Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Master Bath Blues

Welcome to the masterbath! I mentioned I was working on some updates in the masterbath and got them all done. I also know I take a ridiculous amount of pics, but I'm a visual person and like to see all the details, so I hope you'll indulge me. This is walking into the bath from the master bedroom. All my life, I wanted one of these huge bathrooms and now that I have it, it's a pain to keep clean. Anybody??
But, I'm grateful that we have plenty of room, with dual sinks across from each other. I think every married couple needs dual sinks, as well as two closets. We are fortunate to have both. I found a good deal on the Roman shades at the place I went to recently in Bessemer, United Textiles. I had been planning to get some of those shades & when I found a great deal, I snapped them up. They fit on these windows very well, even if they are a tad too long. I had to add some lining to these, as they are very see-through at night. Can't have that! All I did was cut out some lining fabric & cut it to fit on the back & hot glued it on, leaving the cords outside the fabric. You also see the new rugs I just got in from Ballards. More about those in a minute.
Now, as you've heard before, I'm not really a blue person, but my hubby is a BIG blue person, so I did this bathroom for him. He loves deep blue, so I used this blue, Kilz Magellan, in the masterbath and in his office. Our bedroom is SW Blonde and with all my fabrics, they are a nice complement to each other so it's really grown on me and I feel like I'm at the ocean when I walk in here. And I decided to play off the beach thing since I love seashells so much and add some shell accessories in here.
I think I found these prints at TJ Maxx and they really worked well in here colorwise too.
Added shells and bath salts to my canisters too.
Now, do you remember the yardsale Waverly valances I found? Two of them worked out perfectly for my bathroom windows over the Roman shades. I love how it has cozied up this large bathroom. Fabric just does that when you add it to windows. This valance is about 2 times the width of my window, so I just took a needle & thread, sewed some hand pleats on it, spacing them apart, then I added some covered buttons (using a button kit from the fabric store). The fabric on the buttons is left over from some of my bedroom fabrics and looks good with this one. This adds a little bit of a custom look to a plain rectangle valance. I'll show a close-up of the button later. I used tacks behind the button to put this on the wall. Perfect! I would have picked another fabric if I was going to the fabric store, but for $3, these will be just fine until I do something different later on. And if I happen to run across some fabric I like better down the road, I sure won't mind retiring these. For now, they add some softness to the room that I really love. The two new Ballards rugs were a little splurge, but I waited it out until I got a 15% discount coupon from them, so that helps. These are hooked wool rugs and feel really nice. The old blue cotton ones that I had in here for the last 2 years were about worn out. This white tile is my nemesis and I'd love to get something darker in here eventually, at least on the floor. One of these days I will. At least it's not pepto bismol pink or shocking purple. Closeup of the rugs...I love Ballards, but they are a little pricey. But, I couldn't find rugs anywhere else that had these perfect colors that I needed, so it was worth it.
This is my vanity area. A little blue and white cup (from sweet Kim in FL) holds cotton swabs and another giveaway I won, a glass compote holds my small perfumes.
This fabric box is covered with my bedroom fabric and I found it at Homegoods. I have several things with this fabric that I've found there over the last 2 years, so that was a good score. This one was on clearance for $3, so I had to get it. I added the little tassel in front.
Hand towels
Closeup of the covered buttons. I love how it dresses it up a little.
Water closet with the other valance and new Roman shade.
I have 2 pretty shell prints in here.
My hubby's side of the bathroom. The light was too bright, but those are 2 San Francisco prints on the walls.

Yardsale shelf above the tub that I've had for years.
My hubby's grandmother painted this watercolor that hangs over the tub. And you can see that we have a skylight in here. It's great for letting in a lot of light.
Reflection in the mirror.
Hubby's vanity.
You can see the two hand-painted Italian tiles I found at a yardsale this year.
And that's it! This is looking out to the master bedroom. Just a few little updates to the masterbath and they sure make it feel cozier in there. Hope you enjoyed. When I get the new chest for the master bedroom, I'll do an update in there too.
Happy Wednesday!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

73 friends stopped by:

Mozi Esme said...

I LOVE your colors! It looks so bright even with a 'darker' paint in there, and definitely colors a man can appreciate while still obviously having a feminine touch.

Bonita said...

Oh thank you so much for sharing so many pictures of that beautiful bathroom. You are a decorator extrordinaire! My favorite parts are the rugs, the toile hand towel, the yard sale shelf with all the goodies, oh goodness, I could go on and on. I like it all! But the best, the absolute best is that valance because I have loved that Waverly pattern for years. When you update your window treatments I'd be more than happy to buy the Waverly ones from you- seriously!

Michelle said...

LOVE your bathroom...so, so, so pretty! You are an amazing decorator, Rhoda, and I'm always looking forward to seeing more of what you've done!

I'm in the process of painting our master bath. It's a dark mossy green color. I plan to make a window treatment for it and hang a shelf & some pictures, etc. It's not very big, though. I was honestly getting tired of plain white walls in there...I'm definitely a 'color' person!

Have a wonderful day, Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Your master bath is to die for. So cool and refreshing with the deep blue and shell accents. You did a great job, do you ever leave this room? I have a hard time leaving a room after a makeover. Great Work and Many Blessings, Dana

Gone said...

Oh my...how beautiful that bathroom is!! I'm not much of a blue person...but this is lovely!!

I'm going to be doing some updating too...and a pale shade of blue is going into the Master Bedroom and Bathroom, too!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Trixi said...

Wow, Rhoda, I wouldn't think blue either but you have really pulled it off in a great way. Your bathroom looks wonderful!!

Marie said...

What a beautiful shade of blue! Isn't Ballards a great store? We actually have a brick and mortar store close to me so I go as often as possible. I bought my chandelier there. :o)

Your bathroom inspired me to do something in my own. I have a very large master bath but besides painting it, I've done nothing else!

Inspired Kara said...

At first glance, I thought those fabulous rugs were inlaid mexican-ish tile! Love those.

Unknown said...

I love the shade of blue you used. What a difference paint can make. All your little extra touches make a big impact!
Diane

Cherdecor said...

Your master bath is really pretty. Are you saying that you painted it with KILZ? I heard that it came in colors is why I was asking. It is just beautiful.

Three Birds Inspired said...

Very pretty bath. I love that shade of blue and all of your "beachy" accessories. Our master bath in Seattle was also huge and a major pain to clean. The whole deck around the sunken tub gets so dusty!

Monkey Giggles said...

Thank you for sharing. I love the look of your new bathroom. I notice your blog background matches.

Well done!

Beautiful

Anonymous said...

Love the blue bath Rhoda! You have brought all together so well, knowing it is not your favorite color, but hubbys. Your feminine touches really add to the room, but doesn't comprimise his manhood either! I have not shopped Ballards, but have always heard so many wonderful things. Maybe it is time to take a peek. Have a fabulous week!
Jen

Julie said...

You did another amazing job! Wouldn't those colors be stunning in a beech house?

becky said...

another wowing room! everything is sooo pretty - i love those ballard rugs...i pretty much love everything at ballard's! you sure know how to put it all together!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Goodness, you've been decorating up a storm there Rhoda! I don't think I've ever had such a finished room! It looks lovely, I love those multiple rugs!

Great photos, thanks for the tour!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, it was nice meeting you last night! Your bathroom looks so luxurious and beautiful! I love it! I'm just happy to have slapped some paint on the walls and cabinets in mine! I'm not good at the "fluffing" of the space...
Great job! You have excellent taste!

Maureen said...

Love those Ballard's rugs! I've had my eye on one of their large rugs for our Master Bath too-- need to add a bit more blue in ours to coordinate with the blue we've added in the Master Bedroom. So far, having just a blue ceiling isn't doing the trick! Having seen your Master Bath in person, for the record, I have to say that it looks even better in person! Off to catch up with the rest of what you've been up to- I am so behind in blogland!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a blue person but I love that rich blue color in the bathroom. And as always I love the seashells. Great job!

Brandee :-)

Stacey said...

Rhoda,
I was glad to meet you last night!

You could work for days and days and days at my house. It is somewhat of a "blank canvas"! I am so not a decorator. Love your bathroom. I am planning to paint 2 of mine in the future. Previous owners painted the entire house prior to selling, for which I am grateful - but they left some wallpaper that just doesn't suit me. I'll be back for more ideas.

Stacey

Sometimes It's Good said...

Your bathroom is so beautiful and unique! Wonderful Job!

Unknown said...

fABULOUS.WE WANT to do a beach theme and I dont even know where to start. Thanks for sharing these!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that fabulous monogram trash can? I am in the market for some right now

Bo said...

So fresh...so clean...so well co-ordinated...great job! Those gorgeous rugs from Ballard's were worth every "pretty penny" and more...the quality really shows..
:-) Brown-Eyes

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Girls! Thanks so much for the kind comments, ya'll are so fun to share with.

Kelly, since I can't contact you, I hope you will see this about the monogram trashcans. I got that at The Royal Standard here in B'ham & they have a website. Maybe you can call & order one:
http://www.theroyalstandard.com/

duchess said...

It turned out beautifully.

I have a soft spot for your Waverly finds...I used the same fabric in my son's nursery when he was born.
Even though he doesn't use them anymore I've saved them & maybe one day I can repurpose them.

Thanks for giving me ideas.

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Hi! I just started blogging again. You used to be one of my blogging buddies. My old name was Oak Wind Farm. Now I'm Cranberry Crossings.
As always, your home looks great! I look forward to reading your blogs again. Hope to hear from you sometime too. Have a great day!
Carolyn

Joanna said...

It looks great! I would love to send you pictures of our guest bath to see what you could come up with. All your ideas are amazing!!

The blue is the perfect blue!

Courtney said...

Hi Rhoda...what a gorgeous blog (and home!) you have. Thanks for stopping by Nesting Instincts! I just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading up on your past posts and you are one talented lady! :-)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you have done a fabulous job with all the from the painting to the accessories!!!!!!

I too love Ballard, those rugs are perfect for the bathroom! You just HAD to get them:)

A Hint of Home said...

Very Pretty! I love the blue and yellow combo. I have a guest bedroom in the same colors.
All your accessories just add to the beauty.

Cindy said...

It looks beautiful! I love the deep blue on the walls! It's great to see lots of pictures!

Your husband must love how you've decorated your home so beautifully without spending a fortune!

morninglorycottage said...

Rhoda,
Your bathroom looks great! I've also done blue and yellow in our bedroom/bath because hubby asked for it. Just not that deep a blue and yellow. He didn't say which shade he wanted! ;-) And a beach theme. I'll have to send you some California seashells for your collection. I also spied the little footed bowl I sent you. I'm glad you could use it. Take care. Thanks for stopping by the other day also!

Kitty Scraps said...

Your master bathroom is so beautiful and looks like you spent a small fortune on it. Miss Rhonda you are a very talented decorator, I wish I lived in your neighborhood so I could invite you over for a home tour and pick your brain for ideas, lol You are so sweet to share your decorating tips with us and all the lovely pictures. I love your home!

Tara said...

Rhoda

Gosh, this rm looks great just as is! You did a wonderful job!

Unknown said...

that blathroom looks great! I love the blue!

Sandi McBride said...

Great job Rhoda...I love the little personal touches you've added. I agree, a big bathroom is very hard to keep clean...I enjoy my own sink, too lol...I'm always pointing out to Mac how messy his side of the sink looks in comparison to mine...men, such slobs...the blue does look good and I love the grass "blinds" in the window...
hugs
Sandi

Judy said...

I'm so glad I got to see your bathroom in "person and living color" and the pictures show what a gorgeous room it is! Ohh, can't wait for the mahogany chest you got for the bedroom....it will look great in it's special place.

We're coming to B'ham Sat. for Shane's b'day...wish we could get together for a bit but I don't think we'll have time and this is short notice for you.

Did you get my e-mail about the Auust 1st Petals trip?

XOXO!
Judy

Annie said...

Rhoda-
Love the blue & gold. It really feels like a beachy retreat! I love the intensity of the blue walls. Never apologize for taking too many pics, that's why I love your blog so much! You have a beautiful home that inspires me and many others! Keep on sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blue color.... I loved all of the pictures. You can never have too many pictures! I will get back to you on the paint colors in my den. The cans are in the shed now so I will have to go and check em out... As soon as I do I will let you know... Take care, Susie H~

Unknown said...

Love this bathroom! And the bold blue! I will have to try this I think I love the color and the whole ocean thing! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for stopping by too!

Hugs to you my friend!
Robyn

Come see me (blog) soon!

JeanMac said...

I love the blue with the crisp white - nice job!

Southern Lady said...

Rhoda, I enjoyed your tour of your pretty new bathroom. You can never have too many photos!

I especially like your little shelf/towel bar and the canisters. The Ballard's rugs are perfect ... and well worth "splurging." I splurge at Ballard's about every six months or so ... lol

Thank you for sharing the results of all your hard work. I know you're enjoying the results.

Sincerely,
Janie

TinaTx said...

I would have probably been afraid of such a dark blue, but it looks FAB!!! Blue and yellow are one of my favorite combos.
Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the bathroom! You have done a great job. Please don't take this in a bad way, but can I point out something? JMHO, but I would get rid of the toilet seat cover. It sticks out like a sore thumb in your beautiful room.

The rugs are gorgeous and I think you did great with those valances.

Again, I hope my remark doesn't offend!

tina

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Gorgeous Rhoda! I love it! I love the color.

Deserae said...

Beautiful bath...love your new rugs! They are the perfect addition in there. Everything looks so fresh and vibrant :o)
~Des

Mary said...

Nice job. Love that blue...so fresh looking. I've got a question on my blog re: a blue room if you get the chance to check it out...

Sue said...

Rhoda,
I love the way you customized the valances with the pleats and covered buttons, so cute.
I agree with you, big bathrooms do have their draw backs. It is a good reminder for me to be careful what I wish for.
Hugs,
Sue

joyh82 said...

I just love your bathroom, the colors, the shells and all the knick knacks!

Tonja said...

Looks wonderful, Rhoda. I really like the shade of blue!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, I didn't realize you had a sky light in there. Your window treatments are great & the rugs are perfect.

It looks like a serene restful place to enjoy a nice soak.
Hugs, DebraK

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Dear Rhoda,
What a beautiful bathroom...love the blue...thanks for sharing it with us!

Love, Kim

Rue said...

The bathroom looks beautiful! My mom has a guest bathroom that is almost the same color. It makes it so calming doesn't it? :)

hugs,
rue

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

It really does feel like you're at the beach! I'm not really a "blue person," either, but I could totally go for a blue and white bathroom like this. Thanks for the lovely tour! -Julia

Cyndi said...

I just love blue with yellow. It is so inviting. You did a great job can't wait to see more of your home. Have a great weekend.

Amanda said...

WOW WOW WOW!! I love it! and I just spent the last hour going through your pictures! your home is amazing! what beautiful staging on all the tables! girl your good! LOVE LOVE all the bunnies! *sigh* you inspire me to go re-decorate something!

Melissa said...

I love the blue paint and the covered buttons give your treatments just the right touch! Great accessories also!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Very nice job. I know you said you're having a hard time keeping such a big bathroom clean...but I have to tell you, it looks so clean and crisp in there.

~ Sarah

The Berry's Patch said...

That is one of the cutest mistreatments ever! Your bathroom is so blue-autiful.

Brandee :-)

LaVerne said...

It's great looking. The covered buttons give it a really "polished" look. Thanks for the tour. Nancy

Meghan said...

Gorgeous!

Free Art Printables said...

Love your master bath and I love the buttons! I just learned how to do fabric covered ones and I am hooked. It's such a pretty room! Jen r

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I really like your bathroom! Such pretty accessories, and new rugs are fab! Lovely as always, Rhoda!!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Great room! Crisp and colorful, yet warm and inviting!

Anonymous said...

hey Rhoda

I always seem to get here last and hope you see my comment, like number 185!!!

love the colour of the walls, it really sings with the sea accessories, I would absolutely love one day to have a master bath like that, I don't think it will ever happen though!

now my fave bit has to be the shelf with all the little towels rolled up and the tray with your perfumes, the blue box and the cup with the qtips - c'mon just how do you keep it all looking that lovely lol! mine are stuffed in my bedside drawer!!!!

it really is the extra touches and decorating that make a home, I've really learnt that lately, as being more on the side of minimilism as a rule I've sometimes made the mistake of just not having enough littles bits to pull it all together and it looking to bare.

great photos and I love how many you post, part of the treat of coming visit here

Sarah

p.s. thanks again for scanning the article on me, I am so tickled by it, hee hee

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

So pretty, fresh and bright!

Heather said...

I love your colors and all of your accessories!! You have done a great job!! So fun and fresH!

Unknown said...

Probably one of the most favorites I have seen! WAY TO GO! love all the blue and decor items you chose!

tiarastantrums said...

gorgeous (of course) - love the moldings and I so need to update lighting in my bathrooms!

Tara G. said...

Rhoda, you always have such great details and they totally reflect your personality- love it!

Madison Sanders said...

From far away, the rug looked like an intricate tile design.

The darker color looks great in there! I did an accent wall in my bedroom a darker color, and I love it!

Lynn said...

That blue is so pretty and I am not a blue person either. Your fabrics and textures all look so good together. I will be back to visit!!