Monday, February 2, 2009

Framing those Boring Mirrors

IMG_3947

The mirrors are finished and ready to share so get settled in for LOTS of pics. I’ll try to answer all your questions with pics and instructions, so that all of you can try this at home. I learned again the best way to do this and I think I have it fine-tuned now. I'll cover it all below in a bulleted list so that you can see all the instructions in one spot. Here’s all the materials being painted. I bought 2 sets of fluted molding. One was real wood and one set was that composite stuff. I’d highly recommend you go with the composite stuff, as it is flat, lightweight and easy to work with. So, keep that in mind. I had some problems because one piece of the “real” fluted molding was slightly bowed. But, I conquered it and made it work. That hideous purple color was a free can of spray paint I got & used as primer. I found the real fluted wood at one Lowes and didn't see the other composite stuff until I went to another store. So, look around and get the already primed lightweight stuff. Lowes should have it! IMG_3948

Here you can see the white primed lightweight molding. This is what you want to look for at Lowes or Home Depot. It’s all in the decorative wood section, as well as those corner rosettes. I used black for one bathroom and my trusty Ralph Lauren Turret Stair in the other since I have already painted my vanity in the dark chocolate brown color. IMG_3950

My miter box comes in handy for cutting molding like this and I plan to put it to use in the dining room too. The composite molding cuts like butter, very easy.

IMG_3949

OK, several of you asked about the clips on your mirror. Here’s something that you need to check first. Take out the screws which are holding the mirror in place and see if there is extra mastic or adhesive on the back of the mirror that will still hold it up if you take these clips off. I found that one of mine was stuck with some adhesive on the back and one was not. This is where the Liquid Nails will come in handy. I simply took off both clips on the one mirror, leaned the mirror towards me and shot Liquid Nails all down the back of the mirror, pushed it in place and put the clips back up so it could all dry for at least 24 hours. I checked it the next day and sure enough, it was adhered just fine. So, that’s how to get around the clips. They can definitely be taken down.

IMG_3971

You may have a slotted little clip at the bottom of your mirror. You can see mine is pretty corroded and not very attractive. This is flat enough that you can just cover it up with the molding, no problem at all. If you have another kind of holder on your mirror, you’ll probably have to take it off. It’s really not a problem to put some adhesive behind your mirror to hold it up. You can see my backsplash of cultured marble comes up to this point. The molding will rest right on top of this.

IMG_3953

You’ll end up with 4 pieces of molding and 4 corner blocks like this. This is the black set.

IMG_3954

And this is the brown set. You will want to paint both front and back and ends of the molding pieces.

IMG_3961

Now, here’s the bathroom I started in and started out using Liquid Nails with tape added to hold it down. That was a disaster as I said, because some of the “real” wood was bowed and didn’t want to stay down very well. I left it overnight to dry and Liquid Nails takes quite a while to completely dry, so parts of it were coming up. So, I resorted to my hot glue gun on those pieces and it worked like a charm. Should have done that to begin with, but I learned a new lesson on that. Now, just let me tell you this, once you put that hot glue on BE SURE that you get the molding exactly in place the first time. It dries in about 5 seconds and YOU WILL NOT be able to get that piece back off. I learned that the hard way too, after I put in that bottom piece and didn’t have it set exactly right. I had to practically get a crowbar to get that thing off the mirror. It was stuck SO hard on there, so that will tell you that this stuff is not going to come off with the glue gun adhesion. Trust me on that! IMG_0715































Here’s the BEFORE of the downstairs mirror. Plain ole’ mirror. Wall color in here is Benjamin Moore Wedgewood Gray. Took me 3 tries to get this exactly the way I wanted it. I love this color! It's not quite as gray as it looks in these pics. It's a soft blue with a touch of aqua.

IMG_3982

Doesn’t that look completely better? I think so. IMG_3976

Closeup of the corner piece. IMG_3963





































If you end up with a small gap, all you have to do is add a little caulk in there, let it dry & touch up with paint.

IMG_3977

This one has a few blemishes & if I had it to do over, I would NOT have used the real wood on this. So take that as a lesson. Use the lightweight white primed stuff. Much easier. This pic looks like there are little specks all over, but it’s really not. You can see a little spot of Liquid Nails that shows through on the edge in the mirror peeking out from behind, but since I’m not a perfectionist, I can live with this. If you’re careful and paint the backside of your molding the same color AND you don’t spread too much hot glue, you won’t see any of that.

IMG_3978

Another shot of the new molding. And while we’re at it, I’ll show you more of this bathroom, which many of you have already seen, but I have a LOT of new readers now who may not have seen it all.

IMG_3979

Here’s my yardsale shelf that I painted black to hold all the pretties in here. This bathroom is right next to the new blue guestroom. IMG_3980



































Someone asked about the side view of the mirror. Here’s what that looks like. You can see blue paint on the edge of the mirror from when I painted the room, but other than that, it looks fine from the edge. I’m actually going to take a small brush and go over that mirror edge with my black paint & it will disappear.

IMG_3983

Molding closeup. I went back to Stray Cats on Friday and they had the cutest beadboard hook board just the perfect size for my bathroom, so I picked this one up for $32. I love this little thing, so cute and vintagey. I had to add these pics in too.

IMG_4040


IMG_4044

I’m playing around with my accessories in here, so some of that will probably change later. IMG_4042

Don’t you love it?

IMG_4043

So, now we move upstairs to the gold bathroom.

IMG_3956

Here’s the before of my upstairs bathroom. I’ve showed you this before, but I did a few more pics today since I have my newer camera. The wall color in here is Sherwin Williams Camelback, one shade darker than my Whole Wheat most everywhere else upstairs. That’s my $10 light fixture I found at a yardsale (still brand new in the box). Not exactly what I would have picked out at the store, but it was sure better than the Hollywood light that was up there before. I’ll change that out again one day to something a little less tropical, but I’ve enjoyed it for a couple of years now.

IMG_3972

Another lesson learned is to start with the bottom of the mirror to put the first pieces up. Figured that out after I started, so YOU get to do it right. That's because you have more wiggle room at the top of the mirror than you do at the bottom. Make sense now?

IMG_3986

Here’s the whole bathroom.

IMG_3987

Doesn’t it look SO much better all framed out? I love it. This is the Turret Stair color.

IMG_3988

And I’ve got lots of leopard print in this bathroom.

IMG_3989

As well as black iron.

IMG_3991

My mom made my black floral shower curtain topper and window treatment several years ago and they still work, so I haven’t changed them out.

IMG_3993

Small iron bakers rack in the tub space with hubby’s reading material. :)

IMG_3994

A couple of yardsale vintage prints on the wall.
IMG_3995

And back to the sink side with the new mirror. I just love it!

IMG_3997


IMG_3999

Yardsale shelf with mostly yardsale items on here. I’ve got a couple of palm tree things in here, but I’m not really going for all out tropical and I'll be changing out some of this stuff one day. I'd like to do a little spruce up in here now that the mirror's framed.

IMG_4000

Closeup of the molding.

IMG_4002

And here’s the vanity that I painted right after we moved in here. This was white laminate and I primed and painted it with 2 coats of Turret Stair. Look how purdy it looks now with the matching mirror. Whoohooo!

So, I’ll outline all the steps here for you to use when you try this at home:


  • Buy the lightweight white preprimed molding and corner pieces. You’ll be glad you did.
  • Check to see if your clips are holding up your mirror. If they are not, you can safely take them down. If they are, add some Liquid Nails behind your mirror to adhere it to the wall , let it dry at least 24 hours, and THEN take those clips off.
  • Measure your molding pieces before you paint. You’ll just need to measure your mirror EXACTLY from side to side & top to bottom to get the dimensions. Subtract the corner piece measurement from that total and you’ll see how long to cut the wood piece. My corner pieces were 3 1/2” wide x 2, so I subtracted 7” from the total measurement to see how long to cut my 2 top pieces and 2 side pieces. Are you with me on this? It’s simple math and I’m not a math whiz. So, cut your 2 top pieces and 2 side pieces and get them ready to paint.
  • Paint all the molding and rosettes first, including the backs, sides and ends.
  • Start at the bottom of the mirror and add the first corner piece. Just line it up exactly with the corner of the mirror so it is all flush. Get your glue gun ready, shoot the glue & get it into place FAST. It dries really fast!
  • Add the long piece next side to side, just don’t get too much in a hurry, make sure you line up your molding and have it ready to put into place immediately.
  • Add the next corner piece. You’ll have a little bit of give in your measuring if you start at the bottom, go across and then go UP.
  • Add the 2 long side pieces next.
  • Add one rosette at the top, then the next long piece, and finally finish off with the last rosette at the top. You should be able to get most of them all lined up and may not even need to caulk. If you do, that’s not a problem at all either. You may have a few spots that need touching up with paint, so do that last.

So, that’s it! Hope you can follow all these directions and using the hot glue gun is really fast and easy, you just have to be a little careful with slapping those things into place too fast. Cost on this is very reasonable. I used 2 fluted molding pieces at $10 each and 4 each rosettes at about $3 each, so that’s about $32 total plus tax. Great cost for a low-budget makeover and not having to take down those huge mirrors.

I’d love to know if you are doing this, so please come back and show me YOUR finished mirrors! Once you do one, you’ll be hooked!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

151 friends stopped by:

ugagirl30 said...

They look amazing. It makes me wish that I had big mirrors like that so I could frame them.

ksarra said...

The transformation is amazing! Your home is pure perfection, love all the vignettes!

Terry said...

Both bathrooms are beautiful. Looks like my DH is going to have a project or two now because both of our bathrooms have those boring mirrors.

Stacey said...

Luckily, our builder framed all of our bathroom mirrors. However I have one bathroom (teenage boys) that desperately needs some revamping. You have definitely inspired me. Thanks!

Chaos Cottage said...

Rhoda, I can't thank you enough for this info. I have those same mirrors in my house and those dad blame hollywood lights! Three to be exact! I have shown this to dh and we can't wait to get to this. Sharing all your tips will help us tremendously!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Pam

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to do something with our bathroom mirrors for a long time. I've seen kits to frame the mirrors but they're really expensive. I think I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks for the instructions.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The mirrors look beautiful, and the detailed instructions are just perfect. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

Becky K. said...

I need to do this! We have those awful clips.
Thanks for the tutorial!

Your projects are beautiful.

Terri Steffes said...

I am going to try this in Ashley's, err, the guest bathroom. The plain mirror in there is crying out for some detail!

Anonymous said...

I might give this a try on the smaller bathroom mirror at the lake, to "practice", before tackling the big mirror.

I love the hook board you picked up. I'd love to have one of those for our bathroom at the lake. It would be the perfect solution for towels and work well with the style of that bathroom. Hmmmm, ya got me thinkin' here!

Nantucket Karen said...

The light "tiffany box" blue and the black look absolutely AMAZING together; love it with the sooo pretty black scroll shelf and mirror!! Great Post:)

Missy Wertz said...

Rhoda, I love it! It really added an extra element that changed the whole room. Beautiful!

Denise said...

You ARE Good! That is just awesome. Your ideas are always so stunning and inexpensive. Thank you for all the wonderful decorating ideas!

southerninspiration said...

Now, the whole blog world is going to have gorgeous framed out mirrors thanks to your easy instructions....so the glue gun works well even on the mirror surface?? I would think since it's kind of slick that it might pull right off....hmmmm. Thanks so much. I am def. going to do this on my downstairs bathroom!!!

Suzanne

Runner Mom said...

Thanks so much for all of the details and advice on the molding! Great idea and the finished product is awesome!

How did your shopping go on Saturday?

Hugs,
Susan

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Great project. I so wish I had the ambition that you do. Your instructions make it sound so tempting that I might just give it a try.
Hugs,
Sue

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Nice job Rhoda...love that little towel hook made out of old moulding!

Beth at Aunties said...

LOVE the way this project turned out! Both of the bathrooms look great.
I have been waiting to see what the finished project looked like and it is very beautiful! Big difference.
Thanks Rhoda, for all the instructions and sharing it with us. I like Pat, really like your towel holder:-) Thanks again and enjoy your week.

♥♥♥

Twice as Nice said...

LOVE IT!! What a difference it makes.
My question is, what brand of paint did you use for the vanity? Is it such a dark brown that it almost looks black? Did you give it a distressed look? I'm going to be painting atleast one of my vanities this spring and I like the color of yours.

Anonymous said...

I love it, came out great Rhoda.

Julia over @ Hooked on Housed did a post on this awhile back.

I think the lightweight stuff is called MDF....FYI

GREAT post,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

oppps should say Hooked on Houses

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Wow - you have been one busy lady, my friend. They all look amazing!! Can't wait...4 days...remember, you promised you don't snore. :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!
I just shared (quickly) on my blog about my hubby trimming out our mirror.. boy you two would make the best team with your crafty expertise!! I LOVE what you did Rhoda - absolutely love it.. you are so talented! I'm going to go back to my post and add a link to this so that my readers can see how you did it and drool too.
Love you,
Kim

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous transformations! Thanks for the tips...we're recycling a huge mirror that was above our fireplace for our mudroom and plan on framing it. You're advice will come in handy! :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

So glad ya'll are liking it too! So much better than plain mirrors, don't know why it's taken me 3 years to get this done. Now I'm moving on to the DR!

Kathy, that stuff might be called MDF, but the MDF I've worked with before is very heavy (since it is composite wood). This molding feels almost like foam in a way, so whatever it's made of, it's much lighter than wood & stays up there so easy.

The paint I used on the vanity is Ralph Lauren Turret Stair (found at HOme Depot), I did have that in my post!

Simplicity Cottage said...

Rhoda, love BOTH your bathrooms! They looked lovely before you did the frames. They are STUNNING now...it's funny how something as simple as a frame around a mirror can make a world of difference!

I found you through Kim at Daisy Cottage. So happy she put a link in her blog to yours. I am following you now and will visit often!

Love your blog...

xx ~ Donna

Screaming Meme said...

I will try this soon! Thank you, My Lady! :) Great job! :) Meme

julie & joe said...

I love the mirrors. The beadboard hook is so cute. I have some beadboard scraps, I may need to try that for little guys bathroom.

Crystal said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to re-do my bathrooms - today! :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I've been mulling on how to do this to our kids bathroom and the easy instructions make it foolproof! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the "how to" on this project. I love your bathrooms..they turned out great!!

{{Hugs}}

Cathy

Anonymous said...

I love the frame mirror idea. I've done this before in my house, but we used wood & it gave us trouble last time. I'm so excited to try the lightweight stuff, maybe that will help with the bowing. My husband whittled down the backside of the molding to help cover the mirror clips. Don't know if that works with the lightweight stuff though. Love your site.

AndreaLeigh said...

wow, I love what you did! how hard do you think this would be to undo? Since we are planning on selling in two years, I always have to think in terms of projects that could be undone for resale value.

Joanna said...

What a world of a difference the framing makes. Also thanks for sharing the how to...We are going to paint some chalk board paint on our door in the kitchen. I didn't want a "plain" frame around it and this is easy and looks great!

Molly - Paris Market said...

Hi there-

I love your informative and chic blog. I gave you an award from my blog - http://parismarket.typepad.com/
Stop by and pick up your award and pass the award on to 3-5 more blogs. Have a great week. Molly

KM Studios said...

simply amazing! Wonderful mirror class Rhoda!!!
And that small bakers rack; I never would have thought to put one in a bathroom but it looks perfect!
Your so clever.
thanks for a really great post!!!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to read this post ... I have been waiting for you to finish your project and give us the 411. I am dying to do ours next!! Thanks so much for the detailed explanations. You rock!!

Anonymous said...

Framing out the mirror really makes a huge difference! They both look so much nicer! That first bathroom is so cute - love that blue and the beadboard hook thingey is so cute!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Your mirrors look awesome! I love both of your bathrooms! You have given me more ideas for my bathroom. Thanks!!!

Wendy said...

Thank you for the directions! I have been wanting to do this for awhile. Maybe I will get my butt in gear and just do it!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Awesome project! I hate those builder basic mirrors and this is so perfect for that. What a transformation!

~Amanda

savvycityfarmer said...

Aren't ya glad we can buy all those trim pieces in the bulk?
When there's a sale I buy the entire lot!!!!
These look great, dear.

Peek in at the kitchen makeover...I think you'll love it.

Unknown said...

As always, it looks beautiful. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Sara F. said...

It's funny how something so simple can have such a big impact. Thank you so much for sharing the step-by-step!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

They look great. Thank you so much for the step by step. I've been thinking about this project for the kids bath. I may need to go for it!
~Michelle

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Both of our bathroom mirrors are big like that. You did such a great job! I am going to have to do something similar with our's.

And happy anniversary! Two years of blogging is great!

Have a wonderful week!

Michelle said...

Rhoda, I've been planning (in my mind) a bathroom update (painting tile, framing mirrors, painting cabinets, removing wallpaper and painting walls). Thanks for the detailed explanation. It'll definitely come in handy for when I do our bathrooms.

Mandy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been wanting to frame our big plain mirrors, but I couldn't find any easy enough directions for me to understand! So glad I ran across your blog!

Mandy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks again, girls! I'm so glad many of you are inspired to try this yourself. I went back by Lowes & the primed molding is called MDF, so just look for all the white molding in one section. It's much easier to work with than real wood is. I do think those corner pieces are made out of some sort of heavy foam, they are very lightweight.

Molly, when I click on your name, I can't see your profile to find your blog!

Bo said...

Thank you Ms. Rhoda for spelling it out in 1-2-3 type easy steps. I think clip on mirrors & popcorn ceilings should be outlawed by builders! I sure want to do this!
;-) Bo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, this looks great! I love them! Thanks for the tutorial. I might try this in our bathroom. I might have a complication, but it can be overcome.

Sitting here listening to the rain we so desperately need!

Sending much love your way...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Janelle said...

Rhonda, I appreciate this oh-so-timely inspiration...we are starting our (very simple) guest bath re-do and we have one of those giant mirrors. Got one in the master bath, too, but that's a re-do for another time.

I'm painting the old vanity white, putting in a new floor and sink-top, and painting the walls sage green. A framed mirror would be the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for your awesome bathroom photos, they have been really helpful!

Jennifer Crawley said...

Thanks so much!! I happened to stumble upon your blog today and I was so excited! I've been wanting to do this to my mirrors for months! I found a website mirrormate.com, but didn't want to spend the money. Thanks for the easy directions. I may do it this weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for this tutorial and lots of pictures! I told my husband about this when you first posted your GA bathroom. He looked at me like I was crazy, but after I show him this I think he'll be on board. Let's hope so!! Yours are beautiful :)

-Hayley

Familjen Stålnacke said...

I'm all ooo's and aww's over here, your bathrooms are SO, SO gorgeous! I love how you have added those black details! I'm actually trying to incorporate more black details into our bathrooms too, so you've just sent my head spinning with inspiration... wooo :-)

Huggles,
Susanne

duchess said...

Such a great & do-able project. Thanks for the tutorial.
One question...you can actually paint the laminate cabinets??

Amanda said...

wow! what a smart a talented woman you are. the framing totally makes the bathrooms. great job!

Anonymous said...

Ok...Im so in love with this post! Just when I thought you could never top that awesome laundry room..you gave us this post. Now I have two favorites I must file in my wanna do's....You just made me love you even more, smile! Cant wait till we can all get together and have some real fun! That town will never be the same. Did you know that they are having an antique and garden show the same time? I think my sister and I may stay an extra day...for shopping reasons..you know~

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Love it!! Love the pop of black! Elegant looking!

Montee said...

I have really been wanting to do this. Thanks for all of the steps on how-to!

Jessica said...

I am so in love with this idea! I need to do this at my house. Thanks for teaching me how.

Tamara Jansen said...

That's a great and easy fix! Thanks for the tips. I'll have to let my peeps know that I want that in the men's and women's bathrooms at the greenhouse :)

Unknown said...

Rhoda! I think they turned out great!!! I'm going to do this. Thanks for the step by step.

~Liz

If you get a chance...stop by my blog. I'm doing a giveaway. : )

Natalie said...

That looks FANTASTIC!!!! You should be very proud! I'd like to do this to frame out some windows that need some extra PUNCH!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Wow, I am impressed with all the work that you do. Beautiful!

Kristen said...

What a different the fram makes?!? Both bathrooms are wonderful - my favorite is the blue. Excellent job, can't wait to see more wonderful ideas from you!

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Love the framed mirrors! If mine was a simple mirror, I would definitely do it! And actually, that helps with a future project because the previous homeowners left a gigantic mirror that has a chip in one side. So now I can do this and hang it up somewhere! :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm cooler than I thought... We did this in the kids bathroom a few years ago, but with white trim. We LOVE the way it turned out and we did just use liquid nails to put it on the mirror. To me, it looks great.

We also have hideous white laminate cabinets. What type primer did you use and what finish paint did you use to paint the cabinet? I would LOVE to do this in my bathroom. You rock!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Ladies, I'll do another post on painting laminate cabinets, since many of you want to do that too. Stay tuned for a later post!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I loved your bathroom before, but this is just stunning! I had no idea there was a way to avoid those ugly clips. Thanks so much for the step by step tutorial, it makes it sooo much easier for me to try new things!!!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Great job Rhoda! You make it look so easy, even this Lazy Mom thinks she can do it! I love it!
http://www.lazymoms.com

rustycupboard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rustycupboard said...

I really enjoyed reading this. very thorough. thanks

randee said...

rhoda, wow! just the "eye candy" i needed today. they really look like a million bucks(& so do the bathrooms!).

this goes on my mile long "would ever so much like to do" list.

thanks so much for caring enough to share.

blessings -

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

WOW! This is amazing, what talent you have! Cindy

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is the best idea for framing mirrors, and I love the crisp look of the black. Wonderful! Linda

Anonymous said...

I have been anxiously awaiting this post! I'm saving it in my favorites to do this summer. Thank you for sharing this, I can't tell you how excited I am to do it myself!

I'll do both of my bathrooms too. The hardest part looks like it will be choosing the color to paint it.

Chris Kauffman said...

So easy isn't it . If the edges bother you , you can use caulking and apply a nice clean line using painters tape and paint it black , works like a charm.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Well bless your little southern heart Rhoda!!!! I thought I'd have to use my garage sale router purchased this fall and notch out the back of my molding. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. This project is on my list to finish soon.

Happy February!!

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

wow this is one of my fave projects of yours, I went round the cottage looking for a mirror like that, I hope to have a go in my family bathroom, but I'm not too good with tools lol!

Sarah

redsoxmom said...

I am definitely going to try this technique in either my kid's bathroom or the powder room!! Love it!!! Thanks for sharing--now I finally know HOW to do this. Who-hoo!!
Blessings,
Linda

Chris said...

Rhoda, you should win an award for this post! I can't tell you how long I've waited for someone to give a detailed tutorial on how to do this! Thank you! They both turned out just beautifully! I love them!

Julie said...

Those turned out great! They make a huge difference, and your bathrooms look fabulous!

Cyndy said...

Rhoda,
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. After you had posted the moldings earlier with what you had planned on doing with them, I decided I wanted to try this. I went to Lowes's this past weekend and the corner pieces were wider than the molding. My mirror goes all the way to the wall and sits on a marble backsplash. Do you think I'll be able to do even though the corner pieces are wider? Your corner pieces look to be the same width. I hope I made my question clear. LOL!
Thanks again for all your tips!

LuLu said...

Your mirrors look fantastic. I want to do this, your step by step instructions is wonderful! so sweet of you to share.
xo,
LuLu

Tara said...

I am so excited about your post---even I could do this, and I have the same "boring" mirror...yours looks excellent now!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
The mirrors look wonderful! Especially the one with painted to match the cabinet. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions!

brnidtica said...

I've been a lurking your blog for a while now. First time I've commented. Thanks for the WONDERFUL tutorial and inspiration!!! I LOVE what you've done......I MUST do my bathrooms!! I can't believe what a DIFFERENCE it makes!!
Gretchen

The Willow Rose said...

I love your mirrors they look great. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Glenda said...

So now I know what to do with my big mirrors in my bathroom.

Thanks for giving the steps. The big mirrors from the 80's are not attractive.

Ciao

Dream Mom said...

Great job!

This is my first visit to your blog. I found it via the "My Romantic Home" blog. I knew with a name like "Southern Hospitality" that I was going to like your blog. I am a midwest girl but I think secretly I am a southern girl at heart. I love all of the southern home designs and touches.

I enjoyed seeing pictures of your home and your wonderful projects. Thank you for sharing those tips with us. I love the green in your office photos-I am a huge green fan as well, even before it became really popular.

Sharon said...

Brilliant!!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda

Both mirrors look so much better with your wonderful frames added. You go girl!

I haven't been by in a few days so it's been fun catching up. Happy second birthday! The next time I come to Birmingham, you must take me to Stray Cats and let's do lunch at Whistlestop with Sandi.

Hugs!
Kat

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I LOVE the look. It completley changes the room! WOW!

. said...

Well, I'm inspired more than ever. I have been wanting to do this in 2 of my bathrooms as well. Thank you for all the helpful tips! Once I get the bathrooms painted I'll get the moldings on the mirrors. Thanks again!

Cindy said...

I have a frameless mirror in my upstairs bathroom and I've been wanting to do this! Thank you!!! Yours look great!!!

Connie said...

Ok Rhoda...you've just got me in the mood to do that to my large mirrors in two of my bathrooms. I will let ya know if I do it. I'm gonna try! Yours look great and it was so easy. I think I will paint my white cabinets too! Love you girls that love to decorate, you give me ideas I can copy! Connie

MarthaYvette said...

wow that looks awesome, I have four bathrooms with large mirrors like that,,,,,I love this..I need to try it :)

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Rhoda,
This is fabu! I love it and can't wait to copy your great idea! Your bathrooms are beautiful!

Sharon said...

They look fabulous! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's fantastic! I have needed to do that to our mirror.... for 23 years now! I kept thinking that we would take it down, but I can tell you that it's not coming off of that wall unless it's in shards... Thanks so much for showing what an easy project this can be, and now my mirror won't be in a landfill in a jillion pieces.

Sandi McBride said...

Okay Rhoda, now you really know how to dress a bathroom! I've been contemplating taking out the double sink vanity and the huge mirror and replacing it with a pretty little one sink vanity I found at Lowes, getting rid of the huge mirror (can you say wall to wall? Who wants that clear a vision of oneself in the wee hours of the morning...I have considered covering it with a blanket and telling everyone I'm sitting Shiva for my former self). I'll let you know how it turns out, because after seeing the glam bathroom you've turned out, it makes it imperative I get started!
hugs
Sandi

Decor To Adore said...

I am definitely going to try this!

niartist said...

Great job Rhoda! I'm constantly impressed by what you do - and that little multi-colored beadboard hook is calling my name! :)

Kristen said...

You did such a nice job - it looks terrific!

carrie said...

I love the blue with black accents! I've been looking around to try to find blue and black together...I just painted my room blue and wanted to use all of the black accents I already have. It looks great together! Thanks for the inspiration!

cotedetexas said...

Amazing! they look so beautiful, not sure which bathroom I like more. I'll go with the blue, that's my favorite color. You make this look so simple, that I want to try it tonight!!!

And Happy 2nd Birthday - you must be about 4 or 5 months older than me.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, YAY...I love this project!! If only the frame could also get rid of the "Broadway starlet strip o' light bulbs" (you know those ugly light fixtures of which I speak!) above my mirror, too. :-) But that loo is in our rental, so I think we're stuck with it. Alas.

Your bathrooms are lovely...I wouldn't mind being trapped in one they're so nice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for such a heart-warming comment. I never imagined I would meet such nice people when I entered blog land a few months ago. Your words were very much appreciated.

Love the bathroom makeover. The mirror looks great. You have a talent.

Sarah said...

I love the blue bathroom! The mirror frames are fabulous! Totally inspired me! I have been wanting something newer than the standard mirror they put in when building!
Maybe I can get your advice. I have a creamy yellow bathroom with black, silver, white things and multi-plaid shower curtain with red rug on a wood vinyl floor. Hmm...???

Lori said...

I have one word for your project. . . .GORGEOUS!! I love it!!

becky said...

Both bathrooms are just perfect! I have been wanting to do a frame around my mirror for ages, but I have an outlet right on the mirror...anyway, maybe I'll figure it out one of these days! You know, Rhoda, I really appreciate you! You are always doing these wonderful projects, and you take the time to share your fabulous ideas with the rest of us! Thank You!

Picket said...

Rhoda that is the exact thing I told Bill I wanted to do to our bathroom mirror....they turned out great...thanks so much for posting this and for all the step by step & tips...I am definitely doing this!

Becky said...

Looks FABULOUS Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job Rhoda! Great instructions as well:) Your bathrooms look so pretty, your hard work has paid off!

Busy Little Quilter said...

I showed these to my husband. He already has everything, so we're set and ready to go! I'm excited!!! Thanks for sharing!

sparkled*life said...

Note to all builders **please put frames around those mirrors guys**! I did this same thing for my girl friend not to long back! It is amazing what a little paint and trim and do for a mirror ;)

Blessings on you!

kahlanne said...

I am so happy that you posted this! It couldn't have come at a better time. I told dh yesterday I was going to email you to get directions on your mirror trim and now I don't need to. I painted my vanity this weekend, barn red, and added the hardware yesterday. I am replacing the top with granite so the mirror trimming should wait until it is installed. Gotta choose the granite today or tomorrow. I removed the big mirror in our hall bath and didn't want to do this in our master so this is perfect idea. You also helped me in another way. I wasn't sure what color to paint the mirror trim. I was thinking to match the vanity but thought that might not look right but your black/brown looks fab. Thanks so much

Erica Shurter said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing, we are in the middle of a bathroom re-modle! great ideas, thanks! :)

Kathysue said...

Rhoda,what a great post,this is something many will be doing for sure.Great tutorial as always,Have fun at Blissdom,Kathysue

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Rhoda. You have inspired me! You can do anything. Love your blog.

Elizabeth H

Orange Peanut said...

Can I use your bathroom? So cute! I love them. I also love your blog - I've been a fly on the wall for about a year. Thanks for all of your great posts!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhoda~ You know I was just fixing to head over and ask where you have been, (thinking that I was following you) and that you haven't posted in so long, and then I figured out that I am a total goofball, and am not a follower! Shame on me... you've already done the mirror post and I was waiting on it to jump onto my dashboard! Crazy me... Anyway, love the mirror tutorial! I want to find some moulding just a bit beefier, but I love what you have done. I like everything big and heavy! Can't wait to try mine. So are you saying to not use the Liquid Nails at all, go glue gun all the way???
~Misti

Helen said...

You should be drawing a salary for all of the great educating you are doing ... many, many thanks!

Leigh Ann said...

I have the big mirrors, but the light fixtures are in the mirror. i.e. They are the bar lights as in a dressing room which have been mounted into the actual mirror itself. Do you think this will still look o-kay?
I LOVE this idea.

Steph said...

I think I might just try this in the kid's bathroom!
Thanks for the instructions!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks FANTASTIC. I predict that a lot of people are going to frame out their bathrooms mirrors. I'd love to do this, but my main bathroom is in a garret and the mirror is built-in and triangular, but I am certainly going to keep this in the mind for the future and print out these wonderful instructions. Beautiful job, Rhoda! You are such an inspiration.

SoBella Creations said...

The mirror looks amazing. Love the blue color of the bathroom.

Heathahlee said...

So THIS is the post we were discussing Friday night in y'all's room! I LOVE it! I have a huge mirror in my master bathroom that has needed molding around it for years and I've been too afraid to do anything with it because I didn't want to mess anything up! This, I can do.

I so enjoyed getting to know you a little this weekend. I can't wait till next year! I'll actually go to the conference then! : )

Jennifer Crawley said...

well, i tried this over the weekend. my glue gun didn't keep all the pieces on the mirror -- but i think i know the problem. i think i sold my big glue gun in a yard sale, so i only had my mini one. it didn't get the pieces hot enough and they weren't long enough either. so i'm going to try it again over the weekend. however, that being said ... i defintely like the look! thanks for the directions!

Kacey said...

LOVE this idea! I meant to comment when I originally saw this post, but didn't manage to. Just wanted to come back to say thanks - and let you know my husband framed all three of our bathroom mirrors this weekend. They look great!

Susie Q said...

It's just gorgeous. I am wishing we had larger mirrors, but we have medicine cabinets with decent mirrors on them...and since we rent...not doing much.

Now, are you using a matte, semi-gloss or high gloss black? I took the leap week before last and painted a small bookcase with a high gloss black. It goes into the loft to hold videos and the game cube. I have to find more storage for videos upstairs and downstairs. I do have a little wicker table that belonged to my grandmother...in the midst of being painted black also...it'll be in the loft also. Question is, do I use high, semi gloss or matte black? Older sister thinks I should use matte, I'm leaning more towards a semi or high gloss. She forgets that I still have 3 kids at home and need to be able to clean up. I figure I can always put a matte finish on it later.

What do YOU think?

pcb said...

I have been trying to figure out how to do this on our giant mirror...can't afford to take it down and buy new, but I CAN do this. Thanks for such specific instructions.

punkinmama said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been wanting to frame my bathroom mirrors for forever! Your post will be a huge help! Thanks for the detailed information!

Your mirrors look GREAT!

trina said...

Thank you so much! The mirrors turned out great. I've been looking for a safari looking mirror for the baby boys' room so maybe I could create something like this for them. I'm excited!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am going to try this very soon! I would love more information on how you primed and painted the laminate cabinets. Any special tips on doing that?

Jennifer Crawley said...

Okay, I'm frustrated!! I've done this twice now, and both times after a few days, the molding fell off the mirror. The rosette pieces are still firmly in place, but the longer pieces fell off. What do you think is the solution?! I guess I may have to resort to liquid nails, but i was really loving the easy and quick aspect of the glue gun!!

Satchell said...

Thank you for sharing this! A friend told me a while back that I should do this instead of changing out our HUGE bathroom mirror and you gave me the courage to do so. However, I would like to share that hot glue won't hold the fake wood. I just did my mirror last week. The good news is that gorilla glue did the trick. The hot glue worked wonders on the corner pieces I used, since they were real wood. Thanks again for sharing!

Kortnei said...

Hello,

I just read through all 138 of your comments hoping that my question was already answered (lol) but I couldn't find anything on the topic. How would you have completed this project if you had a medicine cabinet to the left of your mirror? I'm afraid that if I add the molding to the main mirror and leave the medicine cabinet as is, it will look funny. Any suggestions?

Great post!

Hyrum and Elsie said...

Amazing decoration! I will make sure and check out your blog often! Thanks for the ideas! I'm gonna go and do the same to my bathrooms, get rid of those ugly, huge, and boring mirrors!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Love this post. I think every one who has builder mirrors has wanted to do this. So thank you for the great post!!!

Frances said...

how did you paint your vanity? did you do the inside of the doors? I have a white marble counter and a big ugly mirror and am thinking about doing this same type of thing to my bathroom. I love the black cabinets. How did you do it? Please share! fnegbert (@) gmail.com

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love this idea. I like the way that you gave the before/after pix so that we can view the difference that the molding makes. Just showed my DH and we are planning to do this project in our bathrooms! Thanks!

Amy said...

Thank you for this great tutorial! We've got the same set up as you- 2 bathrooms with 2 giant ugly mirrors! Have been trying to decide what to do with them- this is perfect! Thank you, and thanks to Tip Junkie for the link!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Hi, I am am new to your post, in fact new to all of the wonderful blogs that I have found! Where have I been? I think I was up all night since I discovered yours!! I was just thinking about my awful, plain bathroom mirror a day ago and could not believe that I found this idea of yours! I had an idea, but the hubby will see how it is possible and how worthwhile it will be! Thanks! May I send you a pic to help me out on color?
I will again be up all night reading right here!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I will totally do this at my house. Thanks for the Tutorial. I linked to it!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you all for stopping by from Tip Junkie! Nice to meet you & I hope you'll stick around for a lot of fun projects.

Nan, you can definitely ask me about your mirror color, I'd be glad to help! Make yourself at home & thanks for following.

Anonymous said...

I did this to my bathroom and my pieces just all fell down. What kind of glue gun do you have? Maybe mine isn't good enough. Thanks.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Anon & others,

I've heard from a couple of you who had trouble with the hot glue gun sticking. I'm not sure what the problem is with yours, as mine worked fine. Is your glue gun a larger one with large sticks. That's what I have & would suggest that. Mine is a HOT temp glue gun too. I had no problem at all with gluing the MDF to my mirrors, but did have a bit of a problem with the REAL wood, that's why I'd recommend using MDF only.

If you do have a problem with the hot glue gun, I'd tell you to scrape it off & use Liquid Nails for small projects. It comes in a small tube & is very sticky. If you press it down with the glue & use blue painters tape to hold it in place til dry, it should hold just fine. Either method will work!

Ann said...

I posted on April 19, 2009 5:01 PM, and had the problem with the boards falling off. I went to Lowe's and got a good glue gun , the kind that takes the longer sticks and voila it's staying up.

Nepperess said...

Incredible change. I love it! Great idea Rhoda!