Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reader Project: Diningroom Moldings

Sheila DR

I’ve told you before how much I enjoy getting emails from all of you who read my blog, especially those that let me know that something I’ve done on my blog inspired them to try it too. That makes me SO giddy, so again, I received one of those emails recently from Sheila, another reader in Ontario, Canada (you Canadian girls are really paying attention, THANK you, you rock!) So, please read Sheila’s email to me and enjoy HER wonderful DIY project that she and her hubby completed:

Hi Rhoda,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sheila and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I am 56 years of age and I love decorating my home even though I have no formal schooling on the matter.

I am a faithful follower of your blog and it is my number 1 site that I visit each day. I consider myself a "stalker" of sorts because I always visit but never leave any comments. One evening not too long ago, I lauded your decorating style and mentioned that we had just finished installing picture molding to our dining room after being inspired by your own makeover. I promised to send photos that evening, so I am pleased to be sending them today.

Occasionally I feel we are kindred spirits of sorts because I have always been intrigued by the south. Maybe it’s a fascination from that great movie "Gone with the Wind" but the stately homes, sipping mint juleps on beautiful porches and southern belles have always captured my attention. Someday soon, I hope to visit the lovely cities of Charleston and Savannah.

My dear hubby had always wanted to try this effect but I was never a big fan of moldings until I saw your makeover. I'm the one with most of the decorating ideas for our home, but he's always the one who carries them out. Guaranteed if I had done the work, those moldings would not even be straight- hehe. We actually make a great team but I guess that goes without saying after 36 years of marriage.

So in closing, I hope you enjoy our photos and maybe I'll become less of a "stalker" now and start leaving some comments on your blog. Keep up the great work and thanks again for all the sharing you do!!

Kind regards,
Sheila

Sheila DR3

Look at those perfectly straight moldings and what a beautiful dining room. Sheila, it’s gorgeous!

Sheila DR2

Inspired by this project that I did earlier this year, if you want to try something new in your dining room and add some picture frame molding, what are you waiting for? If WE can do it, YOU can too. Sheila, thanks so much for your note and for sharing your beautiful dining room project with me. I just know everyone else will love it too.

My dining room project was also featured over the weekend at One Project Closer, so go over and take a look there too. They are doing a summer contest of Before and After projects, so if you have something to submit, send in your pics. I won a $25 giftcard for entering and being featured, so that's exciting!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Inspired to post because I am a fellow stalker---Your dining room is beautiful!

Tiffany said...

I love moldings and am feeling the inspiration rise in me to maybe take on this project myself! I'll keep you updated.

Stacey said...

Beautiful! Way t go Sheila and hubby. :)

Debbie's Garden said...

The mouldings turned out beautiful, and I love the color of the walls.

Kathi said...

Wow! Sheila's moldings look perfect!

Beneath the Eaves said...

Shelia the dinning room is beautiful. congratulations!
Debra

Roeshel said...

Great job Sheila!

You guys are making it look 'easy'. I'm inspired! :)

Nancy in Birmingham said...

Great job Shelia. Got to get
back out to the veranda before
my mint jelup welts.

Becky K. said...

How very fun!
It looks great!

southerninspiration said...

Oh, that is just one of those things that make me say "aaahhhhhh"; just what it needed to make it gorgeous!! I love it!

Suzanne

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This is so beautiful. They did an awesome job!

You are truly an inspiration to us all!

Thank you...

Lou Cinda :)

Tracy said...

Rhoda, your global! Your inspiring people from other countries too!
Sheila and hubby did a beautiful job! It's so clean and elegant looking. Great Job!
Oh no! Now I feel the urge to go to Lowes! LOL
Have a great day Ya'll!
Tracy

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Lovely room! Love those warm butterscotch walls!

The Blushing Hostess said...

So pretty and well done, which many are not. I love it.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Looks great - so kind of you to share your readers' projects!

blushing rose said...

We just got done putting all new moldings in our home, what a wonderful transformation, particularly in the dining area like this. Love it! TTFN~Marydon

Tracey said...

Wow - so elegant looking! I love it.

paintergal said...

Bravo, Sheila!
I'm a Rhoda-wannabe decorator too. :)

Sandra said...

Wow! Sheila and hubby did a great job! Rhoda, you are such an inspiration! Keep it up cause we all enjoy following your blog. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a beautiful dining room and I LOVE all the pretty moldings. They just add so much character. Hugs, Marty

Chris said...

Thank you for showing this off, Sheila! You did a fantastic job! And thank you to Rhoda, of course! Thank goodness you inspired her! ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice job Sheila....

Congrats to you Rhoda on your 25.00 win :)

I hope you had a nice 4th...did you make the tea party ???

Kathy :)

Indigo Robe said...

Rhoda,

You may remember that you inspired me to decorate my office and now, I too, have done the mouldings. I should rephrase that: my hubby did the work, I showed him your photos! haha. Actually, we majorly cheated as I found wooden frames at IKEA for just under $4.00 and used those. The only problem is I went a little too light on the paint. It's more a light yellow and I really wanted more depth so I think I have to repaint it eventually... I saw a color close to the one in these photos.. I think it's PECAN by Eddie Bauer.

Thanks again for your wonderful inspiration!!!!

Margie

Bill said...

Kudos to Sheila, her DH, and to the fabulous Rhoda for inspiring us all! Those moldings really make a huge difference in a dining room, adding SO much character.

Sheila, I hope you will visit Charleston and Savannah soon. Consider staying in Hilton Head, SC -- it's in between the two cities (closer to Savannah of course), and you can take a side trip to Beaufort, SC. It's an absolute jewel of a place if you like Southern architecture, atmosphere, and history!

Rhoda, I hope you'll stop by and check out my "Delta Dawn" post -- I think you might like it.

Warmest regards,
Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Signing Out said...

Sheila, your dining room moulding project is fabulous! Thanks for sharing it.

Rhoda, congrats on winning the gift card at One Project Closer. You are certainly an inspiration to all of us!

Jane

grannyann said...

That really makes a great looking dining room!! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you are an inspiration to all who read your blog. Your dining room is truly beautiful as is Sheila's room. I must do this soon! Thanks for all your sharing.

Elizabeth H

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Rhoda for featuring our dining room makeover on your blog. Thanks also to all your friends who left such nice comments. It truly was a pleasure being featured on your site and as always, I look forward to your next post.

Kind regards,
Sheila

JoyNtheJourney said...

Rhoda,

Thanks so much for sharing Sheila's beautiful dining room. I would LOVE to know what color she used on the upper part of her walls. It is gorgeous!

~JOY~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sheila, please share your DR wall color with everyone if you would! Thanks again for sending your project to me so I could show it off.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Sheila and her hubby did a beautiful job! The room is beautiful and welcoming. I'd love to know the wall color, too.

abeachcottage said...

Hi Rhoda

love this, it's so wonderful to hear that you inspired people!

the room looks lovely with this addiction and the paint colour is just right

I would like to add some beading to our living room but not quite up to the project at the moment

Sarah

Anonymous said...

The color in our dining room is called Boardwalk #CC-410 by Benjamin Moore. I find it pairs very well with the Oxford White trim #CC-30 also by Benjamin Moore. Sheila

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Add me to the list of your loyal stalkers. I have picked up so many useful and helpful hints from you! Thanks! ♥

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sheila and Hubby did a great job!

Rhoda, you are such an inspiration and make projects look so doable : )

Dee

KM Studios said...

A contractor somewhere is shaking in his boots!

Love the "I can do it " spirit!!

that dining room looks fantastic.

whats next....

Unknown said...

You all have created beautiful dining rooms! I love the color selection and the wainscoting/chair rail combo! It gives the room such an elegant, warm feeling. Thank you for all of the inspiration to create beautiful rooms as well as the great ideas!

dec0r8or said...

Rhoda, I think it's SO awesome that you are here inspiring others to "Just do it!" as Nike would say. :) Your blog has really grown, and I guess we've all come a long way since GI, haven't we? Keep up the good work! One of these days they're going to give you your own show on HGTV, and I'll be able to say "I knew her when..." ;)

Mary said...

Rhoda, I just love Sheila's diningroom, you must have sucha wonderful sense of satisfaction that you have inspired so many.
Kudo's to Sheila's husband that did such a great job.