Friday, January 30, 2009

Spinach Lentil Stew

IMG_3851

I saw this recipe on Bella’s blog, Bella Casa, and copied it to try, which I did recently and it was a hit. Very good flavors, filling, with good ingredients and low-fat too. I’ve been trying to incorporate more lentils into our diet and this is a good way to do that and it’s perfect for these Winter months.

Spinach Lentil Stew

This stew is hearty, healthy, flavorful, and easy to make. There's nothing better than a 1-point meal that fills you up!!

Ingredients:
2 garlic cloves minced
1 med onion (about 1/2 cup), chopped
1 Tb oil (I used canola)
1 cup dry lentils (I used a whole bag of dried lentils & soaked them first)
4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water + 4 tsp or cubes of chicken bouillon) I used 3 cans of chicken broth
10 oz frozen spinach
7.5 oz can chopped/diced tomatoes (I used a whole 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes)
1 bay leaf (didn’t use)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed (didn’t have)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup) (I used baby carrots sliced)

Directions:
Mince garlic cloves and chop onion. Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven. Heat onion and garlic in oil until soft but not brown. Add lentils, broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Add frozen spinach and carrots. Bring to a boil again. Break apart frozen spinach with a fork as needed. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer another 10-15 minutes until lentils and carrots are tender. Remove bay leaf. (i did not use the bay leaf or fennel seeds)

Serve hot!
Yields Approx. 7 (1-cup) servings
Nutritional Info: 100 calories, 2 g. fat, 7 g. fiber (1 point per 1-cup serving)
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Vegetarian Cookbook, 1993

Thanks Bella, for a winner of a soup recipe! I think you’ll all love it too.

If you still want to know what that sign in Stray Cats said...go back and read my last comment on that post! Not what it looked like, although still a strange saying.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

Kelley said...

That looks Deeeeelish!

Anonymous said...

I love lentils, but only really cook one kind of meal with them, involving tomatoes, then cheese, which is pretty fab. A stew sounds like a great idea, and a break from the cheese that I use a lot (even in salads). A hardy meal for a hardy winter day.

Anonymous said...

Taht looks really good...and healthy, too!
YUM!
:-D)

julie & joe said...

Sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Wow! A great source of fiber.

Anonymous said...

I think Bella is an awesome cook! I have one of her recipes that I've been waiting to try! Thanks for sharing this one...It sounds yummy!
-Kim

Becky said...

Looks soooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I will try this out next time it turns off cold outside. Have a happy weekend.
Lorri

Terri Steffes said...

I know that Bob will love this. Thanks for sharing it!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Thanks for the recipe suggestion. I think this might go on my list for this week. It looks so easy and healthy, too.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to try it this week, only I'm going to substitute veggie broth for the chicken broth so my vegan son can eat it. I think he'll love it!

By the way, Rhoda, I wanted to tell you that I bought a pair of the Bjorndal shoes that you posted about a while back. They've become my "go-to" shoe! They're very comfy, plus look good too.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Tammy, so glad you stopped by! Yes, try the soup, you'll love it. And, I'm so glad you got some of those shoes. I just love mine too. They are great for an in between shoe with a little bit of heel. Thanks for telling me!

We've Got Scents said...

Sounds yummy, thanks so much for sharing.
I've added your link to my blog, hope that is ok...and would love for you to add mine to yours if possible.
My in-laws are moving a couple of houses down their street in the next few weeks. I'll sure be suggesting you if they need any help with decorating! They could possibly be your oldest clients, 99 & 95!
Have a wonderfully blessed weekend,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yum! That looks good - and would great on cold days.
Glenda

Carry Grace said...

I really need to give this recipe a try. It looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Sounds soo good! cant wait...Friday will be here before you know it! Yehaw!!!

Stacey said...

My hubby offices from our home and likes to have lunch together. I'm happy with peanut butter and jelly but he would be a happy camper to have this soup. I think I will try it this week. Thanks!

Aunt Ruthie said...

Hi Rhoda, that stew looks yummy and hearty for a cold winter's night! Will have to try it! I also loved your post on Whistlestop Cafe...from my favorite movie of all time!! Wish I could have been there!!
Ruthann

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That sounds good! I just did a comfort foods post on my Home Good blog....

Thanks for the recipe :-))

Mary said...

I love lentils and this looks so good! Thanks for a healthy recipe! I know I'll enjoy this one.
(Had lunch at Panara Bread with Mom today...had a spicy chicken soup with corn and beans..delicious
If you know of a good soup recipe like that I would love if you would share it)
I love simple meals of good homemade soup and a hearty bread!

Tara said...

R:

Yummy looking..and it was so cold and gray here in New York this week with snow...so this is heaven and needed! Thank you!

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda!
How did you know I was in the mood for some lentils? They are so good and this soup looks extra yummy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I was going to vote on your poll about what I like the best on your site, but it was closed so I'll just tell you. Yard-saling!! I love to see what goodies you find on your treasure-hunting! Girl, can Spring get here fast enough so we can go back out on the yard-sale trail??

Lots of Hugs, Bebe :)

P.S. Enjoyed your post about the Whistle Stop cafe ~ I thought that was over in Juliet, too. It was great to learn about it.

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda, I just love when you post recipes and this is a keeper! I love anything with spinach in it, it is so versatile. I also believe you can aleways leave out/add ingredients, you then turn the recipe in to YOURS! :-)

Thanks for sharing this!

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Rhoda... we made the soup last night for supper. It was delicious! AND we have enough for a nice warm lunch after church today. YUM! Thanks for sharing.

midnight macaroons said...

Rhoda, thanks for the fantastic recipes. I don't know what I love most about your blog. The recipes or the decorating....I made Chicken Divan (older post) for Sunday supper. It's the only way I can get my hubby to eat his veggies. Thanks again for the great recipe. I look forward to trying it out.

Missy Wertz said...

I was looking at your FGT WTC post and it brought back memories of when I was single, working full time, etc. The first time I went there, it was so crowded and the line was so long. I had to go and they had a soup. Some sort of tomato based soup thhat was spicy. I ordered it and took it to go. Seems like I may have sat on that bench and ate it. Well, I loved that soup! I went back all the time just to order a bowl of that soup to go. I have been meaning to post that on Sandi's blog. I wonder if they still make that soup. It has been over 20 years. That soup sure was good. I even took a client there one time, ordered 2 bowls of soup and we sat on a bench near by and ate it. She thought it was a 'different' business lunch, but she really enjoyed it.

Blogger said...

Hi Rhoda, I am glad you like it and shared it with your readers!

I should make it this week, thanks for the reminder :)