Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Easy Peach Cobbler

First, I want to thank all of you who are coming by and participating in Thrifty Treasures every Monday. It's really gotten huge and I think we've even converted a few girls along the way to shopping this way. Ya'll make it so much fun to do this, so thank you from the bottom of my heart. It does make Monday more fun, don't you think? Now, if I could just get through the links in one day, I'd be able to see what all of you have found (didn't make it through them this week yet). I think I'll start at the end of the links next week and work my way backward.IMG_5664

We love some peaches around our house and since we live near peach territory, Chilton County, AL, that’s the fruit we stock up on this time of year. Nothing better than fresh peach cobbler either! This is one easy dessert, so I hope you’ll try it too.

IMG_5665

Easy Peach Cobbler

6 large peaches and about a cup of blueberries (optional). Peel and slice peaches

1 Pillsbury pie crust in a pie baking dish, thawed (use the individual pie crust & put in your own pie dish for best results)

4-6 slices of white bread (I used wheat & it was just fine) with crust trimmed off & cut into 1” strips

1 stick of melted butter

1 egg

1 cup sugar

2 TBL regular flour

Put pie crust in pie pan when thawed and arrange.

Place sliced fruit in next

Melt butter in bowl, add egg, sugar, and flour. Mix until blended (by hand).

Place strips of bread over top of fruit (like lattice) and pour butter mixture over the top.

Bake in 350* oven for about 35 mins. until golden brown.

Enjoy with vanilla ice cream.

IMG_5666

I got this recipe from a friend and couldn’t believe it was bread over the top. She used white, but we don’t buy white at our house, so wheat it is. And it tasted just as good to me.

IMG_5667

After pouring the butter mixture over all.

IMG_5668

It bakes up nice and golden brown with a little crunch to the crust.

IMG_5670

With vanilla ice cream, they will be screaming for seconds! I think you’ll love this one. I'm participating in a bloghop today, so check out the other recipes.

Also, added to Jen's Tasty Tuesday.




MckLinky Blog Hop

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Evy said...

Oh my, that sound and looks so tasty! I've wanted to make a peach cobbler in so long, but never got the courage to try it. The only downside is I can't find pre-made pie crust where I live now, but maybe I can make it myself.

Thanks for sharing! The bread on top is a nice little twist, for sure!

Mandi Shandi said...

YUM! I love peach cobbler and have never seen it done this way. I'll have to give this a try for a cookout this weekend.
I also wanted to let you know I followed your lampshade tutorial and recovered a shade last week. It looks fantastic, so I put it on my blog and added a link to you in the post in case anyone wants to know how I did it. Thanks again for the detailed instructions.

Terri Steffes said...

In my neck of the woods cobblers don't have a bottom crust, so I am going to try your idea with the bread on the top!! I'll let you know how it works!

Tracey said...

oh my! I've never seen it done with pieces of bread on top...interesting! I'm going to have to try that!

Nothing better than Peach Park in Clanton, is there?! Yummy!

Sandy said...

This cobbler looks so mouth watering, and there is nothing like a good peach cobbler. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my, I love peach cobbler.
I am going to gain 10lbs with this one. They better set up a Mr. Linky excercise tip link.LOL
Debra

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Visiting from Jen's party. :) That cobbler looks scrumptious! My husband's family loves a good cobbler. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I guess technically this would be more peach pie than peach cobbler, but it all tastes the same no matter the name!

Shining Windows said...

got to try this for sure!

Anonymous said...

mmm looks delish!

http://anhesty.blogspot.com

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Boy, that looks delicious!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Becky K. said...

Wow! My mouth is willing to try that! Really willing.

Bread? Who would have thought?

Have a great day, Rhoda.

Becky K.

Sandi McBride said...

Now this looks wonderful...I can't wait to try it. We live just a piece down the road from McLeod Farms, one of the largest peach farms in the South East and I can't get enough of their sweet deliciousness! Going to try this for sure...with whole wheat bread here, too lol!
Sandi

MadeInCanarias said...

Looks so good!

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Rhoda, this looks so delicious! I have never heard of putting bread on top for a lattice crust, but I bet it's good. I'll definitely have to give this one a try!~

Sandra said...

Rhoda, my mouth is drooling over that pie! It looks very yummy and one of my twins (Austin) said "mmmmmm" So I will have to make this sometime for my family. :)Thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings,
Sandra

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Great looking cobbler, I can't wait to make it. Thanks for all your great comments on my Thrifty post Monday. You asked me if the chairs were comfortable, and believe it or not they are and very sturdy.
Sandy

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

That looks sooo good, Rhoda!

I picked up peaches from Campbell MO, last Saturday, at the Camdenton Farmer's Market. You guessed it....I made another cobbler. Could not resist!

Darlene said...

Oh that does look delicious and sound EASY!! I LOVE peach cobbler so I will have to try it!!

NicNacManiac said...

I could almost taste the sweet peach flavour right from my monitor. Great tutorial!!

Meredith said...

Hey Rhoda!

My mom and I check out your blog all the time and I just wanted to take the time to tell ya! I loved your beadboard wallpaper project and I'm hoping to add it to the exposed side of my vanity in my guest bathroom sometime soon! Your blog has spurred me to post more often on mine and try to include some of my own DIY projects!
Thanks!

Home as Hobby said...

Just letting you and your folks know that I am having a giveaway at my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

That looks YUM !!! We love peaches at this Casa.

I have been catching up with your past posts....I took some time away from blogland.

I always enjoy your posts about your folks !! Travis Twitt huh...I love country music and know the name but I'm not familiar with his songs...

A bloghop huh ?? I always learn new things here Rho :)

Hope all is well in your part of the world.

All the best,
Kathy :)

ps FYI I called my representative today to voice my concern about the Healthcare bill they'd like to pass, asking him to PLS vote NO...I think this is something we should all be VERY concerned about !!

grannyann said...

Now that's not fair. Just looking at the pics made me want some peach cobbler so badly. That looks wonderful.

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

I just made a peach cobbler the other day, yummy! And I also make a peach/blueberry crumble that is delicious. Keep the good ideas and recipes coming! Oh, and I am going to order the beadboard wallpaper to do in the downstairs bathroom - yours looks so good!

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

How different!! Looks wonderful I will try it soon! Thanks for posting it. Connie

Unknown said...

Rhoda - How yummy! The truck from Illinois is here in our town with peaches. I buy them every year. The juice absolutely runs down your chin. Not a pretty sight. I will certainly try your recipe.

Charla

Designs on 47th Street said...

This DOES look good. It almost reminds me slightly of bread pudding, only with peach filling. I'll have to try this. I have some Colorado peaches coming soon. The ones we get in the grocery store are very ify and I LOVE peaches...and blueberries...great combo!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard... I'll miss the Alabama peaches as I'm up in New England for a few months. (sigh!)

Got news today that my niece is moving back to B'ham to go to UAB. She said she's rooming with a couple of girls in Homewood. So... I'll be back again. I miss that place...

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

That looks yummy! I have got to get to the farmer's market!

Girl with the Curlz said...

This sounds yummy!! I will have to make this for the hubby he will love it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Oh I haven't done the yard sales yet that will be next but I just got a great bargin on makeup on Sunday and saved a TON of $$. Gotta love those bargins.

Shari said...

Rhoda,

Have I died and gone to peach cobbler heaven? Oh, yes I have, I'm glad to have made the delicious journey with you!! May I pass on a great kitchen tip? We never eat white bread either, but when we make fresh bread crumbs, most recipes call for white bread. You can buy a loaf of white (I use Pepperidge Farm), freeze it and then take out a slice here and there when you need it. You can keep bread frozen for six months, too. Thanks again, you wonderful lady, you!!

Lettered Cottage said...

Huge fan of peach cobbler...you just made me so hungry for it! I'm trying to lose 8 lbs. though, so no cobbler for this one! :-(

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Tracy Watier said...

I am totally going to try this... looks yummy!
I wanted to tell you too that I mentioned your blog in mine today... your $2 "Ballard" shelf helped me maje a point... thanks!

annies home said...

sounds delicious and just in time for peach season

Kristin said...

That looks just delicious! I've never seen bread used that way before... will have to try it out. Thanks!

the brown couch said...

What a neat trick...bread on top of the pie!

Blog Hoppin'
Deborah

Kristy said...

Your just beautiful!
This dessert is in my oven right now as I type - I can't wait to share with my family!!
Blessings ~

Building a house said...

This cobbler looks very delicious!!! Thank you for sharing its recipes.