Friday, June 15, 2007

Atlanta Street of Dreams


It's time for the annual Street of Dreams in Atlanta & I went with some girlfriends over there this week. There were 8 houses (1 was closed due to some water damage, but there were 9 on the tour) & we had the best time touring. It was a perfect day & we took our time. There were a couple that we really loved & I tried to capture the feel of each house in these collages, so please click them to open larger & enjoy! This year the tour is in Douglasville, GA, a suburb & it's amazing how things are growing out there. This is one of those master-planned communities with sidewalks & houses that are conducive to neighborly living. Most all of these homes were 3 levels, with a huge finished basement with media rooms, exercise areas, & gorgeous outdoor living spaces. It was fun to look at, but I wouldn't want a house that big. I'll add the square footage & sales price for you, just for the heck of it! Don't choke! LOL

Click on all the pics to open them larger!


House #1 Southern Elegance (above) was our favorite of all. It was decorated by Macy's Design Studio & Bloomingdale's. Described as: With all the warmth & charm of the old south combined with the casual elegance of Tuscany, this totally automated dream home takes your breath away.

8,000 s.f.

$1,850,000 House #2 Casa De Caserta is a true Tuscan masterpiece combining old world charm with modern luxury & style. Designed by Darren's Designs in Roswell, GA. Well, girls...there's just no way to describe this decor. I really hope no one at this design firm reads my blog, but we just absolutely hated the way this house was decorated. It was way, way over the top. Take a look at some of the pics & I think you'll see what I mean. I don't think I quite captured the gawdiness, but you may get the idea.


8,900 s.f.


$1,595,000 House #3 The White House. Rich with Southern charm, the White House offers a modern twist on a classic design creating a cozy home that is both livable & inviting. With it's interior design drawing inspiration from the four seasons, this home dedicates its story to nature, both in color palette & sustainability. Decorated by Des-Syn interior design firm.


5,450 s.f.


$1,250,000 House #4 Mayberry. Step back in time to a quieter life where people actually knew their neighbors & mingled with them. We really loved this house too. Very nicely done. Designed by Wendy Bagwell Interior Design.


8,656 s.f.


$1,600,000 House #5 Betinna Floriana. It is rare to create a home that conjures the uncanny impression that it was always meant to be where it it, or indeed, it has always occupied its setting. OK, not so sure about all that bit of marketing, but it was nice.


8,000 s.f.


$1,300,000 House #6 Sweetwater Manor captivates by perfectly melding angular, craftsman details with a graceful, elegantly appointed interior. Designed by Outrageous Bargains, which is one of my favorite stores in Atlanta for decor, fabric & furniture. We loved the interior design in this one too. Check out that beautiful outdoor patio area in the lower right corner. It was just stunning!


5,820 s.f.


$925,000 House #7 Wicklow Manor. The designer Caroline Hale felt drawn to a low country/coastal look for this extraordinary home. The presence of water & other natural elements is evident in the decor. The walls in here were a beautiful soft blue & the doors were a couple shades darker.


5,500 s.f.


$975,000 House #8 The Legend. This house evokes a sense of nostalgic spirit from the moment you take your first step onto the fireside front porch. The home radiates with a flair of sophistication & grace that is balanced with modern details & function. Designed by Barri Ballance Interiors.


3,200 s.f.


$675,000



If you've never been to a Street of Dreams, they really are a treat & a totally fun girl's day out. I'm not sure how many cities they cover, but Atlanta is almost always on the calendar. I also know a lot of you are cottage girls & this will be way over the top for you, but hope you all enjoy the eye candy.



Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Just got back this afternoon and I'm checking in. Glad you went - I didn't think I'd make it to all the houses - I lose interest after a while LOL! I think I liked house #3 best. Love those slipcovers on the DR chairs, but what are those round puffy things over the bed? The Outrageous Bargains house was nice too. I agree, house #2 is way over the top - those gold chairs are just not my thing at all. There seemed to be alot of gold in that house LOL!

Manuela

Debra from Bungalow said...

Wow! How long did it take to put together this post!?! It is stunning.

I liked some elements of house #2, but not all the gold and did not care for #3. Everyone has different taste.

Sounds like a great way to spend the day. There is nothing like that around here....wish there was. You can always come away with ideas and inspiration.

I was glad to see white kitchens are still en vogue.
Have a great weekend.

KLKinFLA said...

Those are some amazing houses...and the best part is they're soooooo affordable :). Thanks for the tour. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite. Enjoy your weekend!

Rosemary said...

Beautiful Homes!
The prices don't seem that bad for the square footage. Around here a tract house goes for a million. It's crazy in California.
Thanks for the tour!
Have a great weekend!
Rosemary

Justabeachkat said...

I loved going to Street of Dreams both in Atlanta and Nashville. They don't have them here :-(

Loved all the photos and descriptions.

I know you had a good time.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks so much for taking us along on the home tour!
What fabulous pictures.
Mom and I missed our local Homarama this year, so this was a nice alternative. :)

And a big CONGRATULATIONS on your new online store!!!

You have a great eye for treasures, so I'm sure it will be a big hit.
How exciting!

Kimberly :)

Dawn Bibbs said...

Hi Rhonda, Manuela told me to come check out your blog as you had pix up from The Street of Dreams here in Atlanta. Me and my family are going tomorrow. But now, maybe I won't have to...you took AWESOME pictures! :-).

Anonymous said...

I went to the same kind of tour in the Dallas area a couple of years ago. Some of them are so over the top it becomes sensory overload. A couple of real gaudy rooms but then there were truly a few dream homes that I just loved. I love home tours! We have one in our neighborhood at Christmas time that's my fav. It's been a while since the Dallas area has hosted a Southern Living Idea home...those are great too! That's for sharing the great pics.
I really enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you Rhoda for posting these! I wondered if ya'll had fun & how the houses were. I hope to get DH to fly me over before it is finished this time, I loved going last year. Beautiful pics!

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rhoda, thanks for all these lovely pics and descriptions! These houses are mind-boggling (decor, price, and square footage). The closest thing we have to that is called Homearama, where maybe 11 or 12 homes are decorated in a cul-de-sac and you can tour them before they're sold. I always love going to those, but they're always so crowded that you can't really take your time and take pics, like you did.

Sue said...

Thanks Rhoda for the tip to linking. Please except my appologies for carelessly miss spelling your name. You are one of my favorite bloggers and I have written about you before without looking carefully at the spelling of your name, so sorry.
I have the link to Southern Hospitality fixed and plan to visit often. Off now to look at all the lovely homes in "Street of Dreams".

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, what an amazing job you did putting this all together. I loved seeing all the photos and different decor. I really enjoyed going to Street of Dreams pre-children.

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Got back into town yesterday and have just enjoyed the last hour getting caught up on all your posts! Congratulations on the Vintage shop opening! Will check it out often.
Have a great week.
PS
Remember your post from a few weeks ago when you asked what we'd do if money were unlimited? I'd like to change my answer after seeing these gorgeous homes!hehehe

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...

Been a busy weekend at the lake and now I'm getting things together for J's trip to the hospital. But, I'm so happy I came by to see the SOD photos. They never disappoint. Beautiful homes! Thanks so much for a great post!

Pat

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Thank you for such a gorgeous post! I'm happy to have found your blog!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Thanks Rhoda! So nice of you to take the time to put all that together. What has happen to the ATL designers? A few years ago your homes were always so beautiful. The last 2 or 3 years not so good. The ones here have been much better. I hope they don't go downhill.
The showhouses you've seen while in AL seem better.
Donna

Morgan said...

Hi Rhoda! What a post! Thank you for sharing that with us...I really like the last three houses...the touches of teal and turquoise here and there are right up my alley! :o)

I've never been to a tour of homes; except tagging along once with my mom and grandmother when I was about twelve...I did't care much about it then, LOL!

Suzanne said...

Oh how fun! I think #3 is my favorite with the porch...but a little out of my price range! lol
Thanks for sharing, look like you had a wonderful time.

Southern Heart said...

Amazing houses, and I agree with you on the "favorite", too. :) Can you imagine living in that much s.f.?

I'm glad that you all had a fun time on your home tour...those are always so enjoyable! I certainly enjoyed your pictures...

Southern Heart said...

Oh, BTW...about the garage sales, I wish you lived closer, too. :) You and I would have a lot of fun (other than grabbing the same things!). M laughed after this sale...he said "you realize that this streak is going to come to an end, don't you?" SO true. It seems to come in waves.

darrenchadinc said...

Rhoda, I am the designer for house number 2 at street of dreams. I don't understand your negative comments about our home. We had tons of positive feedback on the decor, and did not expect everyone to like it. We have done projects all over the world and have many loyal clients. The purpose of doing a showhouse is to do something outside of the box. It is obvious that you live inside of a box and have a very narrow interpretation of design. We worked very hard to put that house together and I resent your tacky comments. There are a number of things that I thought were terrible about the other houses but I didn't feel the need to post my opionions to the rest of the world. Who am I to dictate what is tasteful and what isn't, and frankly who are you to do it either? Looks to me like you need a good old fashioned lesson in Southern manners!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, Darren, I never expected for my blog to be read by any of the designers for the Street of Dreams. I apologize for offending you, but that really was my personal opinion on that particular house. While it's not my taste, I'm sure there are lots of people who may have absolutely loved it & I'm sure you have lots of clients. I didn't dislike everything about the house, but a lot of things were way over the top for my tastes.

Again, I'm very sorry for offending you with my personal opinions, but blogs are going to give differing opinions, as people are all different. I'm certainly not an expert on design, but I know what I like.

Sincerely,
Rhoda