Sunday, August 26, 2007

Go Yardsaling With Me!

You can see by the clock that I got a pretty early start yardsaling on Saturday. There was a big neighborhood sale near me, so I was pretty excited. I decided to take my camera with me this time just to show you all the good stuff that is out there. I have to always used retraint, as all of the goodies would not fit in my house.
Here's the neighborhood sale sign. They do one in the spring & fall & I'm always excited to see this sign out! Here we go....
I'm snapping pics as I go from house to house. This rocker had a price sticker of $25. Not bad.
These pretty white (they are not blue, as they appear..I think it's the haze this a.m.) pieces were $50 each.
I didn't catch the price on this cute little desk & chair.


End tables were pretty. I think that dish pattern is Franciscan Rose. Didn't catch the prices on these either.
Here's the buffet to match. Very classic piece.
More dishware.
This house had some great stuff! I loved this wicker set. It was already sold (of course, I have lots of wicker myself, so I don't need more, but I love to look at it!). It sold for $40 for this set. Just needs a new coat of paint.
These tables were $5.00 each. I had fun walking around here looking at everything. Little did I know that around the next turn, I'd find my treasure of the day...you'll see it later. Keep reading.


This cute little vanity was $25.00. Some little girl would love this....or maybe a big girl!
This was a new console table, but really cute (wood & wicker). It was marked $25. A lady had already bought it. That clock on top was really pretty too, a map clock, for I think $5. I didn't need it though.
This piece was really cute. I thought about all my shabby chic friends. It was $25 & was an old sewing machine bottom with a nice piece of marble on top. Would look great in the right spot. Of course, I don't have room for this either. See all the stuff I pass up every week??
I did find a Talbot's dress for $2.00. Pretty blue linen & will be perfect for work.
Now I have 3 pears. Found the one in the middle for $1.00 at the sale. It's cracked at the top, but I think can be glued back & repaired pretty easily. And, I'm pretty good with touching up paint too, so it should be fine. I got the one on the left at TJ Maxx, the one on the right was given to me by an online friend (who I've met in real life too, Sally!). And now, I have a third as of today. I got the brainstorm that all 3 of these would look pretty neat on the mantel & I think they do!

What do you think? I think I like them all here together. The colors really complement my painting & I love the fact that they are all green, but different shades of green. You can see this is where I moved the dried sconce arrangements I used to have in the diningroom.
This cute little vintagey oil painting was $1.00. I'm not sure where to put it, but I sure do like it.
Found another leopard pillow for 50 cents. I'll leave this one in the den. This is my hubby's recliner that he lives in.



Now, for my find of the day.......
I looked down...and there it was! This beautiful chandelier....for $20. Now remember, I just painted the ugly brass one that's in my breakfast area. If I had known, I would have waited to paint it, but that's the beauty of yardsaling...you just never know WHEN you'll run across that big find. So, this little beauty will be going above my breakfast table. I have only found a few very nice chandeliers in the past..usually all I see is the shiny brass crap that I'm trying to get rid of.
It's a little dusty, but once I clean it up, it will be gorgeous. What do you think of the beads?? I may leave them since they will look good with my green kitchen or I could take them off. Not sure about that. I was SO excited to find this. After I got it home, I realized that it has been painted by someone. It totally fooled me when I bought it, as I could not tell at all. I think it used to be brass too, but that's OK, since they did a really excellent job painting it. I love the shape of it & this is just about what I would have picked for that table anyway. It came with some faux leather shades that I will probably use. We'll see. I will definitely do a post after I get this in place, so stay tuned. I know I can't wait too long, I'm excited to get it up.



Hope you had fun yardsaling with me! Did you feel the excitement & anticipation...walking up to each house & looking around. Now, maybe you can get just a little bit of how much fun it is to get out there & treasure hunt! I know many of you know this already. And I hope those of you who don't usually go saling will give it a try. It's totally addicting....trust me!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

48 friends stopped by:

Debra from Bungalow said...

Now I'm upset! I couldn't go yardsaling this week....I had to work all weekend! :(

Love the pears, chandy & leopard pillow.

Next week I'll go, I'm having withdrawl.

Anonymous said...

I would so leave on those awesome green beads!! I am currently looking for bobeches with dangly red beads for mine, Lucky Girl!!!

Morgan said...

That white vanity has me weak in the knees! Your posts are so fun, Rhoda!

I went treasure hunting this weekend with a friend...found lots of clothing for my oldest which is just what I really needed...I'm running out of room for big finds as well.

Sonya said...

I'm upset too! I could really use some of the pieces at this sale and the prices are great! I loved the two white pieces that looked blue. I would have snatched those up! I also love that buffet. Your new chandelier is great! What a wonderful find!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I cannot believe the kind of yard sales you find in your area! I could use so many of those items. Thanks for the fun of going with you.
Lucy

Kristi said...

Wow, I've never seen THIS nice of things at any yard sale I've been to!! I'm usually wading through the crap to find (maybe) a treasure. The funny thing too is that it seems the neighborhoods with the bigger houses have the worst stuff. Do you have any tips for finding the good sales? So far my best luck has been in a moderately upscale very trendy neighborhood and older folks' sales - lots of loved treasures there and lovely people to talk to.

Kristi said...

P.S. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the chandelier. I also love the pears, everytime I find one at a store or in a catalog they are too expensive for me!

Anonymous said...

I missed yard sales this weekend because I have now work five 12 hr. nights this week. Im so so dead I just couldn't go Saturday.Going with you was fun,but I wanted to buy hehe.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl! No spectacular stuff at most garage sales around here. Once in awhile we get lucky, in the right neighborhood perhaps, but usually it is all JUNK that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, not even to paint it! Guess I am in the wrong city.

Thanks for sharing your excursion!

SarahWhite said...

Now I feel sick. I've decided to ban myself from yardaling for awhile...my house is overflowing. I knew about the sale and I didn't set my alarm on purpose. But now I wish I had! Congrats on all your purchases and I'm so happy the pear found such a good home. They look great on your mantle. :)

Jolene George said...

You saw so many neat things. How fun! I love the pears. They look so good together. Your chandelier will look great. I look forward to seeing pictures of it hung.

Anonymous said...

I live in the wrong place! I can never find such nice stuff around here. The white furniture pieces (the ones that looked blue) - I have those in my guest bedroom!

oak wind farm said...

WOW! Excellent finds! Wish I had been there! Those were great prices on some wonderful furniture pieces too!
And I love your pears! I actually found a pear yesterday, but it is wood and primitive (my favorite kind!)(smile!) . And I have a very good friend that collects pears. She would love your's too!
And the chandy is just awesome! Can't wait to see it in your room!
Thanks for taking us yard-saling with you. That is just about my favorite thing to do!
Have a great day!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Fabulous post Rhoda! Would have loved to ride shotgun and gone with you! Fun fabulous finds and that chandlier is going to look so good after it's received the Rhoda touch!:)

Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Sandy :)

Christine Boles said...

How fun! Thank you for taking us along!
I'm liking the bling on the chandelier ~ it reminds me of one I saw Rachel Ashwell rework (of course, she was repainting it white!).
Great finds~ great fun!

P.S. ~ a funny thing~ I'd never heard of Hebrew National hot dogs, but noted them when you mentioned them in your previous post. I'm always up for a good hot dog! I figured it must not be a brand in my area.
Then, I saw not one but two commercials for it~ for the first time in my life!
Coinkydink? ~ I think not!!!
:)

PAT said...

Thanks so much for posting about the sales, Rhoda. It gives me a good idea what things are selling for in your area. I believe those prices are comparable to our neck of the woods. We're still pricing and planning for our sale.

I love the chandelier and looking forward to seeing it over your table!

Pat

Rosemary said...

Yes I did!!
I felt like I was right there with you. Would have bought that wicker set.
I love the chandelier. I think it will look really cute, leave the beads and see how you feel.
You got some great buys!
The litte painting is so cute. Love the pears.
Have fun cleaning up the chandelier.
Rosemary

Suzanne said...

Thanks for taking us along on your yardsaling trip. I LOVE thos pears! They look great on your mantel.
And what a great chandelier...looks like you did really well!

linda t said...

My hubby & I were on our little camping anniversary get-away this past weekend. So I went through some yard saling withdrawal... but going along with you helped alot Rhoda! I'm OK now... LOVED seeing all your deals!

willzmom said...

I think I would leave the green beads on too. Wow, what a nice fixture. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

My dear friend Rhoda... Finally stopped by, and see that you still find the BEST yardsales loot no matter where you live! I think we have twinkie leopard pillows- I enjoyed catching up with you here today!

August 27, 2007

Deb said...

Saturday mornings are yard sale mornings here for me too - and we all know that you have to get up early to get the best buys :-}
Great idea to take your camera along and show all the great finds you come across!

Diane said...

Wow, great pics Rhoda. I felt like I was right there with you...except that I couldn't snatch up some of those great bargains, lol. You found some fun things. Love the pears. Glad you enjoyed the yardsaling. Diane

FrenchGardenHouse said...

You get the BEST deals, yes you do! Love all your new treasures, and the prices are amazing.

I know it will all look fabulous in your home...everything does after you get done applying your magic touch.
Lidy

Susie Q said...

What fun...almost as good as going *WITH* you in person! Well, almost!

I loved that dressing table...all white and perfect for Grace's room.
: )

I think your fixture is amazing and I know you will do something stunning with it! I love the beads as well...just my 2 pennies but I think you should leave them!

Love your pears...and leopard print pillow and painting!

Oh did I adore your friend Debbie's home! Gorgeous setting....and those
hot dogs look SO good. : )

Have a sweet week dear Rhoda!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a fun post! I loved seeing all the things you found! I would definitely keep the beads--I love them! I can't wait to see it when it's installed. ~A :-)

Julie said...

That is great! I can't wait to see the after photos of the fixture though. Several years ago, a friend and I grew and painted gourds. Many of them either looked exactly like apples or pears and they were painted accordingly!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Tell me you didn't leave that marble top sewing table there!!!
That was awfully cheap...I found mine on the side of the road...somebody had thrown it out and the marble top I got when they cut the sink hole out of my kitchen counter top. I keep it on the front porch.

Anonymous said...

That was so much fun and girl, could we EVER get in so much trouble together! I'm thrilled you got that perfect pear for your collection - love them all together like that on the mantle AND your new chandy is gorgeous.. oh yes, leave the beads if you can - adds to the personality of it, I think! Fun post Rhoda!
xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

That was fun! I like the danglies on the chandelier. Your yardsales are nothing like the yardsales we have locally. Mostly it's just overpriced junk. Those pears look great on your mantle!

Manuela

Cathy said...

Great pieces and prices! I've not been junkin' in 2 weeks. After reading your post, I can't wait until Saturday.

blessings said...

How lovely, lovely, lovely!! The green beads on the chandelier - sigh! I actually have a table that I made with an old sewing machine base and a door that we cut down to size ("we", of course, being hubby). Blessings... Polly

Cécile said...

I thoroughly enjoyed going yardsaling with you. Can we go again next week? You sure found some great stuff. I go yard saling about once a year, if that. I enjoy it, but it's hard to fit it in. I need someone to go with.

I love the pears and the chandelier is gorgeous!

Betty said...

Rhoda, you did good girl...I like the chandelier....also the dress. I shop at Talbots but only on the good sales.....

Keep up the good work....Betty

Tonja said...

OH, I had fun!! Will you take us again?

My fav was the painting...loved that!

Cindy said...

You have really nice yard sales there! I would be going yard saling every weekend too if they were that good! I love the chandelier. I have my $20 garage sale chandelier that I found a couple months ago on my blog today. Don't you just love a good deal!

violetlady said...

I love yard sales and auctions. I have to restrain myself lately because I have a garage full of stuff. I need to have a yard sale.

Unknown said...

Wow, I really need to get out there. That was some nice stuff. And the chandelier, well what can I say. Gorgeous. Personally, I love the beads.

Gina said...

Oh how fun, thanks for takin us along. You sure know the places to hit!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey there! What time does that clock say????? LOL

That light should look great when you are done with it, nice shape.

Oh that wicker set was a steal. I see why it was sold so early. Long before I was awake most likely!
Donna

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda!
That was so much fun and I'm properly jealous now!! I would have been popping that stuff in my car faster than you can say, "Ka-ching". What a fun time you must have each week. Sure wish I lived nearby!!

Linda

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! I can't wait to see it in your kitchen! I hope you don't mind I added you to my favorites! Just lovely!

Lallee said...

What a great find! Can't wait to see the new chandelier hanging. The pears look really nice on the mantle~perfect colors for that spot. I would have snatched up the rose hook rug under the plates.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! I live in CA. and we just don't have yardsales like you do! They were so many beautiful things, I am looking for a whicker set just like the one that was sold, and just the dishes alone were great.
Thank-you for sharing

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Okay, that's it. I've resisted long enough. I didn't want to add yet one more blog to my list of favorites but you've gone too far now. I've got to add you. Hope that's okay.
I love the chandelier AND the beads. And I could have filled the back of a pickup truck with just about everything you spotted on your yardsale bonanza. Fantastic, I tell you. Just fantastic.

Unknown said...

You do find the best stuff when you go yard saling. That wicker was wonderful, as was all the furniture. The dishes you pictured are the same pattern that my grandmother had - and now my mom has. It makes me sad to think of someone selling it. Hopefully they found a good home.

Thanks for taking us with you.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

This was the funnest post in the history of blog posts! :)

I just loved yardsaling with you through this. We should do it more often. ;-) Great finds!