Thursday, June 4, 2009

Favorite Paint Colors

favoritepaintcolorbutton

I’m joining Melissa over at 320 Sycamore for a paint party today, so I’ll be sharing my favorite paint colors. Since I have many colors in my house, I guess I would have to consider them my favorite, at least for the moment. Like many of you, I’ve been through all sorts of trends with paint colors over the years, but I’ve been really happy with the choices I made in this house. It has not come without trial and error, believe me.

I did a post last year about Choosing the Perfect Paint color, and if you read that, you will notice that I don’t claim to have the perfect paint colors nor is there a sure-fire way to pick the right one, other than that trial and error thing I mentioned above. It sure helps to have blogs out there now so that you can see a paint color in an actual room and know at a glance whether it might be something you could love yourself. So, that has helped me a lot over the years too.

But, one thing I did stress in the above post is this: you must test out a paint color in YOUR home to find out if it will work for you. I have painted over bathrooms 3 times trying to get that “perfect in my head” shade that I was looking for, so just because it looks great on a paint chip OR for that matter, in someone else’s home, doesn’t mean it will work perfectly for you. That’s always my disclaimer with paint when I’m helping someone choose a paint for their space. It can be a tricky process, to say the least. So, if you want more info about choosing paint, read that post from last year for lots more particulars on the subject.

Today, I’m going to share the paint colors in my house and how they’ve worked for me.

Whole Wheat and Antique White

Above: on the left is Sherwin Williams Whole Wheat, which is the main color I’ve used throughout my common area. On the right is the newly painted dining room with Sherwin Williams Antique White. I’ve used 4 colors off that Whole Wheat color strip and it’s worked out very well for our home.

SW Whole Wheat2

Another shot of Whole Wheat. I have really enjoyed this color a lot and it goes with so many fabrics and colors. A nice backdrop for everything.

SW Camelback2

In the upstairs guestbath, I used the darker shade on that strip, Camelback. It has more depth and is a bit darker for this smaller bathroom.

SW Camelback

Another shot of Camelback.

SW Believeable Buff

And downstairs in the den, I used Believable Buff, again on that same color strip by Sherwin Williams. I’d highly recommend this strip.

SW Blonde

In our master bedroom, I used Sherwin Williams Blonde. Sometimes in certain light, it looks really yellow, other times it just has a nice warm glow. It’s worked well with all my fabrics in that room too.

Blonde

Blonde looking out to the livingroom with Whole Wheat. This is with no lights on, so it’s taking on a strange tone in this pic.

IMG_5344

Kitchen has Laura Ashley Olive 4, which I loved so much in my old kitchen, I brought it over here too. It has quite a bit of yellow and I love this color. If you pick up a chip of this and look at it, you will swear it’s not the same color, since the chip looks so drab.

BM Wedgewood Gray

Downstairs guestbath is Ben Moore, Wedgewood Gray. This is the bath that I painted 3 times til I got the right color. Blues can be SO hard to get right. It’s still hard to really capture this color on camera too, as it is not quite as gray as it looks here.

SW Rainwashed2

And the beachy guestroom is painted with Sherwin Williams Rainwashed. It was actually a little more gray than I wanted after I got it finished, since this room gets hardly any natural light, only one window. So I colorwashed over it with an aqua I had around that just gave it a little more brightness. Again, this color is not accurate, it’s more lively than this in real life.

Behr Grasscloth

And, the laundry room is done in Behr Grasscloth (at Home Depot). I’ve really enjoyed this color and added it on one wall of my office nook as well.

Trim colors:

Several have asked me before about my white trim paint. It was here when we moved in and I was not about to change it. I took a small little piece and matched it to Lowes Anthem White and it matches my existing color perfectly. I might have picked a little more creamy white if I was choosing from scratch, but the good thing about a brighter white is, it looks great with any color on the wall and makes color pop out.

Other great trim colors that I've heard about: Sherwin Williams: Dove White

Benjamin Moore: Decorators White, White Dove, Linen White

So, that’s a wrap up of my favorite paint colors. I left out a couple of my rooms, but these are the main ones. So hop on over the party if you are looking to make some paint changes. You may be inspired by a pic to choose a whole new color for your home! I know I sure love to see what a paint color looks like before I even buy a sample. It helps to see the pic and then I always, always recommend buying a sample quart to test it out in YOUR home before you buy a gallon.

Happy painting!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

54 friends stopped by:

marmielu said...

Hi, Rhoda! This is really helpful, as is the other post you did last year. I have one question, though. What white do you use on your trim? There are so many whites, each with their own special undertones.
Thanks,
Mary Lou

Amber Schmidt said...

I LOOOOVE that green!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love your paint choices, Miss Rhoda! :) We have a color very similar to Whole Wheat in most of our downstairs. I love it b/c it is a nice neutral that I can change other things in the room around with, without having "builder's beige" on my walls. :)

Deb said...

Rhoda,
very nice colors..I like the green...

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Wow, really nice colors I love the green and the blue best. I'm glad to hear about the trial and error. Now I don't feel so bad. My husband hates to hear the word "paint". Sorry to say, I think it is time for a change.
Hmmm, what color will be next?????

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Mary Lou, I just went back & edited to include some trim colors, as well as what I have in my house.

Nancy said...

Thanks for this post. It is so
timely for me. I was out last
night looking at color cards
trying to decide what color to
paint kitchen and office. So
now I have lots to think about.

Melissa said...

Rhoda~you give great advice about choosing paint, especially that just because it looks great in someone else's homes doesn't necessarily mean it will in yours! Trim is so hard to get right as well, so thanks for sharing those. The SW whole wheat swatch is a great one, and I love your greens as well! I'm seriously considering the grasscloth in my laundry room. Have a great day and thanks again for the support on my first blog party!! I really appreciate it~

Tonja said...

Is 'Bagel' on that Sherwin Williams strip? Those colors look so similar. And, Bagel is one of my favorites. In this house, we used mainly BM Camoflage...very light green.

To answer your question...I am working on pics to show the house and should have them ready soon. I'll be sure to let you know!

Am loving your blog...you are showing lots of good stuff! Very informative!

Tonja

Shelly said...

Rhoda, I don't know how I missed that gorgeous color in your dining room! I have been considering repainting my kitchen, and that is the color I'm considering. It has only been the green for a year (It was russet red for 6 years!), but it has been on my mind constantly lately. I'm going to show my hubby the post on your dining room tonight and see if he rolls his eyes at me or not! Thanks for the tour. You have great taste in green paint (wink!).

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

This is an interesting and helpful post. I like that you used the Whole Wheat as the back drop for your main rooms. I think too many colors stop the flow of the rooms and if they do not coordinate, every room looks separate and boxy.

Your advice on using several relating colors on the strip is something I just started doing recently... what a lightbulb moment for Blondie!! You just can't go wrong!! ;-)

Thanks again for all of your help!

xoxo
Jane

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love all the paint colors you used, Rhoda. That Wedgewood gray looks very much like the blue I painted my home office, and I really like it. It really is hard to capture the true color in a photo, though. I had trouble finding ones that were accurate representations of what my rooms really look like in person!

Hope you're having a great week! :-)

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Hi Rhoda,

It's such a good idea to use the other colors on a paint chip. The professionals have already done the work for you! :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

what great tips. We are extremely picky about paint here and I will ALWAYS get a sample before I buy a gallon. I am surprised at how many people don't!

aguhmom said...

Rhoda - First of all, a continual thanks for such an informative blog. I don't consider this time
wasted, but rather food for the mind to feather my nest ; which in turn loves my family!

ok- my lr/dr walls are very tall.
it really needs some lovin ;

did you have installed the crown molding & decorative detailing
(what are the pieces in the corners
called?)
hugs and blessings to you for such
a delightful-educational spot.
patti

Jadehollow said...

Rhoda.. That is the second time I've seen the Laura Ashley Olive 4 this morning .. I think I'm in love! Great colors throughout your home.. thanks for sharing.
Debbie

Amanda said...

Ahh! Miss Rhoda! I drool everytime I see pics of your home! Truly a lovely place for a lovely woman. I too have the SW Blonde in my kitchen it also makes me smile when I walk in there. I posted some pics of my living room I finally decided on the Ivoire and LOVE it! I'm going to accent with the waverly black country house toile hope to have that finished soon with some pics.

Christy said...

Thanks for all the great tips on how to choose paint colors. I LOVE the Laura Ashley green color! So pretty!

Unknown said...

Rhoda - Your colors are wonderful. I totally agree with the blue issue. I am still battling the "blues" for my back entrance. I just need to do it and quit worrying if it is the correct one. I can always paint it again. Thanks as always for the knowledge you share.

Charla

aguhmom said...

A great color for a hint of blue is from Serena & Lily called "Air".

Very spa-like -

Mandi Shandi said...

I love all your choices! Such a good tip to operate off of the same color strip, then you know they will coordinate. Thanks for sharing.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Your colors look great, Rhoda, and you are so right... they can be tricky. Light is different in each location. Thank goodness for those itty bitty paint pots from Benjamin Moore! lol!

We used Dunmore Cream by Benjamin Moore in our dining room and kitchen in our getaway. I get lots of compliments on that color. I like it better in winter when light pours in due to trees without leaves. But it's still good in summer, too. The trim we used in our getaway is Super White by Benjamin Moore. I had walls done in that same color in flat. It is true and reflects light well, particularly when you are using bright, true colors or strong pastels in fabrics. I used Philadelphia Cream on walls upstairs, and while I like it, I don't like it with the strong pastels I have. I tend to like more grey and less yellow in colors. I see colors I love, and I probably should ask when I see them. I saw some the other night that were stunning. It was a pale neutral with a hint of yellow, and it made everything and everyone in that room glow.

I've also used Decorators White by Ben Moore for trim in my other house, and it has served well. A friend of mine talked me into an eggshell finish (she's a designer), and I wasn't pleased. I like a semi-gloss finish on paint. Old woodwork has blems, and they really don't bother me. I'm an old house girl, and I think of it as character. She, on the other hand, feels that the lower gloss paints hides more. It does, but to me, it's a little on the lifeless side. She says, Po-ta-toe; I say Po-tat-ta. ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lower gloss paints "hide" more. I just caught the type where I said "paints hides more" and cringed! ;-)

Joanna said...

Love the colors! Your so right, blue is so hard to get right! It took two different shots at our laundry room. We got lucky with Kelsie's room, only because I cheated and used Pottery Barn! *smiles*

grannyann said...

Thanks for the post on the color info. I have a 1930s home and it had wallpaper which I have left since it matches the age of the home. I rent my mom's home and hers is same age as mine and we pulled all the wallpaper off and painted. We have sure had a time deciding on colors over there.

midnight macaroons said...

I really like Whole Wheat. What a stunning color! This post is perfect for me at this present time (trying to figure out what to paint that living room wall). I'm off to read your older post regarding "Choosing the perfect paint color". Thanks again!

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Great information Rhoda! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. I think it is funny that you went with the whole wheat colors because our house has done the same with SW latte family. It's like family and types of cars or hairdressers. When you got a good one - you stick with it!

Sandra said...

I love the colors, Rhoda! I painted my twin boys' room Wedgewood Gray after I had seen the color in one of your posts. I love it! Very calming color!
I'll take pics of all my house colors and join you all. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

What pretty color...very calming to say the least.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, That's really helpful to show paint colors that work. I was in a friend's house who had a large kithen/dining/living room, and because of the difference in lighting of this one large L-shaped room, she painted some walls Whole Wheat and the kitchen Blonde and it looked like it was all the same color! I have used Ben.Moore Dove White and love it. Question: what is your experience (or clients') with seagrass? We are thinking of putting it in our living room (that we really live in). We would be using a good quality from a reputable carpet store along with a pad underneath. Thanks, Linda

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Such lovely colors! Makes me want to paint my house!

Love Being A Nonny said...

This was perfect timing as I am about to redo my foyer. I found what I think is the perfect paint color on one of the links here!! Love this!!
angela

Marie said...

Love, love all the beautiful colors you've used in your home. What an inspiration! I've used an antique white shade but from Behr.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Melissa Miller said...

Gorgeous Rhoda! :)
Love all of your choices and your magnificent home.

marmielu said...

Thanks for that update, Rhoda!
Mary Lou

Jenny said...

Beautiful paint colors! I really like the Wedgewood Gray in the guestbath.

Kasey said...

Beautiful colors! I may try Whole Wheat in my entry. I've got red there now, and it's time for a change!

Julie said...

Love the wheat color too and used it in our farm house...but if we ever build a normal home...I want more pastel colors...like moss greens..

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

You certainly have a knack for picking PERFECT colors. I saved your pix w/ paint color titles for future use at my place.
Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful look at paint colors. We have just put up Sherwin Williams Blonde in our living room and I love it. Like your said, colors do change throughout the day. People need to consider when they use the room the most and see how it looks in that light.
Dawn

Unknown said...

Great post Rhoda! It's funny how many of us have chosen strips of SW colors to coordinate our rooms! I love your choices.

finance jobs said...

i just so love browsing your page.. Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love SW Whole Wheat, that is in my living room and dining room, it is a wonderful warm neutral. Your rooms are gorgeous.

LeAnn:)

Shannon said...

I've used a lot of Blonde in our new house. I picke dit just for the hubs b/c he wanted "yellow." and he says he doens't like it. He really did want crayon yellow! My other choices are Sherwin Williams Rain and Cay.

Maggie Elizabeth said...

I just wanted you to know that I mention you in my blog post tonight! I joined Kelly over at Kelly's Korner for her Show us where you live! I love your blog and so does my mother!! You were her inspiration for her office space!!

abeachcottage said...

g'day Rhoda

nice post, love coming here for inspiration though hmmmm white is the one for me with colour but I love that grey and I have a utility room that I am about to paint and you made me go out there take a look and think about painting a feature wall in a soft grey

pondering...

sarah

Kelly said...

HI Rhoda. Thanks for sharing your colors! Love them all! And your house looks very lovely.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Rhoda ~~ I have to tell you that we are in middle of painting three rooms downstairs and I am having a hard time deciding on colors. I was looking at Whole Wheat and Cardboard and all of the colors on that chip. Ended up choosing Latte, another SW color. Now I need to get a color chosen for the family room. Your home is so inspiring! I love all of the light that you have and the tall ceilings. Gorgeous!

Becky

SoBella Creations said...

I love the wedgewood gray. Thanks for sharing your paint colors.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you girls!

Aguhmom/Patti, hope you stop back by here, I am just getting around to answering all the questions. That's a corbel you see in the pic between DR and LR. I brought those with me and installed them up there with Liquid Nails, then used caulk to fill in around the edges. The crown molding you see was all here when we bought the house, thank goodness!

Chiki Cottage said...

You have awesome colors in your home. I have actually been looking for that grey blue that you have. I was thinking of painting my room that color. Its lovely. Nice taste. Thanks for sharing

A Collector At Heart said...

Rhoda,
I loved your Master Bedroom color so much that I re-did my room in the very same color!! Needless to say, I love it very much! Thank you so much for the inspiration!
Cindy

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Love your colors Rhoda! My kitchen green is very similar. Very refreshing colors!

~Misti

Sweet As Texas Honey said...

The bulk of my main living area is Believably Buff... It is the perfect neutral and it doesn't have the pinky-skin undertone.

One of my favorite blues I used for my master bath and laundry room is Icelandic, by SW. AMAZING color- I get so many compliments on it. It is very crisp and clean, yet very versatile. I have a spa thing going on with it in the bathroom and a beachy feel above white beadboard in the laundry room. If you are every looking for a good blue I highly recommend this one.