Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cooking with Orzo

My first time cooking with Orzo, but I ran across this recipe in our local paper and had to try it and I have to say, it's very delicious. Definitely a keeper for the recipe book & my hubby gave it rave reviews too. If you like goat cheese (and I love it!), you will definitely like this one. Great way to get some added peas in a dish too. It's a fast dish to whip up in no time.
Orzo with Chickpeas, Goat Cheese & Oregano

1 & 1/2 cups orzo
1/4 cup olive oil
3 TB lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained & rinsed
2 TB chopped fresh oregano (I didn't buy that, but used dried oregano, about 1 TS)
Salt & pepper to taste
5 oz. goat cheese, crumbled

Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo & cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 8 min. Drain the orzo and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice & garlic. Add the chickpeas, orzo and oregano. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in the goat cheese.

Prepare to go YUMMM! It's really a great little side dish, something a bit unusual, but very tasty.
Hope you enjoy it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 friends stopped by:

Kitty Scraps said...

Orzo is a huge favorite in our home. This recipe sounds like one I'd like, I'll have to try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have been a fan of the whole wheat orzo. I will have to give this one a try.

ROXY said...

yumm this sounds delish!! I love chick peas, can't wait to try this one!

Holly said...

Mmmm, I do love goat cheese. This sounds so good! We also like Orzo with Parmesan and Basil from allrecipes.com . Thanks for the advice on my chandy redo, Rhoda. I think I probably need to redo the redo!

Mrs. B said...

I love orzo! This recipe sounds delicious! Orzo is also great for cold salads, like pasta salad. Yum!

The game day condo in your previous post is very cute! The Auburn/Alabama thing reminds me of when I lived in Southern California and you were either a USC or UCLA fan. There were "mixed marriages" there too!

Anonymous said...

I just bought Orzo yesterday (no joke) and had no idea what to do with it...now I have something new to try!

Salmagundi said...

The orzo sounds like a great side dish; I must try it soon. Thanks for sharing. Sally

CRICKET said...

I am soo going to try this!

Natalia said...

You had me at chick peas...throw in yummy goat cheese and orzo and it's a must try! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

This looks like something I will have to try.

How did the yardsale go ??

We headed North for a little leaf peeping,we had such a nice time :)

Have a great week,
Kathy :)

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I've never had orzo or goat cheese. I'll have to try this though. I have a great pumpkin recipe on my blog...that's delish!

Lettered Cottage said...

My mouth is literally WATERING now.
That looks SO good!

Good news...my eye is not QUITE as red and veiny today...bad news, I have to wait a few days for new contacts to come in because the Doc said to throw away the ones I had been wearing. I refuse to leave the house in my ugly glasses, so maybe by next weekend I'll be in good shape again!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Rhonda; I have not ever used Orzo before. I will have to try it some time. It looks like a yummy pasta to use.

Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Elle Jay Bee said...

I hate most cheeses, so I am going to have to pass on this one, although I can imagine it is delicious, for those who like cheese!!

Great job on the condo...the cabinets look so pretty white!

Please stop by my blog. I am hosting a great give-away, again, with Matthew Mead. It involves his latest book, and a gift card from HomeGoods...except this time there are, basically, thirty prizes!!

Have a great week!
Linda

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I love orzo. I add it to lots of things,especially when I want to thicken soup up just a bit. I will throw a bit right into the soup and its done in minutes.

Justabeachkat said...

Remember me? Life has been sooooo C-R-A-Z-Y lately...but a good kind of crazy, so I can't complain even though it has kept me from visiting. But...I'm home now...for a week or so anyway.

I've had fun reading all your posts I've missed and it's sure been fun.


Hugs!
Kat