Monday, April 23, 2007

Serendipity & Yardsales

I really didn't plan on hitting any yardsales this weekend (no neighborhood sales near me), but spotted an estate sale in the paper Friday night close to home, so decided I should pop by there & see what they had. It was actually a lady whose yardsale I had visited last year (and bought a very nice bronze light fixture from then) and she had tons of stuff out there. I didn't buy a lot of stuff, but it was sort of serendipitious nonetheless.

See this chair below with the beautiful needlepoint chair cover? I bought it several years ago at a yardsale. It actually had another needlepoint cover on it & I bought this one on Ebay & switched them out. This cute little harp-backed chair is sitting in my livingroom next to the console table. I had just told myself not too long ago that if I ever found another one for a decent price, I'd get one for the other side of the table.
Well, as luck would have it, this lady had a chair very, very similar to mine for $8. It has a funky fabric on there, which I can't wait to change out & it needs gluing on one side joint, but for that price, I don't mind! My first chair is a little prettier & better made, but they really look so close that I'm tickled to have them both now. I'll probably look for another needlepoint for this one too, since I love needlepoint so much. I used to work for Ethan Allen & managed to snag some discontinued fabrics, so I may put this one to good use until I can find another needlepoint.
Here's a shot of both of them in place. Aren't they a nice addition to the livingroom?
Found this pretty aqua plate at Petals from the Past flea market for $4.00. I've been adding this aqua color to my entertainment center in the den & it's such a nice addition to the seashells.
Found 2 more pieces (finial & candlestick) in this color from the chair lady...these were $2.00 each, so I had to have them.
And, one more cute little red transferware plate from the Petals flea market for 50 cents. When I find another one, I'll add these 2 to my foyer wall, where I have 4 in this color already displayed.
So, all in all, a fun weekend. I went on Sat. with a friend to the Tannehill Trade Days, a once a month flea market. There were so many people out that we waited in line for 30 minutes just to get inside the gate. It's a state park & very pretty, so I'm not surprised that there were a lot of people out on a weekend like this...perfect weather. We had to laugh though....only in Alabama will you find flower vendors who sell the tackiest flowers for gravesites. I have never seen anything like this in my life, but we saw several vendors with the ugliest, tackiest, gawdiest, brightest flowers you've ever seen, in styrofoam vases ( or sprays), just right for those gravesites! Have you ever? I have not! I told my friend that I can just see Bubba walking along checking out all the junk at the flea market & then saying to wifey, "Honey, what say we pick up some flowers for Mama's grave? These are so purty!" I actually saw people hauling them out to their cars (or trucks, maybe!). I had to laugh!! I wish I had taken a picture...they were so very bad!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky find that chair was, it looks just like the other! You can barely tell the difference. Love that aqua stuff, that's my color! 50 cents for that red transferware plate!!! That was a deal. Amazing as usual. I went to a couple of yardsales this weekend as well.

Also, I went to Outrageous Bargains (I'm sure you've been there - right). The fabric selections was better there than Calico Corners! I'm going back this week to have another look since I didn't really have time to look at trim and all that.

Rhoda, you are definately the Yardsale Queen. Great stuff!

Manuela

ShabbyInTheCity said...

You did good! I think Bubba may have chosen the outerspace fabric on that one chair LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes indeed your two chairs look perfect together and make a wonderful addition! Love them and what a great deal! The aqua pretties are just that - pretty! I love how you have incorporated that color in your home.
xo,
Kim

Candy said...

Love the pictures :)

La Tea Dah said...

Oh, what beautiful finds! Thank you for sharing. . .love the chair!

PAT said...

Wow, what a deal on that chair! I always think it's great when I happen upon something, out of the blue, I've looked for. Many times it's long after I've given up!! Guess I should not give up!!

You have some great finds, there!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

~Dawn~ said...

Hi Rhoda,
I loved all your great finds! Thanks for the post about my bedroom and YES! I would love to see pics of your old house with the color wash! Thanks so much! And I love the red transferware plate, I think I need something similar for my kitchen! :)
Dawn

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

You are so fortunate to have found a chair that nearly matches your other one...they look great! The aqua plate, finial and candstick are very pretty...love that color. Can't believe you found a red transferware plate for .50 cents...that's what I'm on a hunt for next...thanks for sharing your treasures!

linda t said...

Don't you just love when we're rewarded for our patience in waiting for just the right item!
Your chair rocks! Ummm, you know what I mean!
You could not have found a better match... sooo happy for you Rhoda! And you know me and aqua... love splashing some around my home too.

Anonymous said...

What a terrific chair bargain!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

I LOVE the harp design on the backs of your chairs! I also love the color of the wood! Amazing bargains you found!

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, you are by far the best "saler" that I know (and I thought my mother was good! :). I love every one of your finds, and you always find the best places in your home to showcase them, too. You and I would have a good time on a Saturday morning, with a little stash of cash and a cuppa. I just loved seeing all of your goodies (I worked today, and then took DS to trap practice this afternoon...I promise to take pics in the next day or two!!).

Hope you're having a good evening~

Donna, The Decorated House said...

What a great chair! It was worth getting up and going yard saling.
I remember when you recovered the other one. It looks so nice with the needlepoint, so good luck finding some more.
Donna

Susie Q said...

Wow! Always a treat to see what you found! LOVE the transferware and the aqua pieces. The chair is a treasure. I have one I found at an estate sale in Illinois. It is a dead ringer for the 4 my Mom has with her dining set. I use it with my little drop leaf secretary. Your home is a delight!

I think I know that Bubba...I have met him many times I am afraid!


Hugs,
Sue

Lallee said...

Serendipity indeed! My friend calls those occasions God's fuzzy-wuzzies. Don't you love it when it happens? I don't know why you would want to change the planet fabric. LOL

I like your aqua items with the shells. I put my shells out recently, replacing the Easter items.

Please, go back and take pictures of the grave floral arrangements. ;-)

You asked about my lantana. It came from one of the box stores and the tag did not give a name for the variety. I live far enough north in Florida for it to freeze back to the ground here. We lived in SC briefly and I grew lantana there, too. It would come back in the spring there as well.

Sandy said...

Hey, good job on the chair. It is very similar to matching my dining set :)
Over in London, catching up on blog reading :)
Back in states next week.

Raised In Cotton said...

Just found your blog and wished I lived closer :) So nice to meet you!

Hugs,
Carol
http://raisedincotton.typepad.com/

Cindy said...

I have to say thank you! Because of all your posts about your great yard sale finds, I hit the yard sales last Saturday. I found something I love and it was only $5. Come by my blog to see!

I can't believe how well those chairs match. I would have thought they were identical if you didn't point out that they weren't!

Suzanne said...

Hi, I'm new to the blog world having just joined this week. But I've visited your blog twice already, so I thought I would post! I grew up in the South, so I guess I feel at home here :)

What a warm and inspirational site...

I'm so glad I followed blog links to find you!

Suzanne

smilnsigh said...

Your two little chairs look just sweet!

And I'm so happy that you {commented in my blog} too remember the good old days...and they have changed so much. But you are way too young to remember as far back as I. :-)

But then, each of us has our own good old days to remember, I suppose. Our world moves so quickly, that each of us _does_ have a different past, to remember.

Mari-Nanci

CG said...

What a great chair and for $8! It looks so much like the one you already have which is neat that you found the other one.

Anonymous said...

I love your chairs. I have a little harp table to match. I also love those aqua pieces. How lucky you were to find them!

savvycityfarmer said...

That's what I call the mother load.

Lana Manis said...

Hi there Rhoda, I've just recently started blogging and found your blog. I've really enjoyed reading it ~ I collect aqua pottery too!
Take Care and have a beautiful day~*~

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Beautiful finds! The chair was a deal and looks great with the other. Looking forward to seeing what fabric you choose for it!

Betty said...

Rhoda, You did it again! You find the most amazing stuff.

I'm into the red and white dishes. I have so much blue and white that I started the red and white willow and black and white to use as accents in a white bathroom that has a black and white toile shower curtains and white towels with black monogram.

Decorating is so much fun and the hunt to find accessories so satisfying........Keep up the good work........