Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Night Hot Dogs

We don't eat that many hot dogs on a regular basis. I'm usually more of a juicy hamburger gal, but lately we've had some hot dogs around & I had forgotten how good they can be. Publix does their 1 cent mystery coupon every week (do y'all in the SE do those? it's fun to see what it will be each week!) & a few weeks ago it was Publix hot dogs, so we ate all those up for lunch in a few days. So, my hubby decided if we were going to eat hot dogs, they should be good hot dogs, so he picked up some Hebrew National all beef ones & I got some wheat hot dog buns & we were in business. I like to have quick things around to fix for dinner on the weekends, especially now that I'm working, so hot dogs it is on a Friday night. The George Foreman grill comes in handy too. I love to use this for panini sandwiches also.
Growing up, my mama fixed us hot dogs quite often & made this delicious concoction of mayo, mustard, ketchup, chopped onions & dill pickles. Stir all that together & you've got yourself some good 'ole hot dog sauce. I've always been partial to how my mom made it, so I do the same thing. Makes for some good tasting weenies!
A side of roasted red potatoes with fresh rosemary & it's a meal! Quick & easy. I know hot dogs aren't really healthy, but I guess there are worse things out there & sometimes they just taste good. In fact, we're having this again tonight! Do y'all have a hard time thinking up new things for dinner? We get in a rut & tend to eat the same things every week. Of course, I have to fix things that are pretty quick now that I'm working again & the crock pot is my new best friend. Hard to fit it all in, huh?
Thanks, Mom, for the hot dog memories! What's summer without a few hot dogs?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

Amy said...

I'm totally making Hebrew National dawgs on the grill tonight - and that sauce looks so good I can't stand it.

LOVE your meal ideas!
Amy

sheila from life @ #17 said...

wow...and I'm not even a Hot Dog Lovin' Gal...but those look sooooo good :)

Fran said...

Well I know what we are having for dinner tonight....

I love your mother's idea of mixing everything up together. Gonna try that tonight also!

Fran

Anonymous said...

I love hot dogs! We use chicken dogs now to cut down on the fat and calories. Top mine with mustard and sauerkraut. Or cole slaw. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, we must fit in one last summer BBQ with my favorite Hebrew Nationals. What is summer without a few hot dogs?!

Have a great weekend, Rhonda!

Adriann said...

I just gained 10 pounds looking at the pictures. Um Um good!!

Anonymous said...

Girl you make everything you touch look good!We love hotdogs around my house too. Never heard of that brand,but look yummy even if it is still early. LOL thanks again. Your a special lady. I always look forward to visiting you.

Rosemary said...

Love those!!
I buy the same hot dogs only the reduced fat ones. I am going to try that sauce. It looks really good.
OK, now I'm hungry!
Rosemary

Christine Boles said...

I'm not even hungry, and you're making me hungry!!

Anonymous said...

Your hot dogs look yummy, Rhoda!

Here's an easy Crock Pot meal for you: Slice an onion and put it in the bottom of a Crock Pot. Then cut a big round steak into 4 or 5 pieces. Salt and pepper it and then dump in one or two small cans of tomato sauce, depending on how much gravy you'd like to have. This is simple and the gravy is delish on mashed potatoes. As a working woman too, I cheat and use instant mashed potatoes during the week.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a traditional summertime southern dinner :)

Julie said...

Okay - that looks way better than the plain-Jane hotdogs that I am used to!!

Tonja said...

When Don and I lived in Birmingham, he loved a good 'ole Sneaky Pete's hotdog. That was in college days. But, he still likes to grill hot dogs every once in a while. I'll have to make him some sauce like that. Thanks.

It's a Mom Thing said...

Sounds good! Even better followed by a trip to Bruster's. ;)

Steph said...

Well, we are heading to the lake house tonight, and before we head out it is hot dogs for us too! My two children love them, of course! Hubby won't be too happy, but I will prepare his with saurkraut, which will make them more bearable for him!
I do love a good hot dog!

oak wind farm said...

Those look great! In fact, we are also having hotdogs for dinner tonight! It's too hot to cook these days. I am going to copy your topping. I can't have raw onions because I am allergic, but the others will love it! Maybe I'll sweat the onions so I can have some too! :)

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hot dogs! Sometimes I get a hankerin for hot dogs & kraut. I like my dogs boiled & plump. Yours look good & the sauce I would love.

violetlady said...

I love hot dogs. I read a survey online about which was the #1 hotdog and Hebrew National won. I went right out and bought some. They are delicious. I like them with mustard and either relish or sauerkraut. I use my crockpot fairly often. I put a piece of onion (or not) in the bottom, add a chuck or rump roast and a half can of consomme or beef broth, cook it overnight until noon and voila, delicieux. You can leave it on warm until dinner.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I like mine with a little slaw... I can't remember the last time I had a slaw dog.
You have flung a cravin on me!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I am so sorry I keep writing Rhonda! I know someone else named RhoNda and I just automatically type that. I do apologize! :-) I hope I won't do it again, but out of habit, an N might slip in now and then!

Have a great weekend, Rhoda!

Betty said...

Rhoda, I'm not the biggest hot dog fan, but that meal looks absolutely mouth watering....my husband will eat a steak and have a hotdog for dessert...

I think we'll have these soon...

How's the job coming along? I know you are doing well in it...Betty

SarahWhite said...

I saw your hotdogs this morning and thought about them all day!! I guessed on the amounts for the sauce...reminds me of Thousand Island salad dressing...very good. Do you have more precise measurements...please? And I totally copied you on the potatoes...WOW were those good.

Congrats on the new job!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hebrew National are the only dogs I eat... We don't eat them very often. Maybe once every two or three months. I have been making homemade (sort of) pizza every Friday night. You can buy fresh pizza dough at the Publix bakery (I live in NC and I have to drive 45 minutes to Greenville SC to get to a Publix!)Then I add a high quality marinara sauce, cheese, sausage, mushrooms OR pancetta and onions.
Penny

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

We hardly ever eat hotdogs at our house, but boy - when that cravin' hits! there is just no stopping it! I've never tried Hebrew National's. But thanks to your description and your pictures, now I'm gonna have to. lol Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm - that all just looked so good! I can't wait to get home Sunday night and give those dogs a try. Thanks for the idea (and I mean that - my kitchen is normally a barren wasteland when it comes to cooking ideas. I just don't have it in me, I'm afraid....)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a hot dog person, but those look tastey especially with that mayo,onion combo!

Manuela

Tracey said...

Yummy! I love hot dogs every once in a while!

I'm just catching up on your last couple of posts...I LOVE Debbie's farmhouse. It looks like a wonderful place to live!

And I love all the pictures of the blue from around your house. I want you to come decorate mine!!!

I'll even feed you lunch! (Hot dogs okay?!)

Have a great weekend!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

So, maybe we all had hot dogs last night?? LOL Funny how looking at pics can make you crave something, so I hope some of you try this sauce my mom concocted. It really is great!

Sarah! I don't measure...just open & dump, but if I did, I'd have to say it's almost even amounts of everything. Probably 2 TBL of each will do it. Dump in the dill pickle relish if you have that handy (or cut up whole dills), add a little Vidalia onion (the BEST!) and that's it. It should be about the consistency & color of baby poop. LOL How's that for a description? And it doesn't taste like Thousand Island to me at all. I think that's much sweeter. So, it sounds like you tried it already, hope you loved it too! Aren't those potatoes the best? I make those a lot on my pizza stone & they are wonderful. We are growing fresh rosemary too, so that comes in handy.

I'm really loving the job! I'll do a post next week about that to catch y'all up, but it's going great. I don't think I could have found a better fit for me. Of course, the worse part is the 280 drive.

Hope you all are having a great weekend & eating those hotdogs, OK?

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love, love, love hot dogs. But mayonnaise on hot dogs???? I don't know about that. Are you sure that's southern?

Jill said...

Oh my goodness that looks great! We're grilling brats, which are wonderful, too!

Justabeachkat said...

I'm just catching up on my blog reading. Seems like forever since I've been here.

We love hot dogs with sourkraut and mustard. Yum!

I loved seeing all of your blue dishes, etc. Really pretty.

Yep, me and ice cream are having an affair this summer. Chocolate is my all time favorite, but yours sounds really good.

I loved seeing your friend, Debbie's place. Just gorgeous.

Hugs!
Kat

oak wind farm said...

Thanks! They were really good, even though they looked messy, they held together without any trouble.
Our favorite BBQ place has the best chef salads, and they put in chopped BBQ pork loin. They are sooo good! Your salad sounds very similar. You can't beat a good salad. YUM!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

That is a great idea! Looks like a gourmet way to have a dog :)

Anonymous said...

okay, now I must go make a hotdog!
LOL!
xo,
Kim