Friday, June 12, 2009

Fruity Summer Treat

In case I haven’t told you lately, ya’ll are the BEST readers and bloggers out there. Truly! Thank you all so much who stopped by and for your super supportive comments. No, I’m not letting any negative people get me down! I do what I do because I love it and sharing with all of you is the icing on the cake. No one will stop me from doing that!

So, on that note, I ran across these fruity treats and just had to share with all of you too. Remember growing up, making popsicles out of Koolaid in those plastic popsicle makers, sitting them in the freezer to freeze and then, oh my, what a sweet refreshing treat that was?! Does anyone still have those plastic popsicle things? Weren’t they made by Tupperware? I haven’t seen them in years, have you? We used to put sweet tea in there too. Anyway, here’s the next best thing. I went into Dollar Tree recently when I saw this in their ad:

IMG_5537

Wyler’s Italian Ices and man, are they good. Only 50 calories with four delicious flavors, Kiwi Watermelon, Strawberry, Lemon, and Orange Creme. I bought a box and loved them so much, went back and bought about 5 more.

IMG_5538

$1!! Are you kidding me, for 8 of these. Now that’s a deal!

IMG_5540

My freezer is now stocked up with these. Hubby loves them too, so this is a win-win to have around all summer long. I even saw them at Walgreen’s too for the same price, so hopefully this will be something they stock all summer. The price is stamped on the box.

So, if you’re looking for an inexpensive treat for your kids, go and find some. I promise you’ll love them too!

I’m off with my friend, Judy in Montgomery, for lunch and shopping some antiques. Back on Saturday with a fun Alabama outing we went on recently.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

58 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

These look yummy! My grandchildren will eat the freezer pops that I get at Wal-Mart and Aldi's but these look much better. Until a few years ago, I had some metal ones that my mother used when I was a child. She used to freeze orange juice in them so we would get our daily dose of vitamin C.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the great blogging.

Charla

Love Being A Nonny said...

YUM!!! I am going to try these!

And yes, I still have my Tupperware popsicle makers. I will make them this summer for all the babies!!! Oh the memories I have of those!!

Melody said...

Okay I'm making a run to my dollar store today or tomorrow looking for those. Thanks for the tip. Hope you have a beautiful day

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

YUM!!!!! I don't like the regular "tube" popsicles but these sound better. Great price too.

I am pretty sure I posted a comment yesterday but my browser was being weird (changed to Firefox today and WOW what a difference!). Anyway, I love your blog and all of your decorating posts. You are great so poo poo on the naysayers. :)

Keely said...

Rhoda,
I'm so sorry about the trouble you've been having. I know you don't know me, but I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. You have fantastic decorating ideas and impeccable taste.
Thanks for the Wyler's Italian Ice tip. I hope I can find them around here.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I've never been a big ice cream person, but for some reason since I got married I can't get enough and especially now that summer is here. And....NO, I'm not either.

thanks for the tip about the pops I will have to give those a try.

Patricia said...

Good for you Rhoda! Never let anyone get you down!


As for the pops... they are fabulous!
We have them at our local Dollar General
My husband LOVES the A&W rootbeer pops that are sold there as well
8 for a buck!
You just can't go wrong!

Stacey said...

I'm pretty sure my boys ate hundreds of those (or some other brand) when they were little. I used to find the part that they would snip off with the scissors in my drawer. :)

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Such a deal! Those Tupperware molds are still around, at least I found a set (unused, I think) at a yard sale a couple of years ago for--yes!--fifty cents. My favorite is to mix plain yogurt with fresh orange juice and a tad of sugar and freeze. Yummers!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

Yes, they were made by Tupperware, and mom my used to be a Tupperware dealer, so you know we had lots of fun with those sets in the summertime! I'm going to have to try these out, thanks for the suggestion. We love popsicles (and we don't even have kids--at 30we still are kids!)

Smiles, :)
Susan

Glenda said...

Well Rhonda, you aren't the only one that received a comment where they slammed you. I did too. It lead back to a fellow blogger that stated it wasn't them, Hmmmm.

But all in all, it's just words, and life goes on without them affecting me. Only God can judge me and I haven't heard from him lately.

Blogs are like magazine. Either you like the one you pick up or you don't and you put it down.

Ciao

Lori E said...

Screw the kids, they can buy their own. These are for me. Ooops did I say that out loud?
They sure do look refreshing.

Tiffany said...

We have some of those plastic popsicle makers from when my husband was a kid. Right now, my 15 month old daughter loves to pull the handles out of the plastic baggie I store them in & play with them all over the kitchen! I think I saw some at Target the other day though.

Darlene said...

Those sound delicious and I just LOVE frozen treats when it is so hot outside!

I agree with everyone else....don't let one person ruin anything you do. They surely have better things to do than post negative things. I think it is so childish when people do that!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Blondie's Journal said...

Thanks for the heads~up on the ice pops~they are great to have on hand for the kids (even the big ones!).

I read your post yesterday but I didn't comment then so I will now. You handled the problem graciously and I admire you for that. That's all from me...

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Rhoda!

xoxo
Jane

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Yummy!

We have some of those plastic Popsicle things. My son loves making them from orange juice.

joyh82 said...

An nice cool snack. My kids used to like those lemon ice snacks from kool aid..

MomMom said...

Thanks for the tip! Our grandchildren will love these frozen "popsicles" and so will we!
And, I really like the price!

marie said...

I'm stopping at Walgreens on my way home from work ~ those look yummy and so refreshing! Thank you for sharing them.

WendyBee said...

My Mum had those Tupperware Popsicle molds when I was a kid, so naturally I bought some a few years ago when I saw that Tupperware still (or again) made them. I think they still do. But it does seem that TW is very high-priced for what it is. Oh well. Their pieces are iconic!
WendyBee

Anonymous said...

ooooh! Those look really, really good!!!!!

paintergal said...

Those look so yummy, Rhoda! We used to have Mr. Freezes in the summer for the kids when they were little. Such a fun and cheap treat.

Sorry you've had some snarky comments lately. I, personally, have been so inspired by projects you have done and frankly have unabashedly stolen a few of your ideas. :)
Keep on sharing with us, Rhoda. We love to see what you're doing.

Justabeachkat said...

Yum! Those look and sound delish! I'll look for them the next time I'm out shopping.

Happy weekend.
Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Yum! I could use one of them now! So glad that you are not letting that stinker get to you. You go girl. Keep doing what you love and being the best at it! Susie~

Unknown said...

Yummmm....that's a great sweet treat and the price is definitely right. I remember as a kid makig those popsicles too. Before we had the fancy Tupperware kind, we would freeze juice in an old ice cube tray...most likely the metal ones with the latch (remember them?) We would go outside with one cube wrapped in a paper towel and quickly enjoy them..AHH...good times. :)

Willoughby said...

I just took my daughter to Dollar Tree yesterday. I didn't see the Italian Ice or I would have bought some!

Tammy518 said...

Oh, I am definitely going to check these out. Lately, Dollar Tree and Big Lots have been regular stomping grounds for me for lots of good stuff for tablescaping.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thanks for the tip, Rhoda! Have a fun weekend! :) I'm hoping to find some GOOD yard sales this weekend with my sister-in-law. Haven't found much of anything the past two weekends. :(

Becky K. said...

We used to make those "tupperware" popsickles. I remember the lemonade running down my hand and then all the way to my elbow. These are definitely a neater way to enjoy a cool treat.

Thanks for the memories.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, those sound great - and fit in with my current diet plan! Thanks! Also, I really enjoy your blog. You always think of such interesting and varied things to share. Keep on keeping on! Linda

Anonymous said...

I totally remember those Tupperware popsicles from when I was a kid!

These sound wonderful, I'll have to look for them next time I'm at the $ store. Thanks for sharing!

Its So Very Cheri said...

We have something very similar in our freezer-Italian ice and we got ours from Aldi's grocery store, before we moved to Florida. They have I think 40 in a box - I don't remember how much they were but pretty reasonable. Oh how I wish there was an Aldi's everywhere-if you have one near you --you are so blessed. I could FILL a cart and spend $50-$60. I am not kidding.

Unknown said...

I think I still have those Tupperware molds somewhere.....thanks for the tip.

marmielu said...

Hi, Rhoda! Hope you have a fun time. I have had a thing for popcicles again this summer, after years of not really thinking of them. I've been splurging on the Edy's ones, though.
Mary Lou

Martha said...

I've also bought several boxes because they were so good! :)

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I'm heading to Dollar Tree to get some of these. I love icy treats like that in the summer when it is hot. Such a refreshing sounding treat! Thanks for sharing!!! I have been reading some of your past posts today. You are such an inspiration!!! I have so many things that I want to do around my house. You have really made me want to get to work on some of my projects!!! Love & blessings from NC!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the Wyler's tip, I remember Wyler's from growing up but I don't remember how good they were...off to get some for my family. My husband loves those stick popsicles, and I bought those plastic make your own popsicles containers at Target last year in the Dollar Spot I think it was!

Cindy said...

I am going to keep an eye out for those! Great price, excellent calories, and the color is so appealing.
I like reading your blog.
I can't imagine why someone would be critical on someone's blog. The desire to lash out, that only make sense coming from a person in a GREAT deal of pain.
One of the blogs that I read today had the neatest quotes, it was from Plato. It's sort of related to what I'm thinking here.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle". It was on the blog: The Lettered Cottage.
I've been thinking, it's a good quote for me to keep in mind when I run across difficult or miserable people. They're in the midst of a hard battle and don't know better than to lash out at either the nearest or weakest or healthiest person they can.
Just a thought. I really out to go walk now. tata.

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love the Luigi brand lemonade flavor italian ice that Costco sells, but I will definitely be stopping by DG...they are a lot less expensive. Very refreshing on the dog days of summer!
Have a super weekend!
Nola

grannyann said...

Wow only 50 calories. That is just what my grandson needs. Thanks for letting me know about those. I have never seen them before.

g.suzie said...

Sorry to read about your blog stalker yesterday, that kind of takes the fun out of it. . .Keep sharing your ideas, because you have many fans out in here bloggersville!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Thanks for sharing this. I will have to go try them next time I get to town.

abeachcottage said...

stuff the blog stalker, I have exactly the same, a horrid person and horrible snubs from some particularly nasty bloggers who like to berate my home while they copy and paste photos from magazines on their own blogs, their so called 'taste', i have kept quiet but like you there are quite a few people who do like my blog so I'm thinking I might be exposing them too like you have

anyway on to more interesting things, I enjoyed the curtain post, didn't comment on there seeeing as you popular gal had a lot of comments already!! I know our styles are different but you've given me some ideas, I am drape hunting at the moment but want to keep the budget low

anyhoooo enjoy those ices, it's a beautiful winters day here, full shiny sun with a zap of cool in the air

Sarah

abeachcottage said...

oh and i meant to say thanks so much for the link button thingy, so kind of you

Sarah

The Stylish House said...

I live off of flavor Ice during the summer! I buy them by the caseload!!! Packed with sugar, but hey at least they are fat free! ~Cathy~

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

I love those kool-aid and jello pops we made. I tried them for my boys and for some reason they turned out kinda too jello-y. I need to experiment some more with them. Thanks for reminding me.

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

We love those! :)

I love reading your blog-good ideas and all that I tagged you on my blog. :)

Unknown said...

I SO saw those at our Dollar store! Problem for me is-with 6 littles..THEY WILL INVADE, STEAL AND CONQUER and mommy will get none LOL!

A New Season said...

I love all the wonderful ideas you have and am glad to know about the Popsicles. Boy do I remember the tupperware popsicles they were great. I wonder if there is a way to set the comments on your blog so anonymous comments cannot be left. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

Jenny said...

Those look yummy!

Adie said...

I still have the Tupperware popsicle molds my mom used for us back in the 60's! I used to use my four sets for my own children, and then just last week I pulled them out and made Italian Ice popsicles for my grandson. They bring back such memories!

Judy said...

Hey darlin': Just wanted to stop by and tell you how much fun I had today even if it was hot as you-know-what! We always have the best times out antiquing, gabbing and of course, eating!

There's a lot of good advice left on here for you about "the children" and their comments. Keep on keepin' on and maybe they'll find another playground.

Hugs!
Judy

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

I like to use these similiar to biscotti dipped in coffee. But instead of coffee, I use Rum. LOL

Just kidding. A friend turned me on to these a few months ago when I was over at her home. I saw her kids eating them and asked what they were, then scolded her for not sharing these with me earlier. LOL

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there, GF. We Southern woman can take a licking and keep on cussing. Or something like that. :-D

Hope you have a smashing weekend, Barb

Sandy said...

LOL I bought those for Abby at the Dollar Store about a month ago. I thought it was a fabulous deal!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have never tried these before. Although I'm not sure I could really enjoy an Italian Ice with out the little wooden spoon.

The Country Nest said...

Rhona, I have been having a little computer trouble and am just catching up on a couple days blogs. I am so sad to hear you have a stalker. I love your blog, click on it all the time. You have great ideas. I get courage to do things from you many times. When someone is nasty I sense envy. If she does not like what she sees then don't look, move on...why lash out and try to hurt, unless she is the one hurting for some other reason. It is truly sad. I am not surprised you acted like a lady in your response.
Huge hugs,
Donna

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hey Rhoda- I am so glad to finally be able to visit you! Internet Explorer keeps kicking me off of your blog lately! What a pain!!! I will be checking out these yummy looking treats. And...we just bought some of the plastic popsicle makers at the Target dollar isle this weekend. A little small but so much fun for the kids.

~Misti

Kimberly said...

I am going to have to look for the Wyler's italian ice pops! I have a set of the plastic popsicle makers that I snapped up a couple years ago; my mom made popsicles for us all the time growing up. Hubs and I LOVE getting Luigi's Real Italian Ice in lemon and strawberry at our Ingle's grocery store. We get a mixed box of 6 6-ounce cups, 120 calories each. They are so refreshing and yummy.