Thursday, October 9, 2008

New & Improved Bookcase

BEFORE:

And AFTER: (shelves not back in yet)

You all remember the bookcase found at the yardsale for $50. I'll show you step by step on how it is now transformed into a whole NEW look.
Went to Home Depot and spent $18 on a sheet of pine beadboard. I wanted the real wood look and they even cut it for free. I took off the old backing, measured it carefully, and asked the guy to cut a new piece that would fit exactly on the back. I even have some left over pieces for another project.
I went ahead and primed the whole piece, including the shelves, as well as the beadboard.
Love this tiny foam roller for jobs like this, it makes quick work of painting the flat parts. A brush comes in handy for the molding.
Here it is with the first coat of black.
And you can barely tell this is blue on the beadboard, but it is! I ended up putting 3 coats of black on most everything to get the depth I wanted.
Turned the bookcase face down inside on the carpet, so it wouldn't mess up my new paint.
And with a hammer and small nails, I went around all the beadboard edging, nailing it to the back of the bookcase. Worked like a charm!
And here you have it...the new and improved bookcase! Don't you think it looks a LOT better now? For a total of $68, it can't be beat. And the beadboard really kicks it up a notch.
The beadboard color is lighter than this & you'll see it changing in all these shots as the light is different.
It's hard to get a decent pic of black furniture, but here are the details. I took some sandpaper & distressed it slightly and then rubbed some stain over those spots to deepen the wood. There were already some little holes in the pine that gave it a more rustic look, so they show up with the black paint too.
Not too much distressing, just a bit.
I love it!
Fairly accurate color of the beadboard. The color is Sherwin Williams Rain.
Another fun project! I'm really getting geared up to finish this room now. I may muddle through those slipcovers and see how I do with it. I've got the paint purchased and am ready to start painting any day now, so you will see a new room in a few weeks!

I have to put in a plug for this new movie, Fireproof. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and GO! This is from the producers of Facing the Giants and I love that Hollywood is finally taking note of Christian-based movies and that people are responding to them. Kirk Cameron (of Growing Pains fame) stars in this movie and it's a wonderful story of love and forgiveness and how God can put a marriage back together again. I hear it's doing well at the box office and I hope all of you go see it too. Let's support this movie!

Hope to see a few of you Birmingham girls at my yardsale on Saturday (8 a.m.) If you want to drop by & haven't emailed me for directions yet, please do! I'll be sure and post some pics of the sale later on. I've been busy this week with some projects and getting all that yardsale stuff together. It will be great to clear out the stash closet!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

89 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I love your inspiring blog!
Denise Nantasket Beach ,Mass.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - that looks sooo much better in black! Love the beadboard backing - it looks very "Ballard"!

Manuela

Jane said...

What a beautiful job you did on that bookshelf! It's amazing what paint and alittle bead board can do. You would have paid hundreds if you bought that new!!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
The bookshelf looks great...and very expensive!

The beadboard backing is a wonderful idea. Thanks for passing that on!
diane

Anonymous said...

It looks great! You've got such a good eye for things.

Suzann said...

I love how this turned out! I would not have thought to paint the beadboard a different color, but it is wonderful! You've got me wondering where I can use this idea. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

It turned out great Rhoda. I love how you used the beadboard in the back. Good work.

TinaTx said...

Wow! That looks fab!
I love beadboad - improves the look of most anything! That shade of blue paint is great.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I could hardly wait for my slow computer to load. I saw the before and had to WAIT anxiously for all those side bar pictures. I LOVE IT...I would never have thought of adding separate bead board. WOW!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

It looks great Rhoda! I love beadboard! I just painted my daughters bookcase black including the beadboard, now I'm wondering if I should have kept the beadboard white? Oh well, I'm not redoing it!
I'm hosting a "Support Women Entrepreneurs" on my blog, so please stop by and add your link for your decorating service!

apple said...

Hey Ro, I have that SW color "rain" in my master bath and I love it!! Nice before & after! XOOX cousin April

Stefany said...

OKAY the book shelf is AMMMMMAZING.

I loved the movie Facing the Giants so I am sure I will love this movie. Cant wait to go check it out!

Adrienne said...

Wow! What a change. Can't wait to see the finished room - with your wonderful bookcase - and all the extra bits and pieces that will be on those shelves. Thanks for sharing your process with us. I love the idea of adding beadboard. ~Adrienne~

Justabeachkat said...

A great big WOW!

Can't wait to see the movie. I've heard from several others that it's really really good.

Hugs!
Kat

Lettered Cottage said...

Okay, you KNOW I'm loving the bookcase....It would look perfect with the stuff in my house Rhoda...sure you don't want to sell it??? Ha ha! :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Wendy said...

Beautiful job on the bookcase! You are one impressive lady!

Dena said...

Oh I am going to have to go paint something black now! That came out amazing and I still can't get over the price, you really found a lovely treasure :)

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, the bookcase is amazing...why can't I ever find pieces like this for so little...I need to come down there and go sale-ing with you!!!! Love this.

Fran said...

Wow! The bookcase looks amazing! I love that you can find something and make it look so good. I am now on the lookout for a bookcase!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Frannycakes

Judy said...

Love the "new and improved" bookcase look. I can't wait to get started on my office with the blue walls and black furniture. The blue color I've beening looking at is Palladian Blue for the walls to go with the black furniture....repainted the day bed black so I'll have the bed, desk and bookcase black with the blue walls. Still can use the black and creme toile and will have to get creative for window treatments. I'd like to try my hand at making a valance and have an initial monogrammed on it. I am almost finished with the kitchen, putting shutters at the kitchen window and making a valance over the bay window to soften up the blinds. Then to work on finishing up the bedroom before I tackle the office.

Hope to see you soon!

Judy

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Rhoda, I love the look you created! You are right, the beadboard totally takes it up a notch. I am definitely going to remember this for future projects! :)
Carrie

Carry Grace said...

Wonderful transformation. I'm looking forward to seeing that movie, we haven't made it yet. Hopefully this weekend.

ROXY said...

Love the black!! Looks completely different, thanks for sharing:)

paintergal said...

And another Rhoda masterpiece is created! I love it. The blue in the back is a great touch.
Do you know what you're going to put in it?

Janet said...

Love the bookcase; excellent job.

CMB said...

The bookcase looks fabulous...visit me on Monday to see more of my black and aqua room!

The Berry's Patch said...

Love it Rhoda! Can't wait to see it in the new guest room. :-)

Unknown said...

Very impressive work! Love how it turned out.

And BTW, you are right on the table. It has some leather in the middle which would make sense that it is called a drum table. Thanks for the info! Learn something new all the time!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

GORGEOUS!!! Looks like a very expensive piece, you did an amazing job! :) My hubby and I are going to see "Fireproof" on our date night Friday! Have to support these kind of films, plus we think it looks really well done!

Anonymous said...

First time visiting your blog!
What a great job you did on your cabinet!!
I'm adding you to my blog list if that's o.k.
Thanks for the plug on the movie "Fireproof". I'd like to see that and the one about Billy Graham....finally...more movies that are worth watching....:)

Backwoodsprim

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Simply amazing, Rhoda...can't wait to see it all decorated with your wonderful things.

Anonymous said...

It came out stunning. I just love the base and in black it looks so majestic and elegant.

bloggin' Chrystal said...

I love what you did to the bookshelf. I just found a hutch that I'm about to redo and I was going to do the same thing to the back. It never occurred to me to take the old particle board off the back and take it with me to have the bead board cut to size. thanks!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

GREAT job Miss Rhoda! It looks really beautiful.

We're going through the Fireproof series in our small group, but I haven't been able to see the movie yet.

Administrator said...

I really love the bookcase, and your blog in general! You have given me the inspiration/courage to paint a few things of my own black!! A pine armoir (sp?) and all my frames, etc.. spray paint has become my best friend.

Thanks for your ideas and inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the bookcase!!! Thanks for sharing all the how-to's.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That turned out fabulous! The beadboard backing is ingenious!
Penny

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB !!! And for 68 bucks you can't beat that.

I had planned a movie night over the week-end thought of "Flash of Genius" but maybe we'll give Fireproof a try. I have not heard of Facing the Giants. I did hear that Kirk had his real life wife (that he met on Growing Pains) step in for all love and kissing scenes. That's kinda sweet huh and so UN-Hollywood ??

I mis-read I thought your yardsale was last week-end, can't wait to hear all about it.

Have a GREAT week-end,
Kathy :)

Kathryn said...

Oh, I love this project, Rhoda! The beadboard makes a HUGE difference.

So, this may be a stupid question, but did you just pop off the original plywood backing and then nail the beadboard in its place? (I'm asking b/c I saw a flat back in one of your pictures. Is beadboard flat on the "back" side?)

Beautiful job. :-)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

It looks great Rhoda!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

That type of bookcase is usually made so well. Now it looks fabulous with your hard work transforming it.
Donna

DeeAnne said...

You did such a great job on this bookcase. You are being such an inspiration to me to get up and start freshening up my home decor! I even stopped at a yard sale Saturday (thanks to you) and bought a great glass peice that I am going to use on my front porch. Good luck with your yard sale. I wish I could come shopping.

DeeAnne

Unknown said...

My hubby and I loved this movie. We both shed a few tears. It really boils like down to what's important!

Your bookcase is wonderful. God sure blesses your creativity! Really, it is amazing!

Also, I just saw that you won a Matthew Mead book @ Restyled Home! You go girl!

Oh happy day!
KJ

Linda said...

The bookcase looks terrific...you did an amazing job!

If I've learned anything at all from blogging, I've learned that black paint can make anything look gorgeous!

Kat said...

That bookcase is gorgeous! I had no doubt that with the Rhoda makeover treatment it would be beautiful.

Holly said...

Just beautiful...love the beadboard. We really enjoyed Fireproof too!

Rosemary said...

Love it Rhoda!! A lovely transformation!! I am really liking the black color.
I haven't visited you in awhile.
I miss catching up with you. Just super busy, but you know how that is.
Rosemary

Bo said...

Hello Ms. Rhoda...well, you've done it again...turned a sow's ear (it wasn't that bad before) into a silk purse...and for so little $$.
Your hubby must be really proud of you now...Your guestroom makeover is nearing the finish line!
;-) Bo

Missy Wertz said...

Oh I like that!!! Email coming your way.

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job on the bookshelf, thanks for giving us detail pictures. Hope you find some great items at Saturday yardsales.
Blessings-

Frantic Home Cook said...

I swear you have a magic wand that transforms items into new object d'art. Lovely as usual. I'm stealing this idea.

Tracy said...

Rhoda, the shelf turned out beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment.

Southerner said...

Oh, Rhoda, it looks so good. I am painting an executive desk that I picked up at a garage sale. I did a dark tan/brown color then put on elmers glue then painted a topcoat of a tobacco road color and it crackles. I did the top first and you can only brush one direction and it gets really tacky and looks horrible. So I decided to do the rest with a roller and was going to sand and redo the top. As soon as I finished rolling the front and one side the top looked fabulous and I hate where I rolled it. So I finished the other front and other side with a brush to crackle and guess I will sand and just repaint the other two the dark color and start over. Learn as you go, huh?

I wish I could come to your garage sale, too. I am really trying hard to put off some jobs and just finish what I have waiting for me. We have used a lot of our emergency fund and I am putting everything into rebuilding it.

I see you won!!!! Congrats!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You did a fantastic job! I've been furniture shopping lately and you have saved yourself a bundle of money. Thanks for posting your step-by-step procedure.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME... AWESOME... AWESOME!

YOU are sooooo good!!

Love you,
Kim

the author said...

That's so nice!!

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Great job on the bookcase - it looks awesome! You are so fast - what a great project!

Anonymous said...

oooh I love it in black, good tutorial, great idea with the beading, I might try that on something I'm working on

love the Power of Paint as Mr BC would say!

good luck with the yardsale, i'm sure we are gonna get a virtual tour of it?? hope so *smile

Sarah

nikkicrumpet said...

That bookcase is awesome! I would kill for one that pretty...actually three that pretty! I have a whole library wall to fill! Thanks for the step by step!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Love the bookcase makeover!
I have an armoire and you've given me some ideas on how I can give it a much needed makeover.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Sandy
PS I'm having a giveway over at my blog so if you have a chance come on over!

KM Studios said...

That book case is a JEWEL!!!!
I LOVE THE TWO TONE!!!!
all black would have been so boreing.Great choice of editing color!!!!

Keep up the great work!!! -can't wait to feast my eyes on your newly decorated room!!!!

Blogger said...

Love the bookshelf, stunning :)

Bella

Carrie said...

Can you say ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!?!?! Love the bookcase and your blog!! You have GREAT taste and definitely an act for decorating. Keep posting all your wonderful ideas, I need all the inspiration I can get.
As far as the movie, I have seen this movie recommended on so many of my favorite blogs. I even asked my husband to go. (Even though I told a little fib and said it was about a Firefighter...well, it wasn't a complete lie. LOL!!) but when I looked in our local newspaper I didn't see it listed. UGGHHH!! I will have to check again, I was in kind of a hurry when I was checking it!!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Fantastic make-over!
Love the beadboard.

Kimberly :)

Tardevil said...

Congrats! My 1st time over, and I love your background...it is so me! I'm all about some rabbits too! Enjoyed seeing your "new" floral arrangement, and love the frog!

Anonymous said...

My hubby is taking me to FireProof tomorrow! I can't wait although I know I will have to take kleenex with me. I cried through Facing the Giants and Fly Wheel!

Debbie said...

GORGEOUS! Your shelves turned out simply gorgeous. I have an entertainment center that I have been wanting to paint black. I now have the inspiration, thank you very much. I just need the man power to help me get the tv out of it. The beadboard was a great idea.

Debbie in Florida

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great Bookcase Re-Do. That Bead-Board makes all the difference in the world!! Love it in black.

I'm still trying to finish my master bedroom redo, but had an accident, which put my back out of whack for a while. I start physical therapy next week 2x a week for 6 weeks AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!

Blessings,

Sher

Southern Lady said...

Rhoda, your bookcase is gorgeous and has just the right amount of distressing. It truly looks like one you'd find in a furniture store for thousands of dollars.

I want to see Fireproof. I've read about it and have seen Facing the Giants and Flywheel which are by Alex Kendrick, too. Kirk Cameron is a fine young man and donated his salary for making the movie to his Camp Firefly.

I wish I could come to your yard sale. I know it's going to be fantastic!

Sincerely,

Janie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Good job, Rhoda. Have fun at your yard sale. Wish I could be there.

XO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

P.S. The movie looks good. Thanks for the rec. :-) I also want to see the one about Billy Graham that premieres soon (maybe this weekend). Think it's called "Billy." I adore that man. You can tell he's fine to the bone and loves the Lord with all his heart.

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Rhoda! Oh, how nice your bookcase turned out! You did a wonderful job - now put all your little pretties in it and post that really soon!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

One Shabby Old House said...

You are a gal after my own heart.
Fabulous job on the bookshelf and I can't wait to see your new room.
Love the blue you used inside the shelf.
Fireproof is an awesome movie.
So happy to see others promoting it.
Hugs
Becky

Inspired Kara said...

Rhoda-

Just another big ol whopping pile of beautiful inspiration!

Thank you for continually giving us new material!!

Anna Marie said...

I am loving that bookcase! You did a fantastic job.

About Fireproof:
I have yet to see it. Several of my family members are practically begging my husband and I to find the time to go see it. I can't wait to see it! Did you know that the "kissing scene" in the movie with Kirk and his "wife" was in fact his real wife? He refused to kiss another woman so they had his real wife dress like the actress in the shot. I really admire that!

God bless you,
Anna

Donna said...

Rhoda, your bookcase looks fabulous! Love the colors and the distressed look. You're amazing!

Hugs,
Donna

Southern Heart said...

Hi Rhoda...I love what you did with that bookcase! DS and I took our neighbor's cast-off bookcase last weekend for DS's room, and I showed him your photos. We are going to do his bookcase in black, also, so your photos were great inspiration for us!

I also loved your recent finds. I have a Chef Bunny just like that, which I bought at a sale last summer. You have such a great bunny collection!

I've missed you so much, and am looking forward to catching up on all that you've been up to! xoxo

Cindy said...

Wow, it looks great!!! I love the blue beadboard!

Sandra said...

Hi - I recently found your blog and now am a true follower! You have such great wisdom and taste and so kind about sharing.

This week I painted my entertainment center and really want to distress it like your bookshelf, how do you deal with the primer underneath though? It doesn't show in your pics. When I take sandpaper to the edges, the main edge goes down to wood but each side of the wooden part shows a small strip of primer, like (primer)(bare wood on edge)(primer). Confused yet? :) If I use Rub'N'Buf or wood sealer, will it cover the narrow strip of primer now showing? I've tried to sand more but just end up with more wood showing and more primer showing.

Thanks again!
Sandy
agirlwaits@gmail.com

Christina said...

Oh, what a beautiful, beautiful shelf you turned this into. What a fantastic transformation. Thanks for showing the steps you took.

Great job, Rhoda!

Sandy said...

That is really cool - I will do that stuff one day when I have the time, too bizzy of a season right now. Seems to all revolve around food, HA. Hungry kids!
Happy Weekend Rhoda!

Ms. Tee said...

Rhoda - your bookcase is beautiful!! Also, my husband and I went to see Fireproof and loved it. What a wonderful thing that church in Albany is doing making these movies. Hope you have a great weekend!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Hi! Just wandering around blogs-The bookcase is awesome! I posted about Fireproof as well-an important movie to see if you are married,or thinking of getting married in your lifetime!! Awesome movie, very impacting!

Anonymous said...

LOVE what you did with the bookcase! The transformation is amazing. Great Job!

Went to see Fireproof today and will also be putting a plug for it on my blog!!! :)

Kristi said...

Rhoda, I have ALWAYS loved your projects from the first time I "met" you on the MSN boards years ago! The bookcase looks GORGEOUS! Wonderful! I haven't been to see Fireproof yet, but I intend to see it hopefully!

Anonymous said...

Loved the message in FIREPROOF!!!

Cathy said...

Rhoda the bookcase looks great black. After seeing how great it looks, causes me to 2nd guess the brown I painted my new cabinet. Hmm, I might be repainting.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

This looks amazing, what a transformation!! Love your blog!

Debra said...

I love your makeover, you are great at painting furniture.
Your blog is sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy,
Debra