Saturday, August 4, 2007

Drying Hydrangeas

It's that time of year, when hydrangeas are in full bloom & we can start thinking about drying them very soon....at least, they are close to ready down here in the South. Rememer my Endless Summer hydrangea that was a pretty shade of blue back in June? Well, this is the same one, after the color faded (can you believe the change in color?)...it's changed to a soft pink & the undersides are a pretty green. So, I have cut some of the blooms & put them in my diningroom. Part of them are soft pink & the other part a pretty shade of green. I hope they keep this color.
Here are a few shots of my beautiful Limelight hydrangeas, which are in full bloom right now.
I successfully dried some of them last year & they turned a really nice shade of green when dry, so I'm hoping do do the same this year.
And, here are the blooms I cut off my mom's big hydrangea bush...right now I have them in water, but will slowly let them dry out & hopefully they will stay close to the shade they are now. Aren't they yummy? I may just leave them in this silver pitcher, since they look so pretty.

Someone emailed me about how to dry hydrangeas. It's really easy & they are one of the easiest flowers to dry. I've mostly just cut them at the end of the season, when they feel a bit papery to the touch & hang them upside down to dry. That way you know they will continue drying & stay full & pretty. If you pick them too early, they will just wilt & curl up, so be sure to feel them & when the blooms start feeling papery, you can safely cut them. You can also put the stems in a couple inches of water & slowly let that evaporate & they will successfully dry too. Either way works, so just experiement for the best method for you.

Hydrangeas are such pretty blooms to save & enjoy later. Are you drying hydrangeas this year??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 friends stopped by:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I envy your hydrangeas, they are so big and beautiful! Those bushes do like the water...how have you kept them all summer?
Thanks for the drying tips! Sometimes mine dry better than others~ I never knew why!

Anonymous said...

I never knew you could do that. How long will they last? Do they crumple up after a while?

Justabeachkat said...

I've been enjoying mine inside this summer in a pretty vase, but I'm definitely going to dry some this summer.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Hugs!
Kat

Unknown said...

I just recently found your blog and wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. Your photos are so pretty and your bargain finds really inspire me, as I try to decorate our home on a budget. Thanks for sharing all your lovely ideas.

Kari

PAT said...

Beautiful hydrangeas Rhoda!

I dried some, last year and the year before. Hopefully will have blooms next year to dry!

Pat

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous hydrangeas Rhoda! The ones from your mom are huge. I love them too, they really are my favorites and so versatile. They're pretty on the plant, in a vase and dried!

Have a great weekend!

Manuela

P.S. Savanna is 15 - time flies!

Deserae said...

Ohhhhh I absolutely love dried hydrangeas!!!! Yours are such a beautiful color too! I wish I had some to dry...........
-Des

Nicoletobusy3 said...

I just love Hydrangeas, they are so pretty. You know I was just talking to hubby about the Endless Summer hydrangeas. I saw a show on HGTV (which I love) called "Gardening by the Yard", Love Love Love that show. And he was talking about different types. I may give them a try next year. I need to find a shady spot though, maybe underneath my daughters window. Thanks for sharing yours they are just beautiful. Hugs, Nicole

Mrs. Jones said...

I just put in a limelight. I haven't cut any blooms off yet, because I think it needs some time.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I am tagging you with a unique challenge... come check it out. It's fun. I promise =D

Unknown said...

The hydrangeas are so pretty. I've never dried any before. We do have a bush now so I may have to give it a try. Yours look so beautiful in your gorgeous dining room (love that color in there).

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

ShabbyInTheCity said...

A couple of years ago I stole some out of a yard! Well what else could I do??? Mine simply won't bloom...and I have 5 in the yard. One is the endless variety.
I love the dried ones as much as the fresh I think!

Rosemary said...

Love your hydrangeas!!
I do the same with mine. Sometimes they keep the color and sometimes not. I don't really know why.
They do last a long time. I hope yours stay nice.
Rosemary

Nadine said...

Those hydrangeas are very pretty. I didn't know that they could change color. They look even lovely dried. I love to save dry flowers. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Sigh, I am hydrangealess...and they are one of my very favorites. Yours are stunning and now I have hydrangea envy....(( ))

Barbara said...

Hi! Rhoda. Thanks for info. on drying hydrangeas. I don't have mop heads but lacecap and and a couple of others. I am not sure if these will dry the same but I guess I can have a go.

Interesting that you are reading the Bible through. I have never done this, but often intended. My husband Alan has done it 3 times.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Hydrangeas are obviously a favorite of mine! Yours are beautiful - I have to try one of those limelight varieties. I love the cone shape!

CG said...

pretty...I like them in those silver pitchers.

Vonda said...

Gorgeous hydrangeas, Rhoda! I wish I were there right now with you girl sipping some good ole Southern sweet tea and basking in that good ole Alabama heat! It's only 80 degrees here in Germany (but we have NO AIR CONDITIONING either). Miss ya!

Heather said...

If I could get them to grow I would. We have the worst soil - it has so much clay in it my son actually made an art project from the globs he found. Oh well - I guess I will just have to look at the beautiful ones you posted here.

Heather