Thursday, May 7, 2009

Careful what you paint

Great news! The granite is IN. I'm about to pee my pants with excitement, it looks exactly like I thought it would and I'm just doing the happy dance. They are cleaning up now and the plumber will be here tomorrow to install the faucet. It will take me a few days to clean up, since we have Mother's Day festivities this weekend, so expect some pics next week!

Also, thanks to all of you who came by for the Garden Party, it was a lot of fun and I hope all the blooms inspired and got you more excited to dig in the dirt.

In the meantime....
Bunny plate

About 8 years ago, I found this plate at a yardsale. It was milkglass and I knew it was collectible, vintage, blah-blah-blah. Did I care? Nope. I decided to decoupage it, since I was in the decoupage stage at that time and thought it would be quite pretty with a bunny on it. So I painted it black, used some wallpaper I had on hand and pasted this cute bunny in the center. And I really loved it for a long time. It hung on the wall in my bedrooms. But, now that I’m collecting white dishes, I decided I might try to get that paint off and use it as it should have been originally. Milkglass. IMG_4557

Out came the Goof Off and with a little scraping with a razor blade and rubbing with the Goof Off….Eddie Ross would be horrified at me, especially since I see this same large plate in his Etsy store! :) Plate in process

I got that paint all off. I even used toothpicks to get it out of the crevices. Milkglass plate

And now it’s good as new. Milkglass on wall

And hanging in the dining room on the wall. Even though I’m still not an official milkglass collector, I like this plate. The cut-out edges are so pretty and it looks right at home with my other white dishes.

So, this is just a word of caution…be careful what you paint. You just might change your mind later!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

75 friends stopped by:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

It was pretty before, but it looks gorgeous on the wall with your other white dishes. Hey, it's our perrogative to change our minds, right?

You have me loving soup tureens! The ones you have found are great!

Lou Cinda :)

Betty Jo said...

Oh My! What a task! I don't care much for milk glass either, but there are certain pieces, like your beautiful plate that look awesome with other white pieces. I must keep my eyes open for a plate like that, and I won't paint it! ♥

Unknown said...

Beautiful Plate! I can't wait to see your granite.. I'm so envious! :)

Carol said...

Even though the paint job you did on it was really neat, the piece now in its original state is beautiful.

Vanessa Greenway said...

Wonderful!! Love it!

Stacey said...

Rhoda, I just can't wait to see your kitchen.

Way to go on that plate.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Yeah!! I'm doing a happy dance for you!!

Cindy said...

First of all, don't wet yourself, it'll just be more clean up for you! I love the milk glass plate...it reminds me of how I paint something, go back a few months later & strip it OR paint it a whole different color. I'm glad I've found these blogs. I'm more thoughtful now. I am sitting on a couple of ideas til I see you you others might do with similar things. Thanks for your blog!

Tami said...

Looking forward to seeing your kitchen!! Cute plate...glad you were able to bring it back from to it's natural beauty.

Hugs~T

Willoughby said...

I'm guilty of painting items and then changing my mind, too. I have vintage metal porch furniture that has been a number of different colors.

Your plate looks lovely. I noticed a lot of milk glass at the flea market last weekend, it seems to be very popular right now.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Well, that might be a first. A REVERSE makeover. ;) ;) Love it!

DESJ and Company said...

Hey! I have that plate!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

WOW...I'm amazed that you got all that paint off. I'm sure it was alot of work, but well worth it. That plate is so cute...I love the detail of all the cutouts. And of course it looks wonderful with all of your other white collectibles! My post yesterday was a before and after spray paint job of some metal trays. I got a few comments about WHY I would paint silver. Funny...I NEVER would do that. These were cheapo metal trays speckled with rust that had definitely seen better days. Spay paint is such an easy and fun transformation. But you're right...you better want to keep it that way forever.

~Amanda

p.s. Sooooo excited to see your beautiful kitchen next week!

Virginia said...

I love the plate! Looking forward to seeing the granite after Mother's Day. Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Funny thing, we are having our granite installed tomorrow along with the new sinks and facets in two bathrooms, I can't wait either. I will be thinking of you and can't wait to see your project completed. I will post the new bathrooms.
Have a Happy Mothers Day,
Elizabeth

Amelia said...

Loved the looks of the plate both ways.

question: How do you have it attached to the wall...I don't see a plate hanger.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Farmgirl Paints said...

Wow you are resilient little thing when you get your mind made up. I'm impressed. That could not have been an easy project...but it looks terrific. The granite peeking through under the plate looked beautiful. If that's what you just got I'm totally jealous, but happy for you:)

Lori E said...

Wow. That must have been a big job. Now you realize you will never hesitate to paint over anything again because you now feel invincible. Be careful.

Mary said...

I LOVE milk glass, and I'm so glad you got all that paint off. LOL

Can't wait to see your kitchen pics. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I loved the bunny plate, the all white looks classy. So glad it came off without any damage. The edging is so pretty! Linda

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, it was wonderful both ways. :) Great to know that that Goo stuff can do wonders. :)

Patti VZ said...

Good job on the plate! You go, girl! That was a lot of work but very worth it!

And the counter top is looking great, can't wait to see the final look with everything there.

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda,
You are WAy' too cute! I liked it black! I could kick my self for getting rid of the milk glass I got from my grandmother. Just didn't like it when I was in my 20's. Those kinds of treasures are what make sweet memories.
You did a great job getting all the paint off!
Blessings...
xx

terri said...

Great blog! I have just passed through and stopped to browse and enjoyed every moment. Both versions of your plate were great. Now I have confidence to paint a few plates I have hesitated about. Thanks for the boost.

Carry Grace said...

I can't believe it worked!

Tara said...

Rhoda

It looks great!

Celia said...

Wow - that Goof Off worked very well (you too Rhoda!). What a pretty plate!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you get 50 points for getting all the paint off!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I would have never believed all that paint would come off. I LOVE it. So pretty, and I probably won't paint any milkglass, especially after seeing all the work you went to getting it off. Love it on the wall. Great job. I can't wait to see the granite all done. It's such a thrill, I am really happy for you. Hugs, Marty

Amanda said...

well Im just glad to know that you can "un-do" these things. I loved the bunny but I have to admit I love the plain plate even better- less is more :-)

Kelly Bergsing said...

How beautiful!! I actually collect milk glass. It is so simple and clean. It reminds me of a vintage farmhouse. It is nice to know that if you paint it, it can be removed. I loved the bunny and might be tempted to do that some day, too....!! :) I am so excited for you about your granite!! After we move I plan on doing granite counters, too!!!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I think milkglass is beautiful. I don't have any; no place to put it, anyway.) Your plate is gorgeous with the pretty cut-out details. Great with your white collection.

So happy for you that your granite is in!

akawest said...

Enjoying the decoupage, and now the plain plate, was pure genius. You got two completely different looks out of one item.

Enjoy the granite in good health, Rhoda.

Deserae said...

I can't wait to see your new granite countertops!!! I bet they are gorgeous :o) I once painted a HUGE ornate mirror with chalkboard paint. It looked fabulous in my dining room but one day I decided to move it to my living room and restore it back to a mirror. I won't even tell you how long it took me to scrape the paint off but it was a VERY long time! LOL...Your plate looks great in your dining room!
~Des

Christina said...

Wow, that was quite a job, but it looks great with your new lighter color palette.

Look forward to seeing your granite. How exciting.

We've Got Scents said...

Your counter tops are beautiful. I am thrilled for you!
You sure are making me want to collect white dishes:)
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Unknown said...

I guess that would be called unspray-painting. Such a lovely plate.

Kathi said...

Great job on the paint removal.
You[ve got me reconsidering my plan to paint my armoire. Think I'll go ahead and hope I never change my mind!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! I'm amazed you were able to get all of the paint off that plate! It's very pretty and congratulations on your scrubbing! :P
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Hey Rhoda,
Just got back from the grocery store and wanted to let you know that Blue Bell makes an ice cream called "Southern Hospitality". I haven't had it, but it sounds yummy! You should so go get that ice cream!!

g.suzie said...

I can't wait to see your granite pictures. I have new respect for 'Goof Off' now after reading your latest post!

midnight macaroons said...

Wow, looks fantastic. I can't believe what a transition a little paint can make. I have a wardrobe I'm thinking of painting and would love your input. I posted it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

NOW ya tell me! (LOL!)

Dawn said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I can't believe it's the same plate! Beautiful!

Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

Sandra said...

What a pretty plate!! Wow! You did a great job cleaning it! It looks great on the wall!
Blessings,
Sandra

~Amy Rose said...

Can't wait to see your granite!! And the milk glass looks beautiful! I am wanting to switch to white too! Love your BLOG!!

Blessings,
Amy

Maureen said...

What is it we've been saying all these years? It's only paint! I love it! Wanted to wish you a happy granite day! Can't wait to see the end results!

Adie said...

I laughed when I saw your plate because I've been wondering about all this furniture painting I see all over blogland. How many painters will regret their decision in a few years? Getting white paint (or black, or red) out of the grain of fine wood will probably be almost impossible. So I haven't yet painted my oak armoire, but I would really like to!

Picket said...

Hey girl....I am so happy for you getting your new countertops!!!! Can't wait to see them...love that you turned the plate back to the original.....it is gorgeous and yes I have painted many a things and then later wish I hadn't!!!! lol I hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day weekend girl!

Anonymous said...

This is the reason my dh won't let me paint our wood cabinets. He thinks I'll want wood again someday. Jen

susan said...

You should have called this "The Plate That Lead Two Lives"! They e certainly are different and each style filled its purpose at the time. Hope you are happy with your granite and have a happy Mother's Day!

Mindy said...

What a tedious task! But, hey, the plate has had a couple lives in your house now. Fun! ~Mindy

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Holy cow, what a job to uncover that milkglass! But it is beautiful! Either way, you had a pretty plate!

Rose said...

LOL Rhoda that is exactly something I would have done! lol That is too funny! Just happy you were able to get the paint off. I am so afraid I am going through a paint phrase in my life right now and worry one day I will regret painting my wood furniture AND my cabinets that I plan on painting soon.
I missed your garden party yesterday but saw it late last night. So today I posted pix on my blog of my garden. Come on over and check them out.

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Oh my goodness, my stomach just did a flip flop seeing a milk glass plate with paint all over it! I think I'm recovered now. lol It was cute but I'm glad you restored it. It's a great plate!
~Michelle

the undomesticated wife said...

Wow, I can't believe it came off! Awesome!

Jenny said...

Wow! You are so patient to get all of the paint off of that plate! It is beautiful!

I can't wait for pics of your granite!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Wow - it looks as good as new! I can't believe you got all the black paint off. I think it has finally stopped raining here so hopefully I can join your garden party a little on the late side!

Fifi Flowers said...

That plate painting looks great!

Angie Seaman said...

Girl, you amaze me. I'm astonished! You are so gifted in all that you do. You also have a gift for patience. Ha ha! I don't know that I could have taken the time scrub out all the paint from the crevices with toothpicks. Both looks to the plate were gorgeous and the white looks stunning again! Ammmaaazzziiinngggg!

Also, you signed my blog and mentioned guest blogging. Do you ever do that on someone else's blog? If so, I'd be honored to have you guest on mine once we return from vacation. Let me know if this is something you do or would be interested in doing. I'd be in seventh heaven if you did. :) No pressure or anyting. Ha ha! And ps...I'm humbled and flattered at the thought that you would have even contemplated having me on yours. You are such a sweetheart.

Blessings, Angie Seaman
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com
www.agdprayerblog.blogspot.com

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, girls! I hear you on painting wood furniture & cabinets. Here's my philosopy on painting oak especially. I'm sure some folks might regret if they've painted something really nice (like cherry or mahogany). Most of the things I've painted are not a pretty colored wood. I've got some OLD oak that I would never paint. The NEW oak that is out there in kitchens & newer furniture though...I don't have a problem painting that at all. I'm just not a fan of new oak & don't think I will ever be, so I say PAINT THOSE OAK CABINETS.

Anna Marie said...

Wow, I can't believe you got it all off. I imagine that took a while. Funny you should mention milkglass...I recently listed a compote that matches that same plate in my Etsy shop ;) Have a beautiful day, Rhoda and God bless you!
~Anna

Unknown said...

That is so pretty! I agree with being careful. I bought a beautiful mirror last weekend, and I am waiting to paint it for fear that I will change my mind. Most things I don't think twice about, but this one......well it's made me a little uneasy. The frame is beautiful as is. However, my "trademark" move is to shower it with spray paint. Sometimes you should just leave things alone. Now, if I can just decide if this is one of those times.......

Chelsey said...

wow, cant believe you got that to come off! My grandmother passed this same dish down to me along with a smaller size to match. it is one of my favorite cake plates.

Melissa's Thoughts said...

You are so brave. How long did it take to get that paint off.

Natalia said...

You never cease to amaze me, Rhoda!

:D

Becca said...

Thanks for the daily inspirations!
There are so many talented and creative blogs it was hard to pick just a few!
I have nominated your wonderful blog for an award.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hysterical Rhoda!
I can't tell you how many things lately I have been undoing and redoing from the past.

And milk glass? I can't remember either of us giving it a much attention 8 or 9! years ago. Now I look all over for it.
Love the "new" plate.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Adding Goof Off to the list...AMAZING !!!

Get yourself some Depneds LOL I am so happy for you, I know when I got my granite I sat and stared at it, I tend to do that with my things !!

Happy Mother's day Rhoda,
Kathy :)

momof3girls said...

you are so clever and talented! What a great idea to use goo off!

Carolyne said...

Thank Goodness you finally came to your senses!
I have that same plate. As I read this post my mouth was gaping open as I gasped, "Oh, no!."
My honey, not understanding why I was so shocked, thought something had happened to one of the kids! It took a few minutes to explain it all to him.
I *am so relieved* that your beautiful cake plate is finally as it should be.
(((hugs))) Carolyne

cotedetexas said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny!!!!!! less is more, isnt' that what they always say?????? a new plate!!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Dang!!!!! You got good mileage out of that little plate, didn't you? That's sooo funny! I had a collection of plates exactly like that......this might be a bit hard to explain, but I put ribbon (pink, of course) around the plate, sort of like you'd put a belt on it??....tied a big bow in the front and used the back of the ribbon to hang it on the nail. I hung quite a few in a group......so dang cute! I did more of an "empire" look than actual waist, if you know what I mean???

Hugs!
Spencer

Katie said...

I loved it before (: I would have bought that from you, I love it. I like the white also.. You are so talented.

Jennifer said...

this is too funny. so far I haven't regretted painting anything, but I do have a pile in the "still deciding" phase :)

but if the black and the bunnies worked for you at the time, who cares what's under it?!