Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bogue’s Restaurant

TH March 05

Back in 2005, long before I knew we’d be moving to Birmingham, I picked up my beloved Traditional Home magazine, the March 2005 issue and opened it up for a browse. This issue featured homes, gardens, and places to visit all in Birmingham. I quickly fell in love. I read every bit of the articles talking about Birmingham, loved all the homes, and had no idea that I’d be living here one day very soon. Turns out, it was the end of that year when we moved over here from Atlanta. Thank goodness I like to hang onto magazines. When we did decide to move, I picked the magazine back up and scoured that article over and over. One place that I decided I’d love to visit was this restaurant recommendation, called Bogue’s. It took me awhile to visit the original location, but I did when I was working a couple of years ago. We all went there for lunch one day. It was good Southern cooking. I sure was looking forward to the sweet rolls that were bragged on in the Traditional Home article (above) and wouldn’t you know it, they were completely OUT that day. That was the one and only time I had been to Bogue’s.

IMG_5109

So, imagine my glee when driving down Hwy. 280 recently, I saw what was going in on OUR side of town but another Bogue’s, a tradition since 1938, as you can see from the sign. They cook up breakfast and lunch Southern style. Peter and I hit it for breakfast recently and were not disappointed.

IMG_5111

We both got the veggie omelet with hashbrowns and biscuits.

IMG_5113

It was all delish! We’ll definitely be going back. But the best part is….we ordered 1/2 dozen sweet rolls to go.

IMG_5112

And it’s a good thing we ordered them first, because the waitress brought them out in a to-go box and told us that we got the last of the breakfast batch. There wouldn’t be anymore until lunch. We lucked out! And I finally got to taste those sweet rolls that made me want to check this place out when I was first reading that March ‘05 Traditional Home magazine. Sometimes a magazine article just sticks with you! If you get a chance, check out Bogue’s.

And yes, the rolls are heavenly, like homemade cinnamon rolls, definitely worth the wait. And they have a drive-thru, not that I'll be using that or anything. No, not me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

24 friends stopped by:

Patti VZ said...

Those rolls look heavenly...I'm sure they are low in calories too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds wonderful; we will have to give it a try the next time we are in Birmingham.

randee said...

Rhoda - first of all, thank you so much for including me in the burlap wrap up party. to be included with such creative "burlapers" was such an honor. it WAS a lot of fun & i got so many great ideas from you & the others.

i'm leaving town for a week to go to south carolina but when i return do you think i could email you & ask some questions about linking up for parties & for just showing other blogs on mine?

and, one more thing, i want some sticky rolls right now! they look amazing! i can just taste them.

hope you have a great weekend -

blessings -

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oh my! I was not hungry until I saw your post. :) Have a great weekend.
Glenda

Magic Brush said...

Now I am craving me a cinnamon roll...unfortunately they seem to stick right to my hips!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL no you won't be using the drive thru...wink wink :)

I too love that magazine and I know what you mean about an article sticking with you...

I love sticky buns, yum yum but I will just look at your picture and drool LOL

I just got in from a walk...it's really kinda cool here...a year ago it was in the 90's which is a bit early for us to have 90's, but I just love the summer weather and never complain...I do PLENTY of that all Winter !!!

Kathy :)

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Oh Rhoda! You made my mouth water!

Melissa Marie said...

It is a darn good thing I don't live anywhere near the vicinity of this place...those sweet rolls look like they were kissed by angels themselves! ;)

imjacobsmom said...

That's it - I'm no where's near Birmingham, but I have to go out for breakfast! We have a local restaurant here called Key's with the same attributes. That's where I am headed as soon as Jacob gets out of bed...Robyn

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, my dear...that ALL looks just heavenly!! :) I love little places like that. We have a bunch of little old "hole in the wall" diners and restaurants in the historic section of our town that I'd love to try. Thanks for the reminder...when we can go somewhere other than Chic-fil-a (two kids!), we'll go out. :)

Unknown said...

I live in Oxford, AL. I love when you post about places in the Birmingham area. I come through their often and I now plan on checking out some of these places you mention! Thank you!!

Kathi said...

Homemade cinnamon rolls! A drive-thru! I'm there!!!
Where is it???

Amy said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my new kitchen. I, of course, had already stopped by your blog. I loooovvee it. I live in Ga. now, but I am from Birmingham... Leeds to be exact.My family still lives there. I loved living there. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could. I love seeing all your great finds and stores....it is like going back home every time I check your blog!!! By the way.... where is I O metro... is it at the Summit? I have to go the next time I come to visit.

grannyann said...

The breakfast made me so hungry. I love omelets and hash browns. Those kind of restaurants with home cooking are the very best and not enough of them around these days!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm! When's the next flight out to Birmingham? Well, I will be making a BIG BREAKFAST tomorrow. Minus those YUMMY ROLLS! The ROLLS make the breakfast though! Nancy from OHIO

Judy said...

Well, girl, I'm just down the road from you tonight at Shane's. We're babysitting so the "kids" could go out. David's sick so he stayed at Shane's and baby girl and I went to Old Time Pottery, Ross and Home Goods. Also hit up Consigning Interiors on Hwy. 31, ever been there? I could only browse b/c McKinley kept touching
stuff!

We'll be back next Sat. for dance recital and then right back home. If David doesn't come to the recital, I may come up on Fri. and if I do I'll call you beforehand. I'll e-mail you later in the week.

Goodnight!
Judy

KarenB said...

Go ahead, we won't tell. ;-)

Susan said...

Oh, Miss Rhoda! You are fast becoming in-the-know about all the nifty places we have here in the 'Ham! The Bogue's on Southside is just down the street from my FIL's CPA firm--both he and my husband and grew up going there. Sweet rolls....YUM! Love going to breakfast there.

We also have quite a few meat 'n three's here. You should definitely try Niki's West on Finley Avenue (very well-known--google it!). Another good one is Ted's on 3rd Ave and 12th Street S. Don't even get me started on the hotdog joints... :-)

Paula@SweetPea said...

This looks like a place that I would really like! Those sweet rolls really look some kind of good!

akawest said...

They have a drive-thru!!!!! What could be better?

Mary said...

Love cinnamon rolls...if I ever get to your area I'll have lots of great restaurants to check out!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I am so glad that you posted at this. My husband and I are BIG breakfast people and we are always looking for a new place to eat! Thanks!

boracay condo said...

a lovely place to stay,..

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

Gosh, those rolls look heavenly!!!!

Thanks for the London Broil marinade recipe...that sounds good too.

Hugs!
Kat