Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fall at the Country Market

Do y'all have those local country markets that sell fresh produce from local farms? I'm sure you do too. We visited one recently in Argo, AL called Williams Market and it was a fun place to visit. They were definitely ready for Fall with the bright orange pumpkins all piled up waiting to be purchased. I love this pic!
Grandma Eleanor wanted to go out there to stock up on the local honey so we took her for the drive and added some things to take home too.
They also grow lots of mums and had plenty of gourds around too.
Cute scarecrow sitting atop the mums.
Fresh beans and peas already shelled and waiting to be taken home for dinner.

Eleanor and hubby looking at tomatoes. Grandma looks a little dazed, trying to figure out what to take home.
These are fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, but unfortunately nothing like my parent's home grown ones.
But the local honey is a good deal, $7 for a quart.
These pears looked mighty tasty too.
Along with fresh peanuts for sale. We brought home some apples, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and tomatoes. They also have for sale fresh fried apple turnovers that were delish!
I love visiting these little country markets. You can't beat the fresh produce!

I'll be gone this weekend on a little family trip with MY immediate family: my parents, sister and niece. We've been talking about doing this for a few months and the time is finally here. My dad wants to take his girls down to where he was born and raised in Wakulla County, Florida (on the bay not far from Tallahassee) so he can show us his roots and where he came from. He grew up very poor and they farmed and fished on the bay, making a living for the 10 kids in his family. His daddy got very sick when my dad was 12 and they moved to Panama City, where he lived until he went to college and married my mama. So, me and my sister, Renee, know nothing about this part of his life. I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure we will see some interesting scenery. You know I'll be taking pics so I can share with y'all when we return.

I'll schedule a couple of posts while I'm gone, so you're not too bored and I'll see you when I get back!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love all the pics!
Enjoy your time with your Daddy and try to remember everything he tells you about his boyhood. And when you can, record that info before you can forget the details.
Knowing that my Daddy is terminal makes me want to save everything. I just wish I had started a long time ago.
Travel safe and have a great time!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Colorful pics! Enjoy your trip!

sandra/tx said...

Have a great time with your dad and sis. I love hearing about my parents' roots.

Fun pics of the farmers market. One of the last, true, symbols of old Americana, I think.

Suzann said...

I love pumpkins - your photos are fabulous. That scarecrow is adorable!
Have fun with your family. What a great idea!!!

Trixi said...

Oh, Rhoda, I hope you have a great trip and come back and tell us all about it. I love that farmer's market. I have not found one quite like that around here yet.

Carol said...

Rhoda,
Enjoy your family trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.
Carol

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Have a great trip Rhoda! That is a precious thing your dad is doing for you & your sister! My dad passed away in 1999 at age 68 and I wish I could have done something like that with him. You should video tape him showing you & talking about his roots. That would be something that you would always treasure!

Twice as Nice said...

A trip with your family to learn your history will prove to be a priceless memory in the future. Have a wonderful time.

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Love the country market pics! Have a nice time with your family - how special!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love autumn's colors especially set up at a market. My father preached at a little church in Argo when I was a little girl...about 5, I guess. I have never been back. It was such a hole-in-the-wall place years ago, so it's fun to see it brought up in a post. :)

Enjoy your trip. A walk down memory lane is always enjoyable.

~JEN

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhoda, wow, what a wonderful opportunity to bond with your dad. It's always so good to know where we came from so we know how we got to where we are. I love to hear stories from my dad about growing up with 13 kids, farming and being dirt poor. I understand him more now. Like why he is sooo proud of what he has and has accomplished, why he takes such good care of what he owns because growing up ~ he had nothing!! I understand why he worked every second of overtime ever offered to him to give us all a better life.

Enjoy your time with your family.

Blessings,

Sher

Shell in your Pocket said...

What fun pictures! I love the pumpkins!

Have fun on your trip!

Thanks for stopping by at my giveaway I hope you will come again! Love your blog!
-Sandy Toes

Fran said...

We have lots of "country markets" here in Maine. I love picking up vegetables and fruit there. Right now we have an abundance of apples!

Have a great weekend with your family. It is so great that you have this opportunity to see and hear about his childhood.

Fran

BailiwickStudio said...

Farmer's Markets are the best! And knowing where you came from, through the generations, is priceless. Enjoy your trip! ::Jill

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, that is really sweet that you are getting to take that trip with your dad and learn about his childhood. I'm going to do a post on my dad sometime - their childhoods sound very similar.
I love all of your pictures. Everything's so vibrant and beautiful. Enjoy your trip! :)

Bo said...

What a great idea to take this trip and share in your dad's life history. Have a wonderful time and we'll be waiting for your safe return. ;-) Bo

Deb said...

Great country market photos! Enjoy your family trip :-)

Inspired Kara said...

I love country markets. We go to the same one everytime we visit my grandma and get the best yellow-eyed beans in the world.

You are going to have such a wonderful time on trip. What a special place to discover with family!!!

Unknown said...

Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time getting to learn about your daddy's past. I love that area of FL. I'm sure you'll have great pixs.

The Style Sisters said...

What a fun market! I must find a farmers market around me to go to. I have the best memories as a young child living in New Jersey going to fun autumn fairs and country craft places. It was the best! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Your daddy is so good to share this time in his life with those he holds dear.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Nothing like good fresh food, especially the tomatoes! Hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

Michele said...

I love all your pictures. Fall is my favorite time of year.

Enjoy your time!

Hugz,
Michele

Deserae said...

We have a farmers market here too and it is always so much fun to see what kind of great goodies they have :o) Have a great trip!!!
~Des

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love the pumpkins! Puts me in such a fall mood!
Carrie

SophieMae said...

If you see the chili dog signs between Medart and Panacea, stop by. He's a really sweet ol' thing who makes his own (meatless) chili. You can't hardly beat a good chili dog for $1. If you go the other way, just before the refuge, there's a guy who sells tupelo honey - the cadillac of honies. I'm not crazy about honey, as a rule, but I love me some tupelo. 8-] ¡Vaya con Dios!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great trip with your family. It sounds like fun, and I can't wait to see your pics and hear all about it!

Meaghan said...

I absolutely love fall and your pictures are great

-Meg

Cottage Rose said...

Rhonda; how sweet of your Dad to show you where is was born and grew up. I loved the stories my Daddy used to tell me. The farmers market looks like a great place, all those pumpkins.
Have a great time with the family trip.

Hugs;
Alaura

Kristi said...

We have a local small market in town, and it smells SO GOOD everytime I walk in. Makes me want to change careers!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Oh, I just love the beautiful colors of fall!
The pears at the farm stand look yummy. I haven't had any yet this season.

Kimberly :)

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Those are some great fall pictures!
Have fun with your family!

Tracy said...

Rhoda, that will be so special. It's good to know these things and your Dad will love showing and telling about it all. Have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

The weather is beginning to cool here in Texas, slowly it seems, but cooling none the less. You've made me crave fall temps and colors, Rho. Thanks for sharing.

Kristi said...

I love all the pics! What a wonderful trip you have planned! I can't wait to hear about it, have a great time :)
Kristi

Home as Hobby said...

I love places like this. Farmer's markets are the best! Enjoy your trip!

Anonymous said...

what lovely pics, I haven't seen pumpkins piled up like that for a while

oh I really hope you have a lovely weekend and take lots of photos for us all to see and you enjoy spending some time with your nearest and dearest, I bet your dad has some interesting stories to tell

safe journey

Sarah

Stacy said...

Congrats Rhoda! You won a prize in my givewaway! Come on over and check it out!

~Stacy

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

Great pics and I love that first one too!

I hope grendma Eleanor found what she was looking for :)

Have a good time on your trip. I want to travel to Texas to see where my family came from, because I think it's important to know about our roots.

hugs,
rue

Kim Hancock said...

Everything looks so good

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Hope you have a great trip! And I love your pictures. Hoping we get out this weekend to get our fall goodies at the farm market.

Sandi McBride said...

I just love the pumpkins so much, I keep going back to look at them! Our pumpkins became deer fodder, but they have to eat too, so I don't begrudge them...they could have left me at least two to decorate, but NOOOOOO....oh, sorry, sounding a bit begrudging, huh? Beautiful pictures of lots of wonderful things to eat..lol...the honey looks wonderful, too...
Sandi

Unknown said...

Looks really neat. I wish we had something out here like that. I like you blog. Thanks for letting me peek at it.
JuJu

Lori said...

Oh my... I live right down the road from Williams Orchard! Their MUMS are the best!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Hope you're enjoying your trip!

That photo of G.E. (Grandma Eleanor) is fabulous! I'm overwhelmed at the farmer's market, too. :-) And I lovvvveeee that first photo with all the pumpkins. I love, LOVE fall...I was a little blindsided by the 30 degree drop in temperature today (no sleeves yesterday; hat and scarf tonight) but I'm loving sleeping under big cushy blankets. Which I should be doing now...so off I go...

Sweet Simplicity said...

These are great pics! My mouth is watering just thinking about all those fresh veggies!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Miss Rhoda, what a fun visit!

There is nothing better than fresh honey. YUM!!!

Your pictures are looking beautiful lately.