Saturday, June 20, 2009

Morgan Creek

IMG_5429

One of our favorite discoveries here in the Birmingham area is Morgan Creek Winery out in Harpersville. I told you about it last year here and each summer Morgan Creek hosts an outdoor concert with fireworks once a month, from May through September. We’ve been several times over the last couple of years and always enjoy it. A nice way to spend a summer evening, under the stars, with a picnic dinner and fireworks top off the finale. So, on a recent June evening, we once again headed to the winery, picnic basket and chairs in hand.

IMG_5427

They have a nice open field that is perfect for gathering and a stage for the live music.

IMG_5426

Each month, there’s a different performer taking the stage.

IMG_5428

And the wine tasting tent is ready for tasters.

IMG_5430

We love to sample the muscadine wines that they are known for. Sweet and delicious, we already know our favorite is Carlos. I've mentioned before that we are not big drinkers at all and don't keep it at home, but when we come here, we enjoy sipping the muscadine wines.

IMG_5431

This is a family owned business and they live right on the property. Oakleaf hydrangeas are blooming prolifically right now and make a great flower arrangement.

IMG_5432

Check out the use of burlap on their tables.

IMG_5433

Muscadine wines waiting to be poured. They have mostly sweeter wines, but a few of them are on the dry side. They also do a couple of blueberry wines.

IMG_5434

More burlap. We enjoyed the tasting and got our favorite, Carlos, to enjoy with dinner. Light and refreshing.

IMG_5436

Penne pasta with roasted red peppers and chicken. I’ll share the recipe on both of these in case anyone would like them:

Chicken Pasta Salad with Basil Dressing

Basil Dressing:

1 large clove minced garlic

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

1/2 cup olive oil

1 TBL minced basil or 1 TSP dried

2 –3 cups cooked/chopped chicken (I cooked 2 chicken breasts on the bone in crockpot & shredded)

1 box penne pasta

1 cup roasted red pepper strips

1/2 cup black olives (or Kalamata)

Mix garlic, salt, pepper & vinegar in salad bowl until salt dissolves; whisk in oil and basil. Add chicken, pasta, peppers & olives. Toss to coat. Cover and marinate at room temp 1 hour or chill overnight. Serve at room temp.

IMG_5438

Hubby chilling out.

Broccoli Salad

1 bag of broccoli crowns

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup diced onion

Dressing:

1/2 cup mayo

1 TBL Balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

I didn’t use quite a 1/2 cup on the mayo or sugar for one bag but you might need that much if you use more, don’t like a lot of mayo on salads like this. I just spooned it out & added some sugar and the TBL vinegar. Mix well with a whisk and toss to coat & mix.

IMG_5440

The band.

IMG_5441

And this little sweetie was SO cute. She was 3 years old and was having a ball running around with all the other little kids playing on the lawn. She came over and talked to us a few times. It’s a great place to bring kids too and there were many families there enjoying the evening.

IMG_5463

Around 9:00, the fireworks start and they put on a nice little show.

IMG_5465

A fun summer evening. If you’ve never been, I’d highly recommend it. You can check their website for all the information, but the events are from 6-9 pm every month. Next one will be July 4th, which happens to be on a Saturday this year.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

42 friends stopped by:

Angie said...

Looks like a fun event! Great for a date with hubby!

Anonymous said...

That recipe looks great. Actually, I printed the one from a few weeks ago...the artichoke and sun dried tomato and it was superb, so this one will probably just as good! You seem to have a way in the kitchen as well as with your decorating. Thanks, Sharon

Unknown said...

Sounds like somethng my hubby and I would love! I'm going to give your pasta recipe a try this week. Thanks for sharing.

marmielu said...

Rhoda, thanks for sharing that with us. I really enjoyed it all. What a nice treat.
Mary Lou

Omah's Helping Hands said...

What a great way to spend some family time and have some R&R at the same time. I'll have to tell my sister about this as her hubbies daughters live out there. Plus keep it in mind and plan our vacation around there when we travel. Thanks for sharing.

g.suzie said...

You have to love summertime activities. . .Warm evenings, that allow you to spend time outdoors, thanks for sharing your recipes and time!

Sherri said...

I've wanted to go to Morgan Creek for sometime and was going to ask if kids were allowed there (I see from your pictures that they are) so we'll definitely go there sometime,hopefully soon.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a fun evening. Have a great weekend. Dinner looks delicious!
Glenda

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Rhoda, that looks like such a fun and relaxing date. :) The pasta looks delish...will have to try it at home sometime.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Looks like a great time!!! The blueberry wine sounds delish! Your food also looked fabulous. Yummy!

Debra from Bungalow said...

That looks like a wonderful relaxing way to spend a summer evening.

The pasta/basil salad looks delish and I love raisins and sunflowers in broccoli salad! Wish I could grill a flank steak per your recipe but it's raining!

I added your blog button to my blog now :)

blushing rose said...

What yummy fun!! TTFN ~Marydon

Southerner said...

I got the AL vacation guide(?) last year and saw the winery in Harpersville. I wondered where it was. I figured it was futher away since I haven't seen it driving. I will have to look to see how far it is for me. I need to buy some burlap. I love that look outside. That food looks so good. I am doing a recipe book for our church and just edited this same broccoli salad recipe last night. We had four entries and all of them are just slightly different amounts.

Anonymous said...

Now this looks like my kind of entertainment. I know my hubby would enjoy it too. Thank's for posting that receipe. It looks great! See ya tomorrow dahling!!

Jenny said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Great pictures!

SouthernDogwoods said...

I love Morgan Creek wine! I had no idea that they had such a fun event. I am going to google them to see if they have a site. Sounds perfect for my family! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Rhoda, the recipes look delicious! I have some chicken cooked and shredded and was looking for a way to fix it that would be different from our usual poppy seed casserole. This will be great this time of year! And the trip to Harpersville looks like a good idea as well. Hope you had a wonderful anniversary and a good weekend.

Carol

Cindy said...

This post is just great! We've recently been going to vineyard/wineries. Many of them around here have monthly live music and or fireworks. Also, they can be separated by 70 miles and actually have different grapes that do well.

grannyann said...

We have a winery in town but not with a yard like that. We do have Summer Chautauqua in the Park and Shakespeare in the Park 2009: The Tempest. The local community theatre players do it in one of our parks and it is quite nice. Like you said, take your chairs and food if you like. Thanks for the pictures.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

loved this post...the burlap tables were too cute. I also copied the recipe, just my style of cooking too. Thanks

Farmgirl Paints said...

Fun and fancy! Looks like a great time:)

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

A fabulous looking place to be! We have a winery in our area that does the same thing...minus the fireworks! I'd love to go this summer...we'll have to get a babysitter though, now. I followed you here from Twitter!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a heavenly place! So beautiful...thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Spencer

Richella Parham said...

YUMMY!! I'm adding this recipe to my "try next week" file (or pile, if I'm being honest). This pasta looks delicious. Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing the fun.

Justabeachkat said...

I love fun events like that. And the muscadine wine sounds delish. This week has flown by and my computer time has been limited. It's been fun catching up with you tonight.

Hugs!
Kat

Jennifer said...

What a fun evening out! I had not heard of the winery here before. We'll have to check it out next time we are in the area visiting family. Thanks for sharing such a nice evening (and the recipes as well!)

Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a fun evening!! I love doing things like that and it is so much fun to "people watch" while listening to the music. The food looks yummy and I can't wait to try your recipes. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

Paula@SweetPea said...

It looks like you two had a very fun evening. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I will try your Chicken Pasta Salad recipe this week.

Adrienne said...

we ate a fabbo london broil last night. i tried your marinade recipe... thought it had everything in it but the kitchen sink :)LOL it was really, reALLy good. next up, this pasta salad.

Beverly said...

It looks like it was a perfect day to spend with your husband. We like visiting some of the area wineries here, too.

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

What a fantastic evening! If I lived nearby I would go for sure, but it's wonderful to see it through yours eyes :)

The anon was an issue, but we know who it is now. I'm sorry about yours.

(((hugs)))
rue

Puna said...

It looks like a great place to spend a nice day!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Looks like such fun! I definitely would check it out if I lived closer!
~Michelle

Rose said...

Oh Rhoda what fun! I was looking at all the decorating....man that would be FUN to decorate for something like that!!!
Thanx for sharing with us!

Shannon said...

Awesome pictures! I bet Morgan Creek would like them for their promotional uses...

Cheri said...

Rhoda,

We'll have to check this out when we are down that way, it is actually not too far from a house we are considering.

Cheri

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I got all kinds of happy feelings from this post! I love community events like this; just good, clean, down-home fun. Good people, good food, good music - my kind of fun! I'm glad you and hubs had a good time. Oh, and I love those oakleaf hydies! Never have liked mopheads, but oakleafs are lovely!

Southern Savvy said...

Thanks for the Chicken Pasta recipe. I was looking for a similar recipe for lunch today so I decided to try yours and it was delish! The only difference is that I had to add some cheese because cheese just makes everything better for me! :)

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love events like this! What a fun time. I love the burlap!! thanks for the recipes-I love the brocoli recipe-yummy!

Kimberly Wright said...

This looked like a really fun event. And the food look delicious!

Southern Lady said...

Rhoda, thank you for stopping by Southern Lagniappe. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment, too.

Your Chicken Pasta Salad recipe sounds delicious and perfect for these hot summer days. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sincerely,

Janie

Jennifer said...

this looks like so much fun! I knew about the winery, but didn't know about the events. the food looks DELICIOUS, too (of course, it is lunchtime!).

I love the burlap mixed with the flowers in the galvanized buckets. what a great look for a summer evening.

thanks for sharing!