Thursday, February 12, 2009

Painting a Round Table

IMG_3675

As much as I love antique pieces, there are some good bargains to be found in the home stores too and with a little browsing, you can find some great deals. Don’t be afraid to paint something if it doesn’t work in its found form. Remember the little round table I found on clearance at TJ Maxx for $60? Super deal! I was going to paint the whole thing black, but after pondering on it, I then decided that I really liked the white base and that a black top would look great in the blue guestroom. So paint it black I did….

IMG_3925

And it’s a perfect little side table in there. IMG_3927

The top is bigger than the smaller little nightstand I did have in there.

IMG_3928

I really like it.

IMG_3933

Don’t you? For a complete look at this room, go here.

I'm busy this week working on the dining room project, and I'll show an update on that very soon! I would kill for some power tools right now. :) But, my sweet hubby is helping me out with cutting the molding today.

Also, here's a news flash! One of my friends in Atlanta sent me the link to the Eddie Ross shopping trip in today's Atlanta paper online. Check it out here! That's me and Judy in the 2nd pic trailing behind Eddie and I'm taking Judy and Eddie's pic in the last shot. And if you missed my recap, read it here. Fun!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

53 friends stopped by:

Kim said...

You and Judy are in the AJC today with Eddie Ross. You're walking behind him and in another shot you're taking Judy's picture. Not sure if you can see the pics online.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

It is just perfect there! I painted a hutch black it came out pretty bad so I never posted it. What kind of black paind did you use? Your table is just so pretty there.
Ginger

Kim said...

If you want a copy, shoot me an email at the address on my profile and I'll send it to you. The picture of you walking behind him is on the front cover of the Living Section and the picture of you taking a picture of Judy is on the second page.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda....I am getting brave and spray painting a few things too. I just painted an old white stool red....and I love it!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your table looks great! Love that you're not afraid to paint something new to get the look you want! Too cute!!

Bonnie said...

Rhoda, your blog is a real inspiration. I am in the process of decorating our new (to us) home. Between your blog, magazines and HGTV - I have some plans of attack. Thank you. I posted a fun quiz on my blog today - it tells how you express love to your family.

Terri Steffes said...

A coat of paint works miracles!

Do you protect the top with shellac or anything?

Anonymous said...

Great table! See I'm not the only one that tables talk to and say "paint my top a different color." Hubs thought I was crazy when I told him our dining room table did that :) Your's looks cute and I love the lamp you did sittin on it.

-Hayley

Sandy said...

Can't wait to see what you're up to in the dining room, Rhoda! ♥

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Rhoda, I love this look. Once again this is very beautiful. Love it all.
Debbie

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Looks great Rhoda! It was the perfect thing to do..
Penny

Teri said...

Rhoda..I am right behind you in my dining room! I have finally finished primer all over that somewhat off-tinted burgundy??? color that was there when we moved in. Two coats of primer gray to cover it all! AND...it was only from the wainscoating on up.. Can you believe it? It now looks light blue-which really isn't all that bad. I am still going forward with the neutral (taupe)stripes in the same color-alternating gloss and matte. The room already looks SO much bigger and brighter. I cannot wait to see what your creative talents have done in your dining room! Shall I wait to go to my next step just in case? :)

sandra/tx said...

I love those little pedestal tables, Rho. Good job!

Amanda Herrold said...

That turned out great!

Lynda said...

It looks great..ideal for that area! Stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning, etc. always have such wonderful bargains. I can never leave without buying something!

Kelley said...

It turned out great. I have a "thing" for black and white. I LOVE the way you put things together too!

Anonymous said...

Very cool to be in the paper, Rhoda ... congrats! You and Judy both look so perky for being up so early, makes me want to get up that early myself to see if there's any magic in it :o)

Love you black table. I have a larger one that I'm just fixin' to paint, any day now, for my breakfast room. I am totally falling in love with black lately, and can't wait to complete the reno I'm doing on my kitchen. So many cabinets to paint in my house, sigh ... and I want 'em all black!

Hugs,

Victoria

Unknown said...

I love the black toile and blue room combination. Really fresh! The table looks great.

Sherri said...

The table looks AWESOME in your room! Now, I am going to Scott's Market THIS weekend! I am so excited, will be my first time. So any HINTS?????????

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, you found it! That's exactly what I need for our master suite!!(times 2).

Unknown said...

Love the table, it works perfectly in your guest room.

Maureen said...

Love the table ( love anything black and white, really!) Have missed you, and wow, have you been busy. I am not online often so have missed a ton of your posts! Looks like the blog event was amazing!

Joy said...

Pretty table!
I've been working on a table very similar to yours that I found thrifting. I'm posting pics tomorrow.

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Looks great Rhoda! Another success story!

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda the table and room look great!! The Author Mary Kay Andrews went on a shopping trip with Eddie a few weeks ago to get things for her Tybee Island Beach House!She said she had a ball with him!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions you share....you are SO CREATIVE!!! Linda

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

You & your paint brush worked magic again!! Love it!

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Can you give some details about
painting the top of the table?
I'm going to paint my table in
breakfast room and wonder if I
need to use liquid sandpaper or
primer over the wood finish.
what did you do?

Runner Mom said...

This looks great, Rhoda! I love that fabric-by the way! Did you sand the table first?

Blessings,
Susan

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Rhods, your little table looks fabulous painted black on top. I love the lamp you have on it also and the bedding in the black and white. Such a pretty room. Hugs, Marty

Tami said...

The side table looks wonderful....love it!

Have a great night!
T

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Ladies, I hope you come back to see this. All I did to this table was take it outside, put paper around the bottom to mask off the paint & I used my black satin spray paint & gave it 2 light coats letting it dry in between. The tabletop was not shiny, so didn't need sanding. That spray paint does wonders on small projects like this. Fast & easy!! And a nice even coverage. No sanding! And no poly on top of it either. It should hold up fine.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Nancy, also I think it really depends on what kind of finish you have on your table. If I was doing a table to eat off of & wanted to be sure it holds up well, I'd say to lightly sand it, possibly prime it too & then roll on 2 coats of paint. I know many girls also put on a couple of coats of poly to protect table tops too, but most of my projects have been side tables that don't get a lot of abuse. Definitely lightly sand, prime, 2 coats of Satin or Semi-gloss & possibly 2 more coats of poly for protection. I use spray paint for small projects, but for a large tabletop, you'll be better off rolling with a small foam roller.

I've found that if you spray a large piece of furniture, you can usually see the overlap marks which is not so pretty.

Hope this helps!

Barb said...

It looks great,good job....Barb

imjacobsmom said...

Your table looks great! What a bargain - only $60! I think that the black was the needed touch! I also spot an insulator. My son collects them. He has so many he also figured out a way to make them into pendant lights. ~ Robyn

Jadehollow said...

I love it! I just love the black on furniture now. I'm in the process of painting all of my old pine pieces black now. I plan on posting a piece each week on my blog for Susan's Morp Mondays..Hopefully you'll get a chance to stop by and take a peek.
~Debbie

Kari said...

That is too cute and what a perfect place for it. And a good price for it to boot!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

You're right it is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Found you while meandering around blog pics of Blissdom, you were in soooo many! Thought I'd visit!
I love the table, it's darling as a nite-stand!Happy Friday!
~Robin Rane'
~All Things Heart & Home~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the above help. I love
reading your blog and getting
inspiration to tackle my projects.
When are you making the Flea Market
trek in B'ham?

Lindy said...

Rhoda, I love the glass power pole topper on the nightstand. My grandmother had a bunch of them (my great uncle worked for Georgia Power) and she would bake them in the oven and they would get a really pretty crackle effect. They were still solid, just a different look. She used them as paperweights and accent pieces. Very pretty. I'll have to send you a picture of what they look like crackled. Beautiful table, but the way. You are so very talented. I framed my bathroom mirror last week and it looks great! Thanks for the inspiration. I love your blog!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Super Fabulous!
-Jill

Liz Harrell said...

It looks perfect! And especially with that glass insulator as an accessory. I love those things!

Ms. Tee said...

It turned out so cute - love it! How fun that you're in the Atlanta Journal - I'm off to go see. :)

Anonymous said...

That little table is perfect for that spot. I too love the white legs and think it's just perfect. Wish I lived closer cause I sure would be a tag along on that trip.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda~
Cute table. I still love the mixed finishes and it looks great in your room!
Have a great weekend,
Donna

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

You know how I love to paint things Rhoda! Good job lady. It looks fabu with your awesome lamp!
~Misti

Anonymous said...

Your blog, projects and ideas are all so inspiring! I'm so glad I discovered your bloggy dose of creativity! Thanks!

Helen said...

Yes, yes ... the table is fantastic and makes the room even more charming ... good job AND thank you for the helping hints.

Sharon said...

Oh,this just gave me ideas! Your table looks great. Do you use an particular kind of paint?

Anita said...

Wow- the table just looks great there. You did a super job!

Anita

Kim Hancock said...

Great deal on the table and I love how it turned out.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Perfect! I love that you left the base white...I think it works quite well in the room, and really makes the top stand out nicely. Brava!