Monday, December 22, 2008

American Village Christmas

In case you're in the mood for a little more Christmas inspiration......I wrote last year about volunteering with The American Village here in nearby Montevallo. It's a Southern Living house and I started volunteering two years ago at Christmas when it was decorated to the nines. I'm no longer volunteering there at the moment and the house is no longer decorated like this, but has been converted back to a period house so all these beautiful furnishings are gone now, but I happened to remember all these pretty Christmas pics I took that I wanted to share with you all. I think you'll love the inspiration and how simple, but beautiful the house was in 2006 at Christmas. Enjoy! Be sure to click all the pics to enlarge in a new window as some of them may be cut off in my blog post.
Outside on the patio, a pretty iron tree was decorated for the birds with seed balls.
A pretty, simple vignette on a fireplace mantel.
Breakfast table.
Wreath in the window.
One fireplace.
Main livingroom fireplace.
Top of live tree.
The whole live tree so beautifully adorned.
The livingroom, this was truly a beautiful room.
The diningroom. Aren't these arches just stunning?
The antique table in front of another fireplace.
Sideboard, with walls that were hand stencilled (not wallpaper). Loved this feature.
This kitchen was a dream.
Kitchen island.
Wreath going up the stairs.
Looking from the top of the landing.
Tree in the media room.
Outdoor on the patio.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of The American Village at Christmas! It sure was a beautiful house to enjoy and the Southern Living group did a fabulous job with it.

I'll be back with a recipe for a yummy sweet treat called Dingbats (just in time for New Years) that I want to share with all of you, as well as a cute bathroom redo that was recently completed with a client. Come back after Christmas for those.

Also, be thinking about your Top 10 Favorite Before and After Projects of 2008. Last year a few people did this (I think it was started by
Manuela) and this year, I have several projects that were accomplished at my house, so I'm going to do a little party and all of you can share your projects too. Do you have 10 favorite projects (or 5 or 1?) that you'd like to share with everyone to get the New Year rolling? Think about it and get a post ready for January 7th and I'll put up Mr. Linky to get some inspiration going. We're going to need it in the dreary months ahead! I'll be back with a little button to share with everyone as a reminder.

Merry Christmas!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

34 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Ex retail salesperson in me immediately recognized the table settings - Francis I sterling by Reed and Barton, Grenadiers Salad plates/cup and saucers by Bernadaud, and either Lismore by Waterford or King Edward crystal by Gorham (my bet is on Gorham). can't figure out the dinner plate... So much new stuff out since I've been out of the business. Just thought you'd like to know...Bwhahahahahahaa!

Oh I'm such a nerd!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this beautiful home.

Merry Christmas to you and Peter!

3CHEERS4MOM said...

Merry Christmas Rhoda,
The home tour is just beautiful; I love how they hung the cards from the ribbons. Too Cute.
I am passing The Spirit of Christmas Award to you, so pop on over an take a look.
-Cheers, Amy

Unknown said...

There are some great ideas in this home. I love the idea of the wreath on the staircase!

Also, what a great idea for January! I've been wondering about blogging ideas since this whole month has been Christmas related! LOL

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Julie said...

Wow - thanks for sharing that...amazing! Just wanted to stop by and wish you a very Merry Christmas! I enjoy your blog so much!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty - thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and enjoy the holidays.
Glenda

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Merry Christmas Rhoda!

Lisa Marie said...

seriously so so pretty I love it, thanks for posting it again, L

Wendy said...

Beautiful! And congrats on the newspaper write-up!

sandra/tx said...

What a beautiful home, Rhoda. So glad you saved the pics.

I'm thinking of before and afters I can share. Thanks for the idea! Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful home, Rhoda! I wish you a very Merry Christmas.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

What an incredibly beautiful home. I am in love with those built-ins in the dining room.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda!

I thoroughly enjoyed this! I'll try to think of a project, but I'm not sure I have something. Will have to see!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Amy Plumb said...

You have a beautiful home and blog, thank you for sharing.
Amy

Stacey said...

I remember this home! It's beautiful. Thanks for reminding us.

Mary Ruth said...

I just love your home! The dining room centerpiece is TDF! I really enjoyed viewing your pictures!

Kelly said...

Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures! I've seen these pictures in the Southern Living magazine before, but I love that yours are fresh from your own tour. You shared some pics that weren't in the magazine. That house is gorgeous! By the way, I made the white chocolate bread pudding the other day to take to a party and it is delicious! Thanks for sharing that recipe too.

Kelly

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I love this house. So classic! And CLASSY.

I'm feeling like a dingbat these days, so that recipe should be right up my alley! :-)

My whole house is one big before and after this year (in fact...we closed on the shore house a year ago this week!) so count me in for the party for SURE.

Merry Christmas, dear Rhoda! Thanks so much for being a part of my world this year.

xo, Laura

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

My first time visiting your blog and very much enjoyed the visit. Toured the American House & Your home. Both are lovely. Question about the kitchen at the Am. House. The valances above the windows look like they are attatched to wooden pegs on the wall instead of on a rod. Am I right and if so how was the valance attatched to the peg. It's a very attractive more causal look. Stop by for a visit sometime.

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Thank you so much for posting that again. I live not far from Montevallo and have been on several field trips there, but have yet to see the inside of that house. It's more beautiful than I imagined. It must have been amazing to volunteer there and be surrounded by all of that.

Blondie's Journal said...

Every picture was prettier than the one before and added to my long list of new ideas for holiday decorating next year. Can't wait to see your bathroom redo. Count me in on the before and after!!

Jane

Anonymous said...

hi Rhoda

love the house, what beautiful decs

congrats on your newspaper article and I hope it does you well, you deserve it all plus more

wishing you many Christmas wishes

I'm hoping to be in for the seventh too, what a great idea, even though I've only been blogging for half a year!

Sarah

Ms. Tee said...

How lovely - I think my favorite part is that kitchen :)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Terri Steffes said...

I love that dining room. In fact, I think it might be my all time favorite dining room ever.

Thank you for sharing with us!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

It is absolutely beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

That kitchen is a dream!

I loved the garland made out of satin ribbon & Christmas cards too.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful place. I love the dining room and kitchen. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Rhoda and look forward to reading more of your posts in the new year. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hello Rhoda
Thank you for stopping by and visiting me!

These pictures are wonderful! The home is just lovely and beautifully decorated. I really like the iron bird feeder with the balls of seeds. That would attract so many birds and would be so perfect outside a window where one could sit and watch while sitting close to a fireplace...ahhhh I can just imagine it all.

Lori said...

Hi Rhoda. . I love, love, love your blog and I wanted to wish you a happy holiday season and many blessings for the New Year!

Lori

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

Oh, that's all so gorgeous! And yes, Manuela started the top 10 last year -- and I'm looking forward to doing it again. What a great idea for you to put up Mr. Linky. Cindy's doing one, too, on the 29th--won't it be fun for us all to see everything on everyone's blog? I can't wait.

Anyway, I just stopped by to say Merry Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
~Angela :-)

Unknown said...

So gorgeous! A joy to look at and dream about! I was so excited to meet someone in my town who had "Southern Living" parties. I've ordered a few items, but want MORE!! Many great things in their magazines and catalogues.

KarenB said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas! I enjoyed this post, especially the stenciled walls. So, so gorgeous. I actually have a similar damask stencil that I should have accomplished by now, but have been putting it off. Maybe I'll use this beautiful home as motivation.
Have a Happy New Year!

Nantucket Karen said...

Just found your blog. I have to say that I've NEVER seen a more BEAUTIFUL blog.....EVER!!!! All of your photos just have me mesmorized!!!! Your taste is exquisite :) I will most deifinately be getting in touch w/you to use your services for my living room decor!!!!