Saturday, January 17, 2009

Black-Bottom Pecan Cheesecake Pie

With a name like that, it HAS to be good, right?

IMG_3767

Well, it certainly is! We were invited to a wine and dessert party in our neighborhood over the Holidays and this is one recipe I had to bring home. Made it for hubby recently (just because he asked) and it is wonderful.

IMG_3768

IMG_3769

Black-Bottom Pecan Cheesecake Pie

1 piecrust (use a deep dish, trust me on that one)

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

3 TBS. whipping cream (I used half & half)

1 (8-oz) pkwy. cream cheese, softened (I used light)

4 large eggs

3/4 cup sugar (divided)

2 tsp. vanilla (divided)

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup light corn syrup

3 TBS butter, melted

1 1/2 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350*. Microwave chocolate chips and whipping cream in glass bowl at Med. (50% power) 1 to 2 minutes or until chips begin to melt. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture into piecrust, spreading evenly. pour cream cheese mixture over chocolate layer.

Whisk together corn syrup, melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, & 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir in pecans, pour over cream cheese layer.

Bake at 350* for 55 minutes or until set; shielding pie after about 45 min. to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on a wire rack.

From Southern Living.

This is a wonderful pie and all your friends will love you for making it!


IMG_3770

IMG_3771

Does it seem like I share a lot of desserts? I guess there's a reason for that. We have a sweet tooth around our house, within reason of course. Eat and enjoy! I won't be making it too often.

One more thing, I'm really exited that I just started a new subscription to House Beautiful. I've still got my Traditional Home magazine going too, as well as Better Homes & Gardens, but I think this one will be a good addition with a little more contemporary slant to it. Do any of you subscribe to it and do you love it? I have a feeling I'm going to. I've read a few issues lately and they are great!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Suzann said...

YUMMY! I am definitely going to make this pie.

Tara said...

Rhoda

Love the recipe...I am going to try it! Anything Southern Living is great!

Tara

PS--love the mag...you said it just right, the modern slant!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, this sounds so good. I will certainly add this to my recipe box. Thanks for sharing. Marty

Terri Steffes said...

All of Bob's favorite things in a pie, his favorite dessert. I'll have to do this for valentine's or something special, because he is on a low carb kick right now!

I read House Beautiful on occasion. It is a lovely magazine!

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Oh my that looks delish!!!!

phillips phamily said...

That recipe looks dangerous!

I've been getting House Beautiful for a while, and I love it! I also get Veranda. Good stuff.

My secret to getting magazine subscriptions for free: you know those codes on coke bottles and 12 packs? I use the Coke rewards to buy ALL my magazine subscriptions! It only takes about 10 of those fridge packs to get a whole year of design goodness!

Kathi said...

This looks SO delicious! For breakfast even!? I'm a magazine freak too. Problem is - so many ideas and so little time and money to implement. I do save photos of things I'd like to do someday, somewhere, sometime... Like this pie recipe!

Tonja said...

I'm sure I gained several pounds just looking at those pics! That really looks good!

Marie said...

Omg. I'm totally not looking at that pie recipe. Scroll, scroll, scroll! It looks good though!

I get House Beautiful! I like it. I also get Domino (I don't like it).

Amber B. said...

That pie looks soooo yummy! And I get House Beautiful and love it. I always look forward to it in the mail. I used to get Domino, which claims to have a more contemporary slant, too, but I didn't like it.

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Yummy! That looks wonderful!

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

I subscribe to House Beautiful and love it most of the time. It seems to include more contemporary now than when I first started subscribing to it. I like more of a traditional style of decorating. But as a Desigh Consultant, it should be very useful to you. I know my husband is going to love the pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Elizabeth

KM Studios said...

now thats a yummy twist on cheescake!

A Hint of Home said...

It looks wonderfully delicious. Will have to give it a try sometime. I just made a pie from another blog and will have to space it out. Watching the waist line - you know.
Thanks for sharing.

Becky K. said...

Oh My!

We might just have to do this for our Church Fellowship Meal tomorrow!

Yum!

Tracy said...

Oh gosh that pie looks wonderful!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

My thighs just got bigger from reading that!

Kris said...

Thanks for the recipe I'm adding it to my collection now. YUMMY!!

I also subscribe to HOUSE BEAUTIFUL. It's a great magazine with many articles for inspirations.

Happy Saturday


Kris

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That looks so good! I had a subscription to House Beautiful for a long time, but let it expire some time ago. Nothing wrong with the magazine, however, when it went more towards the comtemporary/modern look I lost interest. I am more into traditional. Have a great weekend.
Glenda

Salmagundi said...

Yummy!! That looks like a once a year treat, but I do think I will try it. I really enjoy House Beautiful, because of the way they interview the home owners and the designers. Sally

Courtney said...

my mouth is watering! yum!

I think you'll like House Beautiful. One of the things I really like about it - which is relatively new - is that all of their feature articles are now in an interview format with the designer. So you get to hear, in the designer's own words, exactly why they made the decorating decisions they did. That doesn't mean you'll agree with all their decisions, but I find it really interesting to sort of get "the inside scoop" on things. I find HB has become a little more accessible and down-to-earth recently. It's one of my favorites.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That pie recipe looks so yummy! I don't subscribe to HB because I am not into contempory style decor. I have glaced through it and it does have some beautiful designs in it.

Anonymous said...

hi rhoda - i've been following your blog for a year now but i think this is my 1st time to leave a comment. so here goes:

you have so many fun & interesting posts and your blog is a daily must-read for me. i love your style!

the pie looks fantastic & sounds easy to make.

& i think you will really enjoy each month of house beautiful. as those above have mentioned, the magazine really features the designers, what they're are thinking and how they decorate their own living spaces.

magazines are practically giving away subscriptions these days, aren't they? i just renewed better homes & gardens for $6 for the year. maybe soon they'll start paying us? ha!ha!

Melanie said...

If the recipe is from SL it usually is great!
The only magazine I subscribe to is SL. But because I keep all of them, sometimes I let my subscription lapse for a year and just review the appropriate month from my "collection."

Natalia said...

That looks sinfully delicious!


Now that you've piqued my interest, I just might have to start picking it up,

Nat

Faye said...

Rhoda this looks simply sinful!! I want to try it out, but I better invite people over so I don't land up having leftovers :)

Stacey said...

The pie looks wonderful! I have enjoyed House Beautiful but haven't subscribed.

Anonymous said...

I get all 3 and LOVE them, my Traditional just came yesterday !!! I am going to take it now (freezing here) and read it by the fire !!

My hubby will love that recipe thanks Rhoda, I don't really have a sweet tooth but hubby does and he never gains a lb !!!

How is your weather ?
My sister-in-law is having really warm weather out in CA, wish that were the case with me...we are having a blast of cold air, hopeful for a January thaw !!!

Kathy :)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Oh Rhoda!
I blew the diet enough last night... this will have to wait awhile.

Lori said...

Hi Rhoda! I love House Beautiful but I let my subscription run out. I was getting so many magazines coming into the house, I couldn't read them all. Traditional Home is one of my top favorites along with Southern Living. If I could only get two, they would be it.

Lori

Happy@Home said...

That looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I plan to try it soon. I think National Pie Day is this month.

Blogger said...

Boy does that look good, Rhoda!

You get to meet Susie Harris soon? How cool is that! For both of you :)

Happy Sunday:)

Bella

Unknown said...

Yummy! This looks wonderful. I get one magazine and it's Coastal Living. I don't even live anywhere near the coast but dream about it all the time. LOL My daughter get Traditional Home and I've been looking through it and have liked it also.

Janet said...

Oh my! That's a must try. Pecan pie it my favorite and this has even more yummy things in it.

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome! I don't make that many sweets around here because I would eat them!

Anonymous said...

I take those same shelter mags along with Southern Living. I enjoy House Beautiful, but am concerned that it along with Traditional Home are both showing more contempory interiors. I love my traditional but do like a fresh look.

Jennifer said...

that looks DELICIOUS. like a better version of my standard pecan-chocolate chip pie. I'm going to have to add that to the "try me" recipe pile.

and I think you'll love House Beautiful! they've been doing some fun things lately.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Um...YUM! I'm getting very hungry from visiting with you today. I suddenly want veggie sandwiches and cheesecake. :-)

I found my most favorite shore house paint color in House Beautiful -- Ben Moore Patriotic White (not white at all, by the way. Blue/green. Go figure!).