Friday, July 11, 2008

Monograms and Lampshades

$69 lampshade from Shades of Light.com


My vintage lampshade redo for around $14. How's that for cost comparison? I had not even seen the Shades of Light shade until recently, so I'm happy for such a great visual on how a DIY project can save so much moolah. Keep reading for some other lampshade ideas that you can DIY....
It sure is fun to have a friend who has her own monogram business...with a big monogram machine that will do all of this. My friend from church, Lynn, asked me to help her with some of her decorating dilemmas and she in turn is monogramming for me everything I can think of. Isn't that a great trade?
She loves decorating too and so we've been thrifting and doing some projects around her house the last couple of weeks. We're also walking buddies. She loved my lamp project that I did with the old yardsale lamp (above) and she and I were out at church yardsale recently where we spied a vintage lamp very similar to the one I had refurbished. She got this one for $1.50! So, we bought bought supplies for redoing shades and she did all the monogramming on her super machine. I spied this burlap at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 a yard and thought it would be great for recovering shades and putting on a monogram. Doesn't it look great? This is Lynn's new vintage lamp all redone in her livingroom. The key to getting a monogram on a lampshade that you are recovering is to cut out your fabric ahead of time & lay it out on the lamp, so you will know exactly where to place the monogram.
So, now the monogram lampshades for my diningroom are a reality. All it took was about a yard of burlap from Hobby Lobby. I originally had planned to get some linen, but after spotting this burlap, I was sold. I love the texture it has and I knew it would look great sporting a crisp black monogram. That machine is amazing. She plugs in the disc with all the details on there of exactly which font we chose, plus the color of the thread, and that thing goes to town and zips out a monogram in no time flat. Check out my lampshade tutorial from last year if you'd like more details on how to do your own lampshade. It's so cheap to cover an old one! And here's the post on the vintage one I covered with the damask fabric too, for a reference. I love a good lampshade update and I love what it adds to the diningroom!
Next, we added a pretty lime green "R" to my new black and white purse.
And another "R" to another yardsale purse that I found last year. I think I will have to monogram something else now. You can be sure I'll be looking around the house for something else to stamp with initials!


For another fun project to check out that I think is absolutely stunning, head over to a new blogger that I've met recently, Kara, at
Inspired Kara for a recent headboard project that she just finished. It's a mantel mixed with fabric and it looks fantastic! Check it out...great job, Kara! I'm going to be on the lookout for more projects to feature from time to time from all of you out there



It's Friday, I'm heading over to Atlanta with my friend, Lynn, to the Market. They are letting me tag along to see what they are buying for their new monogram business and I'll have fun checking it out for myself too. I've been before, but it's been a long time. Who knows, I may be buying at the Market one day? Hopefully, I can take some pics to share. If anyone would like to have some monogramming done (especially here in Birmingham), please let me know and I'll give you the information for Lynn's business. They have totes and all sorts of things, like pillowcases and laundry bags that can be monogrammed, so if you need some gifts for a special occasion, think monograms.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

36 friends stopped by:

Steph said...

I love, love, love the lampshades! You've inspired me to try something new! They look great in your dinning room!

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I love the monogram shades! The ones on your buffet are awesome.
Have fun at the market....I have two friends from Meridian that are headed over there too! They say it is something to see!

Trixi said...

I love the lampshades. I have two plain jane lampshades in my living room that may, very well, need this redo.
Have fun at Market!!

Inspired Kara said...

Rhoda-

Thanks for the link! I really appreciate it. I think I feel some bedside table lamp projects on the horizon after reading this post!

Thanks! Have fun at the market!

Joanna said...

I am loving that lampshade, the damask one as well as the monogram! Wonderful!! I am now looking around the house to see what lampshade I can give a face lift too. : ) Thanks for the ideas!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I LOVE monograms. That was my trade for some time. I owned my own business. Miss it, and not having a machine is awful b/c now I dont have sweet details like that. LOVE IT!NEED IT

Tiffany said...

I really like the texture that burlap gives to the lamp shade. Have fun in Atl!

Cherdecor said...

Wow! That monogram machine is the berries! I LOVE the burlap too! Did you see that table top that one of your lamps is sitting on? That is simply to die for!

Unknown said...

Love them! Seriously, if it ain't tied down, put a monogram on it! I've got a lamp that I've been wanting to cover and this is so helpful in getting started on that project! Yeah! Thanks!!

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I adore your new lamp shades and purses! What a great friend to trade like that :)

off to check out your last post...

Oh and no fair rubbing it in that you've been to Kim's home! ;)

hugs,
rue

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Everything looks FABULOUS ! I love the texture of the burlap too, great choice.
I am skipping Atlanta this time but know you will have fun.

(())

Stacy said...

I. Am. So. Jealous! Love monogramming and you have made me love it even more! I especially love that last bag with the three colors and the R. Purrrrrr. LOL.

PS. Your directions worked and I was able to easily take comment letter verification off. Thanks!

~Stacy

Anonymous said...

I love your monograms. I think it was a great trade.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda

I love monograms. I don't have very many, though. I like the monogrammed shades in your dining room.

Hope you're having a great time in Atlanta. We're just back from the lake and will stick close to home for a couple weeks, before returning.

Have a great weekend.
Pat

Judy said...

You know those monogrammed lampshades are right up my alley! I would love to talk with Lynn about monogramming a headboard I'm hoping to have made for our master bedroom (Southern Living pattern). I will buy the material and get her to monogram the fabric. Should I contact her directly or do you want to give her my info? Any excuse to come to B'ham!

BTW, your dining room lampshades are gorgeous!

Judy

Mama said...

Gorgeous lampshades! Love the monogramming.

I recently purchased an old lamp that's huge, and now I am having an awful time finding a lampshade that is big enough for it. I need it at least 20" tall. I've looked everywhere, even online.

Any ideas?

Kitty Scraps said...

Oh Miz Rhoda, your monogram lampshade is to die for! I am in serious love with your lamps, lol

Donna said...

I love anything monogramed! Your lampshades are fabulous.
Have a fun weekend!
Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Rhoda! How wonderful are your lampshades! I love the monograms and how wonderful to have a friend who can do it and will trade off with you! I went to your lampshade tutorial - I would like to try an recover a couple of mine. Have fun on your trip and be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Love them!!!! My sister can momogram... yeah me... Now if I can get her to do it... Thanks for sharing that idea with all of us... Susie h~

Smelling Coffee said...

Rhoda~ I'm new to the blog-world, and practically stumbled onto your post. I can't wait to be a regular reader! Love your style...

Cottage Rose said...

you did a great job on the lamp shades. i just love them. They look great in your dinning room very chic. have a fun trip.

Hugs;
Alaura

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Wow, the lamp shades add so much punch to your dining room. They really look great.
Hugs,
Sue

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Brilliant!

I can't wait to see what you find at market.

Anonymous said...

I Love most anything monogramed and these fun lampshades top the cake. So cute. Love the post, dana

dewy23 said...

I just found your blog and I love the monogrammed lamp shades....my head is spinning with ideas!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, the monograms and lampshades are wonderful! Love them! Sounds like you are having a great time and I love all of the inspiration you have been sharing - oh have fun in Atlanta at the market... I'm jealous - would love to do that one day! Can't wait to hear about it... thank you for keeping your pretty eyes on the lookout for rugs for me... still desperately seeking them! ;-)

Love ya!
Kim
Daisy Cottage

Joanne Kennedy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

I just read your lampshade covering lesson and it was just what I've been looking for. I have a lamp with a strange shade in my bedroom. I wanted to get a new shade but could never find one that would fit. Now I can just cover the one that is on there.

Thanks!

Hugs,
Joanne

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there! My Mom and Sherry left this morning so I'm back at blogging again. Yippee!! (I miss them already though.)

I won't comment on each of your posts I've missed, but I enjoyed reading them all and seeing all the photos. Congrats on being featured about your backyard project.

Hugs!
Kat

Kellan said...

Love the lampshades and the monograms - beautiful!

Hope you had fun in Atlanta - and thanks for stopping by - see you soon - Kellnan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving your kind comments on my blog today!

The Atlanta market is amazing! Several of my friends were there these past few days and I know they will return with wonderful, new ideas for their shops.

Your monogramed lampshades are a special touch to your white collection in the diningroom!

Unknown said...

Oh what lovely lampshades what a clever idea!
Hugs,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these lamp shades, Rhoda. Monograms are so big in the South, I just love'em! I love the idea of having the burlap monogrammed and using on the lampshade. I'm filing this under decorating ideas!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! If you would share my site with your readers, I think they'd love it! http://www.electrasmonograms.com/ will make custom monogram decals for everything you can't embroider- your car, laptop, lampshades, acrylic pieces, mailboxes- even your walls! Thanks for looking!

Lallee said...

You have such wonderful shades. I really love the monogrammed ones. Glad you had a good time in Atlanta!

Hugs,
Lallee

Scooper said...

Rhoda,

You are genius! I've been wanting to make over my living room lamps that have fancy glass beads hanging from them. Too formal! I love burlap. You can be sure I'm heading to Wal-Mart's fabric dept today and doing a makeover of my own.

Thanks for the fab and frugal inspiration!

The Scooper