Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Debbie's House

My friend, Debbie, lives about 20 miles out further than we do. In the country. With the cows, horses, barns, & beautiful scenery. I love their farmhouse.
It's not old (about 5 yrs.), but it has such a picturesque look out here in the country. Looks like it has been here for a long time. I'm helping her with some of her decorating & we have had a lot of fun with it.
This is the view from their back deck. Could you stand this every morning? A pond in the backyard. Debbie has a riding lawn mower & she & her husband fight over who gets to mow the grass....cause they both like to mow! And, do they have the grass or what? Although lately, with the weather as hot as it is, I think Debbie is rethinking that! And a sweeping field that goes on forever. There's a little river out beyond that tree line. They have a 4 wheeler & have a blast on that thing. Debbie took me way out there next to the river one time & it was so much fun.
Looking to the right of the house. Her husband's siblings all have houses nearby too. It's a family compound. It just seems to be such a wonderful, peaceful place to live. So quiet & away from it all.
Here's the breezeway. Isn't it so pretty? She just got these cushions done & I love how it turned out (I helped her pick out the lime green). Check out the porch swing. She said she spends a lot of time out here & it really does have a breeze, like a breezeway should. I just love this space!

Another view of the pond from the deck.
Across the street is a horse pasture.
More horses.
Down the street. I love this red barn. Red barns just say country, don't they?
An old homestead on the way to Debbie's house. I perked up when I saw this for the first time. When I stopped that day to take a picture, I saw a marker that said 1861. What a cool house....it's empty too. I would love to go in here & look around. Wouldn't it be neat if someone fixed this place up?

Just thought you'd enjoy a little more of country living in Alabama. I love going out to Debbie's house. It's so peaceful & serene.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

44 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

Well now then Rhoda, did my heart skip a beat or what!! One of the homes, J and I fell in love with while looking around my old hometown, is very similar to Debbie's!! We love it. The porch on "ours" wraps around and has a screened section at the back. O my!! Alas...steps and large. We're trying to downsize, but it was nice to see!

Debbie's home and the entire farm is gorgeous! How peaceful and lovely it is!

Pat

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. I love the porch. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I would just love to live in a beautiful, serene place such as that. I am envious of that breezeway...just makes you want to get a good book and tall glass of sweet tea. Thanks for sharing!

candy said...

Lovely ! :)

Greenie Gardens said...

What a lovely place. The house fits the site soooo perfectly. The one down the street looks really intriguing as well. Stephanie

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful. She is blessed to have a friend like you. I bet you helped her decorate. Thanks or sharing.

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
I love Debbie's!!!
I wish I could fix up that old house. I wonder if there is any good junk left in there??
What a great place to live and visit. Her outdoor furniture is so pretty.
Thanks for sharing.
Rosemary

Sonya said...

Beautiful! I want to live with her!

It's a Mom Thing said...

That's awesome! I sure would love to live in a house like that on land such as that one day. Beautiful! So serene. I know they must enjoy it so much.

Will we get to peek inside Debbie's house soon to see what you've been up to?

Anonymous said...

Oh I would love to come visit you In AL....my inlaws live in Foley and I keep trying to talk my DH to moving there and embrace the country life!!! When we were there a few summers ago...I took a ton of pictures of the old houses in Magnolia springs...I think you guys are so lucky to live over there...

sincerly yours, dreaming of the country life in Calif.

Melissa said...

Sigh....Just seeing the pictures makes me relax!

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda - the white house that you pass to go to Debbie's used to be an antique store and then a tea room. I hate that it's empty now. Love Debbie's place - it reminds me of that one house that we toured at Christmas time in Chelsea.

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Your friend has a beautiful home!
There is something so peaceful about being out on a property like that! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Wednesday!
Blessings,
Sandy :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Debbie's home and property is heaven on earth! Just so serene and beautiful! I love the touch of lime green on her porch too - perfect punch of color! This was fun to see!
xo,
Kim

Heather said...

Please tell Debbie that I would be happy to mow the grass for room and board. =)
Heather

Julie said...

Georgous. My favorite is a stately white house with black shutters!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to live in that house! The view is gorgeous. It must take them hours to mow all that lawn!

Manuela

sheila from life @ #17 said...

so if you'll just let Debbie know I'll be along some time next week to move in, I'd appreciate it :)

Betty said...

I like the lime green touch...my 16 year old twin granddaughters just painted their room this color and it's really pretty.....

Nothing beats country living..Betty

Donna said...

What a beautiful home. I'm from Enterprise so it really makes me homesick - can't wait to get back!

Donna

Cindy said...

Her house is breathtaking! I want to see inside!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda, what a beautiful farm. I can just imagine sitting on that swing enjoying the breeze and the sounds of nature.

Marie x

Debra from Bungalow said...

Who wouldn't want to live in a place like that! It is gorgeous. The house reminds me of a bread & breakfast. I'd love to spend some time there.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Thanks for sharing beautiful Alabama!
I hope you shared a glass of sweet tea~ Inside with the air conditioning =D

Andi said...

Love, love, love Debbie's home! I love a porch and porch swing! And the lime green cushions look wonderful!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I just knew you all would love Debbie's house too! She'll be thrilled to read all your comments. I promise when she gets in the new furniture & we get things spiffed up, I'll take pics of the inside. I'm sure she won't mind! We've only been working on this for about a year, LOL.

Rhoda

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a beautiful home you friend has! She's also very lucky to have you help her decorate it!!

Linda

Adele said...

What a beautiful place! I think I could get used to living somewhere just like that. WOW. I love the view! I also really like the lime green cushions you helped her pick out. What a pretty space to sit out there and relax in. Nice job!

Lacy said...

LOVE IT!!!...now, I want/need to add a wrap around porch to my house!!!..thanks for inspiring!!!...Lacy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking us on a tour of Debbie's property. The house and surrounding land is so beautiful. I love the wraparound porch and the pond.

Morgan said...

ooohhhh....love those country pictures!!! They so remind me of my childhood *sigh*. I'd love to retire to somewhere with wide open spaces like that, where you can feel God just by looking at His creation, drinking it all in!

The breezeway looks fabulous, too!!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

I thought that countryside looked familiar and when I saw the old house, I knew why!

Debbie is living my dream life! I'm still "pushing" to live in that area, although the prices are rising at an alarming rate around there and the beautiful countryside will be filling up with subdivisions before too long. So sad. They're so lucky to have family land. Hope they always keep it that way.

Great pictures, by the way!

Sandy said...

Wow, your friend's house is so peaceful looking! Postcard material :)
Fun post!
Sandy

slow poke kate said...

this really reminds me of home in Mississippi. So wonderful to see these photos especially since I have been missing home lately. Perhaps it is all of this rain England is getting lately...

I hope you are well :)
Amanda

oak wind farm said...

Hey there! I live in AL also, right on the border of GA. Nice to "meet" you!
I am enjoying your blog. I ahve recently started blogging myself thanks to a friend that got me hooked on reading them.
I'd love for you to stop by and visit me sometime.
Stay out of this horrid heat and have a wonderful evening!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Debbie's place is beautiful.

Adriann said...

Beautiful house! Thanks for sharing. Yes, Alabama has the mose serene countryside.

Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

What a peaceful looking place not to mention beautiful. I always love to come to your blog to see the wonderful pictures and ideas you give.
Blessings

oak wind farm said...

Hello again!
Thanks for the nice message! I can't remember where I got that Crimson Tide banner, but feel free to copy it for your DH. We actually live fairly close to Auburn University, but I have always been an avid Bama fan! Roll Tide!
Have a great weekend!

Suzanne said...

Rhoda, your friend, Debbie's home is beautiful! I'd love to be able to buy an older home and fix it up!

JANET said...

Such a beautiful place in the country! I like both the new the old homes.

Mary said...

That green on the breezeway along with the green pasture is so beautiful. Such a stunning home - looking forward to seeing the interior.

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Ooh that's exactly the sort of house I would love...sigh...

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, your friend Debbie's home is just lovely!