Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sticks and Feathers

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Added to Kimba's DIY Day!


IMG_4815

Here’s a quick, easy, and cheap little arrangement I put together recently, using some black yardsale sticks that I picked up for $1. I have to admit, I’m really liking sticks these days and have started using them a lot in my decor. This is a $5 yardsale urn that I scored along the way in my yardsale journey and it keeps company with all the creamware. But, I decided it would be a great container for some sticks and feathers, since I saw a beautiful white ironstone container at a shop filled with sticks and feathers and loved the look.

IMG_4816

Out came my bags of moss that I have stashed in my craft closet. This is a must-have to keep handy. And the best thing, it’s reusable, so I just recycle it to the next one.

IMG_4817

You can see in the first pic, I added some foam to hold everything in place. Didn’t even glue it, just jammed it in the urn and it stays fine. Added the moss, no gluing, it stays in place just fine.

IMG_4818

I began adding my black sticks one at a time until they were all arranged the way I liked them. I made sure that they were balanced all around with the height & the direction they were going .

IMG_4819

I had picked up a dried bunch at Hobby Lobby on their last dried naturals sale for $2.00. Added those in too.

IMG_4820

IMG_4821

Then, I took my Hobby Lobby feathers than I bought on the 1/2 price sales along the way and just arranged those around the circle of the sticks.

IMG_4823

I had 3 taller feather picks too, so I put those in.

IMG_4825

And there you have it, a quick and easy arrangement. I moved out the pinecones and added this in its place on the console table.

IMG_4826

Let’s see, I think there’s about $10-12 in this one (including the urn). Not too bad for a new look by using yardsale finds and recycled natural materials.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

61 friends stopped by:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Not to bad? It's fabulous!! What a fun find.

Beneath the Eaves said...

It is beautiful. I love the urn.
The arrangement would ge great for our Thanksgiving!
So quick and easy.

Jennifer said...

Really nice accent piece. I like the look of it, not to mention the simplicity of it. Thank you for the fabulous idea.

Have a wonderful Wednesday,
Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Looks great! And making it from bargain items makes it even more fun. I love a good bargain!

Debbie's Garden said...

Who doesnt' love some "easy"! I like it. Over this past winter I took red sticks and put them in pots in the front yard. Very pretty against the snow.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, and all done with bargain finds which makes it great.
Sandy

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

This looks great, Rhoda! The feathers are a nice surprise, and I love that urn!

ch said...

Wow this is so pretty. Easy, quick, inexpensive, I'm in!
Thanks for sharing!!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Rhoda -- I love how you take bits of this and pieces of that and put together something so freshly creative and lovely. Thank you for inspiring the rest of us!

Bill said...

It really does look like something you'd see at a high-end chic boutique! Go Rhoda!!!

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Kelli said...

I LOVE IT!! You make it look so easy!

Kelly@RevelsRoost said...

Well, once again you've inspired me! I love this! I'm going to Hobby Lobby this week! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly Bergsing said...

I love that idea!! I will definitely have to try that one out. I am running out of ideas that don't involve fake plants. Trying to avoid the dust and this would be a great alternative. Much easier to dust!! :)

Deserae said...

Love it! It looks fabulous in your foyer and I love the height :o) The urn was a great score too!
~Des

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda!! Do I love this?? Do I? YES! It looks fabulous! Way high dollar!

I've got this on my list of stuff to look for at yard sales!! Or...I mayjust have to go buy it at Hobby Lobby and do it now.

Lou Cinda :)

Caroline said...

I love it Rhoda!...you never cease to amaze me with your creativity. You provide a lot of us with so much inspiration. Thank you.

Lorilee said...

Wow, Beautiful. Your Hobby Lobby must have had the same sale as mine! I just bought salt cedar sticks for 1/2 price to put into an old milk pitcher I have. I haven't decided what to put with them yet.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great Rhoda! You've given me inspiration to make something for my entry area. I've been looking for something already made but maybe that's my mistake!

Natalie Meester said...

Rhoda...it's beautiful! I love the natural look and I LOVE the pheasant feathers.

Great Job and thanks for the play by play...you rock sister!

Beth said...

That is gorgeous! Gives me an idea of what to do with my peacock feathers...

Unknown said...

You are always so fabulously creative! Yet another inspiring post...

Unknown said...

Your urn is wonderful...and I love your arrangement!

Nancy♥

Kim @ Thrifty Finds said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Marianne said...

Ever since I saw the Nester do a similar arrangement in her black urn I have been craving for one too. And now that I have seen yours which is equally beautiful I want one even more. I got the urn, the sticks can come from my garden, but the feathers that give it that umph... impossible to get over here especially for that price. Oh how I wish for a hobbylobby or Michaels over here on the old continent.
Awel, I keep dreaming and enjoying yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
It looks so pretty on your console table and such a nice urn for a super price! I'm also loving that sphere to the left of your arrangement. TFS! Sheila

Signing Out said...

This is just beautiful! You are so creative!

Jane

Joanna said...

Awesome! I have something that I can do this too and I wondered what I should do with this thing!

Thanks for the inspiration!

ginacrotts.jamberrynails.net said...

BEAUTIFUL! I think the feathers just made it. soooo beautiful!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Such a simple, yet elegant arrangement. I might even be able to do that one. It really looks beautiful!! You always have the best ideas. Love & blessings from NC!

The Hollywood Memoirs said...

That looks amazing! It's so unique! I absolutely love it.

BlueCastle said...

Oh, I love this! It's so pretty. Thank you for sharing how you put it all together. :)

Pam said...

I think it turned out beautifully! I love sticks, too. And urns. Great job!

Sarah said...

I have that same little urn, I love the sticks and feathers in it! I really need to stock up on pheasant feathers, I love them!!!

My Casa Bella said...

Hi, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy visiting your blog. Because of this I have given you a Kreativ Award. If you'd like to post the award to your blog, please let me know. Visit me.
THanks, and keep up the good work.
Arlene
My Casa Bella

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty!
Glenda

grannyann said...

That is an outstanding arrangement.
Thanks for the step by step

Tammy518 said...

I love your new arrangement! I adore anything with pheasant feathers in it.

Also, I haven't done it yet, but I plan to take your idea you mentioned before about painting some sticks red and making them look like "coral."

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Trés cute!! ;)

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

I love it! I was looking at your pictures and thinking where I could put something like this. Thanks for sharing! If I make one I’ll link back to your blog. Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, gorgeous! I couldn't come up with that idea, but thanks for showing me how to copy it. You make it easy! Linda

Jen said...

Oh I love it! I have a ton of ostrich feathers left over from my wedding I need to do something with... and this looks like the perfect idea! AND it's the height I needed for on top of my fireplace! YOU ROCK!

Nancy Rosalina said...

It beautiful Rhoda!

rozetta said...

I love it! It looks more like a fall arrangement.

~elaine~

Sandra said...

So pretty! I have sticks painted in white but have yet to have found an urn! I hope I do soon!
Blessings,
Sandra

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have the urn and the sticks. Now, I'm going to go add some moss and feathers - yours looks great

mrs. fisher's findings said...

Very nice! And I love how you have pictures of each step that you had. It inspires me!

Gwen said...

Very crafty! I wonder if I can do my own version with the mess of bamboo that I picked up the other day for $1? Now to find the flower foam....

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I know, I'm liking sticks too! LOL
It looks great - I really like the addition of the feathers!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Wow! That's beautiful and affordable.

Judy said...

While I've got a lot of good suggestions/ideas/advice I was hoping I'd hear from you sista! What I'd like to do is put the beadboard wallpaper under the chair rail and paint it white but what if I change my mind after the wallpaper is up? It's such a butt to take down and fix the wall behind it so I thought I'd actually just paint below the same color as the cabinets. Still undecided about the door but guess I could paint it and see...

I'll be in B'ham this coming Monday (the 13th) with my sister and her daughter. If things work out time-wise for me I will give you a call and see what you're up to.

Judy

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I LOVE the feathers and natural looking sticks from Hobbby Lobby. That urn is a great find too. My garage sale list is growing, thanks for the inspiration!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Thrifty AND crafty! Two of my favorite things. :-)

Heathahlee said...

It's beautiful!

Sandi McBride said...

Ah, where cheap translates to lovely and inexpensive! Good show!
Sandi

Abbie said...

Hi, I am a new reader and subscriber to your blog, and I just adore what I have found here! Thank you for so many wonderful in inspiring ideas and fabulous photos! Where did you find the writing you have put over your doorway. I think it is in the second to last pic. I think that is a wonderful way to display a gental written reminder and I'd love to do one in my home. How did you do this? Thanks, Abbie

Abbie said...

Rhoda, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I so very much appreciate your personal reply message and encouraging comments. You know, I just Googled "vinyl wall art" and came up with a ton of wonderful links, some with very inspiring gallery pictures. I never knew this world existed! Thank you for opening this decorating door. Now, if only I could decide which one....Abbie

Mary said...

Another great Rhoda redo! Lovethe natural materials.

Chris said...

Not too bad? I'm in love with it!!! That's going in my file, Rhoda. And I just love how you give such detailed tutorials!! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love what you have done with your urn. I have some that are needing some TLC- this may be just the thing!

blessings
mary

Allyson said...

wow, that looks great!

Kate Riley said...

Your layering is phenomenal. I just love branches too, but adding those feathers? Superb !

Kate