Monday, November 3, 2008

Updating a Framed Print: Traditional to Modern

Before we get to the updated print, here's a sneak peak at the guestroom. I really have been working on it, but traveling hasn't helped me finish this thing any faster. I think I'm finally happy with the wall color, but it was touch and go. I really can't capture the true color very well, since this is a North facing room and low light, but it's a soft blue, called Rainwashed (by Sherwin Williams). Now, after I painted one coat, I decided that it was just a touch too gray for my taste, so I got out the aqua paint we confiscated from Grandma Eleanor and did a colorwash over Rainwashed, which brightened it up a touch and made me happier with it. I think I can live with it now. Blues can be SO tricky to get right, as the lighting can make all the difference in the world. And north facing rooms are especially tricky since the natural light is so scarce and that can really gray out a color much more than normal. This is a very soft blue, very similar to Palladian Blue (by Ben Moore) that is so popular. I'll try to get better pics of the paint color when I put the room back together, which should be happening shortly!
I did manage to go to a neighborhood yardsale nearby on Saturday and even scored a few more things. This pretty pillow was $5 and will fit in there perfectly. You'll see this orange red color will play into my scheme when you scroll on down.
I was playing around with some of my accessories and the newly painted aqua table in front of the new paint color. I likey! Found the blue starfish at our new Garden Ridge store. Ladies here in Birmingham, if you haven't hit Garden Ridge before, you'll have to go for a visit. We had them in Atlanta and I was happy to see that they have arrived recently to Birmingham. Head on over to Irondale.
Another yardsale find, this Southern Living decorating book was 25 cents. Yum!
And last, but certainly not least, I have been in the market for a sewing machine. My mom gave me her old 35 year old model, but after I took it in to get it serviced, the guy told me that he could fix it up for $85, but couldn't guarantee that it would keep working for me, so suggested I find a used one. I figured that wouldn't be a problem, since I'm out yardsaling so often, but I had no idea I'd score this year, before the yardsales ended completely. I found this Kenmore model for $45, it looks brand new and from what the lady told me, she has only used it a few times at all. Complete with the manual, I'll be trying it out soon. I know little about sewing, so we'll see how this goes.

I still can't get Grandma's aqua chair (without causing a ruckus), so my plan is to try to slipcover my chair and ottoman (which I'd like to do anyway since I scored that $5 creamy white fabric. Grandma did tell me recently that I can have the chair eventually, so I may get it one of these days, but I'm not stressing over it. Fixing up Grandma's house is going kinda slow too. We've gotten an estimate for painting and getting it fixed up which is a lot more than he wanted to spend on it, so my hubby is mulling over how much to do with it or he may get it cleaned up and sell it as is. Just getting it clean is going to be a major undertaking, but at least the junk is out of there. It needs to be inspected too. We just saw Grandma on Sunday and she is still talking about trying to stay in the house once it gets painted and cleaned up, so she's still giving my hubby fits about it all and not cooperating. We just have to work things around her. So, I have no idea when we'll get it ready for sale, it will probably be after Christmas at this point.
Found this little glass jar for $1 and the concrete bunny for $1.50. This will probably be about it for yardsales this year...until next Spring! So, keep reading for the project today......
I'm working on the artwork for the black and white bedroom and have a large print in there that is hanging over the bed. It really won't go with the new vibe I've got going in that room, so I decided this big frame needed an overhaul as well as a new print. I've done this several times in the past and it's a great way to get a new look by just painting the frame, inner mat, and adding a new print. Way better than starting from scratch. I first measured the old print to figure out what size print I would need. Luckily that inside print measures 22x28, so it's a common size. I looked online for some prints and wanted a little more contemporary look for this now, but didn't find exactly the right one. This is a perfectly good, LARGE wooden frame, but I'm a little tired of the gold look now...so too good to get rid of.
That was an easy fix...black spray paint and Rub N Buff. I've talked about this wonderful product before, but if you haven't used it, this is a good lesson on how it works. And it works really well on a frame with detail, as it highlights those raised areas so well. That's a shadow on the right side of this pic (above) from the overhead lighting.
You can see here on the left side where I haven't RNB'd yet and the areas that I've hit with it. This Spanish Copper color is one of my faves for highlighting black things. It just gives it a really nice depth that plain old black paint doesn't do. All you do is rub this stuff on with your fingertip or a rag. I like to use a rag, but usually end up with a black finger even then. Rub N Buff is a metallic paste and works great. It comes in all sorts of colors like Antique Gold (and other golds), Silver, Pewter, Olive Green, Red, White, Black. You can find it at the craft stores.
And here's the finished print all put back together, a Georgia O'Keefe flower print. You can see I also painted the inner mat black. Just takes a little patience & a small craft brush. Looks like a whole new print now, huh? Oh, and I found the print at Hobby Lobby during their 1/2 price print sale...for $7. Not a bad little investment and a whole new look for that room! I believe this orangey-red will be a great pop of color in there too, so I may have to look for a couple of more things this color to add around the room. I loved this print because it was very graphic and it has a touch of aqua in there too.

We're getting closer to the black and white room redo!

Hope you'll all get out and vote on Tuesday! It's a privilege and blessing to be able to do that in our country, so please VOTE.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

49 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow, Rhoda! Great job!

I am always impressed at how you can visualize what you want and get there. I think I remember reading something on Diane's blog long ago about rub and buff, and I've been wanting to try it. I think I'll go through my frame stash and see if I can find something to rub and buff!

Can't wait to see the finished room. Looks like you're well on your way. Love the new pillow and print!

Sheila

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great paint color. I know what you mean about blues. My last house was mostly blues. Of course, that was when we put mauve with blue ;(

Great re-do job on that frame of yours. Looks totally differnt. A woman after my own heart. . . cheap is good, free is better I always say :)

Blessings,

Sher

Stacey said...

Looking good! Come by and let me know if you have any inspiration for my living room.

By the way, I've been dying to try RNB. Now I understand how to do it! Thanks.

Fran said...

The picture looks great! You make me want to go redo everything! I can't wait to see the new room.

Fran

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...you really gave us an eyeful of goodies today...That frame was lovely before, but it is WOW now. I've got to try that Rub-N-Buff...it is awesome. ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Paint is truly tricky, it changes with the light and never seems to come out (once on the walls) as anticipated. But then you can always paint again, right. I truly wish there were yard sales around here!

CMB said...

It is looking good... looking forward to the big finale! That shade of blue is the hardest I have ever worked with too.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Another interesting and informative post, Rhoda. I too love rub 'n buff. I use it to enhance my containers frequently for my silk arrangements. Great find on the sewing machine. I love my old Sears, but would like to find an inexpensive newer one that has more gadgets. Does yours monogram?

Lady Katherine said...

I love the copper rub and buff you did on the frame. I am going to try and pull off a back and something family room. I have a print of poppies in the field thats a Monet. I love your poppy print.

Unknown said...

Oh Rhoda, You always do a great job and I cannot wait until your finished to see it. What a score on the sewing machine. Your blog is awesome as are you.

Aubrey said...

That new frame/print looks amazing! Totally good update. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I had never heard of Rub 'n' Buff. I love all the stuff I learn about in blogland that I'd never heard of.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

That rub and buff stuff looks great, I'll have to try it out. Love it!

Suzann said...

What a transformation! How lovely is that picture now!!?? I can't wait to see this bedroom.



I will be voting for sure tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

already voted... YAY!

And, yes, it is a privelege...

Becky said...

Love the new flower print. You are a smart gal and you always give us not as smart gals such good ideas. Right girls? Can't wait to see the redo and you're right that reddish, orange is going to make that room pop!!!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hi Rhoda! How are you? This looks wonderful...I like the color scheme! I really like that shade of blue, and with the orange, the two play off each other well. Have a lovely day...creating and decorating!
Debbie

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Rhoda, I can't wait to see the finished bedroom! Hurry Up...just kidding! LOL

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I just love your ideas.

I have a print in my family room that I want to try this with!

Sandi McBride said...

Rhoda, I'll say it again...you're just so talented and always finding new ways to do things and then you go and tell us how to go about it (or where to find the stuff to do it with). I can't wait to see what you do with your chair and I know your Grandmother would really love to give you hers...but it probably fits her to well to part with it just yet! Love the idea of a Blue Room!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

That came out awesome Rhoda....

I love those colors together. I have used them and get alot of compliments !!

Rub N Buff never heard of it but I think it will be just the thing I need for a mirror of mine !!!

Have a nice week,
Kathy :)

Unknown said...

I love the blue! It has such a calming and relaxing effect. I love all the accessories as well. I can't wait to see it all come together!

Anonymous said...

I know it is going to look fantastic. I love what you did with the frame and the print.

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love all of your yard sale finds. And how lucky to find a nice sewing machine for a great price! I hope it works out for you. Someone with your talent will figure it out soon and be on your way to making wonderful things.
What will you do with the glass jar?
Have a great week!

Ally's Corner said...

What a great find on the sewing machine. Wish I could find one that cheap. I can't sew but would love to know how. There was a person in our subdivision going to start giving classing; maybe I will do that if she continues the class. You can do so much if you can sew.

Maureen said...

I love Rainwashed but do agree it tends to change in different lighting. We used it for our Master ceiling after seeing it in a show house last Spring and once the sun is past that part of the house, it takes on a gray tone and the aqua disappears! Still love the shade. I have yet to share photos with you! One day! Love watching how you keep busy with decorating!

Karen said...

that looks like it was always like that! I painted mats like you said I "could" and it turned out perfect! I have photos in them though. I used a small can of spray craft paint.

Anonymous said...

I never thought about painting the mat!! I've got to get some of that rub n buff. I keep forgetting to look for it when I'm in Michaels. That print looks so great in the frame now!

Blue is hard, so is yellow... and red LOL! I think picking paint is hard!

Grandma is a hoot! I just think it's so funny how they won't let go of certain things. My MIL was the same way. She could have had something in storage for years but the minute I said I could use it, she wouldn't be able to part with it!

Manuela

P.S. That's alot of blueberry bushes for two people. You'll be able to sell some if you want (Pick your own maybe :-)

Ms. Tee said...

So beautiful, Rhoda! I will have to try the RNB! I love what you did with everything and your yard sale finds. :) Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love the new look for the frame and the print. I look forward to seeing it all come together!

Anonymous said...

***The pic looks WONDERFUL, Ravishing Rhoda! I, too am looking forward to seeing "the finished product" ~ but then again, is a space ever reeeeally "finished"????... Oooooh, how sad THAT would be, huh??? **** BTW, you n' your DH are just T-H-E CUTEST couple, & I am TRYING to think of WHICH actress you remind me of! ~~~ Could it be a blonde Marilu Henner because of your smile? Or is it Jill Clayburgh, with her beautifully warm eyes??? (And HER smile TOO, I think!)... hmmm... I'll get it right sooner or later, but please tell me, WHO have you been TOLD you remind them of??? Hope you're enjoying your Monday, my friend! Blessings, Linda

Missy Wertz said...

Love the frame redo. Yard sale finds look good too! Cannot wait to go to Garden Tree. Plan to get over there soon!

I need to get that candle to you before you finish your room. Let me know when you plan to be in inverness/galleria area.

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

I love all of your treasures and I have just got to try that rub n' buff one of these days! I can't wait to see the room when you finish :)

Hugs,
Dena

Well I Do Declare said...

It really looks great!!!

Angie said...

The print looks beautiful in that frame. I can't wait to see the new room!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

OH, lovely work on the O'Keefe print frame! Two big thunbs up. I'm itching to see this room come together. It's been so fun following the "design journey" with you!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

You are SO good! ;)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The repainted and buffed frame looks so great. The print is going to be the perfect pop of color!

KM Studios said...

great eye candy!!!

& yes - you bet Ill be out there Voting!
Very proud to do so!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Wow...what a difference! You go girl!

Hugs!
Kat

Becky K. said...

Thanks to you I now notice all things aqua. Lol...it is so cool.

Yesterday it was a motorcycle...and I am thinking to myself, "That is a nice shade"...

Becky K.

ROXY said...

OMG, what a deal on the sewing machine. It looks like a really good one too! Also, love the paint color. So soothing!

Alyce said...

I love what you did to the frame!
I am trying to spruce up my guest room too. I've blogged pics..any suggestions would be great!

Terri Steffes said...

Totally enjoyed this post. You are living the American way, you know? Taking what is already here, and repurposing it for your own tastes. I bet your ecological footprint is quite tiny!

Joan said...

I love love love your blog! Was surfing around here and then next thing I knew and hour had passed. Love the room, you did a fantastic job.

Unknown said...

Thats the color I painted my ceiling in my den. I love it! Im going to paint my washroom that same color. Pretty pretty~

Anonymous said...

oooh Rhoda

i so love stopping by here and seeing what you do, of course we have a lot in common in terms of yard saling but I love to see what other people get because that kinda opens my eyes to look out for other possibilities if you know what I mean

love the frame, the sneak peak and the colour, cannot wait to see how it has all come together

Sarah

Judy said...

Hey sweetie! I can't wait to see your guest room re-do...I'm hoping it will inspire me to get started on mine. I think I've decided to go with Palladian blue in there since my furniture is black. That way I can use what I already have.

You have really been on the go lately, haven't you? I saw where there is a Garden Ridge in the B'ham area now.....is that like Old Time Pottery? I've never been to a Garden Ridge but hear a lot about it, can't wait to go myself. I'm going to check my calendar soon and see if I can fit in a day trip to B'ham to visit with you and my family soon. But that probably won't happen until after Thanksgiving....

Hugs!
Judy

Cindy said...

Spanish Copper is one of my favorite Rub n Buff colors too! It also looks good on white!

Unknown said...

Oooh Rhoda,

I can't wait to see the finished room!

Deb