Thursday, January 1, 2009

Powder Room Redesign

Before bath2

(click all pics for full view)

My client, Melissa, (for her family room makeover, click on the link) called me recently to come back and help her with the finishing touches on the powder room that she and her hubby had been working on. Melissa is great to work with. She knows what she likes and gets my advice on how to achieve it, then does the legwork herself. So, I went back recently to help her with the accessories in the powder room. As you can see here, they had some work to do to get off the old paper bag faux finish treatment that was glued to the walls. Anyone remember this brilliant decorating idea from a few years ago? Before Bath

This is an example of what not to do! Old World gone terribly wrong. I’ve seen this method done before and often wondered how it would be to remove later and from what Melissa said, it was a bear to get down. The sheetrock had to be repaired before any painting could be done, so they ended up using a textured paint to help hide the flaws. And it turned out beautifully…Bath after

AFTER: Melissa chose a soft blue for the walls and accented with black and white and orange. I advised her to decoupage her trashcan, so she picked a pretty zebra scrapbook paper and it looks wonderful.

Bath after 4

They are dog lovers and found a really nice original doggie painting at an art show and had it framed to go with the flow of the new look. Replaced the old mirror with a black oval one, and added a cute zebra nightlight. The orange accents really pop in the room. IMG_3346

She found a nice glass-front cabinet that fit nicely in the corner for storage, along with the orange vase and berries. Rolled up orange towels look great through the glass. She already had the other metal Chihuahua sign, so I used some ribbon she had on hand to hang it with. Bath after 2

After figuring out how we wanted to hang the shelves, her hubby put them up for us to accessorize and the prints and other things were added that Melissa had collected.

As you can see, this is a major difference in this small powder room with only a change of paint, new mirror, and a few added accessories. A real budget-busting makeover! Hope you got some nice ideas from it too.

The 2008 Top Projects Party is next Wednesday, so I hope you're getting your posts together. Click on the button to the left for all the details!

I have some other exciting news. One week from Saturday (Jan. 10th), I'll be heading to Atlanta to shop with Eddie Ross in his Scott's Antique market shopping trip! I can't wait for that and of course, I'll be blogging all about it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Those changes made a BIG difference! I love to see before and after photos! Thanks & Happy New Year!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Neat, Rhoda! Big Difference!!!

You lucky dog to get to shop with Eddie Ross, but he's lucky to get to shop with you, too! Y'all will have FUN! :-)

Happy New Year!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Rhoda,
What a major difference! Love the color scheme - blue and orange - sounds like Gator colors!
I posted a "design board" for a Powder Room re-do that we are currently working on. I added your link so others can check out your post for more inspiration.
How lucky for you to go shopping with Eddie Ross! I'm jealous! Have fun. Can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

I had to share this with my husband. We had a great laugh. We actually tore off an entire room of this decorating nono a few years ago and it was not fun. Brown paper sack removal is like working with wet mushy graham crackers. We had a total mess on our hands. Fortunatly, the walls were not damaged too much and we were able to paint it and make it look nice.

Beth at Aunties said...

What an incredible difference! It is bright and delicious now...

What a fun to shop with Eddie Ross!
Can't wait to hear all the juicy details and see the great finds:)

Happy New Years!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Much better! Wow - a shopping trip with Eddie Ross. We want to hear all about it and pictures.

Salmagundi said...

I enjoyed Melissa's makeover. Also, I'm looking forward to your Eddie Ross shopping trip - that should be loads of fun. Sally

akawest said...

That is a wonderful change. I like the unexpected orange color with the blue.

Terri Steffes said...

Thanks for sharing this makeover with us! For those of us who do a lot of wishing... it is fun to see someone actually go forth!

Angie said...

I love the powder room!! The colors look amazing together!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Big impact for a small space...looks great girl!! hugs and smiles Gloria

Justabeachkat said...

Happy New Year!

Hugs!
Kat

Caren said...

Wow! That looks SO much better. I love the doggie theme and the orange...two of my favorite things!

Happy New Year Rhoda!

sandra/tx said...

I'll bet you and Eddie will have a blast. Can't wait to read about the excursion on y'all's blogs.

The powder room redo look so fresh and inviting. Didn't we learn about that paper bag treatment from Lynette Jennings? Oy vey.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Oh, I love Eddie! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

I hear you're going to Blissdom. I look forward to meeting you:-)


Happy New Year!!

Trixi said...

Rhoda, as usual, it looks great. I just wish you lived near me.LOL

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Beautiful transformation, Rhoda! Great color choices with the soft blue, orange and b/w for the neutrals. They incorporate meaningful pieces very tastefully, too. Kudos on the idea to decoupage the wastebasket! I always forget about the many wonderful uses of decoupage (brown paper sack wall treatments excluded) and you always remind me.
Looking forward to seeing everyone's contributions next Wednesday!

Unknown said...

How beautiful! You are so lucky to get to shop with Eddie Ross -- he is amazing! I hope you have a blast.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love all the little accents in the small place. The orange is fun, too. Love it!! Kudos to you and Melissa.

Anonymous said...

My friend did the paper bag faux finish probably 20 years ago. Great transition. You wouldn't even know it's the same room.

Lettered Cottage said...

Hey! No fair! :-)
I've wanted to go to that Flea Market ever since I heard about it through the HGTV Green Home.
I'm jealous!

I hope you find lots of goodies!

Layla

Anonymous said...

Big difference. Never did get into the paper bag thing... I guess because I knew what a hassle it would be taking it down. YIKES!

I like the clean new look...

Lawsy Mercy said...

Eddie Ross?!?! Wowsa! Cute transformation. I had my powder room this exact shade of blue for 5 years and just recently redid it to a linen/antique white. I have a pedestal sink also! I loved the blue, just got tired of it. Thanks for sharing this project.

Unknown said...

The powder room looks great! Love the blue color and accessories.

Eddie Ross?? I can't wait to see what the two of you come up with together!

Diane

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I think I'm the only one who's never heard of Eddie Ross - lol! Thanks for providing the link, Rhoda!

Dena said...

Oh I am so glad that you shared this! My front bathroom is a very pale shade of blue like this and I am really loving the way the black pops against it. Looks like I've found a new redecorating project to tackle! Thanks for the inspiration and Happy New Year :)

Hugs,
Dena

KM Studios said...

what a great transformation!
that blue is sooo much better.

and yes light blue looks great with orange accents..but also yellow or lime green works for a modern twist too.

great work as always!

Mary said...

Rhoda, Dark and dreary to fun and cheery..great transformation...I'm so glad you are going shopping with Eddie Ross..he's great but I bet you could teach him a thing or two about bargains!

Missy Wertz said...

Happy New Year Rhoda!

I like the redo on the powder room. I have some friends who have done the tuscany texture finish thing on their walls... I was wondering the same thing, "How do you get it off?"

I have enjoyed getting to know you this year.

Anonymous said...

I have one very tiny favor to ask of you.... please tuck me away in your pocket so I may go shopping with you and Eddie. I love him! I watched him this morning on Martha. You go girl and please tell him I said hi. Not that he would know who Susie Harris is or anything but I do think he is so creative. You lucky little ducky~

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

The powder room came out great! I have a black and white powder room I'm looking to give a "boost" to with orange towels. Love that combo. Just trying to find that perfect shade of orange towel (not easy!). And I *totally* remember that blink-and-you'll-miss-it paper bag wall "treatment." Thankfully, I blinked, and missed it. ;-)

I've been out of town for Eddie'e NYC fleas, but hoping to join him on one (and hopefully when it gets WARMER here. Brrrr!). I can't wait to read about your adventure!

Happy, happy new year! I've had a blast getting to know you this year...Thank you for your fun and inspriring blog.

Hugs from the shore house,
Laura

Denise K. said...

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas throughout the year. I wish you good health, happiness, and many blessings in 2009! With love from Colorado, Denise

Wendy said...

Nice powder room re-do! Have a good time shopping with Eddie Ross...how fun is that?

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a transformation! Looks so fresh and pretty! I especially love the zebra print accents :)! Happiest of Happy New Year's to you!! It's been such a joy to visit your blog this past year, and I can't wait to read about your upcoming adventures :)!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

You're going shopping with Eddie Ross? How fun! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Also can't wait for your 2008 Top Projects Party. I need to start figuring out what I want to post for that because I don't want to miss out on all the fun.

This is a fun makeover. You can't tell it's the same room! I cringed when I saw that old paper bag faux finish someone did. It looks like it really would be a pain to remove. Ugh. Worse than wallpaper. But you can't see any traces of it now. Great job, Melissa! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful powder room your friend has now. I love the idea of using scrapbook paper on the trash basket. Another use for scrap materials I would never have thought of. Yes, Rhoda, it has been extremely hard, but God is soooooo good and shows up with comfort and love every single day. xoxo

Decor To Adore said...

I never did like that "paper bag" treatment.
I can't wait to hear about your Eddie Ross excursion.

Free Art Printables said...

It looks great! Love the colors!

Southern Heart said...

Very lovely transformation! I hope that you have fun on your shopping adventure, too. I don't have too much computer time these days (hopefully not for long), and I wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy New Year!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Rhoda...great redo on the bath...love the new look. I've been hearing about the upcoming trip to Scotts. I used to go all the time when it was down in ATL. I guess it's still in the same place, though Lakewood Antiques Fair had to move a few years back. Scott's was always a lot nicer than Lakewood. Do you know what the $40 includes? I can't remember what it used to cost to into Scotts since I haven't been in a few years. Susan
P.S. Wouldn't it be fun to go and get a pic of all us bloggers together! :-)

Blondie's Journal said...

Wow-what a difference! Just goes to show that when two talented women put their heads together-watch out! Great work!
Janie

nikkicrumpet said...

What great changes. It looks so much brighter and softer. Amazing what a few simple changes can do. And it was worth all the work to get rid of the wall treatment!

Joanna said...

The touch of zebra is perfect! It looks great as all your designs do. *smiles* Happy New Years!

Becky K. said...

I wasn't sure I was going to like the orange...but I love it!

Very pretty!

Blogger said...

Hi Rhoda!

Happy New Year!

I just love this bathroom, it's so classic, yet fun, too!

My office/playroom (big mistake with that combo, lol) is light blue with dark brown furniture and white/silver accents, too, but I think orange would be a nice pop of color in there...as soon as I get the toys into the basement...but the basement needs a total redo as well..well as soon as I get all of that done...then I can go shopping for some ORANGE!

Thanks for sharing your great makeover with us!

Bella

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very nice Rhoda! I've often wondered about removing that type of wallcovering too. Definitely not something to do unless you want to live with it forever!

Gosh, I haven't been to Scotts in forever! I always preferred Lakewood. I can't wait to hear all about it. I wonder if a lot of the Lakewood vendors decided to do the outside of Scotts or if they all moved up to the new location?

Manuela

Southern Fried Gal said...

How fun to get to shop with Eddie Ross! He was such a hoot on the show. I can't wait to see your post!