Thursday, February 26, 2009

Inspiration Board: Contemporary Family Room

I just finished up another inspiration board for Linda in Florida, who sent me an email saying, HELP! I need your help with our familyroom! The room has great potential and she has some nice pieces of furniture, but it just needed some rearranging and some additional art and accessories. She gave me ideas on colors that she and her hubby enjoy and they really like earthtones of chocolate brown, gold, green, and orangey red. She sent me pics of her space from all angles and I got busy with some planning.

Foyer looking into Family Rm

I suggested that she get a larger lamp for her foyer table and move the smaller accessories out, as well as lower the mirror that‘s hanging over it.

End of Foyer looking into Family Rm

And since her TV is sitting straight ahead coming in the frontdoor, I suggested she completely flip the sofa around to opposite to where it is now and the TV/entertainment center would go on the left wall. She wanted a piece of furniture to house the TV, so I found something that would mix well with her on the contemporary side furniture.

Hallway looking into Family Rm

I suggested that she move the large glass front cabinet to the wall (in first pic) where the console table is currently. That way, it would be the first thing that people see when they walk in the door. A great focal piece.

View #2 from Sunroom into Family Rm

So, with some rearranging of furniture, a new rug, art, and accessories, this room will really come alive. They are keeping the current wall color. She’s got a large coffee table under the pass-through window (which is going to be uncovered) which should be utilized in front of the sofa and I gave her an option of another chair and ottoman.

View from Master BR into Family Rm

Once the sofa is flipped, I suggested she put the large console table where the TV is currently and add a large piece of artwork over it. Another nice focal point for guests coming in the door.

View from Sunroom into Family Rm

And here’s the inspiration board I came up with for her to look at. She was very pleased with my suggestions for furniture rearranging, as well as items to put in her updated room. I gave her several rug suggestions and she really liked the beige floral rug the best. With the addition of some of these colorful pillows, the new rug, and artwork, I can’t wait to see this room when Linda is finished with it.




Linda Living Room
Linda Living Room - by Rhoda12 on Polyvore.com



Linda Living Room Rugs
Linda Living Room Rugs - by Rhoda12 on Polyvore.com






If anyone would like an Inspiration board, please click here for details. I'd love to help you.

Also, my blog makeover will be happening on Friday night if all goes well, so if things look strange around here, that is why. The new look is going to be SO nice, so stay tuned for a better look around here and an easier to navigate blog.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

28 friends stopped by:

Sandi McBride said...

I just love staging a room...or I love watching a room being staged, not me really...HGTV is one of my favorite spots for it...second to you!
Sandi

savvycityfarmer said...

B'gosh I think you've got it girl!!!!


Are u hiring?

Joanna said...

I can't wait to see what she does! It's gonna look great!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, I think the room will be so pretty when it is done. You gave her such pretty options and suggestions to really make the room warm and cozy as well as very inviting and beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see it when it's done. I love earth tones - our living area is all warm earth tones and I think it's so cozy and welcoming.

Unknown said...

I love your ideas, isn't it difficult to design a room with just pictures? I'm thinking that would be hard to do.

Anonymous said...

I think those boards make it so difficult to SEE the room, I like what Layla does over at the Lettered Cottage so much better, she draws everything out for you, no offense but anyone can pick items and group them together NO ? It's the building of the room that most people have trouble with I find.


Karen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Loved looking at these, Rho, neat! Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Sorry that you got such a rude anonymous comment up there Rhoda. You don't deserve that. Obviously, that person has never worked directly with clients before. Not enough to know that you most likely also gave them a nice written diagram of the room along with suggestions and THEN the inspiration board. And not enough to know that NOT everyone can pick out items and group them together. That is why they call on help from a pro. That is why your client called you, Rhoda.

Have a nice weekend!
~Misti

Kelley said...

I love all of your suggestions. Beautiful!

Pam said...

I love the new look. thanks for sharing these ideas!
Pam

Unknown said...

Rhoda, Love the ideas you have. You are so good at decorating that you can help anyone.

Thanks for all your kind words. You are a sweetheart.

Cynthia

Jen said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! I swear to you that her living room is almost completely IDENTICAL TO MINE as far as shape & front door location and the angled walls. I am NOT joking! This is SCARY! LOL I even have that door to the left like hers that has the arched door way except mine is normal and leads to my master bedroom. I have 3 arched openings where her angled walls are solid. That's freaky! LOL!

I love the layout of what she had and what you have suggested. I don't know *how* to do the floating furniture thing and it look right. I am BAD about shoving things against the wall. :(

Great GREAT ideas on placing the furniture. OH---where she will be placing her glass front cabinet, I have a corner stone face fireplace... Unfortunately, it really does mess with how I can set up my living room.

Kathi said...

Love the suggestions you gave your client for rearranging her furniture. I'm sure that will make a huge difference in her room!
I tried using Polyvore myself but haven't quite figured it out.
Can't wait to see your blog update!
Happy Friday!

Kris said...

Love the earthy tones that you've picked out for your client. I hope we see photos of the new room once complete.

Kris

Runner Mom said...

Your ideas are great! I love the pops of color that you've suggested. And, getting the larger lamp in the foyer sounds like a winner. I saw some of the most beautiful large lamps last week at Marshalls...a little out of my price range...but beautiful!!

Hugs,
Susan

Tiffany said...

Hi Rhoda! Remember me?!

I used to come by all the time, but some how I lost my subscription to your blog. Well, I just resubscribed and got your feed in my reader, so we're back in business.

Great suggestions here!

Anonymous said...

Love the suggestions and the colors! Can't wait to see what's next :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karen, as much as I love Layla (we are friends) & her ideas, I don't do drawings like that, so this is my rendition for an inspiration board & that's why you should hire Layla if you need help. And in response to your comment about anyone being able to put things together, NO, in my experience there are a lot of people who have no clue how to put things together, so these boards will give them a visual idea of how their new room can look. The furniture arranging is just an extention of this whole picture. I gave her detailed instructions on how I thought the furniture should be arranged & hopefully that will work out. It's sometimes hard to move furniture around in pics as the scale can't be seen completely.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Rhoda, how creative and cleaver of you to come up with an inspirational board for people who struggle with interior design. I wish you well on this new venture.

You certainly have the talent, sources and know how to help people. You go, girl!

Donna@designson47thstreet

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a great inspiration board!! Love those colors together, I'm actually helping my mother decorate her new home in that palette! :)

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

If that's the makeover you can do on a room, I can't wait to see what you can do to your blog! ;-)

Unknown said...

What beautiful inspiration pictures! The room looks like it will be beautiful!

Denise K. said...

I loved all your ideas Rhoda and can't wait to see the finished product! How exciting to have a new blog makeover...I just did the same and revealed it this morning! Fun stuff! Your button is also on our site!

I have just a few 'southern' questions to ask you since I am so anxious to visit there one day. First, can you share a good recipe for sweet tea? Secondly, how would you describe southern decorating to a reader? Is it a feel, a certain use of elements?

I loved reading your posts under "around the south" and of course I LOVE seeing how you decorate your own home!

BTW, we used "Whole Wheat" for most of our main floor...the painters are still here!

With love from Colorado,
Denise :-)

Sofia Striffler said...

Rhoda,

I finally figured out how to follow you on my blog. Thanks for your advice and help through our e-mails. I am looking forward to your new look.
Sofia Expressive Creations

Sandy said...

Rhoda, you are so good! I can't wait to see the new look ...

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love the ideas Rhoda suggested. The room has way too much beige and is in desperate need of color. I can say this because this is my room! I love the suggestions that Rhoda came up with. As a matter of fact I will be shopping for some of the items today. Along with the inspiration boards I was sent a TWO page detailed description of furniture & accessory placement. So, thank you again Rhoda for a job well done. You gave us the inspiration we needed to make our room a more comfortable and pretty place to hang out! I will update you with pictures once completed.

Linda

Anonymous said...

I love the blog updates. I can't copy your little button. It gives me a red circle when I scroll over it :( I wanted to add your blinkie to my blog! Anyway, I am always lurking over here and I like the new look. Congratulations!