Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Flea Market Shopping

Rhoda & Layla

This blogworld has opened so many doors to special friendships these last 2 years for me and one of them is dear Layla, that you probably all know and love too, from The Lettered Cottage. If you haven’t visited her yet, you really must. She is talented, sweet, and so genuine and we got to finally meet up in person this week for a day of antiquing and lunch, after chatting online and on the phone these last few months.

Rhoda & Layla2

She is exactly as I knew she would be and I just love this girl and am cheering her on from the sidelines. Isn’t she gorgeous? She’s as beautiful inside as she is outside. We met up in Montgomery, AL at the Eastbrook Flea market which is very close to her and about and hour and 1/2 from me.

Thai Lunch

We had lunch next door at a wonderful Thai place and this is Cathy from the area who also joined us for the day. She’s a sweetie too and we all had a great time chatting and browsing. Meeting other bloggers is just like meeting an old friend, truly!

Bamboo shelf

So, come on along for a little antiquing with us. I spotted this really great looking bamboo bakers rack that was so pretty and only $119, a great price I thought. I racked my brain trying to think of where I could put it and came up empty.

Bamboo

I could see this in a big bathroom filled with fluffy towels and containers of bath stuff. Someone needs to buy this! It’s a very unique piece.

Glider

Did you know they are making these old-timey gliders again? This set is new but in the old style. So cute!

Island

Layla had spotted this piece already and I think blogged about it, but it’s a really pretty old looking island in that beautiful shade of blue that we all love.

Layla

Layla was checking out this iron candleholder, but decided against it. That’s the thing with antiquing. You pick things up and then put them back when something better comes along.

Old Mantel

This old mantel caught our eye too.

Old Table

And this booth made tables out of reclaimed wood that was very stylish.

Table setting

Another reclaimed wood table all set for spring.

Rhoda & Toile chair

I found a pretty black and white toile chair that I really loved and had to try out.

Toile chair

Can you see why I loved it?

Window Coffee table

Layla and I both loved this old window made into a coffee table. Isn’t that the neatest piece with the letters on the wood piece inside too?

White bowls

All I got were 2 white pieces to add to my collection, a planter on the left and a cute rustic mixing bowl on the right, so I only spent $7.

Fun day, great friends! Doesn’t get any better.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

63 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I thought about yall so many times. Wondering what neat things you would see and laughs along the way. Yall are the best and I would have loved to spend the day with yall. Maybe next time I can jump in on that trip and surround myself with pure delight! Glad that yall had some fun~

Carol said...

Really nice stuff and you are both beautiful.

I haven't found the antique and flea markets here, yet. I should hunt them down. I love the stuff you are finding.

Amanda said...

It's so much more fun to shop with a friend, isn't it! Looks like you had a wonderful time and found some beautiful pieces!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had lots of fun Rhoda! Thanks for sharing..your pics are great!

Melanie@TheOldWhiteCottage said...

Oh, how fun that you two met up! I love Layla's blog as much as yours.

All those treasures! There is a bird plate I would love in the first baker's rack pictures. I've been loooking everywhere for something like that. That island is awesome too. My parents need something exactly like that. I wish I could shop where you shopped!

Thanks for sharing that!

Kathi said...

How nice to see two of my favorite bloggers having fun together! I too, LOVE that little bird plate!
Can't believe you only bought two things! Your hutch looks great BTW!

Denise K. said...

Oh my goodness...there are some WONDERFUL treasures in that store! After yesterday's post, I was longing for that black toile chair!!!

What beautiful ladies, and so glad you had such a nice afternoon together! Blogging is SUCH fun!

With love from Colorado,
Denise :-)

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

I love the reclaimed wood tables! Blogland is really bad for my husbands wallet!

Maureen said...

I loved that toile chair... I am getting ready to paint similar chairs, so thanks for the inspiration.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What fun day for you Rhoda! I love Layla's sytle! She is amazing! Glad you got to go!

Judy said...

Oh, I hate that I couldn't get with ya'll on Monday as previously planned but sometimes things come up beyond our control and plans have to change but there WILL be a next time, I promise!

Oh, BTW, I love your hair! Is that a "new do"? It's looking good on you girlfriend.

I'm trying to figure out when I can come up to B'ham to see my sweet son and his family and get together with you as well.

Guess what? I found your creme pumpkins over the weekend so I'll bring them to you next trip up and try and get your rusty garden chair to you before the summer gets here.

Gotta go!
Judy

Kimba said...

It's so fun to see two of my favorite people together! It looks like you had a great day.

That booth that sold things from reclaimed wood probably had something that would be perfect as a coffee table for my family room! Layla suggested making one out of an old door.

I'm so glad you had fun. Wish I could have been there too.
Kimba

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda: This looks like a great place! Love that coffee table, love it! Where is this antique mall? Thanks for sharing!

Lou Cinda :)

Southern Charm said...

You guys looked like you were having a great time! How much fun to meet finally and then go shopping. Doesn't get much better. Both of you are beautiful ladies. Glad you had such fun.
BTW, I saw a dining room table made from an old door once and I've never forgotten it. I am trying to convince my hubby to make one for me. We'll see.....

Deb said...

new friends are so much fun, looks like you had a good day, such wonderful items to look at, love the rustic table and the gliders

SoBella Creations said...

Sounds like a nice day spent with friends.

Anonymous said...

That toile chair was so 'you' - I don't know how you resisted it!

I spotted youe pun about you 'racking' your brains thinking where you would put the baker's 'rack' LOL

Charmingdesigns said...

Love what you ended up with. It is so fun to see what others see when they go flea market shopping. laurie

Sherri said...

What a great Flea Market! Looks like you girls had a great time! I wish it wasn't s far away, I can see that Baker's rack as a miniature office/computer desk...

Tiffany said...

I would love to have one of those glider sets in red and white. So cute!

Sa-Sea said...

amazing!!!! Where on earth can we get those gliders. Please tell! Looks like you all had a GREAT TIME!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...you & Layla look like you could be sisters! You didn't buy that toile chair??? It must not have been too comfy, huh?
What a great outing you had that day... ;- Bo

Darlene said...

That looks like the neatest antique mall. LOVE that toile chair....I can't believe you didn't buy it! Also, that glider is just too cute. I bet you had a blast together.

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

You and Layla look like you could be related! It looks and sounds like y'all had a great time :)

I absolutely adore the corner hutch you refurbished!! I feel the need to use burlap somewhere now. Thank you for the inspiration!

hugs,
rue

Unknown said...

Love the Eastbrook Antique Mall and Flea Market. My parents don't love too far from there and we love going there! I saw the coffee table made out of an old window a few weeks ago with my Mom and said if I had a place to put it, I would buy it! I am glad you enjoyed your time in Montgomery!

Susie Q said...

You ladies are stunning...adn what cool things you found!!!

Cathy said...

It was so nice to meet you Rhoda, you are just so sweet and I had a wonderful day with you and Layla. Thank you for letting me tag along. Maybe we can do it again sometime.

{{Big Hugs}}

Cathy

Joanna said...

Y'all really found some great items. Oh and that chair! Love it!

Lori E said...

What a great site you have. In my area the rustic pieces are not as plentiful.
I do have several old divided windows and I love the coffee table idea. Up until now I had been painting images on them.

Sofia Striffler said...

That is great that you finally got to meet up. I just found Layla yesterday as a matter of fact. Lovely blog. I hope to get to know both of you better. Sorry I am not as close. This day sounds like alot of fun!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I don't know how you restrain yourself Rhoda! I am in love with the black toile chair.

I'm happy you had such a great day! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Amanda Herrold said...

I LOVE going to flea markets and haven't been in a couple of years. I'm going to check out her site now! Thanks!
http://www.lazymoms.com

Runner Mom said...

I want to go with y'all next time!Glad you had so much fun!

Hugs!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

Your day out looks so cool. I can't believe you resisted the toile chair!

I thought I'd let you know -- I got two waist-high chests of drawers that I am going to paint that beautiful pale blue/grey colour. If it weren't for your blog, I definitely wouldn't have worked up the courage to try this.

Thank you!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh such fun with two fantastic ladies. I bet your creative juices were going over time between the two of you. :)

A New England Life said...

How I wish I could have come shopping with you ladies! The chair, the coffeetable, the plates in the background ... so many pretty things! Including the pretty table set for dinner.

Isn't it always nice to meet a new friend?!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** You gals look SOOO happy & like you had sooo much F*U*N!!! Shame on you tho, Rhoda, for NOT taking home that fab black & white toile chair (or MAYBE Layla could use it~~~ could/should look FAB w/ her wonderful home, too!), AND the wonderful lil' black table w/ the "old lettered wood" inside... ANNNND, that BLUE piece was oh-too-great also!!! WOW! How I WISH we could all pull a "SAMANTHA", wiggle our noses like bunnies (Hey! It I*S SPRING... MAYBE it would WORK!), and all be in the same place at the same time & just have a ball spending the day together, yakking, sharing ideas over lunch and maybe finding a few "special pieces" too!!! SO GLAD Y'all had FUN!!! Hugs, Linda

***** BTW, who is this "CARRIE" "person"(?)right above me??? I think "SOMEbody" must have slept with NAILS in her mattress last night! My goodness, such nastiness!!! EWWW! VERY UNATTRACTIVE, Carrie, whomEVER you are! NOT very ladylike!!!)~~~

Anonymous said...

first visit here, saw you on Layla's site. some great photos and great finds. love the metal porch chairs!

Montee said...

Rhoda, what is a good flea market around Birmingham? I may be coming there in July (8-11) when my husband's ballteam plays the Birmingham Barons. If you could recommend a good place to dig around, let me know.

I like Layla's blog too. She has a good eye.

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

My word Rhoda! You are looking very thin these days! What's the secret? I'm so envious. Yet I still ate a BLT with sweet potato fries for lunch!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

How fun this must have been! I love it. Love seeing what you were looking at and the great time you must have had!
blessings,
Debbie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL!

Linda, I had to delete Carrie, unfortunately some people have no manners. Besides, she is totally wrong anyway in her assumptions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda...looks like a fun day! I would love to have one of those reclaimed wood tables for the dining area, here at the condo. It would be just the ticket!!

Heathahlee said...

Oh, how fun! I LOVE that window/table! When we redo our kitchen windows I will most definitely do that with my old ones! That is gorgeous!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Looks like such a fun day! I'm lovin' some of that stuff myself!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow! Looks like all kinds of great stuff. I want one of those old-time gliders. It surprised me when you said that one was actually new.

How fun that you got to meet Layla and Cathy and shop together. Wish I could've been there with you. I see a few things I would've loved to have brought home with me. :-)

Rose - Watching Waves said...

How fun! I love Layla, too. What a talented, sweet yourg woman she is! The b/w chair is so YOU, Rhoda. Somehow, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a version of it in your home at some point, maybe an office chair?

Twice as Nice said...

Rhoda~ I'm so glad you girls got together for a fun day. Is that Layla a cutie patootie or what? She has such style. I'm so jealous of your get togethers and wish I lived closer. Then again I probably would have needed a U-Haul cause I don't know it I could have passed up some of that stuff!!

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY said...

You both are beautiful.It is settled I can't meet either of you in real life.I would be intimidated.The story beauty and the beast comes to mind,lol.Of course unless you have a garage sale this year,if so,Im there!

I lovee the island.I so need that!

Kelley said...

What a fun day. I'm so jealous! You and Layla look like you could be sisters! ... definitely kindred spirits, how fun.
Thanks for sharing your fun outing.

Allidink said...

Oh it looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Everything there is so neat! Thanks for sharing pictures.

All the best,
Allison

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

OH I would love to hang out and shop with you guys! I bet that was FUN. That window table is so original, love the inside. And the island. ahhhhhhhhhhh.Love at first site!
~Misti

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhoda, you must go back and buy yourself that baker's rack. It would be perfect painted with outdoor paint and placed in your patio redo outside!!! Run, drive fast (but safely) and get that baker's rack! Think of all the great things it could hold while entertaining outside!!

Blessings,

Sher

cotedetexas said...

i am SO jealous!!!! y'all look so adorable and I wish I was there with you!!!

jessiev said...

Can't believe you didn't come home with that chair...it looked like it was made for you! Looks like you all had a great day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your fun day! The mantle is what caught my eye.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

A fun day with friends for under 10 bucks is even better! :-)

Great pictures of your trip...as always.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fabulous day! Both of you are adorable.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Awesome... I've really enjoyed this story Rhoda!

And I so want that window coffee table! Fabulous inspiration.

Thanks for sharing and visiting. :)

Donna with
Funky Junk Interiors &
Extreme Home Renos

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day! Love that coffee table!! Hey just wanted to let you know your rug is taking off...have gotten 4 orders for animal print initial inlay rugs! Thanks for the new design idea...I never even thought of it untill you mentioned that combo.

Darlene
Creative Carpet Design
www.creativecarpetdesign.com

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

Hi Rhoda,

I just love your blog! how fabulous! and I saw that blue island and almost fell over, it's stunning! I clicked on the link you had to lettered cottage's blog to see where I could get it because you had said she blogged about it, well thanks to you girls I will have one very happy client!! I'm a Designer in NY, and my client has been looking for something just like that! So I wanted to thank you for blogging about it! Did you take that picture too? I'd like to use it on a post coming up, but wanted to ask permission and I'll link it back to you too!

All your posts are gorgeous and what an inspiring Gal you are too!! I am so glad I was brought here to your blog via another, I plan on stopping in often to see all your pretties! And btw, that cabinet you did is fabulous too!

Hugs, Cynthia

Justabeachkat said...

What fun! It reminds me of all the times we were able to get together. Meeting bloggers in real life really is the best!

Hugs!
Kat

amy said...

I recently became a follower and am new to blogging. i am amazed at the world of women blogging about their lives. I live in the country and am home alone alot so I love when i get a chance to see what you lady bloggers are all up to. I really enjoyed the pictures of your flea market trip.