Monday, March 30, 2009

A Little Beadboard


Living with Lindsay is hosting a Five Dollar Challenge today and it's all about doing some sort of spring project for $5 or under, so I'm linking up to her party. My post is about doing a decorating project, so I think it fits the bill. And you can't beat FREE on this one! Yes, I used leftovers....

IMG_4363

In anticipation of the new granite coming real soon in the kitchen, another little molding project is done now. With the leftover beadboard from my bookcase project last fall, I had enough to add to the back of the kitchen shelf. I always felt this area needed some beadboard instead of the tile that was there and it really made a difference.

IMG_4364

I made a pattern out of paper and traced it out on the board and borrowed the neighbor’s jigsaw to cut it. I had to keep trimming and trimming a few times til I got it to fit in there just right and figured I’d use a piece of leftover molding from the dining room to finish off the rough edge at the top.

IMG_4366

I primed it well with Kilz, then painted 2 coats of my white trim paint.

IMG_4313

And it went from this…..


Beadboard

To this……I used liquid nails to hold it up and then glued the top molding piece in place with wood glue. Caulked and painted another coat to finish it off.

Beadboard shelf

And what a sweet little area this is now.

Molding

I added this small piece of molding right after we moved in and now the beadboard really finishes it off. I enjoy so much adding these special little details to an area. Do you have somewhere you can add molding? Look around, I bet you do too!

IMG_4559

I'm at the beach having some fun with the girls, but will be back soon. Don't forget the fun giveaway on Wednesday! You are gonna love it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

63 friends stopped by:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

You win and I have'nt even since the others ... this is great!

Amy said...

Wow, what a total transformation! I love your projects Rhonda. Such inspiration. Have fun at the beach! Amy :)

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

That looks great!! I am getting new granite too! Are you counting down the days? I know that I am!! LOL!!

Mary said...

Rhoda, I love your project! I think you were supposed to use something from the dollar store though, so I didn't enter mine but mine was a freebie too. Maybe you should start your own contest with using what you have on hand, that would be fun!
Hope your enjoying your beach vacation! Mary

Mrs. Jones said...

That's awesome, Rhoda! Looks amazing.

~Heather

Mrs. Petrie said...

Nice transformation!

Nancy Hood said...

I just THOUGHT I liked the tiled backsplash UNTIL I saw what you did with the beadboard!! Looks great!!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Perfection as always Rhoda! Can you come to my house next?!

Stacey said...

The tile was nice...the beadboard is awesome!!

Ali said...

Beautiful! And thank you for the extra inspiration you gave me just by posting the pic of above your sink. I have the same sort of setup, and have been trying to figure out what to do above my sink. Now I have an idea, yay!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

It looks wonderful Rhoda! Have a great time on your little vacation! I hope you have perfect weather!
~Kim

Terri Steffes said...

Whoa, are you for hire?? In Missouri??

Angie said...

Looks great! Your pieces show up even better now. I have a beadboard backsplash and I love it!

Tiffany said...

Very cute. You just can't beat FREE!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

The beadboard looks great! I just love beadboard! Have fun at the beach!!

Lori E said...

It is always inspiring to be given a challenge. Women are so creative.

Mrs. Priss said...

I absolutely LOVE what you did to the little space! Very creative!

Frugal Jen said...

Love it! I enjoy reading your blog, you have a beautiful home! Thank you for sharing :)

Robyn said...

very nice! we have alot of beadboard in our home and I love it! hope you are having fun at the beach.

Unknown said...

Such a cute transformation. Love it.

Cynthia

Willoughby said...

The beadboard looks great! I love using leftovers to make new projects, too.

Sarah said...

That looks really great Rhonda!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is just gorgeous. What a transformation. It really creates such a beautiful focal point. LOVE it. Hugs, Marty

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I'm surprised at how nice the transformation is. At first, I though that is beautiful tile, that shouldn't be covered up. However, I was wrong. It completes the area and now makes it look like it's own cabinet. You have remarkable vision. Good job.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Love it!! I just talked with my hubby about adding a little bead board to our island. It's a basic builder island and needs something. :)

Darlene said...

It looks FABULOUS!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

What a great idea!!!

Cheri said...

It really shows off your green ware. Nice job!

Chei

Carry Grace said...

The beadboard really lightened up the space. Good work, and I love it when you can use what you already have.

Linda said...

I liked the tile before but you were so right! It really makes a huge difference. Great job.
Hope you are having fun at the beach.
Blessings,
Linda

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

GREAT job! Really makes the green "pop."

Enjoy the beach...thanks in part to you and your doughnuts, I will not be wearing a bathing suit any time soon. ;-)

From the Old InkWell said...

Very clever! I LOVE the green plates and things! LOVELY

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very cute, Rhoda, and a great price, too!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Linda in AZ * said...

* Great idea, Rhoda (altho it was pretty before, too!!!). This, tho, really DOES sort of "separate" it from everything else, making it a "super-special-spot" for seasonal decorating, huh??? Yummmy greens, too!!! KNOW you are having a ball with your gfs... E*N*J*O*Y!!! XO, Linda *

Unknown said...

Wow. What a fabulous update. That really shows off your dishes now, just beautiful.

Salmagundi said...

What a happy, bright spot!! All with leftovers - great little makeover. Sally

june@craftyniche said...

That turned out so cute!

Sandra said...

Very pretty! I like it! Thanks for sharing with us. Have a great time at the beach. :)

Free Art Printables said...

Love it Rhoda! It's super sweet! Jen

Picket said...

I love the beadboard...the tile was beautiful but the beadboard just makes it so special!

Kim said...

Well this is a real timely post for me because as I write this I'm waiting for hubby to get home from Home Depot with my roller so I can begin priming my beadboard on my new mudroom lockers. Hopefully they'll be ready for next weeks Met Monday!! Yours look great and I also checked out your older post of the bookcase - woweee girl! Love the way that black turned out all distressed!!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Great job, it looks wonderful!
~Michelle

Rebekah said...

That is gorgeous!

Jojo said...

That is one impressive transformation!

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Rhoda; What a beautiful transformation.... It is amazing how just a little change can make a huge difference... I just love it, and all that beautiful green,, oooooooo

Hugs;
Alaura

One Shabby Old House said...

I will never let my hubby toss out any small piece of beadboard again. Why just look at how wonderful you made that little cubby. Great job.
Enjoy your beach trip
Hugs
Becky

Gone Overboard said...

So nice! Would you come over and re-do my kitchen?

Tracy said...

Oh Rhoda...just love it, love it!
Tracy

Unknown said...

This is a great project Rhoda! Love it.

Also, thanks for the tip about Windows Live Writer! I've used it to do my last 3 posts, and it is easy! Love it!

Diane

Rose said...

BEACH? I don't wanna even hear that! Man I wish I were there to!

Your 5.00 project is pretty cool! Looks awesome as always!
I'm making me a wall shelf/curtain rod holder above my window, in my beachy bedroom redo. I just drew out the pattern the other night and been waiting for the rain to quit so I can work on that next.
Love your cabinet!

susan said...

Now that's what I call tweaking and fine tuning. Looks great!

queenbee said...

The white beadboard really makes your green dishes "pop" Looks great!!!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Ms. Rhoda, your projects are always fabulous! Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Hope you're having a great time at the beach!

~Amanda

Amber Filkins said...

It looks great!! Thanks for sharing! And hope you're having a great time with your girls.

Coffee with Cathy said...

Thanks, as always, for a wonderfully creative and doable idea. Bring back some shrimp and seashells for us!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...your creativity never ceases to amaze me...it's surpassed only by your energy level...you go girl! ;-) Bo

Kari said...

Love it! and i'm really impressed that you did it yourself!!!

KM Studios said...

Looks great!!!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Rhoda- That looks fantastic! It really shows off your plate collection really well. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
I read your blog all the time. You are an inspiration. How do you think of all your great ideas?? What you did with that little old piece of timber was amazing.
Cheers from Australia,
Erica

jessiev said...

I have to admit, when you said you were going to cover the tile I thought you might be losing it...the tile is so pretty. I love beadboard but, to cover up that pretty tile...I would've never had the nerve. But, of course, you blew us all away once again. Absolutely perfect! The plate collection stands out beautifully against the beadboard! You have such vision!

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty. What a great idea.
Susan.

mrsben said...

I browsed thru a number of your projects and am soooooo impressed.

Have been known myself to do a few of my own and discovered Zinnsers Bullseye Primer has to be one of the leading brands on the Market. (Will go over literally anything and saves the muss 'n fuss of sanding.) Also, another favourite of mine is the compound 'No More Nails'. It is so easy to work with and has a bonding property like no other. (Super for wainscotting and decorative molding.)

You are such an inspiration to DYI-ers. -Brenda-