Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Taken with Toile

IM000203

It was over 8 years ago when I first fell in love with toile and decided to do my bedroom makeover using a black and beige toile. This is my old house in Georgia. My mom made the drapes for me and I added pillows and some things that I had collected around the room and I was in toile heaven. I was very happy with this room.

IM000216

And even added toile wallpaper to the bathroom. I loved this little space.

IM000212

And the toile made it extra special. I’d still love to do another bathroom in toile, but it hasn’t happened in this house. Maybe one day!

So, I brought my toile drapes with me to the new house and split them up between the dining room and a guestroom, where they are now hanging and I’m still enjoying them.

IMG_4520

In the dining room, they add some punch to this neutral space. Timeless and classic is toile.

IMG_4514

And in the guestroom, I painted the walls green for a change of pace.

IMG_4515

Toile pillow shams mix well with a little leopard print.

IMG_4516

A covered lampshade in toile graces the nightstand.

IMG_4517

And a tissue box that I covered with extra fabric hangs out next to a toile candleholder.

So, that’s my toile love, do you love toile too? Pretty Organized Palace is hosting a Toile party today, so go on over and see who else loves toile. You can get your toile inspiration for the week! I’ll leave you with a few more pretty toile pics to drool over that I found online.

toile_button

Dallas News Photos by Natalie Caudill Styling Katie Kieffer

From Dallas News: Photos by Natalie Caudill, Styling Katie Kieffer

Via Casa Sugar

Via Casa Sugar website

from Trendbites

From Trendbites

from Domino

From Domino

Hope you enjoyed the toile inspiration!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

68 friends stopped by:

Lori Bee said...

Toile IS so very timeless and classic and I love it! Glad you still use your lovely drapes. :)

Carol said...

Toile is beautiful. I think I need more of it as I have none to speak of. I like in England temporarity and when I move back to Michigan, it's something I plan on incorporating into our home.

You decorate beautifully!

Kelly B said...

I would love to put toile wallpaper in my master bath, but I am really awful with wallpaper and doubt I could get anything to match up. :( I loved your pictures of yours!! Very beautiful!!

Deb said...

I just started noticing toile recently, I really like it, love the photos

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, Rhoda...I love your bedroom in your home in GA, especially that cute bath. Your drapes look great in your current home, too! Love the tissue box...that was very clever of you to create that cover...ummm, wonder if I could sew something like that? :-)
Thanks for all the toile inspiration!

Remodeling Guy said...

Wall to Wall Toile! Looks great Rhoda. I really think that lamp is cool. Makes me want to go out and customize a lamp today! Have a great day!

Tim

Anonymous said...

I love the bathroom - it's so elegant. (Your whole house is elegant, for that matter!)

I have a black toile valance in the breakfast room, and I'm going to have a matching slipcover made for my wing chair in my study sometime this spring.

Carol - where in England are you? I lived at RAF Lakenheath in East Anglia when I was younger. My aunt & uncle live near Ipswich, and my cousin lives in Lancashire.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

You know I love that bathroom! I love toile (as you know) but I don't like a whole lot of toile on the walls and that combination of white wainscoating and toile above the chair rail is beautiful. I've always loved those curtains!

Manuela

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I went to an Open House in my neighborhood over the weekend and the house was the same basic model as mine. The homeowner apparently loved toile because it was everywhere--they even had the same toile wallpaper in their powder room that you showed here. It was gorgeous! Love how yours looks with the beadboard, too. :-)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Gorgeous! Stunning, really! I loved all your toile! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Rhoda! Yours is beautiful! Love the drapes! Question that I posed at Nester's blog too...do you think I could pull off toile across the room from the zebra print? I am out of my league here!!! I am hesitant to use too many patterns--even if they are in black and white. Thoughts?? Suggestions??

Hugs!
Susan

Wendy said...

I really love the toile with the leopard print!

Leila said...

I love your black and white toile with the green paint!

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Your curtains are great! Your home looks beautiful!
~Kim

Sandra said...

Hello! Wow! Very pretty!! I love toile! I want to make red toile curtains for my dining room and kitchen. :) You have a beautiful blog.

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...In my previous house I had black & white toile wall papered walls, bedding, drapes, & lampshades...I was in toile heaven...when we put the house up for sale the realtor said I should change it...people wouldn't like it...hmph, that house sold in less than 3 weeks to the 3rd looker & the 2nd looker came back to make an offer the same day we accepted the buyer's offer...haha! ;-) Bo

Lois Christensen said...

I grew up with toile wall paper in our house! Blue and white, very pretty. I wasn't too thrilled with it when I was a kid, but now I see my mother was way ahead of everyone! Love your black and white!!!

Darlene said...

I love all your toile....especially those curtains. Those are wonderful!

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Hi there Rhoda!
I loved your bedroom and bath pics from your old house. I love toile too but have never used it in my own home. I have been thinking of using it in my guest room but haven't started to collect the right elements just yet. I love how the wallpaper and gold mirrors just amped up that little space into an elegant boudoir! Loved it!

Alyce said...

I LOVE me some Toile! I have new kitchen curtains in the red and beige toile..so pretty. I would love to do my girls' bathroom in toile..but have a hard time finding a shower curtain and accessories.

Rachel said...

Such pretty toile. I love the little bathroom in your old house. Isn't it great when you can take something from your old house that you love and change it up in your new house? Have a beautiful day.

Cindy said...

Rhoda, I am so glad read that you think toile is "timeless and classic", because I love toile so much and am trying to put it somewhere in my little bungalow. It is beautiful, but can also be masculine, moreso than some things that I love anyway. I loved this post, thanks!! Hugs, ~cindy s~

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I love the black toile with the green! It really pops. And I'm digging the candle sticks!

Someone was pretty brave to put the yellow toile on the ceiling!

Victorian Garden Gourmet said...

Just gorgeous! What eye candy!
Kate

Mom in High Heels said...

I love your toile curtains! They are lovely!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your toile curtains are lovely and I really loved the wallpapers bathroom!

Come see my toile :-)
Hugs,
Penny

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, I just LOVE it all. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

I love toile and I o agree with you it's timeless...by the way I may be one of the only ones left hat just adores a wallpapered bathroom, it's the one room I will not give up to paint !!! Love your old bathroom !!!

By the way your Mother does beautiful work....

I always wanted to ask:d you and your sister have different or similar tastes???

Have a nice day,
Kathy :)

Pretty Organizer said...

Love that bathroom! Love it! I could sit in there all day. I'm draming of wallpapering my downstairs guest bath in Toile. Haven't found the right paper yet but I'll know it when I see it. Rhoda, thanks so much for your little plugs about this party. Amazing turnout and the tour of Toile-land is fantastic!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Add me to the fan club, I love it, too!

Chandy said...

Love all your toile! I'd love to do one room, use oriental toile and call it the "Imperial Domain". :-)

I'm loving this party!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Love your toile Rhoda! I am ready for a change in my kitchen. I would like to add a topper and fringe onto my panels. I need some fringe! Everything is just gorgeous, as usual...
~Misti

Unknown said...

Love toile! I think it us precious in a baby's room.

MarthaYvette said...

I love toile tooo and that hutch in the 1st picture goes exactly with a full size bed my son has....I love your decorating and wish I could do the same....

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

When we bought our house, the then-owners were like, "I'm sure the first thing you'll do is redo the bathroom!"

The one with the toile wallpaper? Not a chance. :-) Not sure Mister Shorehouse would have gone for toile, so I'm glad we inherited it! Your room looks very oo-la-la. Love it!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Rhoda and Happy Toile Day!

Oooh...what a beautiful display of toile at your place! I loved seeing the photos of your bed and bath from your previous home...it was gorgeous!!! Your mother did a fabulous job with those drapes...and you're right, toile is classic and timeless!!! I especially like the black & white toile with the green walls in your guest bedroom...soooo pretty! Love that toile mosaic lamp too!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

Felicia said...

Yep, love those curtains :)

Amanda said...

Love it all Rhoda! I especially love the leopard print thrown in with the toile - looks awesome! Thanks for the great ideas and peeks into your home!

Janelle said...

There is just something about black and white patterns mixed with green that appeals to me SO much! Love your curtains against the green wall!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I love your black and cream toile in every picture!! Looks great in both houses, too! :)

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Love all the toile!! I love seeing how everyone uses it in their decor.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, First thanks for stopping by my Blog, you made my day!!
Oh, all your Toile look fabulous. As always you do it to perfection.
I'm so in love with both your homes ; )
I love and use toile around my house too, and decided to join todays party ; )
Have a lovely day, Jannet

Allidink said...

OOOOOOO! Your post has made me SO excited I LOVE toile too!!! It's my bedspread :) In black and white and I have a little red and white toile basket but it isn't enough to me I think I need lots more lol.

All the best,
Allison

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love love love those curtains. Yes toile is a friend of mine too! When I mention that I love it to my hubby he always asks whom I am referring to not 'what'!! hahaha.
Beautiful post.
Blessings,
Debbie

Tara said...

love toile and do not have an ibch of it anywhere--I'll just go to the party!

Kaye said...

I love toile also! Come look at my post! My mother made my curtains in my kitchen. Thank God for moms! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics of toile!

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda, great post and I loved your guest room. My guest room use to be green walls with touches of toile also.Kindred spirits! I now have toile in my guest bath but you have already seen that on rms.Toile seems perfect in your home. Thankyou for sharing and always inspiring,hugs,Kathysue

Donna Lynn said...

Love love love toile! Wish I had more of it in my house, love your drapes, they are just beautiful!

Really enjoyed all the toile so much, thanks for posting the lovely pictures of your old home and of your new.
XO,
Donna Lynn

The Bloom Girls said...

Hello,
I love the toile and especially how charming the bathroom looks.
Great blog!
Nola @ The Bloom Girls

Unknown said...

I love the classic look too. Just small touches in someone's home.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for stopping by the toile party. I see there are many of us who love this classic fabric.

Kathy, you wanted to know if me & my sister have similar taste and yes, we do, but not exact. She's not quite as INTO decorating as I am & she has no toile in her house either, but we're both on the Traditional side of decorating.

Sofia Striffler said...

You have a beautiful bedroom. I love toile but it does not fit in my home. I love it in everyone else's
Lovely

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

My love affair with Toile is still going strong. I think it has been about 8 years for me as well. I am thinking of getting toile chairs for my front porch. We should see.

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thank you so much for your comment. We are new and very excited about being a part of a community of bloggers that love interior design. I've been following your blog for months and have become a huge fan!
Thanks again!
Nola

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Rhoda - love those curtains, and I love that bathroom wallpaper. I love toile too - and find it odd I do not have as much in my home as I would love to. Me needs to change that. LOL I'm sorry my comment about your "designer" through you off. I meant that I was so impresssed with your blog design that I contacted the designer to work on my own blog.
:-D Sorry my wording made it confusing. Thanks for sharing, Barb

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about toile. My bedroom curtains and my pillow shams are of black and white toile. I also have the matching bedspread but its very large and heavy, so I only use it during the winter. As soon as Spring spring forward I take out my white and fluffy bedspread. But toile is very nostaligic, elegant and, in my opinion, very feminine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! I would love to trade buttons. Im sorry for not sending this via email but my email has gone Kput! Not sure what I did wrong but I cant seem to reply to anyone,yikes! Thanks for thinking of me~

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I am passing on an award.
I think you are Fabulous!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
I always love looking at your pictures! Thanks for sharing,
Diane

Southern Charm said...

You are just so talanted and creative. I love your toile curtains. I love toile period. But those curtains were so beautiful. What a beautiful bedroom you had. Thanks for letting us peek in. My hubby is a toile hater so I have only managed to sneak it in to the laundry room so far.

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Love all your toile! Especially the wallpaper in your bathroom. I have a little powder room just begging for it but I haven't gotten up the nerve to tell my husband yet! We paid a bit extra for our plaster type walls in the house and I don't think he would be too thrilled that I want to wallpaper over it! Your photo sparked that urge again! Again, a beautiful job - love how you mixed your checks & leopard prints with the toile.

dana's design studio said...

It's been a while since I have stopped by, been sooooo busy which is good in this economy...your blog keeps getting better and better, I am so impressed. I hope business is good for you...it has to be, you are so talented! Keep going and doing! Dana

Melissa said...

Wow, you've got some amazing toile~I especially love the drapes~just beautiful!

cotedetexas said...

that bathroom is inspiring. i think toile look so pretty in a powder room !!! and a bedroom too- who are we kidding here? haha!!

Katie said...

I love this!! Love those curtains and would love to have those (:

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, I have been away for a while and I am "trying" to catch up...I have looked and read all your posts I have missed, and I have to leave my comment here...I LOOOOVE your toile bathroom that you had at your other house...and the bedroom too...Oh...it is gorgeous!

Hope you have a wonderful time at the beach.

Blessings, Nancy

Jo said...

Your toile looks great! Where did you find that candlestick?!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe i just stumbled on this site. I just "toile"ed my master bathroom with a tan & black print that I adore. I made an unfortunate choice of black tile yrs ago & don't want to spend the $ to change it. Anyway now I am struggling with what other prints to use- drapes, etc. & its driving me nuts. I like the leopard print idea for a vanity chair and I think I'm going to go w/some stripes for the curtains but haven't found any yet. Thanks for the inspiration/