Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Classic Dining Room

Somethings Gotta Give

I think we all fell in love with the Something’s Gotta Give dining room, with the dark table, beautifully slipcovered chairs, and that wall of white china against the creamy beadboard. Swoonworthy, if anything could be described as that. Now, I wasn’t trying to copy this room completely, but I did have this in mind for the feel and look I wanted in my dining room if I was going to the trouble to repaint and add all that picture molding. And I’m happy to say, I got just the feel I wanted.

IMG_4202

I’ll show you a couple of pics of the finished picture molding before I moved the furniture back in place so you can get an idea of the expanse of it and I’ll do another post later, showing the steps I took to do it. Right now I just want to show off the dining room!

IMG_4203

Now, I’ll just tell you up front, that the job I did is absolutely NOT perfect by any means. If I showed you all the corners up close and the paint job details, I can guarantee it would not pass inspection by a master carpenter. But, for my needs and wants, it is just FINE. The hardest part is keeping them all the same size and if you put a tape measure to mine, you’d find many discrepancies. But, you know what…when the furniture is all moved back into place, that picture frame molding is merely a backdrop…..

DR After

To a lighter and airier paint color and feel in the dining room. I’m in love with it! I don’t think I’ll miss the red at all now. I took these pics at different times of the day and you’ll even see the table set in a couple of them. We had friends over for dinner on Friday night and got to actually enjoy the newly done space. The color looks lighter in many pics because of the sun coming in. It’s a neutral creamy vanilla color, with a hint of yellow/gold. If anyone really wants the paint color, since I used leftover paint from Grandma’s house & the color had been tweaked, I’ll tell you that it’s dead-on with Sherwin Williams Antique White, which is the lightest color on the strip I used in most of our house, the Whole Wheat color strip.

IMG_4205

I really love how the mahogany furniture shows up so much better now.

IMG_4243

Everything just pops out more.

IMG_4205

Of course, the white dishes are more subdued against this color than they were against the red, but I really love the calm feeling they have now. I’m thinking about switching out the mirror for my large botanical print that is now in the living room. I’ll play around with that later.

IMG_4244

IMG_4246

The accessories are subject to changing and moving around.

IMG_4233

And I’m trying out a botanical print up here on top of the china cabinet.

IMG_4247

Love these plates that I’ve had for a few years now and they really show up well now on this lighter color.

IMG_4249

The toile panels, made 8 years ago by my mom are still a favorite and I don’t plan to retire them anytime soon. It’s true that toile is really a classic. I really, really wanted to paint the ceiling a soft robin’s egg blue, but the man I live with nixed that idea, so I have to come up with another one. He detests light blue paint and since I got my way with the beachy guestroom and bath downstairs, that is going to have to do it for me with the lighter blues. I won’t tell you what he said about light blue paint, since it will offend someone, but just for the record, I’ll not be using light blue paint on the ceilings or anywhere else for that matter. He’s been great about letting me do what I want, so I can’t even argue that one. So, I’m thinking I’ll go with a darker shade of my golden colors, maybe Believeable Buff on the ceiling. What do you think about that??

IMG_4250

Other side with the my white dish collection. I need to add a few to this side and I’ve got room for a few more on the wall.

IMG_4251

So calming.

IMG_4254

These thriftstore birds are a perfect mix with my white dishes.

IMG_4253

Table set for company

IMG_4210

Corner with an extra chair and my vintage columns. I’d love to find a large architectural fragment for the top of the columns.

IMG_4229

This is an accurate shot of the color. You can see how it mixes with Whole Wheat in the adjoining living room and foyer.

IMG_4230

See the botanical peeking through on the left there in the living room? That’s what I may put above the sideboard. What do you think about that? I could move the mirror to another spot. See how I turned the corner with the molding?! I was so proud of myself for that one. Like I said though, you can’t look too close. I’m SO glad I did the picture molding. It’s such a nice detail to this room now. Look out…I’ll be adding more of the stuff around here now.

IMG_4241

Looking in from the living room.

IMG_4240

And peeking across the foyer to the dining room. It’s really amazing how paint changes everything! If you’re contemplating making a paint change, just do it. That’s the easiest way to get an update and you’ll be glad you did. As much as I loved the red, I know I’m going to enjoy this one a lot longer.

As promised, I’ll do a detailed post about how I installed the picture molding. It really wasn’t hard, just a little tedious with the measuring and putting it into place. Totally worth it!

Related Links: Dining Room in Red and the Creamware Collection.

I plan to also do some posts about buying furniture and building the bones of your home, so be on the lookout for future discussions. My motto is to buy the best you can afford when it comes to casegood pieces (wood), whether it be antique or new. Of course, if you’ve been reading my blog very long, you know how I feel about older wood pieces. You can find so many great deals out there on vintage pieces of furniture. So, let’s discuss some of that and I’ll give you some tips on how I shopped for my furniture that I’ve accumulated over the last 20 years. I think I’ve learned a few things I can pass on!

Thanks for stopping by! I've got a special guest who will be guest posting for me on Tuesday, so you will not want to miss that either.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

134 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I L O V E IT!!!!
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
Love, love, love, LOVE IT!

Rhodie it's beautiful and sooooooo delicious - creamy softness but still inviting and whispers, "come on in..linger awhile". You did an amazing job with every detail and creation. I wish I could come knock on your door now, have a cup of coffee with you and just admire this room all day!!!
Bravo girl!!

xo,
Kim

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Wow, that is just beautiful. I love all the little details and the little white birds are my favorite. I just wish my house was as clean. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I love the "white on white" look. It really gives a wonderful new feel to your dining room. I can't wait to see what the botanical looks like, over the buffet. I think that's a fabulous idea.

Love the direction you've taken this room.

Anonymous said...

Though the red was pretty, this color makes the room so much softer and brighter. And it looks bigger.

You did a great job with the picture molding. I love the way you turned the corner with it. Great job!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

This looks great, Rhoda! I really love the mirror there, so I think you should keep it. The reflection is nice and it makes your room look more open.

Every Day Blessings said...

I love it! The color is perfect. I love how the room looks larger and your furniture and all your cream wear just pops!I love that mirror there, I hope you don't move it. I also love the molding, you did a fab job!

Tracy said...

Rhoda, it's gorgeous! You did such a beautiful job. It is just so bright and clean looking. I just love it.
I have my whole house painted a dark taupe and I have been wanting to brighten it up with lighter paint...now you've really put a fire under me! Shhh don't tell my DH he'll make me stop hangin out here! LOL

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hey Rhoda~ Yep, it looks just like a Country Living magazine! I say leave the mirror there. It is absolutely perfect in that space. The color works with the table as a grouping in itself, and the shape of the mirror works with the plates. You have outdone yourself! I know what a job that trim was, all of the measuring, getting it around the wall outlets! Sheesh, lots of work. Fabulous job. Now I am motivated to start my farmhouse trim in my dining room. But I am throwing in some orange somewhere!
Have a great week!
~Misti

Bo said...

Ms. Rhoda...you have carpentry skills too??? The molding looks really good to me...and I love your new word "swoonworthy"...and I'm going to use it to describe my thoughts on this beautiful room...
Yes, it is SWOONWORTHY! ;-) Bo

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
Your dining room is so beautiful! Definitely swoonworthy! And I am so impressed with your skills in carpentry. I can't wait for your post on how you did it. You've seen my dining room and I've waiting 3 years for my husband to do our chair rail and picture moldings. Seeing your post today has made me more determined than ever to have my moldings. Can't wait for the how-to!

Lorilee said...

Rhoda,
It is gorgeous! I also love the shelf corbels in the doorway. I have some iron corbels in a dooway. At the moment they are the natural iron color. We debated on whether or not we should paint them a lighter color since the moulding is white!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Deb said...

It looks very nice and soothing, wonderful place to enjoy meals. I have a gravy bowl almost like yours, it belonged to my grandmother, mine has flowers on it, but is same style and color.

Southern Savvy said...

Love, Love, LOVE! I just watched that movie about a week ago and feel in love with Diane Keaton's Hamptons house all over again! It's been a while since I'd seen it and I had forgotten how airy and refreshing it was. Great interpretation. I also love how you have columns in the corners. B/c of the layout in my home I was thinking of adding actual columns but knew that would be a very $$$ endeavor. Your solution might be work though!

Carolyn said...

I can just see Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves laughing it up and schmoozing at your table! Beautiful!

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I LOVE IT! I love your sideboard/buffet (I don't know know the correct term). I've been wanting one for awhile and your piece is great! And I really like all the cream and white combos. There's so many options you can do now for different color combos throughout the year for different seasons and holidays by adding just small touches. And I love your creamware collection. Very nice!

Erin said...

I love the new color! I went to your older post about the red dining room, and I think you have really brought it up several notches. It looked good before, but now it's fantastic! I happen to love the round mirror over the buffet, and how you toned it down from the previous gold finish. My opinion is that it should stay. I think it echoes the round table beautifully.

Christina said...

Oh my, it's just beautiful. I love the dark wood against the light paint too. The dishes and mirror are my favorites. You hit a home run again.

Denise K. said...

I think your new dining room is absolutley beautiful Rhoda!!! I love it and you did such a marvelous job! I do have a question for you...I have tried clicking on your foyer house tour link but it isn't pulling up...I was wondering if you could tell me what paint color you used there? I really like it and think it would be perfect for a space in our own home. Do you mind sharing? Thanks so much! Happy Sunday! :-)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh My Gosh! This is just beautiful Rhoda! Your did a marvelous job. WONDERFUL!!
Hugs,
Penny

DESJ and Company said...

OK I'm not joking when I say that my heart is pounding it's so beautiful.
Amazing, amazing job. I think I need to do a little work on my dining room tablescape.

CMB said...

Wow...what a difference some paint and molding can make! I am so glad to see this because I am planning to have my DR painted a lighter color as well.

Sandi McBride said...

I actually like yours better, Rhoda...it looks real, not artificial...I could go in and sit down and be comfortable. Yes, yours is much the best. It's the imperfections that make it perfect.
Sandi

Anonymous said...

WONDEFUL Rhoda...I love the look. I am more of a pastel, neutral type gal so this really appeals to me....

You did a great job, imagine if you do find a saw at one of your yardsales...the sky's the limit...

Great job, did Peter help much ??

All the best,
Kathy :)

Faye said...

Wow....outstanding job, Rhoda!You definately have a talent! I am of the opinion that most of us don't care whether your carpentry is precise or not....it looks darn good!! I LOVE the calming color and that white on white is amazing! Yet you also have the contrast of the darker furniture....brilliant!

Stacey said...

Very soft and elegant Rhoda!

I have to tell you, we tried doing molding at our last house and it wasn't easy! Don't be too modest about that. :)

Stacey said...

Oh, I forgot to say that I think you should at least try the botanical in there. Something tells me it would be beautiful.

Elle Jay Bee said...

It looks beautiful, Rhoda! I especially love that wall with the shelving and white plates. So fresh!

Great job with the moulding work, too!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It looks fabulous Rhoda! That Sherwin Williams Antique White is the color we used all through my old house & kitchen, EXCEPT I had it remixed to Benjamin Moore. I'll be posting the formula soon because it wasn't exactly Sherwin Williams. Love the new look! You are making me antsy to get going on my house (that is, as soon as all my furniture arrives from my old house so I know what I have to work with!)

Lovely!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job . . . I am so impressed! You are an inspiration on so many levels. I am curious about the monogrammed lamp shades on your buffet lamps: did you make those? If so, please do tell how!

Anonymous said...

gosh, this is simply gorgeous. I loe all the white, all the stuff, and the dark mirror frame...perfect. thanks for sharing so many beautiful photos.

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

Anonymous said...

What a great example of how a paint color can change the whole mood of a room!

The red room was nice and had a warm earthy feeling, while the vanilla color gives the room a calm classy look.

I love the new room is my favorite!

I do think the botanical picture would look great in the dining room. I can see some dark wood framed mirrors above your couch.

~elaine~

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful job! And don't change out the mirror....it really should stay. It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I wish we had white woodwork...it makes any paint look better!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Love it

Gorgeous!

Susan

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Your dining room came out gorgeous. Love all of the white. Amazing job. You have me inspired!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for coming by to see the newly painted DR! So glad you love it too, I can't stop staring at it.

Anon, you were asking about the monogrammed shades & yes, I did those with burlap (my friend did the monogram with her machine). Here's the post about those, as well as a tutorial on how I cover my own shades.
http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/07/monograms-and-lampshades.html

http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/01/modernizing-vintage-lamp.html

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Rhoda, Is your dining room on the 2nd floor of your home? It appears that way in some of the pics. Anyway, love the picture molding that you did and the neutral color scheme. I am just loving all the room I see lately with neutral colors. It makes it so much easier to decorate. You can change your accent color at any time by changing your drapes, accessories, flowers. If I could redo my home I would do it in all neutrals and just pop it with color in the accessories. That's how I plan to do my bedroom...whenever we finish the kitchen!

Anna said...

Your dining room is absolutely beautiful. I love the wall color with the white dishes, and then the dark furniture. Great job!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great job, Rhoda! I know you're going to enjoy it.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

SO gorgeous! You did such an amazing job, I love the calming colors and your dark furniture looks amazing against the light colored walls. The entire room is magazine worthy. Beautiful job!

Can you show us a picture side by side of the mirror and the print? I can't tell which one I would like better. The mirror looks great but the art would be a nice touch with all the white dishware.
~Michelle

Jenna said...

You have completed an amazing piece of art here - love it all. I have been inspired by you to quit relying on my husband to do all of the wood-related projects. I can do this!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great job you did!!! I would love to do that....I'll wait for the tutorial.
Thanks for Sharing the update!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Everything is wonderful. You did a great job. I adore all of the bunnies you have displayed. :)

Kether said...

Oh! I loved the red, so I didn't expect to like this new softer palatte, but I LOVE it. Its so soothing. You have such an eye!!

southerninspiration said...

OH, it IS so calming! I love it!

Suzanne

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Rhoda, I just love it! It is so calming yet still welcoming. You did an amazing job on the moulding. I don't think I would be brave enough to attempt that!

Chris said...

Rhoda, it is a DREAM!!! I have been looking for a new paint color for my dining room, and I (you) just found it! I LOVE it! Absolutely gorgeous! By the way, ANY detail you can give on the wainscoting will be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a summer project of mine, and I've never done it before! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda is it AWESOME! As always I love love love what you've done! Thank you for answering my question about my old plain Jane doors and the trim. :)
I have a piece in the attic left over from the house that I think I will play with. In fact there are SEVERAL pieces left over up there. lol
awesome Rhoda! GREAT JOB once again!

Anonymous said...

You oughtta be very proud of your work. Your home is beautiful. I also love toile, especially the original black toile. Nowadays they make it many colors, but black is still the best for me. Black on white. I have drapes in toile in my bedroom, along with the bedding and matching pillows. I use the bedding during Autumn and Winter. For Spring and Summer I use a soft, white comforter, but I leave the drapes up year round. Your blog is always awe-inspiring.

Hopechest Bride said...

You did a beautiful job Rhoda. Simply beautiful.
Lisa

Gretchen said...

Divine!!!
The room is pure southern sophistication.

Your white dish collection looks stunning!

Judy said...

I finally got your post to pull up and you're right, it is swoonworthy! (love that word). I think when I re-do the foyer and dining room, I'll definately add some moulding as it really makes a room more elegant. The colors are extremely calming and you know how I feel about the white cremeware and dark furniture, both of which I have in my dining room right now. So, the dining room and foyer may be getting a re-do sooner than I thought!

You did a great job and I'm looking forward to reading about how you did the cutting of the wood, etc.

As always, you are my inspiration Rhoda!

Love ya,
Judy

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Well, you did it again girl!! Beautiful! I love it. Do you ever run out of energy? I mean, you just finished the beachy room and here you go again. I like the mirror of the sideboard. Maybe take down a few pieces of the creamware and add a few botanticals photos on easels to the white shelves? Just my idea. I trying to catch up on reading blogs. . . because I just got back from visiting my parents in Florida (nightmare trip, but thankfully, I was there to nurse them both back to health).

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Good golly I love it! I wasn't too sure last year when you mentioned you wanted to change the color as I really loved the white dishes against the red but this turned out really pretty!

You are amazing! Doing that picture molding yourself! It looks fantastic! You should be really proud of yourself for tackling something like this! It turned out great!

Manuela

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

You have a beautiful home. You did a great job on your picture frame molding. I never would have thought to wrap around the corner, but it works. Great job.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is absolutely fabulous! I love the way you take on things yourself and are not intimidated or feel like things have to be perfect. The dining room is perfect to me and just delicious - what more can I say?! Linda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda...this is absolutely beautiful...I loved it in red and I love it in this soft neutral. Just outstanding! I agree with the poster who said keep the mirror...it is perfect where it is! I enjoy your blog and "tune" in often to follow your work and dreams. Carry on !!!!!!!

Sheila from west Michigan

Southern said...

it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I absolutely love it and I'm totally jealous!!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

My first reaction? Luscious!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
The dining room is beautiful. It doesn't look like the same house!

I thought it was pretty before, but I love the change!

Allyson said...

I LOVE IT. Oh my, that is awesome! You did a fantastic job.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda ~ Absolutely gorgeous!

May I ask an off-topic question? I would like to do a paper mache project similar to your letter project. I cannot find patterned tissue paper. I would like a pattern like the black/white background of your blog. Do you know where I can find it? Thanks for your help.

You are a decorating inspiration!

~Deborah~

Anonymous said...

Congratulations this article has been deemed to be the best of the Web and is featured on the Worthington Wire.

You can view your listing and grab your badge to brag about the feature here:

http://WorthingtonWire.com

xo, Alli Worthington

Zoe said...

Amazingly beautiful! It is so elegant and so you. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Hugs,

Zoe

Kathi said...

Love your "new" dining room! Your accessories are so pretty! I really like the white shelves and plates on the wall... Been wondering what to do in my little dining room. Thanks for your inspiration! Great job on the molding too!

Unknown said...

Another fantastic transformation by you. You are so talented, I love coming to see your work.

Justabeachkat said...

Wonderful! Lots of hard work, but I know you're happy. I love the new foyer rug too.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I'm totally inspired! I checked out your old post to look at your Red Dining Room- and I really love the new look! My kitchen is that with white cabinets- and I'm ready for a change- you've given me the inspiration for color and detail- I'm getting bead boards!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda.....How smashing the DR looks! the picture frame molding project turned out awesome! I love that color with your accessories. So calming & inviting....looks so pretty. Great job :)
Bonnie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

BEAUTIFUL! laurie

KM Studios said...

RED? WHAT RED!
Rhoda- this is awesome! That room is finally breathing!!!!

I just got done building an art studio.I know it can be alot of work.(check my post out)
You Did a fantastic job at tackeling moulding!
(i can't put enough exclaimations here)

Looking at all of the pictures of your house I think you love color. Am I right?
Well, the new dinning room is much calmer than the rest of your house. I looks like you pushed away from your color pallet-I can see your growing and experimenting..and its so fabulouse!!!!
That might be why you feel the need to get that picture from the living room in there. ----Dont!
That room speaks for itself.It is so elegant & stands out.
If you are craving color then maybe bring it in with small pillows on the extra side chairs. Or maybe even in a center piece for the table.
NO, the mirror is perfect..the room is perfect!!!
Oustanding job!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,Great Room,I visit your house often. So inspired. Where did you get the mirror?I have my Grandmothers DR set and I have been looking for the right mirror.
May use the plate Idea.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL again for such great comments! Looks like the concensus is to keep the mirror as it is, so I will probably do that. Then I won't have to shift everything around when I start moving one more thing.

Deborah, you were asking about tissue paper. I found the leopard tissue paper at Hobby Lobby & I would think that other places that carry cards & wrapping paper might have something like the black/white damask too. Also keep in mind that paper napkins will work too, so you may be able to find those somewhere. That's such a popular pattern.

Anon, you were asking about the mirror. That is a Tuesday AM find from a few years ago.

Thanks again everyone!!

Lacy said...

wow, Rhoda!!!...it's beautiful!!...love your new 'look'!!..thanks for sharing...Lacy

Anonymous said...

What an awesome job well done.
Thanks for sharing.

Bridget said...

Oh my! You have a gorgeous home!!! Your blog title is a perfect fit with this room!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Rhoda, I always liked your red dining room, but I LOVE the new look. I was amazed when you said the room is only 10 x 12 because it looks so much larger than that! Great job with the picture molding. We just added that to our dining room, too, and I know how tricky things like corners can be!

It's really beautiful. And I happen to like the mirror you have in there. I think it's gorgeous against the pale walls.

What a wonderful makeover!

Joanna said...

What a dramatic statement that makes! It looks fabulous!

Meredith said...

Lighter and brighter and bigger!

What's not to love?

Good work Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

Wow Rhoda, it looks fantastic. I did the same thing to my DR last year and really love it. I already had the chair rail and under it was painted a burgundy color...it seems a little dated to me. So, I did the same thing...lightened up and added the picture frame molding. I love it! Enjoy your new look and thanks for sharing.
Desiree aka desid on RMS

Courtney said...

Wow. If I were you, I'd find an excuse to just hang out in my dining room all day. It is GORGEOUS! And I wouldn't change a thing. I love the mirror there and even the ceiling white. If you HAD to paint the ceiling, I'd try a metallic paint...something with some copper or gold in it to still reflect light. Otherwise, it might feel a little too cave-like to have a darker color on the ceiling of such a light and airy room. But you've made impeccable choices so far, so I bow to your wisdom. :-)

Anonymous said...

One more question Rhoda, I love your sisal rug with the black border. I've been looking for one just like it in an 8x10 size. I keep seeing them at Home Goods, but not with a black border...so...I just keep looking. I really don't want to pay Ballard's prices. Where did you get yours? Please don't tell me you picked it up for a song at a yard sale, ugh!
Desiree

Debra from Bungalow said...

HI Rhoda, It's gorgeous!!! Even better thn I expected it to be. Totally inspiring......my red is going soon. Hugs, DebraK

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Desiree, hope you'll come back to see this. I got that seagrass rug at Overstock.com. Here's the link, although it looks like black might not be available right now. It seems like I had to wait a couple of months for them to get them in again. It's been about 2 years since I ordered mine. And I don't think the price was $199 when I got mine, I think it was less.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Basketweave-Seagrass-Rug-8-x-10/47347/product.html

Robin Feltner said...

Absolute gorgeousness! I can barely breathe. That's so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous dining room! I love all your plates and accessories. I'm afraid if I had such beautiful things in my kitchen, it wouldn't last long with a baby (who will be crawling soon!) and wild 3 year old!

Local Girl said...

Beautiful job!!! I love what you've done especially the white plate collection - stunning! You should be very proud :)

Kimberly said...

Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your beautiful dining room! The neutral walls really make your lovely furnishings the star of the show. Great job!

Suzanne said...

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! I recently took my dining room from burgundy to RH's Silver Sage. Amazing what a difference a paint change can make in a room. Oh, and keep the mirror over the buffet. It looks perfect there!

Anonymous said...

Love it soooo much!!!! Please dont think I've gone crazy but I may come back to this post a gazillon times. I want this same look too. I have been for a while now thanks to Layla and now you! You did such an awesome job. As soon as Madison and I get her room wrapped up Im getting the saw out. Thank you so much for showing all of us...We can!

Sandy said...

Beautiful and classy indeed! Lovely, Rhoda!

Aubrey said...

Rhoda it looks fabulous! In fact, I didn't recognize it as your room when you showed the first picture with furniture--I thought it was still a magazine of movie set picture--so I guess there's proof you did a very good job, right? I love it--it's making me lean toward lighter and brighter on my walls since my house is so stinking small.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Rhoda, I think we may be soul sisters! Case in point: 1. our similar damask blog wallpaper; 2. I was the one who emailed you about the lyre-backed chairs that I'm coveting; 3. I just did picture molding in my dining room this year!!! Love this blog world!!!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous!!!

Coffee with Cathy said...

As always, thank you so much for the inspiration. And could I borrow your readers for a little favor? My friend is opening a consignment store and can't choose between two names: Repeat Street and Upscale Resale. She asked me to poll the blogosphere for ideas, so if y'all could her out by going to my blog, cathylwood.wordpress.com, or e-mailing me at cathylwood@gmail.com with a vote - or another idea for a name -- she would so appreciate it. Thank you!

paintergal said...

Rhoda! *clapping wildly*
Look at you go!
You did it. Love those new moldings. What a great way to enhance your DR.
You captured the Something's Gotta Give look too.

David and Christine said...

Love everything you have done it's simply gorgeous. I must also say that I adore your china hutch can we please see another picture of it?

Fabulous room!

Pretty Organizer said...

Oh... white dishes, urns, toile, demask, classic.... I'm in heaven. Rhoda, what a great room you've created! I love it. I'm trying to work the classic look around my everyday kitchen out of necessity. Dang builders never give you enough cupboards. I figure as long as I'm decorating, I might as well make it user friendly. I don't mind taking a dish of a shelve to use for dinner. So beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration. AGAIN!
Pretty Organizer

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
It looks just BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Anita said...

Such a good job! Quit saying it's not- you did fabulous! I mean- such an inspiration to those who think they have to have a man do it or hire it done....you did a tremendous job. It adds such class to your room- really take it up a notch- and I love the soothing colors...such a nice change. I am a red fanatic and have a red kitchen- I've always had bright colored walls- but recently toned it down a notch in my living room and I am loving it. And I still think I might cut off my living room checked drapes and copy your check/toile panels- my check is red/tan so am thinking brown/crea, toile for the lower half....I'll post them when I get em done here in a few eeks. I am also trading out my 2 loveseats for my friend's couch- we're doing a swap....

Anita

delighted heart said...

Hi Rhoda! Thanks for stopping by and the sweet comment about my "neutrals". I love your new dining room. It's so calming! I bet it was amazing in red also but I'm liking the new! My dining room was my red room BP (before paint!)too! That print would look great in there and then you could use a few pops of pink for a change! That would look springy!
Have a great week!
Blessings!
Patti

Suzanne said...

So so soooo very classy and elegant. LOVE your style!

Kathleen Ellis said...

WOW! Rhoda, you did a fabulous job! You are quite the carpenter! To even have the guts to tackle a moulding project like that...WOW!
Although I thought your red dining room was quite lovely(I went back to some of your previous posts) this is beautiful! Light and airy and your furniture does pop! The white collection looks wonderful on that wall color!
You must smile every time you go by this room!
Have a fabulous week!
;-D
Kathleen

cotedetexas said...

gorgeous! beautiful! perfect! omg - I love this. I"m getting so jealous of everyone's new paint jobs - I want light too - not yellow! help!!!!

I saw you won at Eddie's with your guest room - congrats!!!!!!

p.s. I like the mirror in the dining room. maybe if you want a change you could paint it white??? just a thought. it looks good dark too. I'm just a mirror girl.

Anonymous said...

Wowza, you've been working hard haven't you? This looks positively beautiful! I love the white dishes displayed on the wall. So, my house is next on your list, right:)

Darlene said...

I LOVE everything about it!!!!! BEAUTIFUL!♥

Unknown said...

Wow, that is amazingly beautiful. I LOVE IT! Every detail is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda I can't think of a more perfect dining room. I love your new look. I've used the Antique White paint strip in my house too. We have AWhite, Believable Buff and Camelback in most of our house. Our dining room is the only one that has red (Raspberry Truffle) on the top walls and white under the chair rail. But after seeing how your room turned out you have me SO tempted to add Antique White in there too. Can't wait to see your directions for the wainscot molding because we really want to do that too. You should be so proud of your accomplishments...they are awesome! RJ

Dena said...

Absolutely stunning Rhoda! It looks like a magazine shoot.

Hugs,
Dena

ohiofarmgirl said...

I am so glad I visited you today. I have miso red in the living room and moss green in the dining room but have been wanted to paint for about a year but I just could not come up with colors that I would want to use...until today. I do hope you age going to give a tutorial on how to put up the molding because if I am going to have it in my home I will be the one to put it up...please do share! Thanks for your inspiration. Dianntha

Nancy Wyatt said...

Love it! When should I come visit? hee hee. hugs from Texas

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Overstock. It is just what I was looking for. I've seen them for $169 at Homegoods. I'm hoping they'll get one with a black border in before I just decide to go ahead and order from Overstock.
Does your rug have a smell?? Did it? If so, did it go away quickly??
My family has allergies and I can hear them already...ugh!
Let me know if you can, I'll check back.
Desiree

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Desiree, I remember when I rolled out that rug that it did have a grassy smell, but it did go away within a week or so. Now there is no smell at all.

I think I only paid about $125-150 for that rug 2 years ago. Don't know why the price went up so much more.

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely. Calm and serene, yet elegant and crisp. Beautiful!

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Rhoda,
Wow! Let me say that again - WOW! What an incredible transformation! I loved it before but I love it even more now. Just right for the fresh, spring season. I love the molding. I have the same thing in my dining room but my walls above it are painted a warm gold hue. Well, your space is divine and full of panache!

Katie said...

I love it, you are so awesome!! So talented.

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, you did a great job! It's gorgeous - I love the wall color and all of the white dishes!

Cindy said...

I loved the red a lot but this is just stunning!!!! Wow, I can't get over how beautiful it looks! I'm really thinking about painting my yellow walls a calmer sand color. It's just so soothing!

Jennifer said...

great job!! it is seriously impressive. kind of makes me want to give it a try, though there are plenty of other things on my "list."

I agree that the mirror doesn't look quite right now. everything is light, and it seems a little heavy for the space. botanicals would be pretty, or even a mirror with a smaller, lighter frame, maybe gilt wood? I'm sure you'll find something, or have something you can move!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It is stunning....I loved the red (I adore red) but it is perfect in this color! It is classic, restful, beautiful...I would love to sit in there and eat and never leave!

Magic Brush said...

Fantastic job! And I'm so glad you tried another color! Paint is the easiest change to make and makes the biggest impact. Love your molding also! Great work! The Magic Brush

Anonymous said...

Your dining room is beautiful! I saw it on Melissa's blog and had to come over for a closer look. Love everything you've done!

~ Lynda

Maureen said...

Beyond...beyond... beyond fabulous! I can't wait to just take in every single photo. I love the inspiration (movie set), but I love the finished results (your house) even more. Just gorgeous.

{darlene} said...

Oh, yours is definitely SWOON worthy!!
I love those plates... did it take you forever to hang them.
You might kill me, but I just took down all of the picture moulding in our diningroom, but that was so we could go back to a more period look (1850's North of Mason Dixon line). Stop by and see on my blog sometime (btw. it is soooooo NOT done!).
Anyway, great decorating. Makes me miss my Southern days. And nothing says Southern like a mahogany buffet, no??
:)
Darlene

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, RHODA! You knocked it out of the park!! I think you did an amazing job with the walls...just incredible, really!...and I love the placement of all of the "objects du art" in the room. The "whiteware" looks fabulous on the shelves, and I just love your china cabinet...it pops so well against the light walls. BRAVA! :-)

Peacock Blue said...

I LOVE it! Its so light and airy now! Your sideboard is beautiful, I love that style. And love the way your dining room is open to your double foyer! You have a beautiful home!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Looks Great! Now, I have to repaint my red dining room! I am definitely going with white, cream, or light yellow, now that I have seen yours.
www.TheOldPostRoadBLOG.blogspot.com

Southern Fried Gal said...

Beautiful but I would expect no less from you! Thanks for the inspiration!

Brandi said...

The molding is to-die-for and I love the sideboard. Beautiful room. . . or should I say ANOTHER beautiful room!

Little April said...

I LOVE IT!!!!
The room is gorgeos, you are very talented!!!!

Reid said...

LOVE the new wall color!!!!! I agree, it really makes things pop!! And love the creamware!!!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey there~
Ok so I get busy and never saw this!
Love the change. It looks so fresh and light, perfect.
Donna

Linelle said...

I just had to say that your dining room inspired me to give Antique White a try. It's now in my living/dining room, hallway and bathroom. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I tested a SW quart and then had it matched by Kelly Moore. It feels like being surrounded by a rich buttercream wedding cake. Also put it on the ceilings and it's gorgeous. I want to take a bite out of it. Both black and dark brown woods look good with it, esp. the brown. Thank you for the inspiration!

Carrie said...

Girl, what have you not done?! I am considering picture moulding in our dining room and therefore googled it to see what others had done and low and behold Southern Hospitality's dining room popped up!! I should have know. What a beautiful room you have! Very inspiring. I think I might just have to find a miter saw and get to work on that picture moulding.