Tuesday, March 31, 2009

April Food Day

header1 copy

I’ve been asked to share a very important message with all of you, so I’m doing that today. Please read below:

Everyday, the news is filled with the dire news about the current economic climate and a lot of us use the blogging community to take a break from the constant drumbeat. However, we can not ignore the fact that friends and family members, and even some blogger friends have lost their jobs because of the recession.

Former advertising executive, Chris Cox, the editor of Easy & Elegant Life, and fundraising professional, Meg Fairfax Fielding, editor of Pigtown*Design, have teamed up to create a blogger action day on April 1, 2009, which we are calling April Food Day – Bloggers Fighting Hunger. We are asking our fellow bloggers to create a post about this project and ask each of their readers to make a contribution to Feeding America (formerly Second Harvest), a national food bank with 200 member banks across the country.

People who never had a worry in the world now have to think about where their next meal is coming from. People who never would have dreamt that they would need help are now showing up at the local food banks. But when they get there, the shelves are bare. There is not enough food being donated to meet the sudden rise in demand. There is not enough money to buy the food for the food banks. There is not a general understanding that food banks need help to help fill their shelves.

Every dollar contributed provides seven meals or 10 pounds of food. A gift of $25 provides 75 meals. If we all post together and ask our readers to make a contribution on April 1, we can make a huge difference in our communities.

Click here to go to the donation page for the Food Bank.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. I’m sure any help you can give would be appreciated. If any of you would like to post this on your blog on April 1st, that would be appreciated too.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 friends stopped by:

Maya said...

Thanks! I'll certainly make that my tommorrows post. I figure everyone who can afford two pints of Ben & Jerry (ice creme) each week (like I do), can afford to make a donation.

Anonymous said...

That food bank sounds like a great idea. America has been hit hard by the crisis, hasn't it? We hear horror stories everyday.

Kate (in Australia)

Shirley said...

I've made my donation and posted this on my blog.

Unknown said...

We'll spread the word. And I'll be making a donation.

Pigtown*Design said...

Thank you so much for posting! And thanks to everyone who helps. Send me an e-mail and I will put a link to your site on the April Food Day site.

mfairfaxf at juno dot com

THANK YOU!!!

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

What an awesome idea! I hope this will have great success. This should be brought to everyone's attention Nationally and annually!

It is so heartbreaking what the people of our country are going through. Shantytowns being setup in some states.....it just turns my stomach and at the same time feel helpless to do anything. This is wonderful to hear people stepping up to make a difference!

God Bless all of you!

Amanda

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Rhoda,
thank you for letting us know and I'll post it on my blog at 12:00 AM EST and make my donation.
Tam

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Sometimes when I read blogs I think we all suffer from too much self indulgence. There are so many people in need.

Maureen said...

A very worthy cause- thanks for the post. You know, I learned last year that our local food bank was very under-stocked-- nowhere near as many contributions received over the holidays when they typically receive an abundance to stock their shelves for the coming months. This is timely!

Sharon said...

thanks Rhoda for the "heads up" about this project. I've made a donation and posted the message on my blog in hopes that others will do the same. Hugs, Sharon

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Thanks for letting us know about this. I'll put it on my blog too.

Anonymous said...

The way I look at it we are all in peril...it could happen to anyone...anywhere in the world...

I am going to copy this for our family blog....thanks Rhoda...

Gob Bless us all !!!

Kathy :)

jessiev said...

Thank you so much for the info on April Food Day. I posted it on my blog in the hopes that it will help the cause.( I even figured out how to put in links, thanks to you) You are such an inspiration to me and I thank you for that.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Great idea to encourage people to spread the word. As people tighten their belts, donations are down at most charitable organizations. I volunteered at a soup kitchen every Saturday for 7 years and know that even the smallest donation makes a difference and allows the food banks to buy food in bulk.

I also recommend donating blood to the Red Cross. So easy, so simple, and saves lives.

I was laid off yesterday. I'm thankful that I have some savings to tide me over until I get a new job. Things are tight out there, though!

Jojo said...

I saw this on Cote de Texas and made a gift. This is such a great thing to be doing. Thank you.

Jo Draven said...

This is a terrific idea, especially since some of us (ahem, me!) can get caught up in their own little teeny troubles and forget that some people have to make the choice between a roof over their heads and dinner.

Thanks for the timely reminder!