Monday, February 16, 2009

Wainscoting and DIYing it

After seeing many bloggers around blogland doing their own moldings and trim, I’ve really been inspired to try it myself. There are three in particular who I’ve been following around, checking out their projects of wainscoting and beadboard, as they beautify their homes with moldings. So, I figured if they can do it, I can too! With only a trusty mitre box right now, that will have to suffice for cutting those angles, but it works, so that’s what I will do. You can bet if I find a power mitre saw at a yardsale this year, I’ll be bringing it home. Go and take a look at Layla’s projects, as well as Just Beachy, and Thrifty Decor Chick. All these girls know how to beef up their homes with molding. And what a difference it makes!

Elite beadboard wainscott

Just Beachy shared her favorite online source for wainscoting at Elite Trimworks. This pic came from their website. Don’t you just love, love this?!

Simple%20Wainscotting

I found this at another source, but can’t remember where. This is what I’m doing in my dining room, since I thought picture frame molding would be the simplest to start with.

16-Wainscotting

Another online example. What a difference moldings can make. I have a feeling I’ll be doing more of this around my house. I’ve been walking around the house to see where else I can squeeze in some moldings, namely a little beadboard. I think the master bathroom might be a good spot.

Wainscot

Another example of paneled molding. I love this too.

IMG_4107

So, here’s my humble start with picture frame molding. I started out using nails, but found out that it works better to just glue it up, so I’ll use Liquid Nails for that. Measuring is the hardest part. Just be sure to keep it level all the way around. I’m cutting one set of molding and then I’ll use it for a template for the rest, so they will all be the same. I drew out my squares ahead of time with a pencil, so I could make sure they were all the same. Takes a little bit of math, but I didn’t even have to ask my hubby for help (the math genius!). I measured down from the chair rail 4 1/2” and did the same from the bottom molding. And I am using 5” in between my squares on the large wall. Once I get all the molding cut (which hubby is helping me with), it should go fast from there. Then paint the molding and the walls and I’ll be done.

IMG_4108

Here’s a sneak peek of the wall color I’m using. And I didn’t even have to buy the paint. Grandma had bought 2 gallons of paint from Lowes several months ago for her little house (remember the paint fiasco and me taking her back to Lowes to tweak it?) and we ended up letting the painter pick a neutral color for her house, so this paint was left over. And it works great for the neutral I wanted in here! YAY, don’t have to buy more.

Of course, you’ll all see it very soon!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

64 friends stopped by:

Stacey said...

Oh I can't wait to see! I'm busy this week too. It's so much fun. :)

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OMG Girl I can't wait to see this all done...what a vision you have..The picture frame molding is what I will be doing next month in my DR..of course I have to tear off wall paper first..Yuck!! what was I think in 1996 when I put that up ?? great post and thanks so much for sharing..I will be sure and put this in my save file..hope you have a great day..Did you do your Blogger lunce?? hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Free Art Printables said...

I love that! I am going to be doing the same thing in my eating area...

Cottage Lifestyle said...

I am so impressed.

Renee

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing as photo number 2 in our playroom. I painted the walls a pretty blue and I loved it! It's a nice way to spruce up a room! (My husband did all the work...he's handy like that!)
-Kim

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

All the pictures are just so gorgeous of the moldings. I just love the look. You are doing such a great job and I really like the style that you picked out. I can't wait to see the finished project. Hugs, Marty

The Blushing Hostess said...

Love it especially in a dining room. But I see alot of bead board around now in homes where it does not make sense, I don't care for it as much. Be well, The Hostess

Anonymous said...

Can I just tell you how darn tootin' excited I am to see you take on this project. I have had my eye on those walls for some time now. I have wanted to "dress" them up a bit and you ,my dear, are just the woman to show me how! This is one project I wont want to miss. I want to copycat you so bad on this sweet project...Oh yeah~
As soon as I get my "new look" on my blog it will have my contact info but for now you can reach me at susanh@eatel.net I cant wait to hear from ya,miss ya!

Runner Mom said...

I am impressed with your braveness! I am simply contemplating painting one wall a different shade than the others before hubby comes home for lunch today! It's your idea from that darling office nook! Keep your fingers crossed!

I love what you're doing...have fun!
Hugs!
Susan

Anonymous said...

It's going to be great Rhoda! The picture frame molding is what was used in our dining room. In the hearth room, baseboard was used to frame out the breakfast bar. It's like one of the photos you posted. I thought that was a great idea too and would love to do something like that here at the lake, somewhere! Yes, we're back at the lake for another week, doing a little bit of this and that here.

It seems the winter months are when we do most of our inside work. When warm weather arrives...out to the gardens it is!

Looking forward to seeing your dining room redo!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
You are brave. Not sure I would be able to tackle that project.

I recently visited a house where the owner added beautiful moldings to the top of doorways and windows. I would love to 'copy' her!

I may ask if I can take pics and do a post on it. You would love the way it looked.

Nicol said...

I love molding! We did a simple chair rail in the dining room and just finished bead board in my dd room. The Master bedroom is next with some wainscoting. It helps that my dh is very handy!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I've been working on some similar projects around my house, so I enjoyed this post! These are some beautiful examples. It really does make a difference in a room to have trims and moldings and bead board. I love it all. Can't wait to see how your project turns out!

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda, the wainscotting is going to look amazing in your dining room. I can't belileve you are going to do it yourself that is even more amazing to me.I have designs in my brain but there is no way I would attempt this. You are truly a multi-talented lady.Miss talking to you.Debbie put my pantry makeover on her blog this week if you have a chance come on by.It is not my dream pantry but it is clean and organized at least for awhile.I will have to do my someday pantry well,someday,I am so glad I can come here for a quick visit once in awhile since Micasa is closing in March.Can't wait to see the dining room all done. Hugs Kathysue

Arlynn said...

This is going to be the perfect treatment for your dining room - I just know it! And I'm so happy that you're detailing it for all of us... I just might have to do a bit of moulding work in my own interior ; )

Karla said...

Love the inspiration photos and can't wait to see how yours turns out! We recently did a makeover on our family room with all new wainscoting! Made all the difference and was totally worth it!

Good luck with your project!

~Karla

Joanna said...

Molding and such makes a room complete. There is just something about it. I can't wait to see it all finished!

Oh...by the way...I wanted to let you know that I will email you tonight...I have been sick with a cold on top of doing some work in our kitchen this weekend. I haven't had a chance to sit at the computer but just a couple of times to work on some codes.

Anonymous said...

Go slow and tell us everything!!!! I am dying to do this!

Twice as Nice said...

We are doing this in our foyer, dining room, bathroom and down our LONG hallway. Hubby has it started in the new dining room and foyer. I can't wait to start showing pictures. Half of the remodel is sheet rocked and we are getting ready for the other half. When that is done I will start posting pictures. We have A LOT of lighting going in through out the living room/kitcen/dining room and butlers pantry.
Can't wait to see your finished room!

Kimberly said...

You go, Rhoda girl! Can't wait to see the finished dining room.

Steph said...

That is going to be so pretty!

Heathahlee said...

Your home is so pretty, Rhoda. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

I'm so impressed! You are totally going to rock this project! Can't wait to see it all done!!!!

sandra/tx said...

Way to go, Rho. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Unknown said...

What a great idea, I can't wait to see the transformation! I would love to add some moulding to my house, need to get the hubby on board though.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Molding makes such a difference and we only have one room with it. With hubby having more time, we're going to have to get going on our to do list. :)

Sandi McBride said...

OH WOW Rhoda! Okay, now I know what I am going to be doing in my guest rooms and maybe even the living room...I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to "zoom" the look! Thank you thank you thank you!
hugs
Sandi

Anonymous said...

As with everything you do, your dining room is going to be fantastic! Looking forward to the finishing touches.

Tara said...

R

Good for you for going for it! Molding makes the room, hands down and many people do not put the time and effort into it! You are!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oooooo! Maybe you can come to my house when you're done. Since you'll be on a roll and all. ;-)

Cyndi said...

Hi Rhoda,I'm very impressed that you are doing something liket his by yourself,you go girl!
Cyndi

Susie Q said...

I adore beadboard, but not a chance at installing it..we rent and hubs said it would be too expensive. We'll see ;D

That said, I saw somepleace, maybe the Inspired room that she used the backside of the beaded board....a whole NEW idea...great.

Also, for fabric, saw a link recently to fabricguru.com...heaven.

Janelle said...

How very timely (again!)--I've had wainscoting on the brain very much lately. Got to get this bathroom done first, though! Thanks for the great pictures and links, that helps a lot!

Natalie said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I want to do this in our dining room SO bad. We have textured walls here in Florida though ... so not sure how that is going to work, but I'm sure I can figure out something!

Looking good so far!

Anonymous said...

I bet it is all going to look great when you are finished!

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda,I am sorry I did not even think you would not have Deb's blog address:Confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com ,She was so kind to offer to put my pantry on for met. monday she did a great job on the post.Hope you enjoy,I will definitely stay in touch I put myself among your many followers,I though I had already done that because you are in my favorites. Kathysue

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you liked the egg and feather prints, I sure had fun doing them with Nester.
Glad you said hi!

Rebecca Corvese said...

Good for you doing your own trim work! I think that it makes all the difference between a good house and a great house! Looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see your finished pics!

Unknown said...

Oh I have been thinking of doing this in my bedroom. I definitely will be following your progress and taking notes. What can't you do?

janet said...

oh love love love what you are doing, we plan to do something like this in our eating area, adds such character
thanks for sharing
hugs
janet

Chris Kauffman said...

Well that looks fantastic , you did a great job , and thank you for the nod , once you caulk all the corners and sink all the nails and fill them and paint ,wow I assure you it will look like a pro did it , I knew you would have NO trouble with it.
A big well done from me

Monkey Giggles said...

I can't wait to see how things turn out.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Rhoda you are on a roll! I am dying to do a tall farmhouse molding in the dining room with a deep orange paint color on top. I will check out that trim site for sure. And...I get to do all of the projects around my house too, my husband is there for moral support! Can't wait to see it finished.
~Misti

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Just what I've been wanting to do. Just had asked my future bro. in law the other day HOW to miter! He does this or has done this for a living so I asked him to show me how to do it. I have tried it in the past and my corners just WOULD NOT MATCH UP!
:( So I asked him would he show me how and he said yes. I already have the beadboard just about all through out our house. I have just about gotten it all painted now. It was the color of our stain in the house, a pecan. Anyway just a few minutes ago I got in our master bedroom taking down the ceiling fan blades and cover for the ceiling fan and taking off the vents up in the ceiling. I am going to start painting in there just as soon as I possible can. Hoping to get at it tomorrow after I get back from town! I am wayyyyy past ready to get that beachy bedroom finished that I have been TRYING to work on for months now. So I'll be painting once more as well. lol
LOVE what you are doing again!!!! I just LOVE the fact that you and I are so much alike when it comes to tackling things we really want. Remind me one day to tell you about the goldfish pond I dug myself! lol ;) I even have it on a website to!
Again way to go there lady!!!!!

Mary said...

Rhoda, I'm really impressed...the math part would be the killer for me. It's going to look fantastic and I can't wait to see the final result. You rock!!
(I love that first pic too!)

Pretty Organizer said...

I'm cracking up because we did the paneled moulding in our last house. My brother in law helped out and is an engineer. Did you know there is some earth shattering universal equation to figure equal distance and porportion of the size of the paneling and spacing between walls? Oh my word, the man spent the first 45 minutes calculating before he cut anything... the result? A PERFECTLY proportional and evenly spaced pannel project that I cried to leave!

Love the post Rhoda!
Pretty Organizer

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out! I'm trying to learn how to do more things on my own so I don't have to rely/wait for hubby. I agree that woodwork makes all the difference in a home.

Sheryl

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

You are so brave to do this on your own! You will love the outcome for sure. I love your bunny dish collection from your previous post. And your sweetie's Valentine dinner sounds absolutely delicious! How romantic! Those are the best meals to share aren't they!

Sandy said...

yay for Grandma coming thru - and awesome paint color! can't wait to see the results!

Allyson said...

Impressive! It's looking great already. I can't wait to see the finished project!

Glenda said...

Well just when I thought I was amazed by what you do, you amaze me again. You go girl. Get that up on the wall and show off your stuff.

Till next time,
Ciao

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

You know how to use a mitre saw?! I'm very impressed! I plan on doing this in my dining room, but with Rich's help so that I don't cut anything off (LOL). I just love the way it looks :)

Oh and I hope you weren't upset by what I wrote. I wasn't really aiming at anyone, especially not you! I was just voicing how all the rules seemed to be overtaking Blogland and I'm just doing this for fun. I hope you understand.

(((hugs)))
rue

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Rhoda, this is fantastic! You are doing a GREAT job! See, it's not that bad, right? Just a lot of patience...This is going to look wonderful! Thanks so much for mentioning me!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm considering doing wainscotting on my kitchen wall between my upper and lower cabinets (the backsplash).

Catherine said...

Opps, I posted before I was finished commenting. I'm thinking of adding a painting to the framed areas. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

at last I can comment on your blog, I don't know what is happening with my internet but it seems to crash with blogger!

anyway love the molding I'm off to look at those links, not sure if I have the talent to take that on

love the paint colour too

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Rhoda I so want to do this in our dining room so I anxiously await every detail you share with us. You have such a gorgeous home and you are such a creative woman that makes us all want to give it a try. Thank you for so much inspiration. I've really been enjoying your blog. RJ

Jo said...

How exciting ~ I can't wait to see the finished room. I so badly want to do this in our dinning room.

Thanks for sharing,
Jo

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Can't wait to see your finished project. I am quite sure it will be gorgeous! Just like everything else you do.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I absolutely love wainscoting!

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt you will do a fabulous job! I added bead board in my kitchen not to long ago and I'm loving it!

BTW, you won my table top frame giveaway this past Monday. Email me with your choice and shipping info:)

martha said...

As always, it's going to be great! Your projects are always inspirational.

Since you're my makeover diva, I must ask a question:
Do you prefer spray paint or traditional? I have a few garage sale finds that I would like to spruce up. They are small pieces, end tables, benches, etc. I would like the ease of spray painting, but worry that it won't be as durable as I'd like. What do you think?

Thanks, Martha

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Martha, I hope you will come back to see this.

Honestly, for smaller items like my kitchen chairs & that round table top I just paint, spray paint is the way to go. I love Black Satin & it works great on furniture. any brand will work, I usually go to Lowes & get their Valspar brand. If you can get it to go on smoothly on a piece of furniture, then that's all you need to worry about. Really, spray paint is oil based & is VERY durable. I haven't ever had a problem with any of my spray-painted furniture items. The only problem on a large piece with a flat surface is the overlap marks that spraying sometimes leaves. Those little circles that you can see. That I don't like, so that is why sometimes I'll use a foam roller on some of my pieces. But, really spray painting is great on most anything!

SoBella Creations said...

I love the way molding and wanscottng look