Saturday, October 18, 2008

Salmon Patties

When's the last time you made salmon patties? My mom made these while we were growing up, but I've never really made them all that much, but recently decide to try them out and now I think they'll be at least an every other week rotation for the meal schedule. It's so easy to get in a rut with preparing meals and this is a fast little main dish and all you need is canned salmon. The worst part is picking out the little bones in the canned salmon.


This is how my mom makes them: a little flour, 1 egg, and onions. I used green onions cause I had them on hand, but I would usually use Vidalia or another kind. I put in about 2-3 TB of flour along with the egg and onions and then stir it all up, spoon it out and pan fry it in a little canola oil.
Like this. Let them brown on one side, then turn and brown the other.
Lay them out on a paper towel to drain. I hardly fry anything at all, but this isn't too bad and doesn't take a lot of oil.
Oven fries, salmon patties (with catsup, of course) and some almond green beans. It's a meal and we love them!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

41 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Hi RHODA,

I will have to give these a try, and your oven fries look yummy too.

When we were little my Mum would make fishcakes and beans on Fridays during Lent.

Hope you're having a nice time,

Kathy :)

Kathryn said...

My husband was asking for salmon patties just the other night! Guess I'll have to pull out the skillet ... :-)

I have a hard time, though, when I fry things (which is rarely!). Seems like I can never get things crispy enough. Do you think the oil is not hot enough? Too much oil? Not enough oil?

Fran said...

I remember salmon patties from when I was younger. I tried them once, but couldn't get past the smell while picking out the tiny bones. I think I will try it again. Yours look delish!

Fran

Unknown said...

ok those just brought back some memories..loved them

Unknown said...

Looks like my kinda meal! Great pictures and recipe!

Tracy said...

Ohhhhhh we hadn't made any in a while either till back in the summer when we were camping, that was one of our meals. They are yummy and I don't know why I don't cook them more often.


Tracy

Anonymous said...

I've never made them, but my husband talks about the ones his Grandmother used to make. I'll give this a try I have several cans of salmon already (I usually put it in my salad). Thanks!

Manuela

Janet said...

I remember these from childhood and we always ate the bones because they are soft and a very good source of calcium (or so we were told). Nowadays canned salmon always seems more expensive than fresh (at least here in Mass where salmon is usually $5./lb at the grocery store, yes it is farmed salmon, but still tasty in my book), so I rarely keep the canned on hand. My mother used to make a salmon loaf with cream of chicken soup, white bread crumbs, salmon and an egg. Bland, but tasty!

JAnet

Kristi said...

That is so funny because I bought salmon to make these patties tonight! It does come packaged like tuna (in the same section) so you don't have the bones!

Ivy Lane said...

I JUST got done asking my hubby what we should make for our Saturday night din din! and then I happened upon your blog via Cote de Texas.. gonna head to the store and get the fixin's for some salmon patties! YUMMO!!!

Happy Weekend! :)

Jeauxdi said...

Oh My!!! Rhoda you have my taste buds doin a dance! My momma makes these along with tomato gravy & biscuts as a treat for my Daddy, one of my sister's and I! It is SUCH a treat too! I can taste all of it now! Have a giggly day! ~*J*~

Salmagundi said...

I used to make these when I first got married 50 years ago. Thanks for reminding me - I'm going to make them again! Have a great weekend. Sally

Anonymous said...

My Mother used to make those, and I remember her using Mackrel on occasion. Not good - I don't like strong fish. I think I made salmon patties a time or two, but usually used tuna. Have not made any in a very long time - I rarely ever fry anything (not that I don't want to).
Thanks for the memory.
Glenda/MidSouth

Becky said...

Girl, I am sitting at the airport in Dallas waiting to go to work and now I am sitting at the airport waiting to go to work and starving to death for your salmon patties! LOL! Oh how that reminds me of my childhood. My mom always made the best ones. Have a GREAT weedend!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...not that I ever had a doubt, but this proves you are truly a southern girl...ol' timey salmon patties...yum! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

We always leave the bones in too. I remember when I first got married, and was learning to cook. My MIL would make these, and when I opened the can, I could not believe the bones were in there. So I called her up and she said yes, mush them all up with the egg, onion, bell peppers, and saltine crackers that we use for our salmon patties. So I did, and it was good! I have also since read that the bones are a good source of calcium, too!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My mother made these all the time when I was growing up but I just started making them in the past couple of years.

Hubby and I love them so I don't know what took so long!

Carol said...

My mother also made salmon patties. She always made creamed peas as a side dish. Your dinner plate looks so delicious! I think I'll buy a can of salmon the next time I go to the grocery store. Thanks for the inspiration!
Carol

Lady Katherine said...

You are taking me down memory lane! Yes I grew up on these too. It's been a long time since I have eaten any. This is the first time, I have seen green onion in the patti. Mama used yellow onions.

Kelly said...

Looks amazing! I'll have to try them this week! I'm always looking for easy recipes, and a can of salmon I can handle!

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I grew up eating these. Toss on sides of Mac and Cheese, Pinto Beans and corn bread and it's heaven!!

Thanks for the reminder of this classic.

Beckie

sandra/tx said...

Thanks for the recipe, Rho. My mother used to make them, and they were really yummy. At some point, I guess she decided canned salmon was too expensive and started substituting with mackerel. Not near as good. LOL

Anonymous said...

Yum-Yummy! Have some salmon on hand, I will have to make a platter. My Momma use to cook salmon patties all the time.
Blessings-

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Funny, I just made them last night! I grew up on them too (I'm from Huntsville, AL, but live in FL now)

We make ours a little different: salmon, egg, vidalia onion (small amount) worcestershire sauce, oatmeal/or saltine crackers, crumbled. Fry on both sides. Yum! I love them with mashed potatoes and LeSuer peas!

Katherine

Hopechest Bride said...

Hi Rhoda,
Makes me want to run to the grocers and get me some salmon...hmmm maybe tomorrow..lol.
I'm passing an award onto you I receive on today. The rules are on my blog. Have a Blessed day.
Lisa @ Simply Blessed Bliss

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Great minds think aloike. I posted about salmon patties in my "birthday's post" last week. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! I'm a southern gal and my Mother used to make these little delights, too! I do make them quite often and we really enjoy them. they look really pretty with the green onions in them!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Beverly Dillow said...

I too, love salmon cakes and haven't had them in a long time. I will make some this week. They sound yummy. The worst part that I remember are the the bones. I was told once that you can crush them because they are good for you, but I usually pick them all out.

Love your blog,

Beverly

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, that brings back childhood memories. My family had them often. Those and potato pancakes! Yummy!

Inspired Kara said...

The oven fries look DELISH!!! YUMMMM

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

My Mama always made them too. We love them!
They are so simple to make and there's nothing like them!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Yum! I haven't made those in forever....don't know why??? I grew up on Salmon cakes .... they wore on my Mother's rotation of meals! HA!

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

We have always had salmon patties on a regular basis, too. Recently, I found this BHG recipe for salmon potato cakes that sounds yummy, although I haven't tried it yet:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/salads/salmon-potato-cakes/. It calls for fresh salmon but I'm sure canned would work just as well. Thanks for giving me a dinner idea for this week!

Luvin' Dixie said...

I made those a few months ago for my DH. He had NEVER had salmon patties, but I think he's hooked! Thanks for the reminder, we might have those for dinner tonight! One thing, I leave the small bones in there, my Granny said they were good for me! I told Mark the same thing and he believed me too!

Georgia Girl said...

I love salmon patties. I have never put bell pepper in mine but I think I will try this. Your right I hate eating the same ole same...I was looking for some new things to try...Please add any other suggestions. I love all your recipes...I am bad about printing so many recipes out...heehhe...cheapest cookbook.

Anonymous said...

I loved my Mom's salmon patties when we were growing up but I don't think we ever picked out the bones of the canned salmon because they are a high source of calicum and the canning makes them safe to eat. She would just mash them well. Thanks for the memory and I think I'll have to try them again.

Valarie Lea said...

I love Salmon Patties!!! They are the best :)

Alyce said...

Hey Rhoda!
FYI...next time you make salmon patties (I call them cakes) buy the salmon in the vacuum packed pouch. NO BONES.. Its the best. We all love salmon cakes here. Please check out my recipe for them on my blog. I believe its under the label "fish".

Anonymous said...

Yum gonna have to try those!
xoxo
Diane

suzanne said...

My family loves these! I make salmon pattiese pretty often and we mush up the bones here too. I usually have mashed potatoes and green peas with them. My mom made them for us when we were kids. A southern tradition for sure.
suzanne

"Blossom" said...

Yummy, I'll have two please.
I love them ral crispy.
blossom