Monday, July 7, 2008

IKEA Inspiration

IKEA...what a concept! Have you been to one of these? They opened in Atlanta 3 years ago, just as we were moving over to Birmingham, so I never got the chance to go in there. So, me and my friend, Vicki, stopped by after the conference on Saturday, since we were down there anyway. Wow, is this place big...I mean huge...never seen anything like it, but I can see what all the hype is about. It looks to be a great place to furnish a home on a budget, if you like contemporary, that is. It's not exactly my style, but I had a great time walking around snapping some pics to share with all of you.
I took SO many pics that I did collages for all of them, then went back and posted some of my favorites so you could see them up close. Aren't I nice?? :) Really, this is a fun place to visit and I'd tell you to go if you have one in your area.
It's so overwhelming that you'd have to go back 100 times to see everything...not kidding.
There's everything from furniture, to storage, lighting, rugs, accessories, artwork, kitchen fixtures, bathroom fixtures, window treatments, and everything in between. You can even eat here and I've heard their Swedish meatballs are to die for. I didn't try them this time.


A few highlights...all sorts of storage containers, anything that you can imagine and more. Very reasonably priced.
Artwork galore
Lighting
Lampshades
Rugs
Vignette of furniture and accessories
More lighting

Bed and bedding display
We both loved this little metal side table for $19.99...what a deal that is!
This wood table came in several colors for $129. LOVED IT! See all these colors? I can see using this in a lot of spots. It also comes in blue (check out one of the collages for that one.)
Storage units. Wouldn't you love a closet that was this organized?
Desk and bookcases
Window treatments
Bookcases and a striking Audrey Hepburn print. Breakfast at Tiffany's anyone?
More wild and colorful window treatments.
Check out this lime green and white kitchen. Too cute!

What are you waiting for? Get into an IKEA and check it out. Really, this place has some great things for sale and their prices are VERY reasonable. I've seen kitchens done with IKEA cabinets and they look fantastic. I would totally go there if I needed to do a room on a budget and wanted a contemporary flair.

Take a look below at my other post today about a fun blog that is hosting Before and After Projects. If you have something you'd like to submit, just send it in to them and you can be in the drawing to win a $50 giftcard.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

46 friends stopped by:

Trixi said...

It does look very contemporary but oh so cute. I would love to go to one of these. I would get lost in the storage containers, alone. Thanks for sharing.
Trixi

Bonita said...

Wow! Is that Ikea in Atlanta? My parents live there and I'm going down there in a few weeks. I'd love to stop by and see all the goodies for myself!

Terri Steffes said...

I would have been overwhelmed. I would have to focus on one thing... storage, bedrooms, etc... I love your photos!

Deb said...

Great Ikea post Rhoda. We have an Ikea just minutes from our home. It's one of my daughter's favourite places to shop and now that she is moving into her own apt next month, we've been shopping there quite a bit :-}

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I've never even heard of this store before! Looks like some great shopping...I'll have to find it next time I'm in Atlanta.
Just to let you know, I found one of the antique shops you wrote about in BHam when we were there the other day. I would not have known about it if I hadn't read your blog. I did a short post on it ..just wanted to let you know, and thank you for posting it!
Diane

Anonymous said...

That looks like one yummy store! Wish we had one near by. Thanks for taking us on a little tour. Susie h~

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda!

I, too, love Ikea, but as there is none in my area, I didn't set foot in one until this past January! I looked at each and every thing in scrutiny, and my poor sister-in-law said she had NEVER shopped at Ikea like that before...we were there for over three hours!!

Thanks for the tour!
Linda

Joanna said...

I am so sorry to say we do not have one close by. I have been to their site, which does not carry a third of what they offer in their store. I would love to visit one. I am afaid though that my credit card would come out smoking! : )

Charm and Grace said...

Wow... that's one amazing store. If we had stopped by on our way to the conference we would have never made it TO the conference! :-) Thanks for posting all the pictures; those were great. Loved the Holly Golightly picture. Just may have to go back to Atlanta...

I also loved your fresh veggie post. I laughed when I saw your tomatoes covered in pepper. My hubby does that... so much pepper you can hardly see the tomato! We had home-grown squash, cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, banana peppers, and field corn for lunch at my m-i-l's yesterday. YUMMM! Your mom and dad sound precious.

:-) Christi from Charm & Grace

Steph said...

Not really my style, but I think I could find somethings that would work for me!
I did order a daybed from them to use on my front porch at the lake!
I have a little something for you on my blog!

Jenny said...

I love IKEA. We used to have one nearby but they closed after only a few years for some reason. And that was a long time ago. The closest one now is about an hour away but we might make it a day trip as my daughter has seen their website and really wants to go. IKEA is so big we could probably make a day of shopping and lunch. I love the closet but I don't think mine would stay that way for long:o) Besides, I don't have room for a sofa in mine. Rats!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I love IKEA but get overwhelmed when I go. Your right they have good prices. We have several pieces around the house from Ikea.

Brandee :-)

Darlene said...

I have never been to an Ikea but it looks REALLY neat!! I think it would take me forever to get through that store. Maybe some time I will find one. Thanks for showing us all that stuff!!

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

IKEA is fun to visit, but I wouldn't buy there again. Ever. We have the chest of drawers you posted but in white for my daughter's room. It is falling apart. Poor girl can't open the bottom drawer anymore because the bottom of it falls out of it's slot. No matter how many times I fix it, it comes out of place. Also we have a white book case and the feet of it are about to fall off. It is a disaster waiting to happen. My husband bought a lamp there once and it fell apart too.

I think IKEA has items that look good, but only on the surface. At the heart, they are very poorly constructed and of cheap material.

Sorry for the negative post, but that is just my experience and felt a need to warn others!

By the way Rhoda, as it turns out we are not moving to Baton Rouge. That opportunity fell through and another made an offer in our general area, so we are staying in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago a while for now!

Unknown said...

Just love Ikea!

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I went to Ikea years ago in Santa Barbara and it didn't look anything like this! They actually have some cute stuff now. Most of it isn't my taste, but some of it would be a great thing to mix in :)

Hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Yes, I know all about IKEA! I'm not a fan of contemporary either, but I can always find something there. They have great ideas for storage. You took some great photos, too! Come to see me tomorrow - I'm having a tea party and you're invited!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kristen said...

My last Ikea trip was cut short with a sick kiddo! You'v inspired me TO GO BACK! Love that store and love your photos!

Sometimes It's Good said...

I love IKEA, too. It takes 2-3 hours to go through it. There's always something fun. You can even buy rocks and pebbles at a great price. They have great ideas for storage and decorating small homes and apartments. They have more "cottagy" things now, too.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I'm sure ya'll are way ahead of me on visiting an IKEA, since this was my very first visit. It was fun to look, but it's not truly where my heart lies..I'm too traditional for most of it. But, I could see a lot of the storage items working.

Kristy, thanks for telling about your experience with IKEA furniture. I'm afraid that's probably true about a lot of these cheaper brands out there. That's what scares me too about buying furniture from places like this. I probably wouldn't do it either, just for that reason.

That's why I stick to antiques!

Rhoda

Sandi McBride said...

Okay, Mac is grouchy now, lol, because I'm looking for the closest IKEA to us...he wants to know how much this trip is going to cost him, lol! Thanks for the heads up
Sandi

Lallee said...

Rhoda, that was really fun to see. We have an IKEA in Orlando, and one soon to come to Tampa. I have not visited yet, but you have tempted me. Did I read the price tag right on the pillows, or maybe pillow covers, for $2.99(the red and green)? The round table is just too fun. I wish I had a place to put one. I also loved what looked like wall cabinets with one in RED!
Lallee

linda t said...

Hi Rhoda,

LOVE my IKEA! In fact I live a mile from the Tempe, AZ location!
Ya, I am blessed!
But I only shop the "as is" room... filled with returned, irregular, displayed items. Talk about smokin deals!! AND the furniture is already put together!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love IKEA. It's just fun to see some different things. And the prices can't be beat, really. I got a couple of bookshelves from there recently for practically nothing. I think it was less than $100 for the pair! Gotta love that. -Julia

Marie said...

How funny! It must have been an Ikea weekend. I have heard it mentioned a lot today.

That little black metal table for $19.99 you liked? I bought it last time I was in Ikea. I loved it! I put it on my porch. I love the star design on top. :o)

I have a love/hate relationship with the store. I love the look of Scandinavian Country, so some of their things I adore. However... be warned about missing pieces from boxes of furniture. I just wrote something about this in my blog today, actually.

His Doorkeeper said...

I like Ikea but it is a little too "uppy" for me. However, I have bought some neat things there: big vases cheap and baskets and blue/white paper napkins that go with some of my china. Little things...not the furniture!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh I love Ikea! Unfortunately we don't have one near us in the middle of Kansas. Haha!

I love that so many of their things are basics that can easily be dressed up or incorporated into a different decor.

Free Art Printables said...

Hi Rhoda, we have an Ikea and I go there all of the time. It's not my style at all, but they have a lot of great stuff to do things with...! Plus the have free coffee before 11 and the play area! The meatball lunch is good (and cheap) and they have these awesome chocolate cookies! Jen R

Anonymous said...

Everyone I talk to who's been to an IKEA has a very strong opinion about it. Some love it (mostly for the modern, scandinavian-influenced style), others hate it (see Kristi's comment...)

I bought a few pieces from IKEA years ago - an assemble-your-self bookcase and a tv stand. The bookcase turned out to be pretty cheap - didn't stand up to wear and tear; the shelves eventually warped badly. The TV stand did fine, but I found myself leaning more towards traditional furniture styles, so I gave up on IKEA altogether. The best I can tell is that the quality is hit-or-miss, and you should definitely assess how sturdy a piece is before you purchase it -- don't just buy on looks.

JeanMac said...

Our Ikea is 5 hours away - I really like their kitchen stuff, especially the cork hot mats and glass wear.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Wow Rhoda, I've been wanting to get to our Ikea for a few years now. It opened a few years ago. . . it's about and hour away.

I think NOW would be a good time. . . my next project is the garage. Hubby installed a "pull-down ladder" to the garage attic for extra storage for us. Man, can I get the stuff up and out of the way with that extra space!! I now want to make a storage area for the girls' shoes coats, etc. Kind of like a cubbie that they can sit down on, a drawer beneath that opens for their shoes and hooks for coats, baskets above for misc. hats, gloves, etc. (we're in the north now! Ha-Ha!!).

Hmmm, maybe I can even get hubby to go with me (carry boxes :) if I promise him a lunch of Swedish Meatballs?????

Blessings,

Sher

Kitty Scraps said...

I read on their website one is opening up in the Charlotte area early Spring '09, I can't wait. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary but I love me some organization and great prices, lol Thanks for sharing all the pictures, wow, that must have taken you quite awhile to post them all. You're a sweetheart!

tammi said...

I dream of one day visiting an IKEA. I know, it's sad, but seriously, I do. The closest one to us is a 9-hr drive away.

Man, it's been a while since I was here!! Nice to visit again!

Picket said...

Wow what a store girl!!! We don't have one of those here...thanks for giving me a peek at it...great pics!!! Hope the sun is shining on your side of the mountain today and that you are having a great week!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Cool! great pics~

A Hint of Home said...

I've been to them before and they are large. Not exactly my style either but my daughter loves the store.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, that is an amazing store. Am I mistaken, or is that one store? Wow, thats all I can say. I could go on for a long time looking at so many things. I loved the shopping trip. Where I live, all we have is a Wal- Mart. Not a super store either.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeanne

Donna said...

Oh my gosh! I want to go shopping! The only problem is we don't have an Ikea near us. I love that store, and I used to go there when we lived in PA.
I may have to google the nearest one!
Hugs,
Donna

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

We just got an Ikea in Cincy. I haven't made it there yet because I heard the place was packed at first but I want to go and get some new pots and pans since mine seem to have lost all of their lids. LOL I'll plan to spend the whole day there from the looks of it.

Kimba said...

We've had an Ikea here for a long time. I'm not a fan of modern but I can always find something fun there. The have lots and lots of really cute things. Thanks for sharing those pics!

My2Gs said...

We finally got one here in Ohio. It's like 2-3 hours away....but I think it would be worth a road trip :)
~ Lacie

Anna Marie said...

Now this would be the place to spend a day! Wow!!! I could get so many ideas and items for our Rusty Cottage remodel. Thank you for sharing. If only Missouri had an IKEA :o(.

(PS. I found you through Kim over at Daisy Cottage)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

When we lived in DC, we furnished half our house with Ikea. Now that we've moved to B'ham, I made a trip to Atl specifically to pick up some items I needed from Ikea. My style isn't that modern, but you can always find something there that you "need." My husband and I used to go on Valentine's Day. We'd buy stuff to "feather our nest" and then eat 50 cent hot dogs for dinner. Crazy tradition, but it's ours!

Susie Q said...

Our IKEA opened this past Spring and it is glorious! We have been 3 times and never fail to find wonderful trats for thge home. Bill is actually putting things IN the cart instead of taking them out! *smile*
This was another wonderful post dear Rhoda...I enjoyed it so much.
Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

I wish we had an IKEA in the Magic City! Love your blog, Kendra