Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Staining an Oak Banister

It was 3 years ago right after we moved in this house, that I decided to tackle this project that I originally posted about here. In fact, click on that post from last year for all the details on how I did mine. If you have those light oak railings and banister on your staircase, you might want to do this too. It was a really easy project!

finial2

These top 2 pics are the Befores and you can see the dramatic difference that stain makes below. The beauty of Polyshades is that it’s stain and poly all in one. I did NOT sand, prime or do any prep to my railings, I simply brushed on the Polyshades to darken and deepen the color of the stain and I’ve been really happy with the outcome.

Foyer

My foyer table has come a long way too. See how light the oak railing is in the above pic?

IMG_5862

This is After: Polyshades Bombay Mahogany applied.

IMG_5863

I was looking for contrast with the floors, so I’m fine with the 2 different tones of wood.

IMG_5864

This color blends very well with my older vintage pieces of furniture in the living room too.

IMG_5865

And I love the darker, richer depth of the stain now. I’m so glad I did this one! So, I’m digging this project up again, because I met a new blogger recently who was inspired by my post last year to do the same thing at her house.

stairs before

(Kate’s foyer, BEFORE)

Kate at Centsational Girl, mentioned that my project had inspired her to do something with her plain oak railings in her house too, so she has just finished this project and I thought this would be a great opportunity to introduce Kate to those of you who have not yet met her. Kate lives in CA, has fantastic taste and a wonderful DIY blog that you will totally enjoy. So, click over to her railing project too. You will love her entire blog and be hooked like I am!

foyer after

And, AFTER

Check out what Kate has been up to with wallpaper and moldings too. What a change! I just love it all. Notice how she painted the bottom of the staircase molding white too. Click over to Kate’s blog for all the details. She will tell you all about how she did it and the color stain she used. Now, I want to go back and make mine even darker!

Hope ya’ll will also be inspired if you have those light oak railings. This is a great way to get an instant update for just a little elbow grease.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

63 friends stopped by:

Rhonda said...

very pretty!

our home has all light oak cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms and fireplace mantel. They are nice but would look much more up to date if they were darker.

I am assuming your method would work on them too?

Lisa said...

Love this! I had no idea this could be done. I was envisioning lots of sanding and dust etc....Both projects turned out beautiful. A huge change and once again I am inspired! Thanks!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Are you ever brave! Staining in my least favorite improvement activity. thank you for sharing, no tthat it will make me reconsider - only be glad there are others who can do it!

southerninspiration said...

Oh my GOODNESS......haven't been to Kate's blog in a few days and look what I missed. I have banisters so similar to hers and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what she did.......I wonder if my husband would disown me???? I am so head over heels in love with that!
thanks, rhoda!

Suzanne

Nicole A. said...

Absolutely Gorgeous! Love the dark!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
I LOVE this project and thanks for sharing it again. I missed it the first time. This is exactly the inspiration I needed to tackle my banister. Thanks also for telling us about Kate's blog. I'm going over to visit now. :-)
See ya soon,
Alisa

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Oh.My.Word. I am rushing to the store TODAY to get me some polystain. This would be perfect for my foyer!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

g.suzie said...

Oh, a big thank-you for this post, I have some staining that needs to be done, but I have been procrastinating because, I haven't had time for all the prep and mess. This sounds so easy, where do you buy the polystain?

Cheri said...

Rhoda,

How rich your rails look, what a wonderful idea. Kate's looks amazing and so much better. You girls rock.

Cheri

Becky K. said...

Now that is dressing a staircase! I love all of her very classy touches. It must feel great to know that your blog inspires, Rhoda!

Becky K.

Adrienne said...

This looks really nice, classy! I need to tackle my stoop. Maybe I can match a polyshade to my already dark wood. I've been wondering how to do it myself, so thanks for passing this on.

Unknown said...

What an elegant transformation for such a small budget and a little bit of work. Those simple touches really do make a big difference, even though it isn't a major change, the overall appearance looks dramatically different.

Now, if I only had a banister.... which means I would need a staircase....which means I would need a second floor...uhhh, I better stop while I'm ahead!

Have a super sweet day!
Hugs,
Gina

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Rhoda ~ Your banister looks fantastic in the mahogany! Mine is currently oak (even the spindles), which I would have loved to paint but I think my hubby would have had a heart attack. It's okay though, we will be down-sizing soon and I'm looking for one floor living, so I will just enjoy looking at yours and Kate's. Her is fantastic too, btw. I love the way she added the molding and wallpaper to the wall - what a difference in her "before" and "after" shots. Just beautiful!

Abbie said...

I just love the deep mahogany color you chose. Okay, my stairwell is going on my project list. Abbie

Natalie Meester said...

Rhoda,

What a HUGE difference this made! Oh my gosh...I love the new look....very rich looking!

Lori E said...

I have been itching to do my railing too. I didn't know what to do with the white side boards though. I see you have both left them white and just painted the actual rails. Hmmm.

Angie said...

You were so right to stain that banister the darker color. It looks so much richer and goes more with your decor! I love that two story foyer you have!

Tracey said...

Very pretty. I love the black and white lamp in one of the pictures. I must have one!

Nancy Hood said...

wow! I love her after pics!! love your darker stain as well as the black knobs on the chest. I don't leave many comments, Rhoda, but love coming here :) I always leave a better person.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, what a transformation in your railings and in Kates. They are both just absolutely stunning and look so up to date. I'm not a real fan of light wood and both of these look fabulous. Hugs, Marty

brooke said...

You are a mind reader. Every time I think "gosh, I'd like to paint my banister or beadboard my island" up pops a post from you--I love love love it!

Anonymous said...

That was a great difference on your railings, Rhoda! What a great job this gal did from inspiration from you! I'm going to go and visit her!
Have a beautiful day!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bridget said...

Praise the Lord I found you again Rhoda!! I've been trying to talk the hubby into changing our stairs foreverrrrrr and well he's not biting. This will be the trick..I love the look and he will like the easy factor. You inspire me and many others too.

Question for you...We're ripping out the carpet in the den and I want to put in a dark hardwood-walnut color. My other hardwoods are light, more blonde looking in the kitchen and foyer. Is it o-k if they don't match?
Be good,
Bridget

Stephanie said...

oooh Rhoda, I love it! I have light oak bannister & railings which i can't bear! My hubby won't let me paint them, but I think this just might do the trick. I am going to go to your how-to post right now!

Richella Parham said...

Hi Rhoda--

Your banisters look so much better, and so do Kate's!

In my old house, I took things one step further and had my banisters painted BLACK. I hated the light oak railings. Painted black, though, with the white spindles, I thought they looked wonderful. It did take a bit of work--sanding, oil-based paint, then a top coat of polyurethane for extra protection. That's why I had it done by professional painters. But a talented DIYer could do the same thing; it would just take some patience.

Have a great day!

Cassie said...

What a great transformation...love the darker stain! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your blog!

Reid said...

LOVE it....my hubby is not going to like you ladies for much longer. First, getting me hooked on thrifting now staining! :)

Tracy Watier said...

Wow Rhoda! I hadn't seen your bannister transformation before... what a difference! I love it that you're willing to tackle something like that. And that you inspired Kate to do something so beautiful too... you must be so proud. One day soon, I'll show you what you've inspired ME to do!

Runner Mom said...

Wow!! And no priming, huh? Rhoda, chikcadee, you need to write a book at some point!!! I am going to road trip to Katie's blog after a shower (just ran and then put a coat of polyurthane on a cute table that I'll post about later this week!!).

Hugs!
Susan

blushing rose said...

Whoa! That is awesome the contract. The house area is gorgeous too. Wouldn't have thought of this ... TTFN ~Marydon

Home as Hobby said...

Wow! I just got through sanding, priming & painting my bannister because I thought I would have to endure months of sanding to simply darken it. ARG! If I would have only known....Thanks for the pics! I still have 2 bathrooms worth of oak cabinets to do...I am going to follow your directions! Thanks a million! It looks gorgeous!

Signing Out said...

This is a great idea! I'm going to put it on my list of projects to do at home. I follow Kate's blog and love it, too. Thanks for sharing this. You are both very talented.

Jane

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

WOW! What great transformations! I am totally inspired. Our banister is the exact color that yours was before you spiffed it up. Right when you walk in the front door it’s the first thing you see in our home. We’ve talked about darkening it for long time but we’ve taken on other projects and put that on the back burner. Now that I see what a difference it makes and by what you say it seems fairly easy I just may take this project on this weekend. Where did you purchase your product? I love the color you selected as well. No sanding right? Was it hard keeping the product off the white railings?
Thanks for much for sharing! Looks like I need to look through your old post to see what I missed.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Hi Rhoda! Your new stairs look great. I wold love to do this in my home, and paint the spindles white. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how did I miss this post first time around?? What a change it made to your entryway and to Kate's! I hope this great product is available in Canada. Luv the fact there is no sanding, priming or prep work involved beforehand.

Would it be a good product to use on teak furniture? I've been thinking of giving our bedroom set an update "in true Rhoda style" with maybe a darker color stain, new hardware, etc. TFS! Sheila

Jenny said...

Both stair cases are gorgeous! Love it!

Rachel said...

Hi Rhoda! The banister looks great. I have a question for you.

I purchased a baby crib and dresser from a yard sale this weekend and they are in IMPECCABLE shape. However, they are the blondish oak and I'm not too fond of the color. I had plans to stain/refinish them but I didn't know where to start!

Would this method be good for them you think? Do you think I would need to sand?

It seems to good to be true!

Rosie said...

The mahogany color looks great! Think I could do my oak kitchen cabinets? How does it wear?
rosie

Four Paws and Co said...

Wonderful idea! I can think of a couple of projects for the polyshades. Love Kates banisters. I'll go visit with her next. ☺ Diane

Ali said...

I JUST bought that exact same color of Polyshades for my "turning-an-old-door-into-a-headboard" project, beautiful! I am so excited to try it, it looks gorgeous in your photos! And I checked out Kate's post and her banister is gorgeous too! Now I can't decide if I want to try to go darker... ;-) Thanks for posting this!!

karisa said...

so you really didn't have to sand the banister first before applying the stain?? sounds too easy to be true!! :) did you do any taping?

i may tackle ours soon.

klawellin said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Great Job!!!

Just became a follower! ; )

Kimberly

Daisy Cottage said...

Fabulous Rhoda! It looks awesome! You've done it again!

((((hugs))))
Kim

A New England Girl said...

GORGEOUS projects!! Both yours and Kate's!! I am so glad you showed us these... I love the results you both got. I especially love how Kate used the wallpaper detail. Both of your projects add so much warmth to the stairs. LOVE IT! :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

The dark wood is stunning! Thanks for the link over to Centsational Girl's blog - I've been perusing it for over an hour!

Great redo my friend!
ButterYum

Unknown said...

Sweet! Love the before and afters..always! I like the darker wood so much better. have a good one!

Joyce said...

I really admire the way you just dive in and do these changes without fear of the outcome. I am usually hesitant to try something new, but have used several of your ideas. Thanks for the inspiration and courage!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Ladies, just to answer a few questions on how I did my railings. I did NOT sand at all, nor did I tape off the white spindles (call me crazy)and as I mentioned in the first post (be sure to click on that link at the top for my original post with all the details), I just used a cheap chip brush that I could simply throw away after using, since this stuff is oil-based.

Polyshades can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. It's a Minwax product, you can see the can in my original post. The stain & poly are all in one can, so what it basically does is color right on top of the old stain finish and doesn't penetrate, but acts like paint, but is still see-through, make sense? You can still see the woodgrain through it. I did find out by trial and error that the Bombay Mahogany seemed to cover better, with a darker finish. I tried Dark Walnut too, but it wasn't nearly as deep in application as the Bombay was. I would say to get a small can & try it out. YOu could mix in a darker shade of stain too to darken it even more & that was my intention to have it really really dark brown. It turned out a little more red than I wanted, but I'm still happy wit hit. You should be able to paint over any wood with this and it will stick fine. Get a small can and test it out first and see how to work with it.

It really did work very easy for me. It was almost one coat coverage for the most part, I went back in a few spots & touched them up later to darken them completely.

Cindy said...

Rhoda, your railing looks really great. I am wondering if I could us that same product on my oak china cabinet. I was going to paint it white as well as a pedestal dining rm table. But I recently fell in love with a vintage table and chairs and purchased them for my din. rm. They suit my house so well, the china cab actually looks better than it did and I am wondering if I should just make it darker to match the vintage table and chairs. That might be the answer! I will need to see if we can get it in Canada. Hugs, ~cindy s~

Kate Riley said...

Say it with me now, "Rhoda for President !" Or Governor, or Mayor ! You are such a can-do gal, and you inspire us all.

Big hugs,
Kate

Decor To Adore said...

I think my dated oak cabinets are in for a surprise.

I hope to take some time soon and go back in time through all of your great posts.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

This post couldn't have come at a better time! We bought an old mantle this weekend (and by "we" I mean the mister...and I was SHOCKED! In a good way. :-) and it needs to be darkened a notch or two. Sounds like it could be Polyshades to the rescue!

The Pifer's said...

I LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I did the same thing to our stair handrail. Only mistake is that I didn't sand it first so the mahogany stain has worn off...now I have to redo it. This time I will sand first!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Rhoda...this looks great! Where did you buy the Polyshades? You may have mentioned that in your post...I'll go back and check. Really looks great! Susan

grannyann said...

I like your darker stain. Kates foyer is absolutely beautiful and WHAT a difference.

Kristin said...

I like the darker stain too. It gives a much richer texture and look to your banister. Good job!

Kathysue said...

Rhoda, great way to update your bannister,they look great. Simple and hardly no cost other than the labor, good advice! Hugs Kathysue

Embellished Bayou said...

Your railings turned out beautifully. I did the same thing to my kitchen cabinets last summer.
http://embellishedbayou.blogspot.com/2009/06/kitchen-cabinet-re-do-diy.html

Michelleigh said...

Seeing both yours and Kate's dark handrail against a lighter hardwood floor has really calmed down the constant anxiety I've been feeling since we decided on a hardwood color. We want light hardwoods (like yours) and our handrail is stained darker (somewhere between yours and Kate's). Love your blog! :) Keep up the great inspiration!

Pat said...

I would love to do this to a oak bathroom vanity to update it a bit, my problem is that the side of the vanity is laminated. Any suggestions?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Pat, you might be able to add a sheet of beadboard on the ends of your cabinets that could be stained. Or how about painting them a color? Creamy white or dark brown? I love painted oak cabinets the best.