Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Online Inspiration Boards

I recently finished up an Inspiration board for an online client in Tennessee. She sent me pics of her familyroom and asked me to come up with a plan for the room, using some of what she already has and adding some freshness to the room. The plans are to remove the paneling and add drywall to this room. The trimwork will remain stained. She wanted a warm and cozy, but colorful feel to the room. And she sent me this link to a space on Rate My Space as her inspiration. After looking at those pics, I knew the direction I'd go with color and that I would modify her plan with a little more casual feel for her room. She gave me ideas on colors and what she likes as far as artwork, including barn stars and bird pictures.

Her sofa will stay, as will the coffee table and end tables, but when I completed the Inspiration board, I added in elements including furniture, lamps, accessories, artwork, and rugs that I thought would work in the space. My Inspiration board was done in Polyvore, which has been fun to play around with. You can save all the items that are found online to a file and then build a board with them. Then I was able to send her the boards and she could see exactly where each item came from.
She's got great hardwoods in here so a nice large area rug will really pull the room together.
And with a large brick wall to work around too, we'll keep that in mind when choosing paint colors. So, with all that in mind, I came up with 2 Inspiration boards for her to look at and get some ideas on which way to take this room. I sent her a detailed document of room arrangement ideas, as well as which items to concentrate on getting first. Her budget is limited at the moment, but hopefully she can bring in a few things at a time and get this room going in the direction she and her family will love and enjoy. After I sent her the Inspiration boards and the detailed comments, she sent me back a note saying:

I love, love, love the suggestions you made!
That said it all for me. To get your own personalized Inspiration Board, click here for options. Click on the Inspiration boards below to open them up for all the details on where each item came from. I used a look-alike sofa picture to mimic her existing sofa for the boards. And since she is going to keep her coffee table and end tables, I suggested that she stain them darker.

Rustic Familyroom
Rustic Familyroom - by Rhoda12 on Polyvore.com






Stumble Upon Toolbar

35 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I love what you did here. I've been wondering how to create "my" look and save it all in one place.
Off to polyvore.com to check it out!

Mary said...

I love the 2nd picture rug with the drapes. The walls painted just with those two items would certainly make the room much more cheerful. You did a great job!

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a great tool! You gave her some wonderful advice!

I hear it takes a bit of time to do up these boards. Did you find it time consuming?

Sweetie said...

Well done! Beautiful ideas to get the room where she wants to go!

Anonymous said...

Great idea Rhoda. I am wondering the amount of time it might take to put together a board. I do this sort of thing with almost every project, only using poster board, paper and fabric instead of virtual. I'd love to be able to do virtual type boards. I did use a bit of virtuality with the present project, but not this involved.

southerninspiration said...

Those ideas look great....did she not think about painting the paneling? We had a house in which the owners had painted the paneling a greenish blue, and I loved it! anyway, either way it will look great!
Suzanne

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

This turned out great! I love those chairs!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I love your suggestions! I really like the striped chairs and ottomans.

I haven't really played around with polyvore before, but I think I need to. It seems helpful to see it all laid out like that.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how that all turns out. You chose lovely colors and styles. That's such a talent. I looked at the pictures and drew a blank. I have to live in an area and let things evolve. When I start with a plan, it always morphs into something totally different. LOL

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great job, Rhoda! :-)

XO,

Sheila

CMB said...

Love what you picked out for her...I am with Suzanne @ Southern Inspiration about painting the paneling I think it would look great in that room (and be easier on the budget). I have played around with polyvore but I am technically challenged and felt like i was using too much time...are there any secrets for using it you could share?

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Love the colors. I have paneling in my living room (we built our home in the 70's) and have painted it several times. It is now a dark gold color and I like it but I am thankful it is the only room in our home that does have it. I really like what you have done and I especially like family Rm. # 1. Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are fixing to have some fun! I know how much I love to create a room I could only imagine how much fun it must be without spending a dime and knowing you are making someone Happy.Cant wait to see how it will turn out.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Suzanne, I did suggest she paint the paneling, but they are doing some minor changes to a closet in here & had already planned to change out all the paneling to drywall.

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

I too thought about just painting the paneling. Love your ideas though!

Anonymous said...

can't wait till she lets us all
see how the room turnes out.
This was fun to read and see
your ideas.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Love both options! I especially like the striped chairs.

Judy said...

I just recently found out about this Polyvore site and I'm anxious to try it out. I'm going to check it out after I get back from Mexico.

Have a great week!
Judy

Anonymous said...

I love polyvore! It is really nice to be able to get the things you see at target and put them in a room with higher end items to make a nice mix. I love that someone can click on the item to buy it.

Wendy said...

I just love looking at inspiration boards. Thanks for the post!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

What great ideas! That is a fastastic tool. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love your ideas for her room!! I haven't checked out Polyvore yet, I might have to now!

Amanda Herrold said...

Those were great ideas! She will have to send an after picture so we can see how it turned out.

Joanna said...

Oh my Rhoda, you did a fantastic job. That is so awesome!

So when will you be in my area? I'd love to hire you to help me out. *smiles*

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! What a great idea and I love what you've chosen for your client! On Monday I posted our den - lots of old dark paneling and our makeover. I would like to try this virtual board for my living room. You come up with the greatest ideas!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Heathahlee said...

I have wanted to get on Polyvore since Nester posted about it. This just makes me want to get into it more! Beautiful suggestions!

Runner Mom said...

What an awesome job you did! Great ideas! I LOVE those window treatments!! Can't wait to see the after shots.

Going to go back to your posts and try to find the one on painting on laminate furntiure!

Hugs,
Susan

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

Your idea's are great & well thought out. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Your bloggy conference seemed like a blast! Wish I were there. Once again I have to say, Lady, you can't take a bad picture! :-)

xoxo
Jane

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Wow - So cool!
What a difference the new pieces make to the feel of the room!
missy

Unknown said...

I love those inspiration boards, something on my list to try!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I've been an admire of yours for awhile!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Look great Rhoda!

join me tomorrow for thrity thrusday, if you can.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hi Rhoda~ Officially a follower now, don't know what took me so long! Love your inspiration boards. I just ordered new design software and I am ITCHING to play! I really need to check out this Polyvore stuff, never been there. Thanks for sharing her room will look awesome!
~Misti

Lori Bee said...

Fabulous ideas!!! Rhoda, I actually purchased 2 of the mission chairs and otto from JCP for my son last summer. The quality and comfort was amazing. I was really pleased. :) Lori

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, how do you stain furniture darker, do you have to strip it first? I have heard of doing this before but am unsure how to do it. You have such a great decorating sense. Thank you.

Peggy

Anita said...

I have those drapes- are they from Country Curtains??? I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. You did a great job here.

Anita