Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The view from my swing




A place to rest at day's end.....

IMG_5156

My favorite outdoor spot right now is right here on my swing. The swing my dad made for me many years ago that I brought over from Georgia and hung up 3 years ago.

IMG_5159

And since we got the under deck patio finished last year, this has quickly become my go-to relaxation spot.

IMG_5157

All I need is a magazine and I’m good to go.

IMG_5162

And here’s my view when I sometimes lay all the way down in the swing with my head on a pillow and my knees propped up. And sometimes I doze off to sleepy town. I’ve always been able to nap really well outside, have you?

IMG_5163

A book from my bookcase on my little side table in case I want to read too, an autobiography of one of my favorite artists ever, Gladys Knight, an Atlanta girl (finished this one). And the new fountain is over there. I’ve got big plans for that area too with lots more landscaping. It’s in perfect earshot for the swing and plays some nice background music.

IMG_5168

This little iron side table I picked up last year at a yardsale for $4 and found the old piece of marble at Grandma Eleanor’s cottage for free. Perfecto! Holds a cold beverage just right. By the way, Grandma's house just sold and closed last week. I'll tell you about that later on.

IMG_5167

Looking over to the circular bed I’ve been working on lately.

IMG_5170

Another old pot rescued from Grandma’s house holds some caladiums.

IMG_5154

And right around the corner, coming in the gate to our backyard is my Endless Summer hydrangea that is just bursting with blooms. My plan is to have lots more of these around.

IMG_5151

Say hello to our little friend. We have plenty of these guys around.

IMG_5169

And these guys too. Some bunny loves you.

IMG_5153

Close up of the blooming hydrangeas.

IMG_5155

And some tiger lilies that I just dug up and transplanted from Georgia on my last trip.

So, how about you, do you have a favorite spot in the yard to nap and read? I sure have been enjoying mine, in between all the rain showers lately. Oh well, the rain sure makes for some pretty flowers, but the sun's been beaming the last few days and summer is officially here. It's hot!

I'm joining Darlene over at Our Creative Life, for an I Love Summer party. Go on over and check out the links and be inspired about summer yourself.

Also, added to Kimba's Garden Party!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

71 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

My favorite spot in summer is in the AC, Rhoda! LOL! Just teasing (sort of). I love our balcony in early morning. I also like it at Christmas at noon because you can hear various carrillons (sp) at downtwon churches playing Christmas hymns. Can you tell where my mind is today??? ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, and before I go eat my breakfast... I adore your hydrangeas. The color is STUNNING! And I love all of your garden ornaments including Grandma's pot. Your yard looks great! :-)

XO,

Sheila

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Oh I just love all you have done to your yard!

I just posted some pics of my yard on my blog yesterday....come take a look.

Anonymous said...

I just read your previous post about the transformation. FYI, did you know there are "deck drains" that you can install under the deck that act as a roof with gutters so you can sit under the deck when it rains and you won't get wet? I haven't tried it but there are various systems and I know that Lowes has something.
Ann

Darlene said...

Your yard is absolutely gorgeous!!! I also LOVE your swing. I have my swing on my blog today too. It is such a relaxing spot!

sara@augustfields said...

mmmm...your hydrangeas are gorgeous! they are my favorite along with geraniums. the swing looks so inviting...and that issue of TH has been flipped thru lots already here :) i love being on my back deck watching the kids run in the yard.

Suzann said...

My favorite spot is rocking on the swing. I don't have any lovlies to look at like you do, but with a good book or some stitching, I can sit for hours on end listening to my kiddo play and just "be".

Kristi said...

Your garden retreat is absolutely beautiful. The hydrangeas are amazing. Blessings to you!

Deb said...

I love swings...I can see why you enjoy yours...your flowers are beautiful...

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Ahhh. What a lovely spot to relax and enjoy the summer! Your flowers are beautiful.

At our last house we had a screened porch that I would often take little naps on. But here my swing is on the front porch, so I try to stay awake--don't want the neighbors to see me dozing. ;-)

Kathi said...

Your yard looks so beautiful! What a great place to relax!
Lovely flowers too!

Puna said...

Oh Rhoda, you've a wonderful place there. I'm now inspired to garden. And Traditional Home is my favorite home magazine. Happy napping!

Mabry's Gamma said...

Your backyard looks so relaxing with all the flowers, fountain and swing; how nice that you have this to enjoy. Happy reading back there on your swing.

Cheri

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, Rhoda, I am so jealous! ;) I have been asking (okay, nagging) my husband to get off his rear and build our deck for a year and a HALF now, and I just keep getting excuses. So, right now, I don't have a favorite spot in my yard b/c there is nowhere to sit. ;) Your flowers are just gorgeous...I esp. love the blue endless summer hydrangea!

Anonymous said...

Your "swing spot" is lovely. I have a swing way in the back of my yard... I need to go back there more often. My rocking/swivel chairs on my patio have to be one of my faves! When I sit there I look out onto my flower garden. I also have another favorite spot... on my front porch looking out at the neighborhood. I enjoy my morning coffee there. I need to get a hydrangea. Do you feed it? Have a great week! Nancy from OHIO

Runner Mom said...

Just lovely! I enjoy my screened porch! If I sat under your deck for one minute, those precious little mosquitoes would have a field day!! SO...screen is my friend!!

BTW, what kind of camera do you use? Great pics!

Hugs,
Susan

Kelly said...

Wow! That was a beautiful little tour. I like how you've got the hydrangeas and the impatiens and hostas all there together. Very pretty. Wish I'd have thought of that. I think I just may do a day's worth of blogging about swings! Seems to be such a popular and beautiful topic. Thanks again for sharing your great ideas.

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
I love your spot! I remember how hard you worked on creating it last year, it sure looks great. And you've given me an idea of what to do with some topless tables I have...

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh - can i cup join you with my cup of coffee and magazine? Sheer bliss. :)

One Shabby Old House said...

There is nothing like a pretty place with a swing. Your spot would be my favorite too. Your hydrangeas are beautiful.
Enjoy your day
Hugs
becky

Keyona said...

Such a beautiful view!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Love all your summer photos! That swing looks oh so inviting! Thanks for particating in my Summer Party!!

Have a Wonderful Summer!!
Darlene

Tracy said...

I love my swing too, nothing like a nap out on the swing is it.
The hydrangeas are beautiful, I finally set out a couple of little plants this spring, I can't wait until they get big and I can enjoy those pretty flowers.
Also, wanted to share something with you, at a yard sale we stopped at a couple of weeks ago this lady had the most beautiful pink hydrangeas, well you know the type of soil you have determines their color. She said her trick was to pick an old piece of iron of any kind in the ground by the roots of the plant and that is how she got the pretty pink color.
Just thought I'd share that, I might give it a try when my plants get bigger.

Tracy said...

oops, I meant to say "put" an old piece of iron in the ground, not pick.

Lisa said...

Looks like you've got the perfect spot to sit and watch the world go by!

Robin Lambright said...

OMGosh! I am so glad I stopped over here. Your pictures were absoultly beautiful.

I lost count this morning on how many blog links I followed but I am glad I came across yours. Your swing and backyard surrounds are so serine. It makes me jealous for my old back yard.

Blessings
Robin

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great swing and I love the gorgeous view you have. Such beautiful flowers. I love the little table too. I could really enjoy swinging and just enjoying the beautiful landscape. Hugs, Marty

Salmagundi said...

Your swing looks so inviting! Enjoy your day. Sally

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Early morning or evening on the patio swing is one of my favorite places to be too. So peaceful and relaxing. Your backyard is looking so good, you can tell that it has rained aplenty in your lush Alabama garden.

Becky K. said...

Now that looks like a wonderful place to kick back and relax. I have wasted away a few hours in the hammock this Spring. I never seem to be there alone for long though. The kids love it too.

Joanna said...

Who wouldn't want to spend an afternoon sitting and drinking their sweet tea with that view! Or in the morning with that coffee! *smiles*

Embellished Bayou said...

What a beautiful garden spot! I love your hydrangeas, mine are pink!

Anouna said...

Beautiful place, you are so blessing. Saludos desde Chile.

grannyann said...

I have a 1930s Craftsman style home and I have a full length (of the front of my house) screened in porch that is my PLACE for relaxing and all. I have a tv, a swing, a ceiling fan, one of my old favorite chairs (that rocks). I have rocked several babies out there and now the little kids like to sit on the swing (even sometimes upside down with their long hair swishing to the floor). A few years ago I moved the yard swing from the yard to the porch. We have a basket of kids toys.

midnight macaroons said...

I just love your Hydrangea and Tiger Lillies. They are beautiful and your backyard is gorgeous. Makes me want to grab a glass of tea and swing with you.

Have you been to any good garage sales? I'm planning on hitting some this Friday morning. What day do you prefer? Friday or Saturday garage sales?

Its So Very Cheri said...

Love it-PERFECT

Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

Lady Katherine said...

Love the swing, among the lovely flowers! Great place to relax! All my outdoor furniture got taken out by fallen trees! I love how you added the marble to the stand for a side table! Great idea! I am eying an iron cart! It is wonderful!

Jenny said...

You yard is beautiful! I love the swing.

Joyce said...

Ah! I can feel the breeze on my face already. Lovely.
Joyce

Sandra said...

Your garden is beautiful! I love your hydrangeas! I need a swing to relax in now. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

the pleasures of homemaking said...

That looks like a great place to relax! I love porch swings and I like the little saying you painted on yours! They hydrangeas are doing so well with all the rain we've had so far.

Manuela

PS Can you believe how hot it is already!!!

Karla said...

I LOVE how you painted "A Place To Rest At Day's End" on your swing! That is such a cute idea!! What a perfect place to sit and relax!

~Karla @ It's The Little Things...

Richella Parham said...

Rhoda, I loved your post about the under-the-deck patio--I read that months ago when I began stalking your blog. :) But, oh, how happy I am to see your view from the swing! I have an under-the-deck patio, too, and it currently contains nothing. Nothing. Would you please come work your magic on it?

Anita said...

wonderful hygrandeas...I just kove those...can;t wait to get this yar dunder control to plant me some!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I posted my first GIVE AWAY
cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

Tammy518 said...

What a sweet little oasis you have there. I could easily see relaxing there with a good book or magazine...falling asleep too. Your garden is gorgeous and the little lizard is so cute!

Molly Anne said...

What a lovely spot!

Your hydrangea is gorgeous!

And I love the words on the front of the swing.

Renee said...

I have an area EXACTLY like yours that I want to fix, but when it rains the water comes through the deck down under. Do you have something on the bottom of your deck? I absolutely love it!

Mindy said...

Ahhh...what beautiful surroundings! The pictures are gorgeous. I swear I can smell the flowers from here. ~Mindy

Tabitha said...

HA! Our Arizona yard is nothing but rocks and weeds--hardly anything grows here!! Well, it might if I didn't have such a black thumb! I'd loooove a swing! Your area is lovely--reminds me of our yard in Florida!

springrose said...

Your yard looks absolutely beautiful! I hope my yard will oneday look like that, all put toghether! For now I will settle for some beautiful spots the kids havent trampled yet!!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home said...

Hydrangeas and lilies are two of my favorite flowers! Beautiful photos... and a peaceful place to relax.

Unknown said...

That is lovely! It all looks soooo relaxing!

I'm having a Crazy About Chalkboards Party on Friday, June 26th. I hope you'll join me!

Melissa Miller said...

It's all so pretty!
I just adore the swing.
We have the same taste in magazines. I just bought it as well.

Have a wonderful evening.
~Melissa :)

Linda in AZ * said...

* Rho~ Your photography just keeps getting betta' n' betta'!!! BUUUT, the pic of the lizard ("gecho"?) on the magnificently breathtaking blue hydrangea should DEFINTELY be enlarged, framed and set out for ALL to see n' enjoy~~~ it's almost surreal it's soooo PRETTY!!!!

Hugs,
Linda *

Haven and Home said...

Hi Rhoda!

I love the swing. Maybe sometime we can get together and discuss Birmingham yard sales!!!!

Faye said...

What a lovely spot to hang out at...and catch a little snooze. I love your Hydrangeas...they are on my list of fave flowers.

RN and OSHP said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful!! The Tiger lilys remind me of my great grandma's farm. She had them all over her yard and I loved them as a little girl!

Amanda said...

It's so very lovely! What a wonderful swing and a fantastic spot.

I heart all of your beautiful flowers!

Blessings,
Amanda

Elisabeth said...

I love hydrageas but unfortunately, they don't grow in Arizona. Yours are gorgeous!!

Elisabeth

Kelee Katillac said...

Your swing is charming ad the blue hydrangeas--WOW!!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Rhoda...just love visiting your back yard and watching it change...I remember when you did the area under the deck. The swing looks so comfy...perfect place to relax and read. Your flowers are beautiful!!! Happy Summer! Susan

Marie said...

Hello Rhoda - your swing is fabulous! May I come over and sit and relax on it? And those hydrangeas are absolutely gorgeous!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

trish said...

Dear Rhoda,
I have always admired your back yard and especially your swing. What a nice place to rest.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Ps. I went through several of your recipes recently and plan to try them for our family. :o) I will post when I do so. :o)

Decor To Adore said...

You have quite the green thumb. I love your quote on the garden bench.

stephanie h said...

Oh wow! I am speechless. You ROCK, nuff said! LOVE it all!

p.s. we have lots of the little lizards too. They are ok outside but I am not to happy when they make in inside! LOL

Roeshel said...

Rhoda - you have a lovely relaxing outdoor space. I love the swing and your flowers are beautiful!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

The colors are to die for! I got an endless summer hydrangia last month and can't wait for it to grow and come into full color! GREAT post!

Sallie said...

Your view is so beautiful. I love those Hydrangeas. I have to get some of those one of these days.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Your swing & yard is fabulous! I need to make a cushion for our swing. Then I might enjoy it more. We do have an outside bed that is fun to take a nap in. I felt so relaxed looking at your photos. I just wouldn't want to be in your heat & humidity. The heat here in SoCal is bad enough without adding in humidity. Yikes!!!

Kimba said...

What a beautiful spot. I'd love to have a glass of tea with you there. I've been wanting a swing for the longest time.

Thanks for sharing!
Kimba