Sunday, January 13, 2008

Exciting Lighting News!

When we first moved here 2 years ago, one of the first things on my checklist of things that I wanted to change out eventually was all the builder's brass light fixtures that were in every single room & closet of this house. Now, I've done the shiny brass thing over the years & I don't absolutely hate brass, but bronze has definitely gotten my attention more in the last 5 years or so. I just love the darker patina & feel it gives in a home, so with that in mind, I've managed to change out many of the standard (read cheap!) fixtures in the bathrooms, hallways, spare bedrooms, closets, front porch, kitchen, etc. In fact, with my yard sale prowess, I've gotten some smokin' deals on several fixtures (remember the kitchen chandy yardsale find?) & have shared many of them here with you. So, now there are only 2 major fixtures left in the house to replace, those being the foyer & the diningroom. Needless to say, light fixtures have been on my mind from day one & I'm always on the lookout. The budget didn't allow me to just go out & replace all of them at the same time, so the yardsale finds have just been a really fun way for me to get my wish & keep the costs way down too. With that thought in mind, hubby agreed with me on taking part of my last paycheck & finally changing out those last 2 fixtures...can you see a happy dance coming here! Without further fanfare, let me introduce our new foyer fixture. And of course, there's a story here & a deal involved, so I have to share both. I had been longingly looking for at least 2 years at a beautiful drum-shaped lantern style darker bronze foyer fixture with seeded glass at Lowes. Everytime I went in there, I stared up at it, dreaming that when the time came...THAT was the fixture I was going to get for the foyer. So, months went by and I had that fixture in the back of my mind. I was in there around October or so, went to see MY fixture & lo & behold...it was gone from the display! Completely. I was really bummed. I asked at the lighting desk about it, they suggested I look through the Lowes book, so I did. It had surely been discontinued. No picture. I had no idea what the item # was (I should have written it down!). Anyway, I recently went back again & talked to one of the guys in lighting. I described the fixture to him & he did an online search, I even remembered the price $158. He came up with an item #, but no picture, called the manufacturer for me, it wasn't being made anymore. We weren't even positive it was the right fixture, but it had been on clearance for $39. I left & he called me a few days later & told me that he had found one left in the Lowes system in Alabama & that they would have it shipped from another city to my store. I could go & look at it & see if it was the right one. If I didn't want it, that was fine too, they would resell it. Are you still with me?! So, of course I rushed to the store when they called to tell me it was in. We opened the big box & I peered in, hoping it was the right one....and IT WASN'T!

But, I really liked this fixture too & it was close enough to my inspiration fixture that I knew it would work...and it was on clearance for $39! It's a dark Antique Brass & will flow very well with all my other fixtures too! After I took it out of the box & put it all together, I love it even more. It stands 28" tall & is very stately. It's quite a bit bigger than the old one. Our house is a split foyer & when you come in the front door & look up you see the fixture. Here's the shiny brass one that I'm replacing. Yes, they are both lantern style, but the new one is so much more elegant. Can't you see the new one up here? And you can see the close proximity of the diningroom fixture too, so I need to find something that flows into there too. These are both old pics of the diningroom, but you can see both fixtures well. Here's the 12-light brass chandelier in the DR. It's not an ugly fixture (and I could paint it), but I really would like to upgrade it to something more stylish, yet classic, since I have those funds put aside.

I really like this one, but hubby doesn't care for it. He said it was too plain! I think it's classy & classic. It's from Restoration Hardware. Now at $650, it's not in the budget, so I'm going to have to find a substitute. So, I'll be on the hunt for a diningroom fixture too. I may end up with a more traditional style in bronze, so it will be fun to get out there & look. There are lots of places here I can shop, I think I'll go out browsing locally one day. I've been all over the internet looking too. I may end up with some variation of this style, but won't know til I get out there & shop. This one is from Pottery Barn, but I doubt he'll like this one either. I've got an opinionated man & he already said he wants to vote on them. Luckily, he really liked the foyer light I found. This will be my mission for the next few weeks, so it should be fun. Maybe I'll find a great deal for the diningroom too!

I've got new light fixtures on the brain now. We are going to attempt to hang the foyer fixture together, so wish us luck! We'll need a tall sturdy ladder cause this thing is very heavy, so I hope we can get it up there. We may end up calling an electrician, we'll see! I will definitely show you when it's installed.
We're off this afternoon to enjoy some sunshine on this nice Winter day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Debra from Bungalow said...

You are such a BRAT!!! Always getting the best deals. It's lovely & will look wonderful.
Hugs, DebraK

Jen said...

When we bought the home we are in now...we replaced all of the lights except the Dining Room....its the standard brass like yours.....I'm sure I will be wanting to replace it too in the near future.....light shopping can drive a woman nuts though....

OKGardners said...

Love your new foyer light. It will look perfect. You DO find the best deals. Can't wait to see more...

Betty in Oklahoma

Anonymous said...

Well that all worked out! I really like your new light fixture and you sure can't beat that price!

Have you tried the Georgia Lighting Outlet or the Pottery Barn Outlet. A friend recently went to the PB outlet and found an amazing deal on a rug and he said that the store is twice as big as it used to be.

Manuela

Donna said...

I like your new light fixture and what a deal! I had a brass chandelier over our DR table and painted it black. It now looks like wrought iron. Looks great!
Have a good day!
Donna

Rosemary said...

Good luck hanging that light up.
I think you guys can do it.
Good luck with finding the chandelier of your dreams.
Hope you find one that you both like.
Can't wait to see.
Rosemary

Rosie's Whimsy said...

The new foyer light is great.....and i adore the one from Restoration Hardware....very classy.....wouldn't be in my budget either...yikes! Good Luck finding the perfect one you BOTH like :-)

Unknown said...

Love your new light fixture and can't wait to see it in it's new place. Love that you got such a deal on it also. Good luck with your hunt for a dining room fixture.

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

Well my Mom and Aunt have left so I've spent the day catching up on my blog reading. It's been fun reading all your posts I've missed. I love the new foyer fixture and your favorite chair looks like it would work wonderfully in my house too. Beautiful!

Hope your weekend was good.

Hugs!
Kat

Judy said...

I love your light fixture deal. One day you'll have to teach me how do wiring, etc. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog of family beach pictures. That picture is 4 years old and I've packed on about 20 lbs since then due to some health issues and a slip and fall at work that left me in a cast for 6 months unable to exercise and I just got real out of shape. This week hubby and I have resolved to do something about our weight....pray we keep up this resolution.
Talk to ya later - Judy

Anonymous said...

Such great posts! Fun to see the lights!

Good luck with it all, talk to you soon!

xoxo

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

I love the new foyer fixture, and I LOVE the inspiration dining room fixture from Restoration Hardware! You have such a great eye and decorating talent and are so generous and supportive. This is why I'm giving you the "You Make My Day" award--I hope you'll pick it up from my blog!
~Angela :-)

Beverly Dillow said...

I saw your blog at Lavender Hill and I love your home. I love your decorating style. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Steph said...

Don't you just love a good deal! I like the new fixture... I think it will look great!

Sandi McBride said...

I'm about to change out the brass chandalier for a nickel one...it's so pretty and can't wait for it to be put up...you are such a lucky girl to be able to not only find a fixture you like better than the one of your dreams, but on sale, too??? How blessed is that???
hugs
Sandi

CIELO said...

We have the same problem! We are thinking of replacing all original light fixtures around the house... but what do we do with the old ones???? What is your plan? Are you selling them?

Have a lovely day

Cielo

becky said...

I'm just now catching up on your blog...So congrats on your new job position. I know you will find the perfect thing to keep you busy, as if you don't stay busy enough! Undoubtedly, you will be AMAZING at whatever you choose to do - you have an utterly unfair amount of God-given talent! Just remember ...Whatever you do, do it wholeheartedly as though you were working for your real master and not merely for humans.
Colossians 3:17 :)

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

good deal...now i have some light fixtures to hang too...but i am afraid that i can't do it...happy hanging...blessings today, rebecca

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

It will look great!
That is going to take one tall ladder. Clean the glass once and never again.

Julie said...

Those are really beautiful too..but I do love your brass fixtures as well. Our barn is so casual that I used brushed aluminum door knobs and I had to find out the hard way that the exterior ones do not keep their finish. They were made by Baldwin and not cheap either! The solid brass ones are guaranteed for life.

Mary said...

What a great story, Rhoda! Good luck putting it up. All I can say is - you are both very brave!
xoxo,
Mary

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Rhoda, just beautiful..love your foyer fixture. Lighting can make such a big difference. Isn't it nice you finally got what you had been wanting for a while?? Makes it all that much more special.

Tonja said...

Love the new fixture! Be sure to show us how it looks when you get it hung. Loved the RH fixture, too. I am thinking of using that Pot.Barn fixture in our new house. I am having a farm table built out of old wood to seat 20, and I plan to use that over the table. There is one that is quite a bit larger than the one you showed and I think it will take that to look right.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Beautiful light fixture!
I glad it worked out for in the end.
I'm sure you'll find the perfect one for the dining room, too. And knowing you, it will probably be a great bargain as well. :)

Kimberly

Southern Heart said...

Good for you finding such a special bargain! I think that it's very smart looking! You'll find the perfect one for the dining room, too!

I also love your red crock-pot! That is downright sassy! :)

xo,

Andrea

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Love the new fixture! I too am slowly doing away with all the brass in my home (chosen by the previous owners). It's so fun to upgrade.

PS - I'm new to your blog...found you from BooMama!

Free Art Printables said...

Love the lamp, and what a great deal! I'm glad you decided to keep it!
Jen R

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi! I found your blog via Betty's...I love your DR decor...and I think the new looks is nice but I still enjoy the black tones from the little chandelier shades. Either way is nice!

~ Jillian

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi Rhoda! Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog...I'll definitely come back to see what decorating ideas you bring to the table!

I've entered you in my giveaway!

Thanks again,
Jillian

Barbara Jacksier said...

I, too, am obsessed by lighting. We are spiffing up our place in anticipation of a mega party in spring (My mom's 90th b-day and my son's college graduation.) Luckily, my husband isn't into lighting, although he gets to vote on room colors! Good luck.
Barbara

Elle Jay Bee said...

Isn't lighting fun?? I love your new ones (you know you'll find that second one...you are a master bargain hunter) and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Have fun on your search,
Linda
xoxo

Lallee said...

I'm loving your choices for your home. I've been slowly changing out our lighting. We've been here 16 years! I have the bathrooms and foyer left to do.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty home you have. I personally really like the Pottery Barn chandelier, but I suppose hubby deserves a say too!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I, too, suffer from what my husband calls a "light fixture fetish". What can I say? I think lighting is important and I love getting new ones. I like the bronze look, too. Having said that, I guess I should confess that most of ours in this house are the satin nickel. My husband loves that finish. Me? I'd rather go with the bronze. My favorite light in the whole house is actually in our "toilet" room in the master bath. It's a glass, beaded, kind of art-deco style light that just really does it for me. Hmm. Maybe I should seek some sort of therapy because it sounds like light fixtures may affect my mood much more than they probably should. lol
Love you new light, by the way and hope you find a great one for the dining room soon!
Kari

Terri Steffes said...

I love lighting. I think you got some very special deals. Next time I need new lighting, I am calling you to go with me to shop!

Deserae said...

LOve your new light for the foyer....what a great find! I can't wait to see what you find for the dining room! I'm sure it will be fabulous :o)
~Des

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Funny story about the light fixture. What a great guy to hunt one down for you, it's great looking. It will be a nice improvement over the one in the foyer. I remember those.

The DR one doesn't look like anything you've even had before. I'm sure you will find one at a good price any day now! I'll stayed tuned to see what you get.
Donna

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Rhoda,
Wow, what a sweet bargain, it's going to look just beautiful, can't wait to see it hung. I love your choices for the dining room, in fact I saw a show recently where they used the one with the candle looking lights in someone's living room, and it's gorgeous. I too have the brass fixture in my dining room and foyer..and I suppose I'll leave them, but I did change my kitchen to the bronze fixture, and the bedrooms too, I like both. Good luck with your selections, I'm sure they'll be beautiful as always.
Rose