibilities!
I'm sure your new 'treasures' will look great once you finish adding your special touches!

Blogger said...

Her home is actually pretty cute, I don't know your market, but hopefully it will sell fast :)

You don't have to ask me twice about AQUA, lol! Go 4 it!!!

Bella:)

Justabeachkat said...

Awwww...the house is adorable! I look forward to seeing it once everything is updated.

Love the pieces you were able to bring to your home. I agree with painting them aqua.

Hugs!
Kat

janet said...

i hope you dont mind me stopping by your blog, i had to check it out when picket mentioned you as her inspiration for painting her fireplace. I too am/was a member of RMS, not there too often now, but was known as decorfun. I love your beautiful home and love your blog.
hugs
janet

blah said...

Dear Rhonda - got your question re opening the blogroll in a separate page - I've put a link in my side bar under the blogging tips heading.

Smiles

Felicity

sandra/tx said...

That's a cute, cute house with loads of potential. Great job of the scores.

Anonymous said...

The little house is adorable, just needs a little lipstick and rouge. Looking forward to seeing end results. I see the right color of aqua on the bakers rack too. Have fun making all your pretties shine in just the right place.
Blessings, Karen