Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Work in Progress

Cabinet with molding

Work is in progress on the white corner cabinet. I decided to add a little picture frame molding to the doors, so those are now dry and it’s ready for the 2nd coat of paint.

Crown

Also used a little piece of leftover molding from the dining room project to add a little extra crown to it. I like to add a little bit of detail whenever I can on things like this. It just makes a difference in the finished project.

Burlap

This might sound really strange, but I’ve decided to put burlap on the back walls. After doing my lampshades in burlap last year, I’ve wanted to do more with it and I thought the texture and tone would work nice with this piece.  I’m going to do a little bit to it with stenciling or painting, not sure yet, so that’s still to be decided.  I don’t think much of this will show after I get dishes in there anyway, but it will look nice peeking out.

Knobs

And while at Hobby Lobby picking up the burlap, I checked out their knobs and look what I found?!  I love these and they will be like little pieces of jewelry.

Stay turned for the finished piece!  I’ll get this all done before the granite is installed in a few weeks, so it’s going to feel like a new kitchen.

Don’t forget the Spring Fluffing party tomorrow. I hope you’ve got your posts ready to link up to Mr. Linky.  I’ll try to get the post up later tonight and we can get an early start on Wednesday’s party. 

 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Cant wait to see the finished piece~

Amanda said...

LOVE this! I cant wait to see the end result. Im up to my arms in green paint today- we're painting my 6yo olds room. honestly I would rather be painting a piece of furniture- I like detail painting. If you soo my post today there is a sneak peak of the colors & theme.

Amanda said...

ahhhahaha I meant to say "if you see my post today"

Lovely Little Nest said...

Looks great so far!

And I love the burlap idea; those knobs are adorable!

A Hint of Home said...

What a great find! It's looking very different already and I can't wait to see it all finished.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

This is gonna be so cool Rhoda! I am so into burlap these days. Walmart has it super cheap, and I am wanting to cover my ugly lamp shades and make some wall art out of it too!
~Misti

The Bramble Patch said...

It's coming along! Love the moulding and the hardware. Um, when do you sleep? :D

Darlene said...

I can't wait to see the finished piece!! It looks GREAT already!

Unknown said...

It's been a while since I've been out and about in bloggerville and had to stop by here--never a disappointment! Love what you are doing with the cab! The burlap will look great!

Unknown said...

I think that burlap is a fabulous choice (I'm sure that you were SO worried about what I would think! :))
I've been thinking of ways to use some burlap in my home recently, may have to head to Wally World and get some!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

She's looking BEAUTIFUL!!! And I almost suggested burlap the other day -- saw a bulletin board with burlap and nailhead trip around it and it was so elegant. AND, the molding is perfect. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda: This is going to look so good! I love the moulding and the hardware! And I am a fan of burlap as I just completed a burlap tablecloth, but that stuff is a little on the messy side to work with! lol
Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Lou Cinda :)

Breathing In Grace said...

You make me want to just rush out and buy something to paint...or paint something I already have. I'm from the "old school"...where you just don't paint beautiful stained wood...I'm going to have to get over that fear, huh??? I can't wait to see the finished product!!! Thanks for the little "teases"!!! Love your blog!!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Good job Rho! Love the burlap idea.

I post about a great find too, come see.

Julie said...

It is going to be beautiful - I can tell!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Joanna said...

Burlap? Would have never thought of that. That's why your so awesome Rhoda!! Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Burlap doesn't sound strange at all! LOVE it. I can't wait to "meet" the finished piece.

I don't think I'll be able to fluff in time for tomorrow. :-) But I can't wait to see what everyone else does.

Aubrey said...

Burlap! I think you're a genius--I would never have thought of it, even though I love burlap on stuff, and now I wish I had thought of it first. I can't wait to see how you attach it and how it turns out.

You's a quick worker--it would take me a week to get that painted and then the paint job wouldn't look that nice. I guess it would be easier without the three little ones underfoot, expecting to be fed three times a day.

Carrie said...

Oh my! I love your corner cabinet. I stumbled onto one myself at a junk shop not too long ago. I painted mine navy and left the back a dark wood tone, but I love your use of burlap!! So smart. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

LOVE the detail you added! Watch out, you're going to be as obsessed as me!!! I have those iron knobs and love them!

Natalia said...

I am staying tuned!!!

Can't hardly wait :-D

Anonymous said...

I love the burlap-glad to see you going for it!
Any chance you could share your paint and color, plz????

imjacobsmom said...

Great idea! I'm glad you thought of it! I like how you are dressing that up! ~ Robyn

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, you are really teasing us! I can't wait to see that corner cabinet. That is a great idea to add moulding on the doors and the top. Are you really cutting and attaching all by yourself! I depend on handy hubby to do all that, but I am truly impressed...sounds like you are doing it!

cotedetexas said...

Do you ever sit still? You are always doing some great project! Come to my house! I love the trim on the cabinet - you are so right, it's the little details that really make a difference. I just bought some burlap feed bags that I am going to make into pillows - itchy! Wish me luck!!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** STOP IT, RHODA!!! Now you just STOP IT, OK???! I am N-O-T joking here, girlfriend!!! ~~~ I can't W*A*I*T to see the end result!!!!!!!!! Hurry, please!!! (I truly AM "NOT joking"~~~ I'm soo looking forward to seeing this... it's gonna be FAB!!!) Warmest, supportive hugs, Linda ***

Stacey said...

I like the burlap idea. I like the color and texture. Your knobs are awesome!

Helen said...

Just when I begin to think 'I could never do that' I read a post of yours ... and then I'm inspired all over again to 'just do it!'

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. I know it is going to be wonderful. Rhonda, I am going to have to be out of town for the next few days...so I put my spring pictures up a few mins ago. If you can add me tom to mr. linky I would love you for it. But if not that's okay too. I can't wait to see everyone's post when I return. thanks

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The molding just adds so much to the cabinet. It realy enhances it. I can't wait to see the burlap, that sounds really interesting. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

I must finally found some of our Spring decorations. That's what happens when you move...you have no idea where anything is.
I found a few items and put together a tablescape.
I'll probably purchase some tulips this weekend.

Deb said...

I love the knobs very unique

Angie said...

I can't wait to see this piece all dressed up with burlap and the cute knobs!

Unknown said...

Amazing, you can't even tell it's the same cabinet. It's beautiful and I love the handles.

Natalie said...

I LOVE what you've done so far! I can't wait to see the finished project. Those knobs are to die for -- I am so wishing we had a Hobby Lobby near us!!

savvycityfarmer said...

it will be grand!!!!!

I can't wait.....

Kathi said...

LOOKING good! Can't wait to see more! How do you ever find the time to get so much accomplished?!
All I do is make lists of things to do!

Victoria Hayden said...

I love working with burlap too! I redid a bookshelf in a bedroom makeover for a client and added burlap to the back and it looked great. It gave just enough of the seashore feel I wanted. I can't wait to see this finished! Love the knobs as well,Hobby Lobby is one of my favorite places!!

~Victoria~

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

The burlap is a great idea! Will you be stenciling it like it was one of those grain or coffee sacks in maybe french writing? That may look super cool! Can't wait to see it!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

You just never stop going and going and going :)

I think I'm going to love your new cabinet for the kitchen very much! I agree with adding a little decorative trim work whenever possible. It certainly does make all the difference to a piece. From ordinary to something very, very special.

Blessings,

Sher

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

The corner cabinet is going to be amazing when you are finished. I love the knobs and the burlap. Can't wait to see it once it is done. Love & blessings from NC!

Free Art Printables said...

Love that idea! I's very Ballard!

momof3girls said...

cute! I am so impressed with your paint job! and I have to copy your knobs girl! I am going to go to Hobby Lobby and hope I can find the same ones!!!! (My hubby will freak I am going to see if those can be used in my Kitchen)

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the big Reveal!

Unknown said...

Isn't Hobby Lobby the greatest?! I picked up some glass knobs for a dresser for next to nothing.
Love this cabinet! Can't wait to see when it's finished!

Anonymous said...

The burlap idea is genius! I'm stealing that idea for my crumbling Creole pie chest. And I love the detail you are adding with the molding!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the final outcome!