Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Recipes from the Lovelady Christmas

Are ya'll about partied out on touring Christmas homes?? Wow, thanks for the great support in coming to the party and sharing your home links. It will take me DAYS to get around to visit all of you, but I'm going to try, really! I had a great time hosting and I hope you all got to visit lots of new people and find some fun new blogs in the process. Next year, I'll plan way ahead and get myself a blog button!
Aren't these the prettiest plates? On Monday, I met up with a couple of other Birmingham girls for lunch out at Nabeel's in Homewood and a little browsing the stores too.

That's Sandi, from Whistlestop Cafe Cooking on the left and Leigh, from Tales of Bloggeritaville on the right. I had met both these ladies before, but we sure had a great time at lunch, hanging out for the afternoon and talking blogging! I'm still amazed at how blogging has changed my world. We're thinking about doing a BIG Birmingham blogger day after the first of the year, so stay tuned for that if you're interested in meeting other bloggers here in town.
Last Thursday night was the Lovelady Christmas party (click to read more about the Lovelady Center) and me and my friend, Lynn really enjoyed sharing the season with the ten ladies at our table. We put our heads together and came up with a tablescape, menu, and giftbag items. It was a great evening and I think the ladies truly enjoyed it all. We used paper plates for the main course, along with chargers, a beautiful tablecloth that Lynn had on hand and my yardsale silverplate, her crystal goblets and dessert dishes.
I took the Linden Street hurricane lantern with the battery candles and it was a very pretty centerpiece.
Loved the scripture on these plates from Hobby Lobby and they seemed very fitting for this dinner.
Lynn and I got our table set and had a little breather before it all got started.
It was quite hectic in there with more than 300 ladies enjoying Christmas meals, but we all made it work. There were many churches represented here that night and we all had smiles on our faces. Our church had 2 tables.
Here's Lynn back in the kitchen where we had a designated area for serving our meal. We had chicken and dressing, tossed cranberry salad, congealed cranberry salad, rolls and....
A wonderful white chocolate bread budding for dessert. They all seemed to really love this decadent dessert and it definitely IS decadent (you'll see after you read the ingredients). After dessert, we handed out their giftbags, with some girly stuff inside...a pretty watch, chocolate and some bath and body products. They were all smiles so I think it was a hit!

In case you need a couple of recipes for Christmas, I'll share the white chocolate bread pudding (don't pay attention to all the calories!) and cranberry congealed salad which my family has been making for years now. The cranberry salad is a must at our table every year!
Cranberry Congealed Salad

1 can crushed pineapple
1 and 3/4 cup pineapple juice, plus 3/4 cup addit.
2 3-oz. Raspberry jello
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 cup diced apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Grated peel of one orange

Drain crushed pineapple, reserving the juice and combine with canned pineapple juice (1 & 3/4 cups total) in saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in gelatin until dissolved, break up cranberry sauce & add to geletin. Stir in 3/4 cup more pineapple juice. Chill until slightly thickened & then add other ingredients. Chill until firm.

White Chocolate Bread Pudding
4 cups heavy whipping cream
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
2 TBL vanilla
12 oz. pky. white chocolate chips
1 large loaf French bread

Icing:
12 oz. white chocolate chips
1 more cup whipping cream

Tear bread into small chunks, layer in 9x13 pan. Mix together 4 cups of cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla and 1 pkg. white chocolate chips. Pour over bread pieces. Let soak at least 30 minutes (I did mine overnight). Bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Top should be a little brown. Melt chips with cream in microwave, stirring and heating until melted. Pour over each serving as needed. Icing goes a long way, so you may not need the whole thing.

Hope you enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

55 friends stopped by:

Sue said...

What a fun time! Love the scripture paper plates and the idea of putting chargers under the paper plate to give the setting more substance.

Stacey said...

What a fun event. Is this your neighborhood? I love the tablescape.

Bonita said...

What a lovely party! Thanks for sharing where you got the paper plates. I'm off to Hobby Lobby!

Bo said...

Good morning Ms. Rhoda...What a fun event and your table looked very pretty...wonderful paper plates! Oh boy, another couple of your fabulous recipes...I LOVE bread pudding so this is a must try right away...Thanks, ;-) Bo

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Table looks beautiful. I love those plates.

I've been thinking of making bread pudding. Your recipe looks good...I may try it!

Thanks for sharing,
Diane

Suzann said...

This looks like it was a spectacular time.
The tablescape is amazing - I cannot believe those are paper plates.
Merry Christmas!

Becky said...

What a beautiful table! My mom made the Cranberry Congealed Salad last week for a party and poured it into silver paper muffin tins and they were so pretty and delish! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Morning, Rhoda! Oh, what a beautiful time you must have had! Loved your centerpiece and those dishes are beautiful. I didn't see anything like that at my Hobby Lobby! Have a beautiful day!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

It's so great how y'all created such a special day for these lucky ladies! The food looks yummy and I'm definitely going to try the bread pudding...after all, there's no calories in any holiday food, right?

Sandi McBride said...

I've gained five pounds just from browsing...I love the looks of the goodies but that Cranberry Congealed salad will be the one I actually make lol! I'm looking forward to seeing your Pictures of the New Year after you've gone through your house with the magic wand and whisked all the lovely Holiday merriment back safely to the attic for another year!
hugs
Sandi

Anonymous said...

I'm about partied out! I think I'm up to #70 on your list and in the 40's on Boo Mama. I'm trying to leave a comment for everyone, but I don't know if I'm going to make it. :-)It's going to take me all week to get to everyone!

Those paper plates are so cute (the other plates too)! All that food looks so delicious! I'm sure the ladies really appreciated all the effort you guys put into it.

Manuela

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

The pictures from the party (and the plates) were great. Looks like a great time for all.

The recipes do look fantastic, except I think I've already gained 15 lbs just looking at them. I think we will definitely try the cranberry for Christmas and then we shall see if I feel daring enough to make the other for Christmas without eating it all alone :D

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Rhoda...this all looked so pretty and I loved the fellowship dinner you had..how specail to meet some of you blog friends like that and go shopping..great post...hope you have a safe and blessed day...hugs and smiles Gloria

Kelly said...

Hi Rhoda! Those recipes sure do look good. I had a question about the bread pudding. Do you not have to melt the choc. chips first when making the icing? I've never made bread pudding before so I wasn't sure. The picture didn't look like it had chunks in it. I really want to try this.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Hi Rhoda! I love the paper plates you found at Hobby Lobby. We don't have any Hobby Lobbies around here, but I've visited them in different states and love them. Every so often I would e-mail Hobby Lobby headquarters in Oklahoma and ask if they have plans to open any stores near us. Well, I finally received a response that they are opening a store about 10 miles from me. Isn't that great!

Also, I would like to try your cranberry jello, but I'm a bit confused. The recipe says "crushed" pineapple, but the picture is of chunks. Can you substitute the chunks then instead of the crushed?

Thank you.

Merry CHRISTmas!

Blessings,

Sher

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, Kelly, YES! you do melt the chocolate chips. I did it in the microwave. Add the chips and 1 cup cream in a dish in the microwave, heating & stirring until melted. I'll go back and add that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

The table looked great such pretty plates and paper to boot, love that recipe for the bread going to definitely try that one...thank you !!

Looking forward to visiting all the peeps that participated in your party after the holiday; something to look forward to :)

Merry Christmas,
Kathy :)

ps Your friend Lynn is such a pretty girl, love her hair !!!

Inspired Kara said...

I just love those paper paltes! I'm getting some for my family Christmas dinner. They are beautiful!!!

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog you have :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

You both created a wonderful tablescape. I know that was alot of fun and very rewarding. The food looks scrumptious! I will be trying out those recipes! YUM!

Can't wait for Bham Bloggers!

Anonymous said...

Those pretty black and white plates look so much like your blog background - perfect for you Rhoda. I adore the scripture plates too and your table was beautiful. Thanks so much for the recipes. My son would go ga ga over that bread pudding. xoxo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Everything looks so pretty and festive. The food - oh my! Now I am hungry.
Glenda

SophieMae said...

Duller is going to be ever so grateful for that cranberry salad recipe! I've never been a huge cranberry fan, but I'm sure gonna try that.

Have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^

Terri Steffes said...

Are those PAPER plates??? Good grief, those are prettier than some china I have seen!!

My husband loves bread pudding as much as I love creme brulee. I think I will have to try this for him!

Wendy said...

Sounds like fun!

nikkicrumpet said...

How much fun to meet other bloggers. I wish we could have one massive blogger day and all get to meet and talk to each other! The table looked really pretty. Loved the simple but elegant centerpiece. Looks like a great event!

Jaybird and Me said...

That black and white damask is everywhere, but I still can't get off the bandwagon. I love it!

Missy Wertz said...

It looks wonderful! Count me in on the big B'ham bash.

Stop by my blog later. I have something for you.

Courtelle said...

Hi Rhoda,
Wow, what a party! I love the recipes! I will be making the bread pudding!!! Looks Great! I need to get in gear and make my Jalapeno Jelly!!! :-)

xoxo,
Cathleen

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Opps, that's me above! Oh and paper plates! Wow
:-)
Cathleen

Missy Wertz said...

LOL!!! Don't worry about it! I have had these over 2 weeks! Maybe since before TG. I don't remember. I am bad about them too! There was one tag game that was fun though. Weird things. I think I played that one right away.

Right now, I am doing good to blog everyday.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely, Rhoda! What a special time you shared with these ladies. Blessings to you and to them...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Blondie's Journal said...

Seems everyone wants the bread pudding recipe and without even tasting it to boot!! Can't wait to make it. Love the elegance of the paper plates on chargers, will try that too! Please invite me to Birmingham Blogger Day. Love to travel and meet new friends!!! Janet

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ what a special event... (the lovelady luncheon as well) :-)
You are a special person to give up so much of yourself.
Merry Christmas!

Melanie said...

What a great way to bless women!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

I love your table. So festive! Lots of folks don't use paper plates for parties but the ones you chose are lovely. I shop Hobby Lobby frequently and haven't seen the ones you used. Good choice. What a wonderful time you must have had. What a blessing. May you both be highly favored for your time and efforts.

Ms. Tee said...

Oh heavens - the bread pudding looks amazing :)
What a fun, sweet dinner to give the ladies - I love all of it. I loved all of your Christmas decorations, too!

Janice said...

Hi Rhoda....

Do you serve the bread pudding warm? If so, did you re-heat it when you got the the luncheon?

LOL... you can tell I'm not a dessert maker very often?

Was thinking of serving it when my family comes for dinner next week....

What a wonderful event....

janice

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Hi Rhoda, what a beautiful table you set for the Loveladies! How special they must have felt. I actually used those same plates for our church leadership Christmas party last Sunday evening! And by the way, I grew up in Irondale...home of the Whistle Stop Cafe!! What a great historic restaurant it is! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, that looked like fun! Love those dishes!

cherry said...

Hi there Rhoda! love those plates..and it looks like you girls had a blast. Wanted to wish you a merry christmas. cherry

Katie said...

How beautiful! I love the plates with the scriptures on them. I make that cranberry salad all the time. It so easy, and it always tastes so crisp, clean, and fresh. I WILL DEFINITELY be making that bread pudding recipe that you included. Wow...it looks incredible! :o)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Didn't read the commments, but I am sure everyone was as blown away as Am by the paper plates looking SO gorgeous!! Wonderful idea!

Anonymous said...

What fun ya'll must have had. Thanks so much for sharing. Table scape turned out perfect!
We are all so BLESSED-

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes. Hope your baby had a great birthday too! What a great tour of homes you had. sooo many! Hope you are enjoying the holidays cause it sure looks like you are, smile. Take Care my dear friend~

Ally's Corner said...

Hey Rhoda. Here is the link where I took your idea on the chandelier. I need berries in it but I have not had the time to get any.

http://allyscorner-ally0005.blogspot.com/2008/12/just-few-more-decorations.html

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Those paper plates are very nice! I thought maybe you printed the verse on them somehow. I am hosting a Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange on my blog, please come participate and please spread the word. Thanks Rhoda!!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a wonderful event, Rhoda.

I'm still trying to get around the house tours. Wow! Lots to see!

KM Studios said...

looks like a great time!
& that bread pudding -wow i might have to tackle that

A Hint of Home said...

Looks like a lot of fun and fellowship with great ladies. Thanks for the wonderful recipes. I hope to try them someday.

Lady Katherine said...

Oh, What fun! I would have never known the plates were paper setting on the chargers! They look so lovely, you did a great job, making the plates look so real.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah what a lovely event, the table is gorgeous

lovely recipes

Sarah

Unknown said...

What a classy spread! I love the plates! Oh that I lived closer!

I'm having a Giveaway! I just moved into another home and I'm finding my bloggy groove again.

Hugs, KJ

Justabeachkat said...

I'm so jealous you got to spend some time with Sandi and Leigh. Good photo of you all. Thanks for the recipes. Both sound like keepers.

Hugs!
Kat

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

That first plate matches your blog!! Fabulous.

I've missed visiting blogs for a few days, but I kind of like stopping by here when there are a few days in the queue...so much eye candy in one place! Amyway...it's good to be back to your online home. :-)