Saturday, December 20, 2008

Beachy Guestroom in the Birmingham News

It was exciting once again to be featured in the Birmingham News today. My contact and friend at the paper, Mary, did a wonderful job with the write-up and I'm very happy with it. You can click on the picture to enlarge it. The article is lengthy, so I'll type it in here so you can read it all. Luckily, I type fast:

Rhoda knows exactly how to describe it: from granny to beachy glam. She's talking about the redecoration of a guest bedroom on the lower level of her Chelsea home - a perfectly adequate space that was comfy and functional, yet lacked eye-catching pizzazz.

Yellowish-tan walls, leftover linens, fall colors and sturdy furnishings certainly received no complaints from visitors. Rhoda and her husband, Peter, spend very little time in the room, so its decor wasn't exactly a priority.

"I really didn't have a motivation to change it," she says. "My stuff in here was perfectly good."

Then Rhoda, a thrift shopper and do-it-yourselfer, scored a find that spurred her to action. A king-size comforter set, in black-and-cream damask, became hers for $15 at a yardsale.

"I absolutely loved the pattern" she says. "But I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it."

Her solution: Remake the entire guest room around the boldly designed comforter set, focusing on black, cream and a "soft aqua-blue".

She didn't want to spend lots of money on the project, so she began to collect appropriate items at her usual spots: yard sales, thrift shops, bargain stores. She also examined furnishings and accessories used elsewhere in her house, to see if they might fit in.

"I started plotting and scheming what I was going to bring in here," she says laughing. "I wasn't about to go nuts buying new stuff."

A striped easy chair from the Salvation Arm could be recovered. Mirror frames could be painted white. A vintage sewing machine could be moved and repurposed as a side table.

The walls needed a new hue, she chose Rainwashed from Sherwin Williams, with "slightly brighter aqua shade colorwashed on top."

She nabbed a knotty-pine bookcase for $50, painted it black and removed the particle board backing. In its place: a pretty piece of wooden beadboard, trimmed to fit at Home Depot and painted a slightly darker blue than the walls.

She found a pair of lamps for $7 and embellished the fronts with black decals. She stripped a couple of old shades and revamped them in a zebra-print fabric. Other elements included a new window treatment, a bench from Big Lots (her one splurge at $100) and a small laminate table painted Caribbean Blue.

Rhoda's innate design sense and ability to visualize the result were crucial. She made decisions slowly and deliberately, picturing how each piece would complement others in the room. "I'm not a minimalist," she admits. But she does value balance and harmony, as evidenced by the carefully arranged seashells, bunny statues, finials, books, and paintings.

"I just like my little stuff," she says. "Sometimes I have to make myself not put too much. You need a little space for the eye to breathe."

Rhoda offers details of the redo and step-by-step instructions for some of the changes on her weblog, Southern Hospitality. She also displays her design sensibility on a Web site for her consulting business, The Restyled Room.

Others may take more expensive routes, buying everything brand new or emphasizing the varacity and background of antiques. Achieving success on the cheap, however, makes her happy and proud. "If you can get the look for a few dollars, I'm thrilled," she says. "This turned out exactly the way I wanted it to be."

Thanks, Mary for a great article, once again! For my new readers stopping by, here's the whole room reveal that you can take a look at: Beachy Glam Guestroom

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Donna said...

That's awesome - congratulations!

Donna

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great story, Rhoda!!! I'm proud of you! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Lady of the Mote said...

how wonderful!congrats!

KM Studios said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
What a great article!!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM ...Oh I always knew you were news worthy this just prove it girl!! this whole make over is just beautiful..well done Congrats to you...hope you have a safe and blessed day...hugs and smiles Gloria

Blondie's Journal said...

What a great story and I toured the guestroom. You ladies are such inspiration for creating with things discarded. Repurposed! The fact you can sew is wonderful, I wish I had learned. I love the zebra prints. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing!
Jane

Becky K. said...

Congratulations! This is so awesome!

Love the room too!

Joanna said...

That is so cool! I will have to tell my friends (that still live there) that I am the frequenter of your blog!! *smiles*

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Well deserved Rhoda!
You did a great job.
Soon you will have people calling to restyle their rooms. I'd better rush out to get a copy of the Birmingham News before they are all gone.

"Blossom" said...

Congratulations! How awesome is this! When you do the home up you do the town with it. Nice of your friend to write such wonderful things about you and the make over of your space. Thanks for sharing.
Blossom

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Congratulations and a great article.
Glenda

paintergal said...

Love what you did in there! I think my favorite is that zebra bench you're sitting on. So cute!

Linda Merrill said...

Very pretty! Congrats on the coverage!

Sandy said...

yay rhoda! congrats!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Congrats! Such a great article and you look adorable as usual.

By the way, I hope you have applied for HGTV's Design Star. Have you?

Have a Merry Christmas!

Lori said...

Hi Rhoda. . .Congratulations on the nice article!! Your talents don't go unnoticed.

Lori

Charm and Grace said...

Now how did I miss that? Oh, I know... I don't subscribe to the Bham News anymore. Seriously, that is fabulous, and it's terrific that they recognize such an exceptional decorating talent as you are! Hope you have the merriest of Christmases...

From one Birminghamian to another,
Christi

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Congrats on the article!

Kristi said...

Great article - much praise deserved!

Twice as Nice said...

Congrats to you. The room sure is news worthy!!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Congratulations! You've done a great job!! :) Vanessa

Ms. Tee said...

You did a great job - congratulations! :)

Justabeachkat said...

You go girl!

Hugs!
Kat

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the feature in the paper Rhoda!

Great write up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda
I've loved coming over to read your blog and your stories and look at your lovely pictures. Great blog! I really love the way you remade that room. Isn't thrifting great? YOu know just what to do too. The interview was great too.
Come by and visit when you have a chance.
have a lovely evening
Judi

Free Art Printables said...

Congrats Rhoda!

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Great article on your guestroom. You did a wonderful job decorating it.

Elizabeth

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Congratulations on your article, It is so great to watch you from start to finish! Glad to see you have gotten the recognition you deserve! :-)

xoxo,
Cathleen

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
Wonderful story! It really highlights your passion for decorating. Anyone can throw money at a room have it look like a million but it takes a truly gifted designer to have the patience and vision to pull it together for so little money. Talk about bang for your buck! You certainly inspire me. Beautiful room!
And thank you for taking the time to come look at my sideboard wall and comment. I appreciate you so much! Merry Christmas Miz Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

I was quickly browsing blogland yesterday. Came back this morning to reread and leave a comment about your article. Wonderful write up and photos, Rhoda! The redo is fabulous.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

That's so great! Congratulations, Rhoda!

Just wanted to let you know that you won the giveaway on my blog today. E-mail me your address and which Cmas movie you'd like to have and I'll get it on its way asap. You can choose from Home Alone, While You Were Sleeping, Christmas Story, The Family Stone, or The Holiday.

This means you're my Blog of the Month, too, so I'll have your link featured in my sidebar through the end of January. If you have a blog button you want me to use, you can send it to me and I'll add it (has to be 125 x 125 to fit in my sidebar).

Thanks! -Julia :-)

(My e-mail: julia "at" hookedonhouses "dot" net)

Bonita said...

Way to go!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Congratulations on the article! This was a fabulous makeover. The zebra stool looks great!!!

Cindy said...

Congratulations!!!! That is so great!

Jill said...

Kudos to you Rhoda. Continue to inspire especially when every penny counts.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
It look amazing! Congratulations!
Eddie

akawest said...

You are famous!!! Congratulations on another great article.

midnight macaroons said...

That's awesome!!! You are so talented. This is a fantastic article....

Katrina said...

Congrats! How cool is that?!!!!

Katrina x

Lady Katherine said...

Congratulation to you! You did a wonder make over, all on limited budget! Which makes it more awesome!

Barbara said...

WOW, you go girl! Great story and picture.

Anonymous said...

Love the feature! I think they should give you a regular column! Congrats!

Manuela

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I loved the article! It does a great job of summing up your redesign...one that I've loved watching unfold here on your blog, from when you first came home with that amazing comforter!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rho~
What a great article.
I haven't clicked on the picture yet, but it the whole spread looks wonderful!
Merry Christmas!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Oh yea! That is too cool Rhoda! You deserve all the accolade and mention, for sure.

Merry Christmas:)

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Congratulations, Rhoda!! I wish I took the paper now! And I love that room. Have a blessed Christmas!

Katie said...

Rhonda,
You are so awesome. I like that your not a designer snob. I feel that no matter how much money we have that we should be good stewarts to what God has given us. I buy stuff all over and I love to remake things and make them new again. I love your blog!