Sunday, March 4, 2007

My parents are coming to visit!

















I'm so excited...my parents are coming over from GA today & are staying til Wednesday! They've only been over here once since we moved a little over a year ago, so I'm happy they are staying a few days. Here's a pic of my family...my parents, my sister, & I...way back in the 50's. I'm the baby in my mom's arms (top left corner) & my sister as a baby in the larger pic. Hard to take a pic without the flash getting in the way. The little blonde in the left hand corner is me around age 2 or 3. Didn't my parents look snazzy back then?

My parents are the best people in the world. I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful spiritual heritage in my family & it's something I probably took for granted growing up, but it sure is something I'm grateful for now. They raised us up in the church, to love God & follow Him & it has made such a difference in my life. I couldn't ask for better parents & I just love them dearly. They are getting on up in age (79 & 78) & it makes me realize that they won't be around forever. They are still going strong though & my dad can't wait to get out on his tractor in a few weeks & start the garden. They have a huge garden at their house in Murphy, NC & they also have a smaller one at the GA house. I've always had access to fresh vegetables...took that for granted too growing up, but what a blessing that is! My mom is bringing me a fresh batch of her canned tomatoes today...I use them all the time.

My dad is also bringing the swing he built for me when I moved in my house in GA (that I sold to move over here to AL). I was careful to remove that swing before the house sold, cause I knew that I would want to take it with me to the new house. We have a spot under the back deck that it will be perfect for, so I'm looking forward to lazing away a few hours swinging in that swing! Thanks for listening...I'm having a nostalgic moment today!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 friends stopped by:

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, thank you for sharing your memories and photos, and the wonderful qualities your parents possess, and were careful to pass on to their girls, also. A strong belief system and good values are some of the most important qualites that parents can cultivate in their children.

I enjoyed your pics (lovely family!), and hearing about your Mama and Daddy. I know how you must treasure that swing...I can't wait to see it. I hope that you and your parents enjoy the visit very much, and have a wonderful time making new memories!

Carol Bennett said...

Rhoda, so nice to hear about your parents! You are very lucky to still have yours, mine have been gone a number of years now. I know ya'll will have a great visit this week!Amazing what we take for granted sometimes, huh?
Carol
Come visit me!
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a lovely visit..!! And thanks for the tips :)

Kathy :)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

I'm so happy to hear that your parents are coming for a stay. I know it was tough on your mom with you moving so "far" away. Loved the old photos.

How great that you found those boxes with the fabric on them already!

CG said...

Hey Rhoda..I figured out how to redo my header if you still want directions...email me. mytrunkshop@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Christy

cherry said...

Awww nothing wrong with nostalgia! Family is the most important thing other than God! I have such a small family...but I appreciate each and everyone. I love your photos Rhoda and I can see why you cherish them! That is soo cool they are bringing the swing your Dad built...didn't he help you with your old house as well? Awesome memories! cherry

PAT said...

Rhoda, I know you must really be enjoying your parents visit.

Porch swings always remind me of Summer at my grandparents. They had a wonderful Oak shaded front porch which included a swing.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh I know you are so excited! That is wonderful that your parents are coming! You are going to have so much fun! I know they must be FANTASTIC people as their daughter is one special lady! I loved seeing your old photos too ~ such a nice post!
xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I'm missing my mama these days...I hope she will come visit me soon..so enjoy those parents of yours...love the photos!