Friday, April 20, 2007

Breakfast Treat...Baked French Toast

It seems that there are a lot of opportunities to cook things for church events...and this week was one of them. We had a special ladies breakfast yesterday, so I volunteered to make Baked French Toast, which is so easy and so delicious. It's almost easier than regular French Toast & this serves a lot of people. I got this recipe from my sister (who makes these special treats for us at Christmas) and it's a keeper. The egg mixture soaks into the bread & when it's all baked up, it tastes like egg custard with maple syrup. Hope this makes you happy, like it does me!

Baked French Toast

1 loaf French bread cut in 1 inch pieces
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half & half
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 Tbls. light corn syrup
Chopped pecans

Butter or spray 9x13 pan. Lay bread in bottom. Beat eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon. Pour over bread and refrigerate overnight. Next morning, heat oven to 350*. In sauce pan, put butter, brown sugar, corn syrup. Heat until it bubbles. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake uncovered for 40 mins.

Prepare to eat way too much of this stuff!!


The weather has been glorious this week. You know, perfect spring temps? A friend and I went back to Petals from the Past today & it was so much fun. I didn't take my camera, but they have a special event once a year called Antiques in the Garden. Antique dealers come in with lots of goodies set up in the barn & outside, as well as all the plants & garden accessories that Petals has on hand. It was a beautiful day & perfect for browsing. My friend found 2 gorgeous iron arbors that she had been looking for from a vendor who had a lot of neat iron things. When I get ready to do my other gate, I'll be looking them up! I found a couple of plates...one aqua one to add to my shells collection & another little red/white plate, both for a total of $4.50.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend & that you get some sunshine too!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

Great recipe, Rhoda. This is the type dish I like to make when our friends visit over a weekend. Something I can put together the day before and have it ready to go next morning. I'm going to print this one for my files. Looks delish! Thanks!

Your trip to Petals From The Past sounds wonderful!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, I think you're one of the best cooks I know! That looks so delicious, and I can't wait to try it (I'm on a diet right now, so it will be a special occasion recipe for me).

The antiques show sounds like so much fun, and I can't wait to see your finds. I became inspired by all of your recent finds, and followed your lead to see what I could do with $20 after I dropped DS2 off at school. I had so much fun (an estate sale and 2 garage sales), and if I get a camera this week, I'll post pics (or use another disposable camera). I even left the prices on so you can see. :)

I hope that you have a fun weekend!

Andrea

Tina Leigh said...

Boy that french toast looks really good...pass the milk please! Sounds like you had a good shopping trip again. You will have to post pictures when you can.

Anonymous said...

it's glorius weather in New York too. I love baked French Toast.
Thank-you for the recipe. And the slide show of your home is great! What a beautiful home you have.
best
Robin

savvycityfarmer said...

Sunny and 70 this weekend...and we'll having NO french toast...gotta lose weight for a mother of the groom dress.....smile

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Hi Rhoda! That looks so yummy!

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! I love your blog and will be back to visit! Oh, and thank you for the tip on the foam board! I am going to try that!

Heather

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today and especially for your sweet comment. Come back anytime. You're always welcome.

I haven't been to your blog in awhile either since we've been out of town and getting Miss Daisy settled.

Tonight's the first night things feel kinda normal again. I've enjoyed "catching up" with your blog. The baked french toast sounds and looks wonderful. I'll definitely try it. Your yard and flowers make me jealous. We just moved into our new house in November so I'm anxious to work on flower beds, etc. You've inspired me. Thanks!

morninglorycottage said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it soon. Also thanks for the "peek" around the garden. You've done a lot and it looks great! Keep up the good work. You've inspired me to get out to my backyard and get started. The construction workers left a huge mess after the remodel was over last year. Have a great weekend. Amanda

Anonymous said...

Gee, that french toast dish looks like cinnamon rolls! Sounds deelish as usual (and easy).

Isn't it nice to get a nice stretch of good weather finally, no storms or heavy winds! I'll be in the garden today.

Your Petals From the Past excursion sounds like it was fun!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your beautiful blog. I will definitely try that French toast for my family. Thanks for sharing.

Lallee said...

Now I have to wipe drool off my monitor ;-) How yummy.

Candy said...

Yum! :)

Susie Q said...

Oh delicious this looks and sounds. Thank youf or this recipe. We will definantly try it.

Your trip today sounded wonderful.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Hugs,
Sue

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Mmmmmm...I am soooo making the baked French Toast!
Can't wait til the antique shows start up again around here.
The big one near me has its first of the season in May. Woo Hoo!

CG said...

Thanks for that yummy recipe! Can't wait to try it out.

Trudi said...

Love your shells and plate. I will have to "decorate lift."

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and love this recipe. This is the type of dish I like. Love your blog and so happy to see you in your new home and so happy.

Connie