Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Before and After: Painted White Nightstand

IMG_5536

How about another makeover?

This pretty cherry finish nightstand used to be in the beachy guestroom, until I found that neat round table from TJ Maxx that I painted the top black and put in there. I picked this piece up somewhere at an antiques store and can’t even remember exactly where I found it in Atlanta, but it has served me well in a guestroom over the years. But, now it’s time to change it. I had a spot in mind in the master bathroom that I just knew it would look great and replace another little piece that was in there.

IMG_5542

So, this one got a new coat of paint. All I did to prepare it was wipe it down with some of my liquid sander. Deglosses the wood and gets it ready to paint. Sprayed with white spray paint and did several light coats.

I actually used some yardsale paint that I picked up for about 50 cents for 2 cans. Just enough for this project. It was by Krylon, Living Color in Ivory and was just perfect for what I needed. I’ve also used Porcelain by Valspar brand and it’s a good one too, as well as Heirloom White which is used all across blogland. It was a little too perfect, so I decided to shabby it up just a bit. (this carpet is not pink, it just photographs really strange every time. It’s a beigy color)

IMG_5548

Got out some sandpaper and hit the edges and the detailed molding to take off the paint and get down to the bare wood in a few spots.

IMG_5549

Then I got out some Cherry stain and hit those spots with a Q-tip, just to darken and age it slightly. Wiped off excess stain right away.

IMG_5535

And here’s where it will go, replacing this wicker and iron stand that I’ve had for ages.

IMG_5612

Cute, huh? I really like how it looks in here against the blue walls.

IMG_5608

That basket was found at Homegoods and matches my bedroom paisley fabric. Perfect for holding the hair dryer and flatiron, headbands, clips, brushes. Wish I had another plug in here, but it is what it is, so I keep it plugged in all the time.

IMG_5611

So, instead of getting rid of this piece, I just moved it up and gave it a facelift. And it’s just perfect for me now! I put my wash cloths in the drawer and I can stack a couple of towels underneath.

IMG_5609

Do you have anything that needs a facelift?

IMG_5610

In just a couple of hours, it can be done and you’ll be enjoying a whole new look.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

95 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Great paint job! What is that "liquid sander" that you used?
I could get more projects started with a product like that!

~ Jan

jfhamill@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I love liquid sander! So much easier to do that way. Let's see...I'm sure I have some bits of furniture that I could make over : )

Kammy said...

Love your re-do ! I need to replace some tables in my house too and always looking....
Fabulous thrifty re-do !
Hugs ~ Kammy

duchess said...

That turned out cute & it's in the perfect spot.

randee said...

do i have anything that needs a facelift? hah! ME!

that looks great, the extra added detailed touches make a world of difference, don't they?

blessings -
randee

Tammy518 said...

I love your nightstand redo. Please tell us more about this liquid sander. We've got a couple of pieces to paint, and are always looking for great tips like this.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls, I talked about Liquid sanders here:

http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/05/inspiring-update-painting-furniture.html

It's just a product that you can find at Home Depot or Lowes, a liquid that you wipe on furniture, let it sit till dry to the touch & then it's ready to paint (usually about 10 min.). There are different brands, so just get one of those, they should all do the same thing. The bottle will say liquid sander OR deglosser. There's a pic of one in that post I linked.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I was looking at the fresh white paint and thinking I would take some of that off...lol You never get it wrong...5*

Vanessa Greenway said...

Wow! Rhoda, you have a done a great painting job! That inspires me... soon I'll be painting my nightstands white. I love the distressed technique you used too. So beautiful!!

Judy said...

I ran out yesterday and got some of the Ivory spray paint but still need to go get some of the Heirloom White...I love that color.

The nightstand looks great in your bathroom. I'm going to take a look at my mom's old nightstand I was telling you about and see about repurposing it.

I enjoyed our outing last Friday (as always) and have been super busy since I got home. I hope we can get together again before Christmas (ha ha)!

Love ya,
Judy

Lovely Little Nest said...

That table is too cute! It fits perfeclty in your bathroom :)

Sara F. said...

I love how you are always changing little things in your home. I am guilty of leaving things the same for years. I'm working on it, though!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, you did a beautiful finish job on that piece. I must confess that I thought it was beautiful in its original condition, but I know how we all get tired of things. It really is gorgeous and improved! You certainly do have a professional technique going on there. Good job! Linda

Joy Tilton said...

Rhoda, so glad I found you over at Confessions of a Plate Addict (I think!). You have a great blog with many ideas! I'm going to do a post soon on favorite bloggers who are Fantastic at finding bargains. That would be you! May I mention your blog and post the picture of this table?
joy c. at grannymountain

Frugal Jen said...

That looks great!

Leslie said...

At first I was thinking "oh no! she's going to paint that beautiful piece" but it turned out great! Love the way you roughed it up a bit.

We've Got Scents said...

Great job, the table looks terrific! You are something else.
Thanks for sharing some great tips!
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Kathi said...

I have a whole housefull of furniture that needs to be painted!
Thanks for the liquid sander tip.
I've been dreading having to sand everything! Your table looks great! Love the wall color too!

Magic Brush said...

Yes...."I" need a facelift. Botox, chemical peel, etc. hahahaha

Your table looks wonderful!!! Love the idea of the stain on a qtip!

Kimberly Wright said...

That looks fantastic! I am getting so many great ideas from this blog!

SJ said...

I love how your table turned out!

May I ask where you got the roman shade in your bathroom? I've been looking for something similar.

Thanks!

Jeanne Oliver said...

Love how it turned out and the stain idea is great!

Robin Lambright said...

Does anything around here need a fa elift, talk about a loaded question.

The night stand make over is amazing. I am a frequent Goodwill shopper and I am always on the look-out for things I can re purpose like that. I have two bar stools as well as a bakers rack that I found and cleaned up/painted and am now using in my kitchen.

Blessings
Robin

Kristi said...

Great timing on this post for me! I finally bought my first bottle of liquid sander and my first project will be my sewing cabinet. It is old and the stain on the wood is quite worn. My plan is to strip it and paint it an off-white, but no distressing as this is a more contemporary looking piece and I have a very modern chair that I use. Hope this goes well because I have plans to redo our kitchen table and then bathroom cabinets! You have inspired me for quite some time and I'm finally going to take the plunge into repainting!!

Anna said...

love this makeover. I have an old desk of the same style that would probably look so much better with a fresh coat of paint

Tricia said...

Very nice work Rhoda! I've been on a major paint-distressing and antiquing kick for the past few months and will have to try your tips about the liquid sander and staining afterwards.

Tricia

Joy Tilton said...

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll send you a link when I post the story...
joy c. at grannymountain

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Wow, my husband would absolutely freak out if I were to paint "cherrywood"! Looks good white though in your home!

Dawn said...

That looks amazing! I absolutely love it!

Melody said...

I love it...great job and great suggestion

HMaas said...

Looks great - I wish my house was a bit bigger and I could get the opportunity to remake items like you - I really get inspired. Thanks

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
It turned out so well! I want to try something like this in the worst way, but am so nervous about it. Everything I touch turns out awful! I have a few things to practice on, so I think I'll get up the nerve to do that. Is the Heirloom white color by Valspar, too?

Nancy

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow, Rhoda! That looks really great! I love the way you distressed it. Thanks for the tips. I've got a few "too perfect" white pieces I'd like to soften some. I never thought about gel stain...so much easier to control! Thanks...Debbie

Farmgirl Paints said...

Thank you for that tutorial. I will definitely use it as a reference in the future. The distressing part is always the part that "stresses" me:)

Have a great day.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

I need to get me some of this liquid sander. I've rad about it several times, and well, I'm just plain tired of sand paper. Your little table looks cute in the bathroom :)

Chaos Cottage said...

Rhoda, Does the liquid sander have a strong odor to it? Can you use it indoors?

Pam

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great piece. It looks perfect painted white. Such a lovely piece in the bathroom. Love it. Hugs, Marty

The Pottery Shed: Thrifty finds at beautiful prices. said...

That looks great! It's amazing what you can do with paint.

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Suck my breath away ... awesome renewing of a gorgeous table. Love it! TTFN ~Marydon

grannyann said...

I love what you did with the night stand!! Thanks for the step by step technique you used. Different people do things differently and it is fun to see how each one does theirs.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Lovely piece Rhoda!

Now, I'm going to offer you a heads up on something that happened to me. I had an old blowdryer that was seeing it's last days. I too kept it plugged in all the time. One day I was just in my bathroom and something caught my eye. My blowdryer was GLOWING on it's own! Not turned on! Then it started smoking. Oh my gosh... I quickly unplugged it. That was a fire in the making and very scary. I'm sure glad I happened to be home at the time AND in the same room!

So what did I do? Bought a new one and keep it plugged in because the plug is hard to reach! Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to unplug it today after I use it. LOL

Donna

Angie said...

Looks so fresh and kinda beachy. Perfect for your blue bathroom!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Girl...you are SO talented...and you SO inspire me!

I'm going to bookmark this post..so I have a reference for when I find the perfect table/side table that I've been looking for.

I SO love what you did. :-)

NicNacManiac said...

Love it....gotta get me some of that liquid sander!!
Nerina :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Rhoda! Looking good in her white distressed shabbyness! Are those words?....Anyway I need to get myself some of that liquid sander and redo some chairs. Oh the lazy days of summer.~

paintergal said...

All right! Another fab project that got the Rhoda touch.
It looks great.
I am concerned about you leaving those appliances plugged in all the time, though.
Things can overheat so easily and start a fire. Just want you safe, Rhoda!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That table turned out great! I can't believe you did it with spray paint. Looks good in that spot too!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I love the rope detail on it and this little table was meant to be painted white!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Patricia said...

Really nice makeover!
I am currently on the hunt for 2 small mismatched nightstands that I can paint
Maybe this weekend I will get lucky!

Jenny said...

The table looks perfect in your bathroom! Great transformation!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Another great job my friend...I always love coming by here and getting me some great ideas...thanks for sharing,,,may you have a great day...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

After reading your blog, I never look at an old piece of furniture the same way any more. It just amazes me how you transform each piece that you do. That white nightstand is beautiful!!! I told my walking partner about your blog and she did her old coffee table and it looks amazing! She painted the top black and the legs off white and distressed the edges, etc. and it looks awesome! She is so excited with it. Thanks for the inspiration. Love & blessings from NC!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

It looks great! I think I will try that liquid sander stuff when I paint my living room tables.

marmielu said...

Very cute! Good use of "recycling". Thanks for the tip about liquid sander. I had forgotten I meant to buy some, but will be going to Lowe's this weekend anyway. Enjoy your new piece. It looks great where you have it.
Mary Lou

Barbara Jean said...

Rhoda,
what a difference that made!!
I love it!
Have a couple of pieces at the store i would like to do.

Anyone know where i can get more time? =0)

blessings,
barbara jean

Barbara Jean said...

me again. I've never heard of 'liquid sander'. will have to give that a try.

what about priming??
I've heard horror stories about not priming and paint comes off.

I do suspect you are an ecperienced painter, and i sure would not mind 'no priming!"

=0)

KM Studios said...

you know , I was going to say that I wished you had left just the top and that braided piece that goes across the front in its natural wood...kida block them out 7 then go to yuor painting...but seeing it in its environment I think it looks superb!!!
Youve got a great eye!!

Steph said...

Great makeover. It really pops against those blue walls, which I love too.

Kelli said...

Facelift? Me-ha, ha!! The table looks so fresh and clean. Love, love, love it!!!

Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow said...

Completely and utterly stunning :)

Anonymous said...

It looks like a different table now, Rhoda. You gotta love the liquid sand too. That stuff works great and it has saved my but so many times.

I don't where I saw that idea for using stain in the crevices of furniture, but I did that to a chalkboard back in March and it really turned out old looking. I didn't think to use a q-tip though. I was using a small brush.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Lovely!! :) I really like how you used the stain to age the details.

Anonymous said...

Stunning! It was gorgeous in cherry, just as beautiful painted. And, I like how you shabbied it up a bit...gave it a lot of character. I'm not one for white at all, but what you did to that little table is beautiful.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Yep...got a whole garage full of projects waiting to be spruced up and given new life. Now if only those kiddos would give me back some of my time, i could actually get some of them done!

Love what you did with that cute table. The color is perfect and so is the distressed touch you gave it.

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Love the color up against the blue walls. You did a fabulous job with it ;o)

Chiki Cottage said...

You did an awesome job. It looks awesome. It looks so shabby, just like I love.

joyh82 said...

looks great.. i really love that basket too.

Sandra said...

Great job Rhoda! I like your tip about using a q-tip to apply the stain. I'll do that next time. I just painted my bed and dresser in white and love it. I'm still debating whether to distress it as well.
Have a nice day!
Sandra

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Everytime I read one of your "redo" posts, I bookmark it! Your ideas are wonderful! I have some old (from grandma) mahogany end tables that actually have antique brass look metal lions heads on the corners! Would I paint right over them or cover them if I was giving them a face lift? I haven't seen anyone else with this type of ornament on furniture from about 1920.
~Nancy

SoBella Creations said...

Love it White! It is amazing how spray paint can transform a piece of furniture.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

KEEEUTE! I love it when a project looks simple and turns out beautiful. Great job. I love that wall color too!
Blessings,
Debbie

Mindy said...

I absolutely used to hate painting wood. But, as you have shown us, sometimes, it can give new life to a piece. Love it! ~Mindy

Unknown said...

It came out very nice. Looks great in it's new home. Love to recycle like that. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I bet it'd look even better if you cleaned off your counter tops. :)

And the fact that you leave your appliances plugged in AND put them in a basket with material really scares me. Plus you have to deal with ugly cords. Put them away! They distract from your beautiful decorations!

abeachcottage said...

it looks fab in there, love the basket too

never heard of liquid sander, I am soooo googling it

Sarah

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Rhoda; wow what a great redo, it looks so different love the color and how you aged it.. It looks so great in your bath. love your blue walls.

Hugs;
Alaura

Richella Parham said...

Way to go, Rhoda! I can just hear people saying, "You can't paint that; it's good wood!" Thank you for giving such a good example of how we need to listen to our own hearts rather than those voices.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Just came over from Daisy Cottage - I'm a total thrift/antique/junk store addict, and can't wait to show off some of my finds every Monday :)

Dee said...

I would just like to say how much I enjoy your blog. You are an inspiration. I love the way you tell each detail of how to do a project including each detail of what went wrong. I don't have a blog, but that just leaves more time to enjoy yours. :)

kelly said...

Love it! Looks cute!

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda...I have a little table just like that that came out of my grandmother's home. I have been wanting to paint it black...never heard of liquid sander, will go pick some up. Great tips as always!
Blessings...

EMBELLISH said...

It looks amazing!

chanteusevca said...

Beautiful table and beautiful paint job, Rhoda. I have a beautiful antique rocking chair with very similar finish as your table that I want to paint white and reupholster. But my husband refuses to agree to me doing it because "It's wood!" Grrrrrr! Where are the men who don't give a hoot about design and decor? This piece is from his family. But it's so ugly the way it is. I just want to make it beautiful and useful in our guest room. Say a prayer for me that he'll change his mind so I can make it as beautiful as you have your table.

~ Victoria in Texas

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

It looks great! It's always wonderful when you can reuse something you already have.
~Michelle

Kelee Katillac said...

looks great rhoda--the edge technique is sooo
practical too!

Stephanie said...

Rhoda, Thank you for directing me to your how-to on the lampshade makeover. I will post photos of the finished product soon.
I love the white nightstand. The extra finishing touches you did on it make it look all the better!

3LittleByrds said...

Looks great in its new place. Your so talented. This liquid sandpaper can be used on cabinets? I'm wanting to paint mine in my laundry room but so hate sanding.

Willoughby said...

Another wonderful project, Rhoda! I wish I had used spray paint on the last project I did. I used latex paint and a brush and roller, instead. I'm not happy with the brush strokes that remain since the paint dried.

French furniture said...

You are a real professional! The result is so much better. It really looks beautiful!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for stopping by this post! And for those of you who were concerned about my dryer staying plugged in...OK, I'm listening & will unplug it from now on! :) I didn't realize it's a hazard, but don't want to take any chances. We do have those pop-up plugs in there though, that shut down if there is a surge.

julie k said...

This looks fabulous! Do you think that liquid sander would work on mdf shelves? I've got a book case from Ikea that I'd like to paint.

Michelle said...

Nicely Done! I'm taking notes so I'll remember how to do this, too. The table turned out beautiful. I would have never thought of doing the edges like that, but I will now. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

What a lovely little table--both before and after the makeover! The distressing was a nice touch!

Jennifer said...

love it's new look!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Looks great, Rhoda! Oh, how I love distressing painted furniture. In fact, I can barely leave it simply painted - must distress...or I stress. :D